or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android fans becoming very annoying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android fans becoming very annoying

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I've noticed that, much like the vocal minority of Mac users evangelizing their chosen yet minority platform, a certain subset of vocal Android users are becoming very annoying.

Rarely do I come across an iPhone app review where in the comments there isn't some sort of begging for an Android version from a phone owner. This elicits a few questions.

1. Why are Android users so clueless about the availability of Android apps?

2. Could the lack of a central "market" for apps be a causal force here? The nice thing about the "closed" App Store is that you now what's new, what's in the store and how much it is. I never understood the "I want to sell my Android apps off my site" ideology. People like to shop in marketplaces with centralized focus on a variety of products.

3. If Android is really growing like gangbusters, then why are their users always begging for apps? Could it be more likely that Android is eating marketshare from Blackberry, Symbian and other incumbent carriers which generate momentum but momentum that is often overstated?

It's going to be interesting to see how Android competes on each carrier that has the iPhone. I think Android sells well against the declining incumbents but I'm not so sure it's going to fare well if by the end of 2011 we see the iPhone on Verizon and another US carrier not named AT&T.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #2 of 20
I have no interest in Android whatsoever. The Mac and OS X may still be a minority player but in the mobile space, iPhone OS is now a HUGE deal. The Mac and OS X continues to gain traction, though iPhone OS could be the bigger achievement in the long run. In 5 years only desktops may be running Mac OS X and everything more portable than that could be running a souped-up version of iPhone OS. How interesting, huh...
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've noticed that, much like the vocal minority of Mac users evangelizing their chosen yet minority platform, a certain subset of vocal Android users are becoming very annoying.

Rarely do I come across an iPhone app review where in the comments there isn't some sort of begging for an Android version from a phone owner. This elicits a few questions.

1. Why are Android users so clueless about the availability of Android apps?

2. Could the lack of a central "market" for apps be a causal force here? The nice thing about the "closed" App Store is that you now what's new, what's in the store and how much it is. I never understood the "I want to sell my Android apps off my site" ideology. People like to shop in marketplaces with centralized focus on a variety of products.

3. If Android is really growing like gangbusters, then why are their users always begging for apps? Could it be more likely that Android is eating marketshare from Blackberry, Symbian and other incumbent carriers which generate momentum but momentum that is often overstated?

It's going to be interesting to see how Android competes on each carrier that has the iPhone. I think Android sells well against the declining incumbents but I'm not so sure it's going to fare well if by the end of 2011 we see the iPhone on Verizon and another US carrier not named AT&T.

1. Possibly because the Android Marketplace isn't as well advertised.

2. There is a central marketplace and has been for some time. Where are you getting your information? The point of Android is that you don't have to use it. If Google decided to go all control freak and start blocking apps because it doesn't like their icons, you would still be able to get them elsewhere.

3. Android is not only growing, but it's growing at the expense of iPhone marketshare. The results of the last couple of quarters have borne that out. A couple of models of iPhones on one or two carriers simply cannot match the sheer numbers of models of Android devices coming out from, literally, dozens of manufacturers. Everything I've heard so far has them matching or surpassing the iPhone in global sales in the next year or so as even more models become available.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've noticed that, much like the vocal minority of Mac users evangelizing their chosen yet minority platform, a certain subset of vocal Android users are becoming very annoying.

Rarely do I come across an iPhone app review where in the comments there isn't some sort of begging for an Android version from a phone owner. This elicits a few questions.

Yes, I share some of your sentiment here. Like probably most of us here on AppleInsider, many of the people in my social circles are tech geeks. I have a few friends with phones running the Android OS, and they are becoming more vocal in regards to their wishes for more apps, like I have on my iPhone.

This doesn't annoy me, however. I do remember back not so long ago that there were a lot of us Applegeeks begging for a Mac version of just about every PC game. Now that the Mac gaming industry is starting to bounce back, I don't really mind so much. In fact, remembering how it was for me wanting games helps me to give my misguided (in my opinion) Androidites a condescending pat on the back.

It's nice, though, that these Androidites are the type of PC gamers that used to rub in the fact that there were "no games for Macs". ^_^
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams
Reply
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams
Reply
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

1. Possibly because the Android Marketplace isn't as well advertised.

2. There is a central marketplace and has been for some time. Where are you getting your information? The point of Android is that you don't have to use it. If Google decided to go all control freak and start blocking apps because it doesn't like their icons, you would still be able to get them elsewhere.

3. Android is not only growing, but it's growing at the expense of iPhone marketshare. The results of the last couple of quarters have borne that out. A couple of models of iPhones on one or two carriers simply cannot match the sheer numbers of models of Android devices coming out from, literally, dozens of manufacturers. Everything I've heard so far has them matching or surpassing the iPhone in global sales in the next year or so as even more models become available.

Infinite the veracity of your posting leaves much to be desired. Here you wish to tell me Android is gaining market share directly against the iPhone which is antithetical to the results Apple just posted in their quarterly earnings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...nalysis-2010-4

Quote:
Most impressive: Apple shipped 8.75 million iPhones last quarter, versus expectations around 7 million.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...#ixzz0lwandtT2

How you equate these numbers with Android taking share is amusing and humorous to me.
I'm well aware that there's a pitiful Android Marketplace. One of the tenets of Android is that you may run signed code apps via the Marketplace but you may also appease your "Liberty Loving" fans by running unsigned code outside of the marketplace.

This is a nice way to get Android malware. 09Droid ring a bell?

Droid will have the advantage of multiple US carriers and multiple vendors but the prevailing thought is by the end of this year or early next year Apple will be on a multiple carriers which means Android will have to go head to head and I presume that Android's sales are good largely because they aren't competing with the iPhone on the same carrier.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Infinite the veracity of your posting leaves much to be desired. Here you wish to tell me Android is gaining market share directly against the iPhone which is antithetical to the results Apple just posted in their quarterly earnings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...nalysis-2010-4



How you equate these numbers with Android taking share is amusing and humorous to me.
I'm well aware that there's a pitiful Android Marketplace. One of the tenets of Android is that you may run signed code apps via the Marketplace but you may also appease your "Liberty Loving" fans by running unsigned code outside of the marketplace.

This is a nice way to get Android malware. 09Droid ring a bell?

Droid will have the advantage of multiple US carriers and multiple vendors but the prevailing thought is by the end of this year or early next year Apple will be on a multiple carriers which means Android will have to go head to head and I presume that Android's sales are good largely because they aren't competing with the iPhone on the same carrier.

Wow, feel good about that? I bet you do. And yet your posting misses the point entirely. Apple may have posted record sales, but how many Android handsets were sold at the same time? I refer to the April 5th Comscore results (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...-market-share/) that show that Android and Blackberry are the only two platforms showing any sort of growth, with Android more than doubling in the last quarter.

The iPhone OS is essentially flat (lost .1% of marketshare) while Microsoft and Palm lost significant share. Go ahead, show me how losing marketshare (any marketshare) during what is generally considered to be the biggest buying quarter of the year is "amusing and humorous" for Apple. I'll wait.

As for the Android Marketplace, you post that there isn't a centralized location for apps to be purchased when you admittedly know that's not true. Let me repeat that... you knowingly posted that question acting as though you didn't know it existed (when you clearly do) and then go on to question the veracity of my post? The Android Marketplace exists and is the main place for people to go to find apps. I still don't understand what the point of your question was. A weak attempt to slam the platform for only having 50,000 apps available, perhaps?

And as for your final point, you are making a lot of fairly baseless conclusions. There is no more proof that the iPhone will be on more carriers by the end of this year than there was last year or the year before that. Also, your presumption that Android can only succeed in an iPhone free vacuum is based on what, the competition of the relatively unpromoted Motorola Backflip on AT&T?
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Wow, feel good about that? I bet you do. And yet your posting misses the point entirely. Apple may have posted record sales, but how many Android handsets were sold at the same time? I refer to the April 5th Comscore results (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...-market-share/) that show that Android and Blackberry are the only two platforms showing any sort of growth, with Android more than doubling in the last quarter.

The iPhone OS is essentially flat (lost .1% of marketshare) while Microsoft and Palm lost significant share. Go ahead, show me how losing marketshare (any marketshare) during what is generally considered to be the biggest buying quarter of the year is "amusing and humorous" for Apple. I'll wait.

As for the Android Marketplace, you post that there isn't a centralized location for apps to be purchased when you admittedly know that's not true. Let me repeat that... you knowingly posted that question acting as though you didn't know it existed (when you clearly do) and then go on to question the veracity of my post? The Android Marketplace exists and is the main place for people to go to find apps. I still don't understand what the point of your question was. A weak attempt to slam the platform for only having 50,000 apps available, perhaps?

And as for your final point, you are making a lot of fairly baseless conclusions. There is no more proof that the iPhone will be on more carriers by the end of this year than there was last year or the year before that. Also, your presumption that Android can only succeed in an iPhone free vacuum is based on what, the competition of the relatively unpromoted Motorola Backflip on AT&T?

Same data better article. You don't have to wait.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/com...on-the-iphone/

Notable quote:

Quote:
Its important to note that while Android is clearly growing quickly, it still has a long ways to go to match Apples mobile user base. Apples iPhone OS is also used by the iPod Touch (and now, the iPad); Android still hasnt been deployed on any popular devices that arent phones.

Read more: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/com...#ixzz0lzYHdUxV

From my first link.

Quote:
iPod units: 10.89 million vs. 9 million Street consensus, 9 million to 10 million implied by NPD data, says Munster. Anything above 9 million is fine for this slowly dying line. Above 10 million would be impressive.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...#ixzz0lzZ0MHbl

So for every iPhone that's sold there's and iPod Touch being sold as well which doubles the amount of opportunity for 90% of developers to design and deploy applications. I don't know where you got "biggest buying quarter of the year" that's Q4 Holiday qtr. Q2 is typically a slow quarter for Apple who picks it up in the summer time for Higher Ed and K-12.

If you're allowed presumption on when Android takes over the iPhone I'm allowed the same on when Apple moves to other carriers. Though mine are a bit more realistic as Tim Cook himself spoke about Carrier exclusivity and said their decision on the US was already made. It's easy to read between the lines on this one.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree to here. Though a year from this date I believe I'll be more correct than you are.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Wow, feel good about that? I bet you do. And yet your posting misses the point entirely. Apple may have posted record sales, but how many Android handsets were sold at the same time? I refer to the April 5th Comscore results (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...-market-share/) that show that Android and Blackberry are the only two platforms showing any sort of growth, with Android more than doubling in the last quarter.

The iPhone OS is essentially flat (lost .1% of marketshare) while Microsoft and Palm lost significant share. Go ahead, show me how losing marketshare (any marketshare) during what is generally considered to be the biggest buying quarter of the year is "amusing and humorous" for Apple. I'll wait.

As always, Android fan boys citing US sales only to "prove" their platform is taking over.

The US market is distorted by the incompatible Verizon/AT&T duopoly, giving multi-carrier Android an opportunity to make some headway. However, global iPhone sales are anything but flat, and this, you may be dismayed to learn, is a global business.

And, as Murch points out, when you consider the iPhone platform even the US market is making rapid gains. If Apple ever gets around to offering a Verizon iPhone, I think we'll see exactly how much "momentum" Android has managed. Only so many belligerent geeks to sell to, after all.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #9 of 20
I had the dubitable joy of setting up a Blackberry Bold 9700 recently for my boss. Never seen anything as heterogenous and complicated to set up. Sure, you can change about every setting of that phone yourself, but it's a PAIN to use. So I wouldn't be all that surprised if in the not too far off distance we'll only see iPhone OS and Android compete, because frankly, I think Blackberry's days are over.
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

I had the dubitable joy of setting up a Blackberry Bold 9700 recently for my boss. Never seen anything as heterogenous and complicated to set up. Sure, you can change about every setting of that phone yourself, but it's a PAIN to use. So I wouldn't be all that surprised if in the not too far off distance we'll only see iPhone OS and Android compete, because frankly, I think Blackberry's days are over.

Mom's replacing her Blackberry with an iPhone. I told her to wait until June. She's getting an iPad 3G in the next couple of weeks so she'll be ok.

My buddy has an Android (Eris) phone and he likes it. I wouldn't say he's ecstatic but then again I doubt he'd go too crazy over any phone including the iPhone.

Android's not a bad system but it looks like an OS designed by a committee. Technically strong but user interface kludge. I think iPhone OS 4.0 erases the technical deficit yet still maintains a fluid UI.

Infinitespecter does shed light on an important topic. iPhone sales have plateaued somewhat for a variety of reasons. I think some Apple fans know a new iPhone is coming in June and so they are telling friends or family or themselves to wait. We all know Apple is clever about timing their product launches to balance their quarterly earnings. It also signifies that AT&T's exclusivity has run its course. They've had a few years to get as many "switchers" as they can.

Honestly I like the battle. It's bringing the best out of Apple..they're staying laser focused on maturing the mobile platform and I've got to think that some of the workarounds they are coming up with, will leap on over to the Mac OS.

I look back a decade ago when the web was a bunch of static pages and now look at what we have access to and I know that the next decade is going to see even more advancement and change.

We're all going to benefit greatly.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 20
Again, this "iPhone sales have plateaued" meme has to be qualified with "in North America."

As the latest financial filings have shown, global iPhone sales are growing strongly, and non-US sales account for ever larger proportions of the iPhone's market.

I mean, it's worth pointing out since every other discussion of market share (Nokia's relatively anemic US sales; Macs disproportionate share of the US consumer market) always makes sure we remember that the United States isn't the beginning and end of success, usually to the detriment of Apple products or to the championing of competitors. Don't see why we suddenly forget that when, for once, Apple's global sales paint a rosier picture than limiting ones view to the domestic scene.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As always, Android fan boys citing US sales only to "prove" their platform is taking over.


So anyone who disagrees with you is a fanboy? Small minded much? In fact, I own two iPhones and an iPod touch. As long as I can continue to jailbreak my phones Android holds no draw for me. As for the numbers, I clearly didn't realize that they were US only, though I should have (for instance, where is Symbian). My mistake. How's this though... Android has surpassed the iPhone OS web usage in the US. http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/27/adm...raffic-in-u-s/
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

So anyone who disagrees with you is a fanboy? Small minded much? In fact, I own two iPhones and an iPod touch. As long as I can continue to jailbreak my phones Android holds no draw for me. As for the numbers, I clearly didn't realize that they were US only, though I should have (for instance, where is Symbian). My mistake. How's this though... Android has surpassed the iPhone OS web usage in the US. http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/27/adm...raffic-in-u-s/

Advertisers rejoice! You've found your platform!! From the link above

Quote:
eport was that Android ad traffic overtook iPhone traffic in the U.S. for the month of March.

Read more: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/27/adm...#ixzz0mKsYshfw

We already knew Android was an advertising vehicle for Google. These numbers just strengthen that argument. Google developed Android to become another revenue stream for advertising.

Hey ..nothing wrong with that. Apple's dipping their toes in with iAd but consumers should be cognizant of this info.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Mom's replacing her Blackberry with an iPhone. I told her to wait until June. She's getting an iPad 3G in the next couple of weeks so she'll be ok.

My buddy has an Android (Eris) phone and he likes it. I wouldn't say he's ecstatic but then again I doubt he'd go too crazy over any phone including the iPhone.

Android's not a bad system but it looks like an OS designed by a committee. Technically strong but user interface kludge. I think iPhone OS 4.0 erases the technical deficit yet still maintains a fluid UI.

Infinitespecter does shed light on an important topic. iPhone sales have plateaued somewhat for a variety of reasons. I think some Apple fans know a new iPhone is coming in June and so they are telling friends or family or themselves to wait. We all know Apple is clever about timing their product launches to balance their quarterly earnings. It also signifies that AT&T's exclusivity has run its course. They've had a few years to get as many "switchers" as they can.

Honestly I like the battle. It's bringing the best out of Apple..they're staying laser focused on maturing the mobile platform and I've got to think that some of the workarounds they are coming up with, will leap on over to the Mac OS.

I look back a decade ago when the web was a bunch of static pages and now look at what we have access to and I know that the next decade is going to see even more advancement and change.

We're all going to benefit greatly.

I agree. Apple is a ferocious competitor and is taking this fight "personally", in the parlance of our times.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #15 of 20
Its funny when Android fanboys argue iPhone vs Android marketshare.

There are 2 things that can be compared here:

1) The Hardware.
2) The Sowftware.

When you are comparing the Hardware, no single other Android phone (or family of phones) comes even close to the iPhone. However, Android fanboys like to combine all smartphones running Android, and present them as a single competitor against the iPhone, nevermind that they are being manufactured by 4-5 different firms, who are as happy stealing marketshare from each other, as from the iPhone.

If you are comparing the software side, i.e. iPhone OS vs. Android, Android fanboys love to completely ignore the iPod Touch. The iPhone OS is easily outselling the Android OS, in the US.

Oh, and when you add in the international market, its not even close.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Infinitespecter does shed light on an important topic. iPhone sales have plateaued somewhat for a variety of reasons. I think some Apple fans know a new iPhone is coming in June and so they are telling friends or family or themselves to wait. We all know Apple is clever about timing their product launches to balance their quarterly earnings. It also signifies that AT&T's exclusivity has run its course. They've had a few years to get as many "switchers" as they can.

Great points. Me, and 3 of the 4 people who work right next to me, are waiting for June/July to get our next iPhone. While I am considering Android (I want to see what the hype is all about), none of the others have even given a second thought to it. I am a great example of the Osborne Effect for Apple, though. I lost my 3GS a month or so ago, and decided to continue using my older dumbphone until the iPhone 4 is released.

Also, if Apple releases the iPhone to Verizon, Android is pretty much going to be relegated to Zune style secondary status in the smartphone market. And this will probably hurt RIM and its blackberry sales significantly. In fact, I think shorting RIM in the beginning of June might be a realy good idea. The only reason Android has managed to gain a slight foothold (unlike the Zune, etc) is Apple's complete absence in 60% of the US market. And they are still outselling Android.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The only reason Android has managed to gain a slight foothold (unlike the Zune, etc) is Apple's complete absence in 60% of the US market. And they are still outselling Android.

Not anymore. Android has more marketshare in the US than iPhone does now, and according to this Engadget article, the 5 year exclusive deal that ATT and Apple signed is still in effect until 2012, meaning no CDMA iPhone until at least then.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Not anymore. Android has more marketshare in the US than iPhone does now, and according to this Engadget article, the 5 year exclusive deal that ATT and Apple signed is still in effect until 2012, meaning no CDMA iPhone until at least then.

Stop talking nonsense. Learn to read and process numbers, and the news.

You're Exhibit A for the motivation for this thread.
post #19 of 20
I'm all for competition and I'm glad to see Android in the marketplace (anything that marginalizes Microsoft is a good thing in my book).

What I find incredibly annoying about the Android Army is this goofy implication that evil Apple only wants to control its users and make lots of money whereas Google provides Android for free because it loves you. What a crock. Google is in this for money, people. And I personally would prefer paying for a device with my money rather than paying for a device by targeting advertising that relies on a monopoly of Internet search and potentially the use of my personal data.

A Google world is far scarier than an Apple world as far as I'm concerned. Yet the Google fanatics suck up the propaganda like a sponge. Bizarre.
post #20 of 20
android apps are well advertised! they have a zillion TV commercials about this! plus when you get the phone, the Marketplace is right on the desktop!

i love my droid. love the free gps navigation. if iphone comes to verizon, i may consider it, i'll have to see
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android fans becoming very annoying