or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Hulu fears ABC iPad app could hurt its $9.95 subscription plans

Hulu fears ABC iPad app could hurt its $9.95 subscription plans - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Hulu is being retarded. They actually want to charge for a service $9.95 a month for something that is already offered for free on every other desktop platform. Once you go free, you can't start charging for it.

Hulu at any price is an overcharge in my opinion. Why? because, it's advertisers that should pay, we are the vewership that they are advertising to whom in turn make purchases of their products (if so desired).

Besides, TV has been free for years, yes, there is cable we pay for but we pay because of the quality of the channels and/or number of channels we get.

Not only that, there are so much competition in this area already that it seems very hard and unlikely how you can have a successful business plan of charging $9.95 on one platform when it is already free on other platforms and not to mention Neflix for $9 a month, Hulu just doesn't compare.

Really, how many people do they honestly think are going to pay $9.95 to watch content on an iPad when one can watch Hulu for FREE on a Mac Mini connected to the TV? Do they honestly do any research before acting on their decisions? Don't they think their business plan is out the window when the closest competitor offers it for free? How long did they think they could go on before someone else out-beats them to the game.

I hate Business executives that care more about money than caring about their products and customers first. Yes, they are in a business to make money, but when greed takes over, you've lost the game already. Good-bye Hulu Plus on iPad. Going to stick with ABC and Netflix on my iPad.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I subscribed to Netflix the same day I got my iPad.

I would find it difficult to justify subscribing to Hulu which would cost more but have less content.

They are still running Flash, not HTML5, so the point is somewhat moot right now isn't it?

I guess you've missed all the Hulu app rumors. The website uses flash, but the app obviously wouldn't. They just need to have their TV shows available in an iPad compatible format like .h264.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #43 of 57
I assume there are many other people like myself who will gladly pay Apple to get ad-free, high quality image TV shows that aren't dependent on a high speed WiFi connection.

But Hulu wants me to pay a month subscription for that content with ads and steaming only viewing. No thanks.

Wait til your next flight when half the plane is trying to stream Netflix, ABC, and Hulu to their iPads...won't be so nice then.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I guess you've missed all the Hulu app rumors. The website uses flash, but the app obviously wouldn't. They just need to have their TV shows available in an iPad compatible format like .h264.

I think Hulu has been using H.264 from its inception.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 57
Well 9.95 is still better than 2$ per ├ępisodes on tune.

And iPad french autocorrection when typing in English makes me want to throw it on the wall...

Omg found where to set off the super annoying auto correction feature. I feel much better now!
post #46 of 57
According to Wired.com's stats the iPad is already taking 26% of their mobile traffic. That is in 3 weeks of sales that are only in the US and before the 3G model lands. Whatever Hulu does they need to do it quickly.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ipad-traffic/? PS: I request that AI list their stats each month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Well 9.95 is still better than 2$ per ├ępisodes on tune.

Netflix, Hulu and iTunes are different services that fill different needs. Each has their place and not one can do everything the other can do.
post #47 of 57
Isn't this an example of price fixing?

"CEO Jason Kilar "tried desperately to get ABC not to introduce its free app," because ABC giving away free content makes subscription-based access to Hulu on the iPad seem less valuable.
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Online streaming service Hulu is expected to introduce a $9.95-per-month subscription plan on May 24, but the company reportedly fears a free streaming application from ABC for the iPad could undermine its efforts.

The Los Angeles Times this week reported that Hulu plans to introduce a new service, dubbed Hulu Plus, that would give users access to a greater range of content. Customers would still be able to view the five most recent episodes of popular shows like "Lost" and Glee" for free, but subscribes would have access to a "more comprehensive selection," the report said.

Hulu also has plans to tie its subscription service in with a new iPad application. But according to Peter Kafka at MediaMemo, Hulu's iPad subscription aspirations could be devalued by a free streaming video application from ABC already available on the App Store.

OK, ABC offers the 5-6 most recent episodes for free streaming on any computer as well as the iPad app. Hulu's plans are to continue offering the 5 most recent shows for free streaming on any computer and iPad. I don't see the conflict. ABC isn't offering anything Hulu isn't. Unless Hulu is planning on charing iPad users for all shows and not just shows older than the 5th or 6th.

Can you imagine if Hulu's plan was to do just that though? Why only charge iPad users? What's the point? Even if ABC wasn't offering the shows for free, I'm sure the vast majority of iPad users wouldn't be happy with being singled out.

This is either a made up conflict (I mean ABC owns 27% of Hulu) or a really awful business decision on Hulu's part.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would not make any binding long term deals with Hulu if I were in any of their shoes.

Especially now that Comcast has it's grubby paws all over it
post #50 of 57
Hulu company idiots, i am not dog that needs to be trained. If i can view the content on a netbook for free why in the hell would i pay for it on ipad, especially if i can't view on my tv?
post #51 of 57
We pay for TV, yet we still get ads. If Hulu is gonna go subscription, I hope its gonna be ad-free. I haven't used Hulu in a while; the player butchers my computer. Anyway, I've switched to Netflix, its on more platforms then just the computer, and their "watch instantly" content doesn't expire as often - or never.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

post #52 of 57
Paid hulu would be suckie, especially now that comedy central pulled out. I demand a single place where I can watch on demand ad supported episodes of Family Guy, American Dad, House, Heroes, Colbert Report, Mythbusters, Tekzilla, Diggnation, Web Zeros all in one place.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #53 of 57
I was in the Apple Store yesterday and downloaded the ABC App to one of their iPads with my iTunes account. Turns out it has a glaring massive bug. While watching a show in landscape full widescreen mode, when you turn on the aspect lock it kills that view and flips back to portrait mode. What a huge oversight by the developer. Hope they fix it fast. As is I find this application useless as I intend to use it while laying in bed most of the time and I must be able to lock it in full screen landscape mode.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #54 of 57
Just shows you how clueless the folks at Hulu are.
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecancook View Post

I think for everything but a few niches, like sports, the concept of live tv is dead.

Sports can hardly be considered a "niche" given the vast amount of coverage and ratings big events get. The most watched programs on earth every year are sporting events. I think a lot of people in the "geek" sector vastly underestimate how big a deal sports is for the average viewer. What sports one can watch online are often delayed or blacked out making for a rather incomplete viewing experience.
post #56 of 57
I do not plan to pass judgement on the Hulu $9.95 service until I see it. If I deem it worthy of my hard earned money; ex: commercial free, more episodes, etc.; I will buy it. But what I do pass judgement on is being trained to pay for anything. I recall TV being free, I pay for a premium, more reliable, expanded service when I get cable or satellite. I pay for a phone line and then I pay for any premium services on my phone. I also pay for a connection to the internet, where just like on TV I deal with and sometimes enjoy the ads that pay for the sites and streams that I frequent and enjoy.

The problem here seems to be these people who are trying to train the public to give them money for nothing. The internet is just like TV in that if the show(site) This is how you make the money from them, not training people to pay for anything. I apologize for the rant. Bottom line: TV and Websites are about the same, payed for by ads and if you want them ad free or with a premium service you are going to have to pay for it.
post #57 of 57
personally, I'm hoping Netflix puts Hulu out of business. They already let you see some shows on instant streaming before they are released on DVD (like Heroes), why not extend this to more shows? I'd even be willing to pay another $5/month for that service. At least with Netflix, I'll be able to stream on my macbook, iPhone, iPad, and just as important on my ps3/xbox360 on my big screen.

After I graduated from school I quickly realized I was never home enough to watch TV, and the stuff I DVR'd was all available on hulu or through other streams so I got rid of cable. I got Netflix the same day, and never looked back. Now I watch things because it's what I want to watch, not just because it's on. It sucks for sports, and I will probably get cable again during the World Cup, but I can always go to a sports bar or friends during football season.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Hulu fears ABC iPad app could hurt its $9.95 subscription plans