or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Police investigating Gizmodo's iPhone prototype story

Police investigating Gizmodo's iPhone prototype story - Page 2

post #41 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Oh I see you turn to humor now that you know how wrong your initial comment was. Based on your logic I can steal stuff from our neighbor state and never worry since I don't live in that state. I am sure you will make an excellent defense lawyer

If what you call "stealing" applies in both states. This isn't grand-theft, so nope.

I'm sure you'll make a great prosecutor.
post #42 of 393
Inevitable action on the cop's part after all the publicity.
In the end I think Gizmodo will pay for this in some way; Nick Denton could blog from Jail.
post #43 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Inevitable action on the cop's part after all the publicity.
In the end I think Gizmodo will pay for this in some way; Nick Denton could blog from Jail.

You mean if Nick wasn't sitting on the other side of the country from where the law exists.
post #44 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post

If what you call "stealing" applies in both states. This isn't grand-theft, so nope.

You logic was that CA can't prosecute Gawker because they are not based in CA. It doesn't matter if the act was legal or not in NYC. Crimes are prosecuted based on where the crime was committed not where the criminal lives.
post #45 of 393
Quote:

You logic was that CA can't prosecute Gawker because they are not based in CA. It doesn't matter if the act was legal or not in any NYC. Crimes are prosecuted based on where the crime was committed not where the criminal lives.

Right - that's why you can smoke medical pot - like in CA - in NYC. Go ahead! It doesn't matter!
post #46 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Seems to me that Apple needs to be careful here. They might just end up creating an incentive to sell a future iDevice prototype to somebody who isn't based in the US and who won't be so cooperative as to give the device back.

This is the dumbest comment I've read so far (and there was quite the competition).

So you're saying that Apple should ignore someone parading their IP on the web (which was possibly obtained illegally) for fear that it might happen again and that person might not like how Apple dealt with this case? Come on.

If someone engages in illegal activity they deserve the appropriate consequences for their actions plain and simple. If Gizmodo did indeed partake in illegal behavior by buying stolen property and then profit from it, then I hope Apple pursues this to the fullest extent possible.

Now if Apple was seeking a punishment of say... public disemboweling, then your caution to Apple would make sense.
post #47 of 393
Quote:

You too can play lawyer!

I think your scathing comments are clouding what would otherwise be valid points for a counter argument.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #48 of 393
Quote:

You mean if Nick wasn't sitting on the other side of the country from where the law exists.

It's the jurisdiction in which the crime was committed you silly goose.
post #49 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

It's the jurisdiction in which the crime was committed you silly goose

Yep good luck sending that to the NY DA's office. Perhaps you can bring some CA-medical pot with you too.
post #50 of 393
Quote:

State law does not supersede federal law, namely the National Stolen Property Act.

California law defines grand larceny as anything more than $400. Apple can legitimately argue that because the prototype contains trade secrets, it's worth far more money than you can imagine, more than just the raw materials.
post #51 of 393
... ...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #52 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

State law does not supersede federal law, namely the <a href="http://eca.state.gov/icpp/18-2314.html">National Stolen Property Act</a>.

California law defines grand larceny as anything more than $400. Apple can legitimately argue that because the prototype contains trade secrets, it's worth far more money than you can imagine, more than just the raw materials.

And trade secrets are usually found in bars. That'll be one hell of a defense. Can't wait to see it.

Hey someone tried to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge in a bar - shhh - it's a secret!
post #53 of 393
Quote:

Right - that's why you can smoke medical pot - like in CA - in NYC. Go ahead! It doesn't matter!

By doing so you broke NYC law in NYC. Gawker broke CA law in CA. Where they are based doesn't matter. Thanks for proofing my point.
post #54 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Who in fuckdom has ever left ANYTHING on a bar stool?

I did. Her name was Theresa...
post #55 of 393
Quote:

Yep good luck sending that to the NY DA's office. Perhaps you can bring some CA-medical pot with you too.

I can see why you keep drawing conclusions to medical cannabis - any individual with an iota of logic is reading your comments and thinking "man, this r-tard must be high."
post #56 of 393
I wouldn't be surprised if it finally comes to light that the software engineer didn't leave the iPhone protoype lying around, but rather, was the victim of a pickpocket.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #57 of 393
Quote:

By doing so you broke NYC law in NYC. Gawker broke CA law in CA. Where they are based doesn't matter. Thanks for proofing my point.

Where the law is based doesn't either by your logic
post #58 of 393
Dr.No is obviously a troll. Stop feeding him.
post #59 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandMineHare View Post

Dr.No is obviously a troll. Stop feeding him.

he's been feeding himself pot brownies.. how else do you explain his reasoning?
post #60 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sweaters View Post

I can see why you keep drawing conclusions to medical cannabis - any individual with an iota of logic is reading your comments and thinking "man, this r-tard must be high."

You can't be gay and married in CA - you can in other states - but that doesn't matter either right?
post #61 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

The problem is Gizmodo people are not journalists. They are part of a blog.

IMHO they are scum that don't deserve page hits.

However, Giz does do everything possible to deliver the truth about one technology aspect or another (even if it involves breaking the law, apparently).

That's much more than can be said for the "journalists" working for CNN, Fox, ABC, NBC, or CBS.
post #62 of 393
Quote:

Shouldn't you be hitting that bong of yours that makes you understand intrastate law? Perhaps you used a "magical iPad" to become a lawyer instantly - poof! - It's magical!
post #63 of 393
Quote:

You can't be gay and married in CA - you can in other states - but that doesn't matter either right?

So you can't steal in one state, but you can in another? Please, man, keep humoring us with your comparisons of stolen intellectual property to pot. You're doing really, really well here
post #64 of 393
Quote:

So you can't steal in one state, but you can in another? Please, man, keep humoring us with your comparisons of stolen intellectual property to pot. You're doing really, really well here

A narrow definition of "stolen" in one state may not apply in another in this instance.

Thanks - I like doing really well. Do I get a gold star sticker now?
post #65 of 393
Quote:

Shouldn't you be hitting that bong of yours that makes you understand intrastate law? Perhaps you used a "magical iPad" to become a lawyer instantly - poof! - It's magical!

Really, show us that law school degree or go play in the sandbox, because adults are talking here.
post #66 of 393
Quote:

You don't have to reason with him. If you follow his posts you will see that he is contradicting himself
post #67 of 393
Quote:

Perhaps Apple claimed they were raped. Makes sense.

This guy makes me think of a tagline I saw on a forum recently:

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I'll be taking cmf2's sage advice and invoking the ignore feature in the CP.
post #68 of 393
Quote:

You don't have to reason with him. If you follow his posts you will see that he is contradicting himself

Where?
post #69 of 393
Quote:

A narrow definition of "stolen" in one state may not apply in another in this instance.

Thanks - I like doing really well. Do I get a gold star sticker now?

"Narrow" says you, the guy who's shown us he's a capable lawyer who has passed the bar.. oh, wait. Please, cite some actual articles like other educated folk have, because your lack of an educated opinion is depressing.
post #70 of 393
Quote:

"Narrow" says you, the guy who's shown us he's a capable lawyer who has passed the bar.. oh, wait. Please, cite some actual articles like other educated folk have, because your lack of an educated opinion is depressing.

No I'd rather leave it to all the legal experts here. Certainly getting an education in law with these posts that really have their fingers on the pulse of intrastate law.
post #71 of 393
Dr. No = TeckStud?
post #72 of 393
Quote:

No I'd rather leave it to all the legal experts here. Certainly getting an education in law with these posts that really have their fingers on the pulse of intrastate law.

Your lack of effort parallels your lack of knowledge. Go figure.
post #73 of 393
Rot row, Astro!

Whenever you need the services of an attorney, you are already 'screwed!'
post #74 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dr. No = TeckStud?

You beat me to it. Amazing how those people keep coming even after they get banned many times.
post #75 of 393
Quote:

Really, show us that law school degree or go play in the sandbox, because adults are talking here.

You first! Obviously all the "adults" here have a real grip on how the law works - it's like the people's court!

"Oh Gawkers going down.

Why?

Oh - um - because I said they're going down!"

And you can take THAT to court!
post #76 of 393
I had to sign up and jump in cause this is silly wrong...

@Dr.No - there is something in the New York Penal Code called "Criminal Possession of Stolen Property". There are various degrees 1st-5th that range from felony to misdemeanor.

And the real kicker is section 165.60 that clearly states that it is NO defense that the larceny of the property did not occur in the State of New York.

Move on mate!
post #77 of 393
Quote:

You first! Obviously all the "adults" here have a real grip on how the law works - it's like the people's court!

"Oh Gawkers going down.

Why?

Oh - um - because I said they're going down!"

And you can take THAT to court!

You must've "forgotten" to include all the articles and laws people have been citing left and right.. I mean, it's right in front of you, but you're too caught up in enjoying that weed and patting your own back..
post #78 of 393
I've never seen such an angry thread that was ACTUALLY still on topic. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
post #79 of 393
Quote:

You beat me to it. Amazing how those people keep coming even after they get banned many times.

Good thing slander gets a pass - who else am I today? Just grab any name that pops into your head!

"Heeeee's Johnny CARSON!

No wait he's dead.... no he's got to be someone who I have a nerd relationship with - because I said so that's why."

That's some proof there buddy. In the land where random conjecture rules.

Because we all know random slander rules! It's Amazing!
post #80 of 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattydog View Post

I had to sign up and jump in cause this is silly wrong...

@Dr.No - there is something in the New York Penal Code called "Criminal Possession of Stolen Property". There are various degrees 1st-5th that range from felony to misdemeanor.

And the real kicker is section 165.60 that clearly states that it is NO defense that the larceny of the property did not occur in the State of New York.

Move on mate!

but is there a section in there about medical weed? the rest is just white noise to this enlightened rhodes-scholar
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Police investigating Gizmodo's iPhone prototype story