or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Strange twists in life

Strange twists in life

post #1 of 7
Got a call today from an old coworker. seems that my old boss had a stroke over the weekend.

he's ok now, but he won't be able to work for at least six weeks. now my old work wants me to come back. better pay etc. to take his place until he can come back.

strange that i've been looking for a job forever, and this is how i get one.
post #2 of 7
That is pretty odd...did you and your boss get along OK? I can see it being even more unusual if you didn't, and he then learns someone he didn't get along with is taking his place. Life definitely throws a wicked curve ball, although in this case you get a base hit and not a bruised knee / K.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #3 of 7
Gee. Wish my old boss had a stroke. I have been looking for a job for 8 fvckin' months. I have sent resumes two over 50 positions since and gotten nothing...nobody...nada.

Ready to get a job at gun point.

I am so fed up with it all. I will have to succumb to (hopefully?) to the extension that was signed in. But I hate hand outs...I want to work.

But in these days you need a resume to get a dishwasher position....

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
post #4 of 7
Well after being out of work for a month and a half ..I finally got an offer letter in the mail. Shit Seattle sucks. Washington States unemployment is hovering around %8...Tech Workers are willing to do Telemarketing for a job nowadays. It's pathetic. Good luck to all of you...oh yeah..I got my job because I new a coworker there..if I had just sent in a resume I would have heard nothing. As always it's who you KNOW just as much as WHAT you know.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 7
the part that sucks is that he and i are good friends. i've been working for him since i was 15 and in highshcool.

he's a computer guy, and they are telling him he may never be able to type with his one hand again. that really sucks.

i guess it's better to have someone you trust fill in for you when you're down and out, but i still feel bad about working in his place like this.

although i did come back and get an 80% raise over what i was making.
post #6 of 7
[quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:
<strong>Gee. Wish my old boss had a stroke. I have been looking for a job for 8 fvckin' months. I have sent resumes two over 50 positions since and gotten nothing...nobody...nada.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I feel your pain brother, I really do...sucks bad to be in this situation.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #7 of 7
To play Pollyanna for a moment, suppose you had gotten one of those jobs and moved across the country somewhere? From his perspective, he may be absolutely delighted that you hadn't gotten a job elsewhere so you would be there with him when he needed you the most. Be proud that he wanted you to fill in for him and that you can do this as a service to him - that's what friends are for, after all. At the very least, it's good money for a while and a great resume/interview topic for the future. I sincerely hope he recovers well and you can move on to something even better.
"Mathematics is the language with which God has written the Universe" - Galileo Galilei
"Mathematics is the language with which God has written the Universe" - Galileo Galilei
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Strange twists in life