or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 4.0 beta 2 to developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone OS 4.0 beta 2 to developers

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
A second, pre-release version of iPhone OS 4.0 has been released to developers building apps designed for the new system, just weeks after Apple announced the initial beta.

The new beta of the upcoming 4.0 reference release includes "significant API additions" as well as a new tool that makes it easy to provision a device for development, developers familiar with the new software report.

The new APIs largely flesh out the new multitasking and background processing features related to audio, VoIP telephony, location services, and Task Completion. Apps can now request a ten minute period to complete a task, up from an initial five minutes.

The new build also includes a new animation effect in the multitasking user interface, which swipes the current app out of view to reveal the app the user chooses (below, from the Italian iPhoneHacks.it).

Improvements to GameKit (publicly branded as Game Center) and expanded support for Internet mail features are also rolled into the new release, as well as support for LLVM-GCC and Clang LLVM as new compiler options for iPhone development.


post #2 of 38
WIth each new SDK beta I'm always hopeful that more groovy little nuggets will be revealed.

My big hope of course is better document handling but I'm not holding my breath
iPadAlone
Wherein I ponder a future with an iPad as my primary computer...
Reply
iPadAlone
Wherein I ponder a future with an iPad as my primary computer...
Reply
post #3 of 38
Interesting animation...
Am liking the idea that beta updates bring more stuff though.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #4 of 38
All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.

+1

Jeebus how difficult is it to bring Dvorak to a virtual KB?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

+1

Jeebus how difficult is it to bring Dvorak to a virtual KB?

It'd probably take one of Apple's programmers a few minutes or less. Just set up the new keys and layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improvements to GameKit (publicly branded as Game Center)...

Doesn't GameKit include Game Center? Something called GameKit is available in OS 3.0 (I think it lets you connect iPhones/touches locally, among other things).
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
post #7 of 38
I think Apple disabled the camera and video software intentionally. Screen capture appears to have been disabled as well. I guess that explains why the camera continually crashed on the 4G iPhone found in the wild.

Also, the current iteration of Pandora does NOT play in the background.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Also, the current iteration of Pandora does NOT play in the background.

Pandora has to apply the multitasking API to the app. You wan't see it in tell it released. \
post #10 of 38
At least one beta tester's iPhone 3Gs was completely crashed during installation of this update which required complete restore to beta 1 currently in process of re activation. Be advised. Let you know how it goes later.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #11 of 38
The animation is the opposite of what it appears to be (it's a fade from right to left, not left to right) because the guy was using iSight to film, which mirrors the recording.
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
Reply
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
Reply
post #12 of 38
Looks good. I am sure there are more UI enhancements with the new iPhone in June!
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #13 of 38
So far it seems to be bricked.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.


There are plenty of Dvorak keyboards if you Jailbreak.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

There are plenty of Dvorak keyboards if you Jailbreak.

The fact that there are "plenty" Dvorak keyboards if you jailbreak just proves how lame they are. It's confirmation that they are only of interest to obsessive geeks with binary personalities. Android market has almost nothing that is of any value to regular real people, all the apps are ugly geeky copies of iPhone apps.

If Android gives the developer the "freedom to create," why hasn't anyone made anything for Android that's actually useful (to more than the developer), that actually works (without bugs), and has an interface that isn't some butt-ugly monstrosity from the last century?
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The fact that there are "plenty" Dvorak keyboards if you jailbreak just proves how lame they are.

How exactly does one relate to the other? While it's true that the Dvorak layout is not as popular, that still doesn't change the fact that if you do learn the layout you can type significantly faster with much less fatigue and chance for repetitive injury.

It has nothing to do with Dvorak being "lame" or only for geeks. Nice red herring tho!
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch View Post

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.

The english speaking world does, yes. Go anywhere else, and the keyboard is either slightly different (western europe), quite different (eastern europe), or massively different (all parts of asia -- arabic, chinese, etc). In Mac OS X at least, there is support for dozens of keyboard languages that have fewer mac or iPhone users than there are english speaking dvorak users. Of course, OS X also has phenomenal dvorak support, built-in.

I use dvorak because I broke my wrist 5 years ago and am now prone to RSI... aka repetitive stress injuries. I had to have two surgeries to clear up carpal tunnel brought on by the trauma of the wrist injury. People do incredibly asinine things to mitigate RSI, like buying funky-shaped keyboards, wrist pads, etc. Guess what: the amount of time it takes to get used to Dvorak is less than the time it takes to get used to an "ergonomic" keyboard. Moreover, companies go out of their way to support the "disabled." This can't be profitable. Most Dvorak users I know did so because of RSI, and got hooked because it's so damn good. Supporting Dvorak thus benefits the "disabled" and probably makes profit. I can see this as being one of those things that Steve has axed because he's a complete douchebag -- that is his character. If Google releases a Dvorak layout on their phone, I'm going there.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #18 of 38
I just wish they'd add a file handling system that is universally accessible by all apps and allows direct transferring of files to other computers, memory sticks, etc. Seems like they could do it with a simplified iPhone app version of the OSX Finder.

And external video display of any iphone screen, not just video playback. It's already there - they use it in every iPhone demo - why can't they let the rest of us use it?
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

How exactly does one relate to the other? While it's true that the Dvorak layout is not as popular, that still doesn't change the fact that if you do learn the layout you can type significantly faster with much less fatigue and chance for repetitive injury.

Actually, no.

Dvorak is snake-oil and has been debunked in the past.

http://reason.com/archives/1996/06/01/typing-errors

http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...o-slow-typists
post #20 of 38
Wonder if this beta has Find My iPhone working?
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Wonder if this beta has Find My iPhone working?

Nope.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch View Post

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.

There are plenty of Dvorak users around. But even if the iPhone had one, two-thumb typing would negate every advantage that Dvorak would normally offer, so it's not really an issue other than one of key location recollection for Dvorak users. iPad in landscape tho, I suppose is a different matter...
post #23 of 38
Just a few comments:

- Folders are a welcomed addition
- Pairing with your bluetooth keyboard is pretty cool
- Turning off the cellular radio really improves battery life(no surprise)
- The calculator icon has received a facelift
- Integrated email is a pleasure
post #24 of 38
Ooops...
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

How exactly does one relate to the other? While it's true that the Dvorak layout is not as popular, that still doesn't change the fact that if you do learn the layout you can type significantly faster with much less fatigue and chance for repetitive injury.

It has nothing to do with Dvorak being "lame" or only for geeks. Nice red herring tho!

Perhaps the Dvorak layout would have caught on more if John C. Dvorak hadn't been such an asshole. I bet that deterred a lot of users...
post #26 of 38
does 4.0 beta 2 allow for iTunes to backup or does it still throw the error?
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The english speaking world does, yes. Go anywhere else, and the keyboard is either slightly different (western europe), quite different (eastern europe), or massively different (all parts of asia -- arabic, chinese, etc). In Mac OS X at least, there is support for dozens of keyboard languages that have fewer mac or iPhone users than there are english speaking dvorak users. Of course, OS X also has phenomenal dvorak support, built-in.

I use dvorak because I broke my wrist 5 years ago and am now prone to RSI... aka repetitive stress injuries. I had to have two surgeries to clear up carpal tunnel brought on by the trauma of the wrist injury. People do incredibly asinine things to mitigate RSI, like buying funky-shaped keyboards, wrist pads, etc. Guess what: the amount of time it takes to get used to Dvorak is less than the time it takes to get used to an "ergonomic" keyboard. Moreover, companies go out of their way to support the "disabled." This can't be profitable. Most Dvorak users I know did so because of RSI, and got hooked because it's so damn good. Supporting Dvorak thus benefits the "disabled" and probably makes profit. I can see this as being one of those things that Steve has axed because he's a complete douchebag -- that is his character. If Google releases a Dvorak layout on their phone, I'm going there.


I'm sorry, but this isn't logic. It's whiny justification based on one incredibly biased user experience. I'm very sorry for the trauma and difficulty that has fallen upon you, and I wish you only the best is coping with and overcoming all of the difficulties associated with being partially handicapped. But to suggest that other's should support one particular keyboard format or another based on what that style does for the handicapped, is a little whacked.

Anyone can use any keyboard format they like. All that matters is what you get used to, and how fast you need/want to type. Hell, voice recognition software is so good, people don't have to type at all if they don't want to.

There simply IS NO argument for or against any one format of keyboard. Use what you want, and get used to it. Then you can judge for yourself whether it's "good" or "not". Blanket statements that say one way or the other are worthless.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The english speaking world does, yes. Go anywhere else, and the keyboard is either slightly different (western europe), quite different (eastern europe), or massively different (all parts of asia -- arabic, chinese, etc). In Mac OS X at least, there is support for dozens of keyboard languages that have fewer mac or iPhone users than there are english speaking dvorak users. Of course, OS X also has phenomenal dvorak support, built-in.

I use dvorak because I broke my wrist 5 years ago and am now prone to RSI... aka repetitive stress injuries. I had to have two surgeries to clear up carpal tunnel brought on by the trauma of the wrist injury. People do incredibly asinine things to mitigate RSI, like buying funky-shaped keyboards, wrist pads, etc. Guess what: the amount of time it takes to get used to Dvorak is less than the time it takes to get used to an "ergonomic" keyboard. Moreover, companies go out of their way to support the "disabled." This can't be profitable. Most Dvorak users I know did so because of RSI, and got hooked because it's so damn good. Supporting Dvorak thus benefits the "disabled" and probably makes profit. I can see this as being one of those things that Steve has axed because he's a complete douchebag -- that is his character. If Google releases a Dvorak layout on their phone, I'm going there.

I think this "disabled" person would disagree with you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ve.html?cat=15
2011 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4S, Imac 2.0 Core Duo, iPad 16GB
Reply
2011 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4S, Imac 2.0 Core Duo, iPad 16GB
Reply
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard.

I understand the advantage of Dvorak on a full size keyboard. Why would you care on a miniature keyboard such as that of an iPhone?
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I understand the advantage of Dvorak on a full size keyboard. Why would you care on a miniature keyboard such as that of an iPhone?

Perhaps because that's what he's used to using? Just a thought.

But since Spliney does use dvorak, I would think he'd be the first one to benefit from jailbreaking. If I used dvorak extensively, I'd jailbreak to get it.
post #31 of 38
I really really hope Game Center is marketed as "Game Centre" in the UK. No technical reason obviously, it would just really annoy me
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

does 4.0 beta 2 allow for iTunes to backup or does it still throw the error?

Nope.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch View Post

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.

And most of the world uses the Roman alphabet...doesn't stop them including Hebrew, Thai, Japanese and Greek amongst others.

Your point is entirely void. I can barely believe I wasted my time replying to it.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch View Post

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.

Sure, but the significant value of a screen keyboard is the essentially frictionless ability to support alternate keyboards. The lack of a Dvorak keyboard alternative is an oversight that could be so easily corrected. Is there some obvious objection that everyone is missing?
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

And most of the world uses the Roman alphabet...doesn't stop them including Hebrew, Thai, Japanese and Greek amongst others.

Your point is entirely void. I can barely believe I wasted my time replying to it.

Surely you jest. Most of the world does not use the Roman alphabet. It is a very significant minority but it is dwarfed by the Asian and Indian languages. Part of the colonial heritage of the current world is that there are many who use a language with a Roman alphabet as a second (or third, etc) language. But that can change rather quickly.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm sorry, but this isn't logic. It's whiny justification based on one incredibly biased user experience. There simply IS NO argument for or against any one format of keyboard. Use what you want, and get used to it. Then you can judge for yourself whether it's "good" or "not". Blanket statements that say one way or the other are worthless.

Obviously, you lack nonlinear thinking skills, so I'll spell it out.

- The post is a vignette about why I use Dvorak.
- There were no blanket statements.
- There are many arguments to use one keyboard layout vs. another. Typing speed, typing accuracy, and ergonomic comfort are the reasons people tend to use Dvorak. Legacy is the reason people use Qwerty. Indeed, these can be framed into arguments. This is pretty simple.

The basic logic is that there are more than 100K dvorak users in the united states, and this should be enough to justify the development cost of a dvorak layout on the iPhone.

The ancillary logic is that, for all of the features that get put into OSes to serve the handicapped, there are probably more Dvorak users than handicapped users.

I apologize if I just caused a cranial hemorrhage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I understand the advantage of Dvorak on a full size keyboard. Why would you care on a miniature keyboard such as that of an iPhone?

Dvorak is set up to have frequent alternations, so it ends up being a lot faster for two-thumb typing. I've verified this on jailbroken iPhones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomcookie1 View Post

I think this "disabled" person would disagree with you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ve.html?cat=15

I'm glad this blind guy finds the iPad useful. I still would argue that the development effort to build a Dvorak keyboard on the iPhone is far, far less than the effort to build tools for the blind, and the addressable market for Dvorak is larger.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #37 of 38
If you can make an Emoji keyboard, why not Dvorak?
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

There are plenty of Dvorak users around. But even if the iPhone had one, two-thumb typing would negate every advantage that Dvorak would normally offer, so it's not really an issue other than one of key location recollection for Dvorak users. iPad in landscape tho, I suppose is a different matter...

If two thumb typing negates the usefulness of the Dvorak layout to Dvorak users, the same logic should apply to the QWERTY keyboard. Why, then, does the iPhone / iPad use a QWERTY layout instead of an ABC... layout?

Answer: because we don't have to relearn the positions of the keys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 4.0 beta 2 to developers