or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Where can i find drivers for my Mac Mini?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where can i find drivers for my Mac Mini?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I want to install Windows XP on my Mac mini (Late 2006)

The thing is I bought it off ebay so i don't have any of the installation disks so I'll need to download the drivers off the net.

Does anyone know where i can download them?
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

I want to install Windows XP on my Mac mini (Late 2006)

The thing is I bought it off ebay so i don't have any of the installation disks so I'll need to download the drivers off the net.

Does anyone know where i can download them?

Problem solved i download this
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4827...FULL_Installer
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

Problem solved i download this
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4827...FULL_Installer

Wow I'd be scared to death to download drivers for Windows from TPB... isn't there a legit, trusted source for this stuff?
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow I'd be scared to death to download drivers for Windows from TPB... isn't there a legit, trusted source for this stuff?

After downloading it, i looked at the files and it looked pretty legit. Even if it wasn't, all i would have to do is reformat my xp partition, which wouldn't be that big of a deal since it was a fresh install anyways.

It worked though so no worries
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

After downloading it, i looked at the files and it looked pretty legit. Even if it wasn't, all i would have to do is reformat my xp partition, which wouldn't be that big of a deal since it was a fresh install anyways.

It worked though so no worries

Some people don't like a free education. The fact that your pirated software "works" does not mean what you think it does. There is very little malware whose purpose is to brick your machine. Much of the malware extant is designed to subvert your computer to perform tasks in furtherance of other nefarious ends. It can't very well do that if your computer doesn't "work," now can it?

Apple will send you a replacement System Restore disc at minimal charge. Apple's disc does not place your machine or the machines of your family, friends, and colleagues at risk.
post #6 of 13
Actually, this whole thread could have been a setup to spread the malware... you never know.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Some people don't like a free education. The fact that your pirated software "works" does not mean what you think it does. There is very little malware whose purpose is to brick your machine. Much of the malware extant is designed to subvert your computer to perform tasks in furtherance of other nefarious ends. It can't very well do that if your computer doesn't "work," now can it?

Apple will send you a replacement System Restore disc at minimal charge. Apple's disc does not place your machine or the machines of your family, friends, and colleagues at risk.

Okay I decided I would go ahead and extract the files to a folder and scan it with AVG. It was completely clean 0 infections, 0 spyware, nothing.

On a side note my mac mini is just being used as a HTPC so it's not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, this whole thread could have been a setup to spread the malware... you never know.

lol. I couldn't be bothered to do that. If you don't trust the torrent then don't download it. Or if you do then i highly recommend you scan it for viruses/spyware yourself.
post #8 of 13
Meanwhile there's a myth that because there are no viruses and fewer malware attacks for Mac, Mac is less secure than Windows because Mac users take security for granted and are leaving their systems wide open for imminent attack. I think this thread, if the anecdote is any indication, throws that theory out of the water.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Meanwhile there's a myth that because there are no viruses and fewer malware attacks for Mac, Mac is less secure than Windows because Mac users take security for granted and are leaving their systems wide open for imminent attack. I think this thread, if the anecdote is any indication, throws that theory out of the water.

Complete and utter nonsense. A Windows computer does not magically assume the security of MacOS X because it has an Apple logo. No MacOS X fanboy, advocate, user, or owner with half a brain would claim that it does. A Mac mini running Windows is a Windows machine with all of the security issues of any other Windows machine.

To be sure, it would be stupid in the highest degree to download MacOS X via torrents. It is conceivable that the OS could have been altered. That is not the case here. The OP downloaded Windows drivers so because he wanted to install Windows on his computer.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Complete and utter nonsense. A Windows computer does not magically assume the security of MacOS X because it has an Apple logo. No MacOS X fanboy, advocate, user, or owner with half a brain would claim that it does. A Mac mini running Windows is a Windows machine with all of the security issues of any other Windows machine.

To be sure, it would be stupid in the highest degree to download MacOS X via torrents. It is conceivable that the OS could have been altered. That is not the case here. The OP downloaded Windows drivers so because he wanted to install Windows on his computer.

I think you misunderstood my point.

We are Mac users here. Here we're actively advocating careful measures to protect ourselves from malware.

Meanwhile a Windows user is saying he doesn't need to be careful.

That's my point. That Mac users may in fact be more security aware than Windows users, which is contrary to the widespread myth.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I think you misunderstood my point.

We are Mac users here. Here we're actively advocating careful measures to protect ourselves from malware.

Meanwhile a Windows user is saying he doesn't need to be careful.

That's my point. That Mac users may in fact be more security aware than Windows users, which is contrary to the widespread myth.

I think people are to cautious. I think if your an advanced user and know what your doing then your pretty safe. If something looks suspicious then I'll stay away from it but like I said the torrent looked legit so i went ahead and installed it. After reading your guys posts I decided I'd scan it for virus/melware and it turned out I was right and it was clean.

I haven't really taken security that seriously and I've never had any problems, though I have AVG running in the background all the time.

People that have these sorts of issues are the ones that have no idea how to use a computer and download random .zip files of the net and install whatever is in them onto their computer.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...

That's my point. That Mac users may in fact be more security aware than Windows users, which is contrary to the widespread myth.

Thanks for clarifying your point. We are in agreement then.

In the meantime, our Windows-using friend doubles-down on his egregious misunderstanding of security issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

I think people are to cautious. I think if your an advanced user and know what your doing then your pretty safe. If something looks suspicious then I'll stay away from it but like I said the torrent looked legit so i went ahead and installed it. After reading your guys posts I decided I'd scan it for virus/melware and it turned out I was right and it was clean.

...

This is so not true. You completely misunderstand the nature of Windows security issues and the measures required to mitigate them. You labor under the delusion that a user will "know" when his/her system is infected. This is the case of some badly written malware. Well-written malware operates silently with no noticeable degradation of performance. Many users of unprotected Windows computers have no idea that they are infected until someone installs antivirus software on their machines.
post #13 of 13

Thanks a lot man! This really helped out!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Where can i find drivers for my Mac Mini?