or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype iPhone design was likely near-final - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prototype iPhone design was likely near-final - report - Page 5

post #161 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Only Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive know how the final product will look like.

I'd be very surprised if Steve would give the actual iPhone 4G to a 27 year old engineer who got drunk sometime in March and forgot about his phone

What the engineer probably got was the technology of an iPhone 4G, not the actual hardware! It looks like they stripped the phone off his (ergonomic) shell. That would explain the nakedness of the prototype.

It's amazing that the internal hardware fit perfectly inside this shell considering that it was actually designed for another more ergonomic shell. /s
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #162 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

He didn't know it was a 4th gen iPhone when he found it. If he had no intentions of keeping it, he probably would have given it to the bartender to keep until the guy came back looking for it (which he did). Gruber also pointed out that you are legally required to turn it over to the police before you can claim it as your own.

I'm not making any massive attacks against Gizmodo or the guy who found the iPhone. Just pointing out the obvious. It does appear that Apple has some legal grounds to go after Gizmodo (if they so choose), and if they did, it would be after the iPhone launch (for obvious reasons). That is all.

I assume the "finder" was very well aware about what he is going to "find". The typical customer of that bar a) knows, that taking the phone from the place is theft and b) got sufficient resources to buy an iPhone, if not already owning one. The customers there are not drug addicted, who need to sell the phone for some little money. So, why should anyone take away an iPhone 3GS and risking legal consequences for a phone which is available everywhere and recently at very reasonable offers. The only reason for taking it away is, that the person who took it already knew about its real character and of its potential value in the moment he/she took it.
post #163 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomokoSuzuki View Post

I assume the "finder" was very well aware about what he is going to "find". The typical customer of that bar a) knows, that taking the phone from the place is theft and b) got sufficient resources to buy an iPhone, if not already owning one. The customers there are not drug addicted, who need to sell the phone for some little money. So, why should anyone take away an iPhone 3GS and risking legal consequences for a phone which is available everywhere and recently at very reasonable offers. The only reason for taking it away is, that the person who took it already knew about its real character and of its potential value in the moment he/she took it.

I agree with you but just to play devil's advocate ...

The majority of patrons in a bar are in fact "drug addicts" by definition. Esp. back when smoking was allowed inside.
post #164 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


I think you might be wrong about not having other models though. It's the fourth generation of the device. "Any colour as long as it's black" might not fly.


It would be very easy to anodize the aluminum body, and it could be made in any number of colors.
post #165 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It would be very easy to anodize the aluminum body, and it could be made in any number of colors.

They could, but I doubt they would do it right away. At least wait for the initial interest to die before releasing "iPhone HD:Now In Technicolors".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #166 of 182
Hope they restore the rocker switch - it's a great design. I can reach into my pocket where the phone is and quickly adjust the volume up and down while listening to call or to turn down a loud ring sound. I don't think to discrete buttons are as effective in these cases.
post #167 of 182
I, for one, welcome our new iPhone overlords.
post #168 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by apophis View Post

Hope they restore the rocker switch - it's a great design. I can reach into my pocket where the phone is and quickly adjust the volume up and down while listening to call or to turn down a loud ring sound. I don't think to discrete buttons are as effective in these cases.

Just for another data point, I have the opposite experience. I find when reaching for the rocker switch, if I can't see it, I almost always get it wrong. Having two discrete buttons that can be felt would make it easier for me.
post #169 of 182
This looks like the phone that will make me switch to Apple... I really like the design, and the new potential features are also intriguing.

I just hope it won't cost too much. I'll be happy if it's in line with current pricing or maybe a little more..
post #170 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

What would you suggest they do? Just send it to them certified mail? They contacted Apple, and Apple wasn't interested.

Hmm, difficult one. What would you do if you found something that obviously didn't belong to you? I guess you could:

- hand it in to the bartender of the bar you found it in
- take it to the police, or nearest lost and found office
- given that it looks like it belongs to Apple, take it to the nearest Apple Store and hand it to the manager

Alternatively, you could:

- sell it to a complete stranger for $5000
- play with it until it breaks then dismantle it
- take loads of photos and post them on the web
post #171 of 182
With all the intense security that Apple practices, I don't believe this is the final design. It is just a field testing case utilizing the same materials as the final design. While I don't have a problem with the way it looks, since I use a cover from the moment I unbox it, I don't think it is a sibling of design when compared to the rest of the lineup. While ATV, Mac Mini, Airport, and even iMacs, use squared off designs, each one of those sit in place and has no need for tactile ergonomics. All portable Apple devices possess a rounded look, with the design intended for a more comfortable feel.

But, then again, what do I know? I guess we'll all have to wait and see....
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #172 of 182
There are some polls on other websites that show that the design is being met positively. The ultimate poll is how many sales will it produce.
I'll be voting with my money, and be buying one asap.
Phil
post #173 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

I'll be voting with my money, and be buying one asap.

Me too.

Adios plasique!

C.
post #174 of 182
I hope there is a 3GS upgrade path. I would pay $99 to upgrade to the iPhone HD.
post #175 of 182
I don't know but it looks kind of "off" for an Apple product. Again I'll have to see and feel it.
But you have to agree decreasing the screen size just doesn't make sense. What's the logic behind that? Ok, leave it at the current size, but make it smaller? It just looks too plain. Not feelin it. We'll have to wait and see.

I was hoping the next Iphone would look something like this: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...vigation-.html

Yeah yeah I know it's not a phone, but you get the idea.
post #176 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfern View Post

I don't know but it looks kind of "off" for an Apple product. Again I'll have to see and feel it.
But you have to agree decreasing the screen size just doesn't make sense. What's the logic behind that? Ok, leave it at the current size, but make it smaller? It just looks too plain. Not feelin it. We'll have to wait and see.

I was hoping the next Iphone would look something like this: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...vigation-.html

Yeah yeah I know it's not a phone, but you get the idea.

I implore people to look at the side by side pictures before complaining about the screen size being "smaller". It is essentially the same size with minor differences due to the fact that they changed the resolution and therefore aren't using the same panels. Instead of seeing smaller and leaving it at that, people should ask how much smaller? From the looks of it, it will still be a 3.5" diagonal, maybe it was 3.51" before and 3.48" now, or something like that. I don't think it is a difference anyone will notice.

I've seen people saying the iPhone looks just like that gps unit. I'd wait to see the iPhone in person though. Pictures can't capture the aluminum and glass look well. A picture with plastic sides would look about the same, but that wouldn't be the case in person.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #177 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I implore people to look at the side by side pictures before complaining about the screen size being "smaller". It is essentially the same size with minor differences due to the fact that they changed the resolution and therefore aren't using the same panels. Instead of seeing smaller and leaving it at that, people should ask how much smaller? From the looks of it, it will still be a 3.5" diagonal, maybe it was 3.51" before and 3.48" now, or something like that. I don't think it is a difference anyone will notice.

I've seen people saying the iPhone looks just like that gps unit. I'd wait to see the iPhone in person though. Pictures can't capture the aluminum and glass look well. A picture with plastic sides would look about the same, but that wouldn't be the case in person.

I don't think it will feel any different than before if it has changed by such a small amount.

Assuming for a second that it's exactly the same size display there are few things to consider as to why it might seem smaller. It could also be the glass top with the black rim closer in to the display and/or the LCD panel underneath is closer to the glass top. They were working on trying to integrate the LCD panel and touchscreen layers. Perhaps they achieved this.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #178 of 182
the comfort contours are lost with this new design.. unlike the previous model,anybody notice besides me? all the other updates and features are great!
post #179 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

the comfort contours are lost with this new design.. unlike the previous model,anybody notice besides me? all the other updates and features are great!

It's nearly 3mm thinner than the 3GS and only 1mm thicker than the current iPod Touch so I don't think it'll feel as bricky in your hand. Plus, note that metal frame sticks out the farther than the end pieces and the end pieces having a beveled edge so it's not going to cutting into your hand. I think it may feel quite nice while also allowing some grip. I kind of miss the original iPhone's grip from having the metal back. The current one is just too slippery at times.




PS: I'm adding this because it's funny.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #180 of 182
PLEASE APPLE DONT MAKE THE GLASS GO ALL THE WAY TO THE EDGE!!!!

I REALLY hope that they dont take this design which I can see high resemblance to imac look where the glass goes to the edge leaving no other material to take the beating.

It would be CATASTROPHICAL for a mobile device to have its display glass to go to the edge like that!!! I ve dropped my iphone 3G once in 2 years and i shatered the glass out of bad luck. It dropped on one very small stone face down. It is the only way to shatter the glass. I know that I hade some very bad luck as to how it fell as Ive seen some vids on the net where people throw them on the pavement to test the screen scratching without any problems of broken displayglasses.
post #181 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

It would be CATASTROPHICAL

It wouldn't.
There's a (black) steel bezel protecting the glass. Just as in the other iPhones.
The other iPhones have a fake chrome trim on top.

The world's most respected product designer is not, as it happens, a complete idiot.

C.
post #182 of 182
Don't count on this 'PROTOTYPE" being the final design. Apple changes things to often. I can just see Apple doing this as a publicity stunt to throw the competitors off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype iPhone design was likely near-final - report