or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Towers or a Memorial?

New Towers or a Memorial? - Page 2

post #41 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by trick fall:
<strong>A little off topic, but thought I'd mention it. I take the subway to work everyday and the station I use is a big starting off point for tourists. It's in the B'way, Times Square area. Anyway, in the token booth there's a sign that says "Welcome to NYC, for Ground Zero take the N or the R to Rector St. etc."

I'm sure the sign is up there because the poor token clerk has been deluged by tourists asking for directions. I just find it a little strange how many people are making it a big part of their trip here to go down there. I dunno, I kind of understand the people who were either directly or peripherally affected by it, but seeing a subway car full of giddy high schoolers on their class trip going sits kind of funny.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really off topic at all. It's a part of the whole memorial thing...

People go to these memorials/monuments that way, but I would like to see their reactions and emotions when they get there. I went to Ground Zero (or as the Firemen call it; "The Pile") and immediatelly I was overwhelmed...and this was before the public platforms and all. The smells, the emotions of others and the church where all the memorials were displayed was enough for me...

I hope these artifacts are included in some way...there has to be a rebuilding of all this...a renewal of some sort...
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
post #42 of 49
I hate it when I see the flag with shit written all over it. ****! Don't these people know that's not the place to put your "special" message.
post #43 of 49
Okay, I've put a lot of thought into this (almost three minutes), and I've come up with a solution that should satisfy all parties:

First, we build a single, incredibly tall tower, and flank it with three smaller towers - one to one side, two to the other. You can visualize the effect by making your hand into a fist and raising the middle finger.

Next, we create two monuments at the bottom of the structure. One is an engraving depicting those lost on September 11. The other is a glass enclosure which will be gradually filled with the members of Al Quaeda held at Camp X-Ray as they're found guilty. They shall be fed by the crazy people who currently feed the pigeons (Especially the man who feeds the pigeons around Washington Square Park and insists they're undercover cops), which should also help alleviate the pigeon problem.

On top of the tallest tower, the military will install surface-to-air missile launchers and anti-aircraft guns.

The entire structure will be mounted on a special revolving, spring-loaded base. If, in the future, any aircraft hit the tower, it'll just bend backward, then spring back into place.

The mechanism controlling the revolving base will be directly linked to the CIA's computers, which will continually update with the last known location of Osama bin Laden, thus ensuring the structure's "message" is always pointing in the right direction.

I'm drawing up the blueprints as I speak...
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #44 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by Belle:
<strong> You can visualize the effect by making your hand into a fist and raising the middle finger.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Somebody dun stole yer idear

<a href="http://www.DesignCommunity.com/scrapbook/images/718.jpg" target="_blank">Link</a>
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #45 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>Somebody dun stole yer idear</strong><hr></blockquote>
Well, that's just plain not right. And wrong, too.

I came up with the whole idea after I backed over a pigeon in the car this morning. You just assume they'll be quick enough to get out the way. I'm wracked with guilt.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #46 of 49
<strong>
Well, that's just plain not right. And wrong, too.

I came up with the whole idea after I backed over a pigeon in the car this morning. You just assume they'll be quick enough to get out the way. I'm wracked with guilt.</strong><hr></blockquote>

... and you should be. You killed one of the few remaining North American Winged-Rats. Also known by the latin term: Mus Avis (rat bird). They're an endangered species. I fear one day we'll only be able to show pictures of this majestic predator to our children.
post #47 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>I fear one day we'll only be able to show pictures of this majestic predator to our children.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Willoughby, I'm proud to present you the inaugural Belle's Award, for the above sentence's contribution to making Belle laugh way too much.

I've been miserable since squishing the little feathered poop-generator.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #48 of 49
The real name for pigeons is Rock Dove. I had a friend that was down in the South West and someone said "oh look a rock dove". I guess they don't have them down there? When they were in the "wild" they used to build nests on clifs. So they do very well in the city.
post #49 of 49
<strong>
Willoughby, I'm proud to present you the inaugural Belle's Award, for the above sentence's contribution to making Belle laugh way too much.

I've been miserable since squishing the little feathered poop-generator.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I'm honored. Anything is better than you having to resort to thinking "that little birdy is in a better place now" - and thank God for that.

Whoa that was so filled with irony I think I'm no longer anemic. :eek:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Towers or a Memorial?