or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple will replace faulty third-gen iPod shuffle headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple will replace faulty third-gen iPod shuffle headphones

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Apple this week announced that it will offer free-of-charge replacements for some defective headphones included with the company's third-generation iPod shuffle, sold between Feb. 2009 and Feb. 2010.

The new replacement program applies to the special headphones included with Apple's iPod shuffle that allow control of the button-less media playback device. Apple said a "very small percentage of iPod shuffle owners" have experienced controls that are non-responsive or work intermittently, unexpected volume increase or decrease, and unexpected playing of voice feedback.

Headphones covered by the replacement program have serial numbers that range from xx909xxxxxx to xx952xxxxxx, and xx001xxxxxx to xx004xxxxxx. The serial number for the third-generation iPod shuffle can be located on the back of the iPod underneath the clip in the area closest to the bottom of the device.

In addition, "Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic" and "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" with the same symptoms are replaceable. Affected headphones must include an in-line remote on the right earbud cable.

Users who replace the headphones can use Apple's Online Service Assistant, where, in addition to the serial number, they must provide their shipping and billing address and credit card information. Choose "Replace part or accessory," and then choose "Headphones" to complete the request.

Customers will be sent a pair of replacement headphones, along with a pre-paid return envelope to ship back the original, defective pair. Apple said it will examine the original headphones and ensure they are "recycled responsibly."

Users can also visit an Apple retail store to return their problematic headphones. An appointment with a Genius is recommended for replacement.

Despite the fact that Apple is replacing defective headphones, it is not extending the standard warranty coverage of the device.

Apple introduced the third-generation iPod shuffle -- its smallest media player ever -- in early 2009. The device requires the special headphones included with the player in order to control playback of music.
post #2 of 8
So... the problem doesn't affect the headphones shipped with the 3rd generation iPod touch? The article seems to indicate that other ' "Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic" and "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" ' may exhibit the same issues :s
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

So... the problem doesn't affect the headphones shipped with the 3rd generation iPod touch? The article seems to indicate that other ' "Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic" and "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" ' may exhibit the same issues :s

I filled out the form yesterday using the serial of my iPhone 3Gs. The replacement headphones were here this morning at 10am via FedEx.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #4 of 8
Apple replaced my first ishuffle because of this issue 4 weeks ago, the replacement also had the same issue. Volume would not adjust, self adjust and voice over would play after just 5 minutes of use, then the controls would just stop working. Yesterday in the store they replaced the headphones with iphone headphones and last night at the gym I experienced no issues. I'll keep you posted as to any changes in this
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I filled out the form yesterday using the serial of my iPhone 3Gs. The replacement headphones were here this morning at 10am via FedEx.

Were your headphones already exhibiting the problem, or did you just want to be sure that it wouldn't anytime in the future?

I'm guessing the former, but doing it your way, seems like Apple might end up replacing perfectly fine headphones as well. Unless I'm missing something
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

Were your headphones already exhibiting the problem, or did you just want to be sure that it wouldn't anytime in the future?

I'm guessing the former, but doing it your way, seems like Apple might end up replacing perfectly fine headphones as well. Unless I'm missing something

They were faulty. Apple says in the terms that they will bill the sender for headphones returned that are not exhibiting the problem. Mine had a volume issue that roughly met the description of a qualifying issue.

I mostly wanted to let people know that you don't have to have iPod Shuffle headphones to qualify.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #7 of 8
And how does one find a serial number on in-ear headphones?
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRupert View Post

Apple replaced my first ishuffle because of this issue 4 weeks ago, the replacement also had the same issue. Volume would not adjust, self adjust and voice over would play after just 5 minutes of use, then the controls would just stop working. Yesterday in the store they replaced the headphones with iphone headphones and last night at the gym I experienced no issues. I'll keep you posted as to any changes in this

I spoke too soon, after working out with no headphone issues for 45 minutes the controls rendered useless. No doubt after they dry out they will work again. Come on apple how difficult is it to make a set of headphones that work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple will replace faulty third-gen iPod shuffle headphones