or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 
Google this week said it plans to bring Google Maps Navigation, its free turn-by-turn GPS software already available on Android, to other platforms, but disputed reports that it was confirmed for the iPhone [updated].

According to MacUser, Google officials confirmed at a London, England, press conference that its satellite navigation software would be coming to "other" platforms, including the iPhone. No dates for potential availability were given.

Update: Contacted by PCWorld, a Google spokesperson clarified and said that while the company will bring its software to "other platforms," it has not confirmed the software is coming to the iPhone. "We did not say we would bring it to iPhone, we said to date we've had it on Android and that in the future it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will be coming to iPhone at all," the spokesperson said.

This week, the service became available to the first countries in Europe, with the U.K. and Ireland getting access to the software. It is currently available on handsets running Android 1.6 and higher, and is available as a free download from the Android Market.

Google Maps Navigation was introduced last year when the Motorola Droid first went on sale in the U.S. It offers 3D views, turn-by-turn voice guidance and automatic routing. The service requires an Internet connection to download maps and routes, and uses a persistent connection to offer features such as live traffic updates. However, losing a connection temporarily does not kill the service, Mobile Maps Product Manager Steve Lee said.

"Google Maps pre-caches the entire route," he said. "It needs a data connection when you ask for navigation. But while driving to your destination, if you intermittently lose the connection, it will still carry on, as long as you stay on the route."

The application uses Google's Maps data, including satellite view and street view. It also has voice search capabilities, and a special car dock mode that's intended to be used at arm's length.



Last October, Google officials told AppleInsider that its free online navigation service would come to the iPhone if the software was approved by Apple for release in the App Store. Google has had difficulty getting its applications approved in the past, with the search giant releasing its Latitude software as a browser-based Web application. The most high-profile issue between Apple and Google came over the Google Voice application, which Apple said too closely resembled the native features of the iPhone.

A number of GPS navigation applications already exist on the App Store, though they are not free. One of the most popular options from TomTom offers a U.S.-only map for $59.99, and numerous other international options are available. TomTom revealed earlier this year that it sold more than 100,000 copies of its iPhone application at the end of 2009.
post #2 of 96
I always use navigation. That's why I'm FIRST Mo' fo's!!!
post #3 of 96
It would be interesting to see how this application will develop. And whether Google would make the App comply with the terms of agreement set by Apple.

Since it is free, I wonder how it would affect the business of the other GPS Apps, like TomTom, which are very costly. Do I see the future from the past? Netscape vs Internet Explorer? All those Search engines, then comes Google Search.

It would be interesting too how it would affect Apple's own Maps ambitions. Didn't Apple just acquire their own Map company?

I am sure eventually there will be advertisements in the Google Apps. iAd vs AdMob?

The direct Apple vs. Google competition thickens. Tighten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride.

CGC
post #4 of 96
I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.
post #5 of 96
This will be awsome with the 3G/GPS iPad.

Of course with a doc solution. The display form factor would be great for individuals who have problems with the smaller displays and bigger button's help you pick the right options.

Can't wait!
post #6 of 96
I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Ok google, go back to sleep now.
post #7 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Ok google, go back to sleep now.

Er, what?!
post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Ok google, go back to sleep now.

This is an App for the iPhone. And read the article again. Unless you have something else in mind. Please elaborate, because I don't get your response.

Unless Apple rejects this, for reasons outlined in my prior post, this will become very popular. It may even kill the other related Apps, or force them to reduce the prices charged. Competition is good.

CGC

Edit: "It Pays to Read Before We Respond"
post #9 of 96
It looks like a decent enough GPS turn by turn app, we'll see how it pans out when it hits the streets
post #10 of 96
I really don't see why this needs to be its own App. How annoying. If Google wants to do this, why don't they just pick up the phone and tell Apple, so they can roll it into the current built-in Google Maps app...this makes WAY too much sense to avoid.

Why would they make a whole other app for just turn by turn? There needs to be COMMUNICATION, so that the user doesn't suffer. If its going to be Free, then build it into Maps.app and call it a day. Finally the Maps app would be a little more useful.
post #11 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Ok google, go back to sleep now.

In a mountanous area such as northern New Hampshire this would be correct. Unless AT&T add a lot more towers. However, being free means I'd grab it to use where it will work. What's not to like about free
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #12 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google this week said it plans to bring Google Maps Navigation, its free turn-by-turn GPS software already available on Android, as an application for Apple's iPhone.

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.
post #13 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Damn good question.

Off topic, but love your ban list tips. Isn't it a shame the system doesn't auto include replies to their troll posts.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.

sorry to be so OFF subject here.. but my life is not now complete.. but it would be if..

If only Apple would split 4 for 1 and allow the market to reconsider its valuation. These high stock prices over 200 just never jibe easily with growth rate of revenue and net earnings.. here we have wall street finally adjusting the trailing earnings PE value on their crap sheets on line.. and we see it has fallen from a PE of 25 pre earnings announcement to a PE of 22.6 two days after they are made public. I have no patience for this - a split 4 or 5 to 1 would bring the stock price down to a level that they could add and subtract and even multiply a PE that Apple deserves. It should be 40!

11.78 12 month trailing earnings x 22.6 = 266.45
11.78 trailing earnings x 25 = 294.00
11.78 trailing earnings x 30 = 353.00
post #15 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I really don't see why this needs to be its own App. How annoying. If Google wants to do this, why don't they just pick up the phone and tell Apple, so they can roll it into the current built-in Google Maps app...this makes WAY too much sense to avoid.

Why would they make a whole other app for just turn by turn? There needs to be COMMUNICATION, so that the user doesn't suffer. If its going to be Free, then build it into Maps.app and call it a day. Finally the Maps app would be a little more useful.


Well, it is free. The more Google Apps, the more places where Ads can be placed. Ads is the bread and butter of Google.

Also, there are other uses for the Google Maps that need not have to have a more complex algorithm, like the "turn by turn" application.

CGC
post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Damn good question.

Off topic, but love your ban list tips.

It's one of the most comprehensive I've seen.
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

sorry to be so OFF subject here.. but my life is not now complete.. but it would be if..

If only Apple would split 4 for 1 and allow the market to reconsider its valuation. These high stock prices over 200 just never jibe easily with growth rate of revenue and net earnings.. here we have wall street finally adjusting the trailing earnings PE value on their crap sheets on line.. and we see it has fallen from a PE of 25 pre earnings announcement to a PE of 22.6 two days after they are made public. I have no patience for this - a split 4 or 5 to 1 would bring the stock price down to a level that they could add and subtract and even multiply a PE that Apple deserves. It should be 40!

11.78 12 month trailing earnings x 22.6 = 266.45
11.78 trailing earnings x 25 = 294.00
11.78 trailing earnings x 30 = 353.00

It distracts from the flow of the discussion.

Not that I am not guilty of the same weakness.

CGC
post #18 of 96
hasn't there been rumors of apple making a turn by turn app??
so is our view smaller because of "ads"
well garmin et al are pooping bricks right now.
i was going to upgrade the software for my nuvi 360 but they want $100
well that market is now gone.
its cheaper for me to buy a refurbished unit, they offer 1 free upgrade, THEN
this announcement came up.....guess i can save the $$$$ toward my new iphone

but i hope apple brings one as well.

maybe that was what SJ and smidt were taling about over a cup of "joe"
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #19 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #20 of 96
It would seem Google are not with holding killer apps from Apple possibly indicating their rivalry is not as bitter as some believe. That coffe meeting may have been more about strategy than mending fences.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #21 of 96
Cue another mass sell off of share holders....

I'm excited about getting a GPS this good on the iPhone but "Do no evil?" Google will very quickly exterminate the GPS market. Personally, I'd prefer to pay for a product and know it's mine, with Google you always have to question how the other shoe is going to drop...
post #22 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.

that's good to know.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #23 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Relevant to my first response here, Google is aware that Apple bought a small Mapping company. Unless Apple provides an Apple Map and GPS for free, or at low cost with very much improved features, guess which App will prevail?

Then there are advertisements -- another area where Google and Apple are likely to compete.

When it comes to the users, what you state will apply whatever App they use -- if you are correct.

CGC
post #24 of 96
The issues between Apple and Google over Voice and Latitude really stick in my craw. Wherever that is.
post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Cue another mass sell of of share holders....

I'm excited about getting getting a GPS this good on the iPhone but "Do no evil?" Google will very quickly exterminate the GPS market. Personally, I'd prefer to pay for a product and know it's mine, with Google you always have to question how the other shoe is going to drop.

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellite receiver too.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellie receiver too.

Yes and no. The GPS will work without telephone or wireless coverage. If the route is cached before you loose your data connection, you won't even notice. It doesn't say what happens if you take an alternate route though. Although it might cache alternate routes as well, it may not.

Once it has the data locally though, you should be fine regardless of Edge/3G or voice communications.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #27 of 96
I see this as a another step for Google toward location-based advertising. Why should they care about having a paid app when a huge amount of revenue comes from ads- I'm sure they want get their claws deep into this new advertising realm.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
post #28 of 96
No doubt that this will hurt Garmin and Tom Tom, but there will still be a market for their products for several reasons. First, relying on the cloud for maps means a less reliable experience. Sure, you can download your route before you leave, but what if you have to deviate from your route and your connection is flaky? Well, i guess that means you're lost. Second, my experience has been that google's maps and directions have more errors than Garmin's, at least where I live. Third, the GPS antenna in a phone is typically not as good as in a dedicated unit.

As always, Google provides products that are fine for the price (free), but they are not as good as products from a company that regards you as a customer rather than just another set of eyeballs for their ads.
post #29 of 96
now this is what I'm calling good news!
cannot wait to have it and USE it!

PS: still need a backup app for when Google's "cloud" servers will be down
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #30 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Why wouldn't it be free? It's free for Android. There isn't anything special about navigation data that prevents AT&T from passing, or knowing it's being transmitted over their network. AT&T charges for their plan/software because they can. Google already gives their data away for free as their revenue stream comes from other places.

I've got Google Navigation on my HTC Hero and it's decent. It caches the instructions so if you lose cell connection, it will display all the turns. It has similar features to dedicated devices, and throws a couple extras in there too. If you have a network connection, you can switch to Street View and it will live update, albeit slowly to show you where you are at with turns overlaid on the photos.
post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.

Currently
Quote:
Price: iPhone app is free. Use of Navigator costs $9.99 per month, rolled into your AT&T wireless bill.

http://gps.about.com/od/mobilephoneg...tor_iPhone.htm

I don't AT&T doing anything different for Google's product.

We are trying to determine the costs for other like services. Unfortunately our evidence it anecdotal. However our preliminary understanding is that these apps require a separate data plan. Unless, as in most countries, data plans are not unlimited, you can use your realtime navigation apps (and for example, tethering) because your usage is drawn from your total contracted data plan.
post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellite receiver too.

Without G/WiFi connection, it is not going to work perfectly. However, as the article indicated, the information can be stored, so that if you take the same route, as originally planned, it should work.

Now, if you are blocked by traffic or some other forces beyong your control, and plan to modify your route, then you are screwed if you do not have G/WiFi connection.

How did people navigate before these modern wonders? Maps of course. Since the original turn by turn direction is stored (along with the Map), it is then possible to use the information to deal with "detours".

CGC
post #33 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollespm View Post

Why wouldn't it be free? It's free for Android. There isn't anything special about navigation data that prevents AT&T from passing, or knowing it's being transmitted over their network. AT&T charges for their plan/software because they can. Google already gives their data away for free as their revenue stream comes from other places.

I've got Google Navigation on my HTC Hero and it's decent. It caches the instructions so if you lose cell connection, it will display all the turns. It has similar features to dedicated devices, and throws a couple extras in there too. If you have a network connection, you can switch to Street View and it will live update, albeit slowly to show you where you are at with turns overlaid on the photos.

Who is your service? Perhaps you could post a complete and comprehensive breakdown of your monthly costs.
post #34 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Currently

I don't AT&T doing anything different for Google's product.

We are trying to determine the costs for other like services. Unfortunately our evidence it anecdotal. However our preliminary understanding is that these apps require a separate data plan. Unless, as in most countries, data plans are not unlimited, you can use your realtime navigation apps (and for example, tethering) because your usage is drawn from your total contracted data plan.

That is for AT&T's app service. This is Google's app, which is of course free (no service cost).
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #35 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.

What about the app for Ipad. Much easier to see then Iphone. Not sure if this is a good question, be kind
post #36 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yes and no. The GPS will work without telephone or wireless coverage. If the route is cached before you loose your data connection, you won't even notice. It doesn't say what happens if you take an alternate route though. Although it might cache alternate routes as well, it may not.

Once it has the data locally though, you should be fine regardless of Edge/3G or voice communications.

thanks to all who answered me. I reading all this on my iPhone without reading glasses so sorry if I missed the answers in the article.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Well, it is free. The more Google Apps, the more places where Ads can be placed. Ads is the bread and butter of Google.

Also, there are other uses for the Google Maps that need not have to have a more complex algorithm, like the "turn by turn" application.

CGC

Yes but new developer rules apparently forbid the analyzing of data for targeted user ads which basically just leaves generic location type ads. One can see why Google wasn't in too much of a hurry to release this.

I would have liked to see this built into the current Maps application but I don't see Apple going out of their way to do this.
post #38 of 96
Damn it, I was actually really exited for this. Now they are saying they don't confirm, which means more likely then not it will not come to iPhone. Seeing as A and G are on the rocks this would have smoothed things over. Maps for iPhone needs an update (turn by turn, voice, offline use) and I am hoping we will see the upgrade in 4.0.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #39 of 96
I would be very surprised if this (or something like this) does not come to the iphone/ipad very soon. My guess is a free apple version using iAd.

EIther way, I can use my Garmin for now and let google and Uncle Steve sort out the details. My assessment of stand-alone GPSes is that they are looking extremely dated. Much like those wiz bang Nokias that looked so awesome before the iphone, very few people will be continue to be satisfied with them once they get a gander at technology like this-- which is only at its infancy right now.
post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Damn it, I was actually really exited for this. Now they are saying they don't confirm, which means more likely then not it will not come to iPhone. Seeing as A and G are on the rocks this would have smoothed things over. Maps for iPhone needs an update (turn by turn, voice, offline use) and I am hoping we will see the upgrade in 4.0.

Just saw the post from PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19485...yturn_gps.html

I guess the war continues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]