or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
Early adopters of Apple's Pad's Camera Connection Kit have discovered that the accessory can be used to connect a number of USB devices to the tablet device in addition to cameras.

Electronista provided a roundup of the findings yesterday, first noting that one test by TidBITS discovered that the kit will work with most any USB headphone, headset or microphone. This makes it possible to either listen to music or take a VoIP call through off-the-shelf computer accessories. The call quality via VoIP was reportedly "terrific," making it more appealing to use Skype if you don't have a Bluetooth headsets.

Meanwhile, TUAW found that USB keyboards will work as well, although this was partly expected given the functionality of the official iPad Keyboard Dock. The convenience of the USB keyboard is also reduced as there's no stand when using the adapter.



For its intended role, the adapter imports images to the iPad's Photos app when plugged in. Besides supporting RAW from high-end cameras, iLounge notes that the iPad will import any captured photos at full 2048x1536 resolution, including the EXIF metadata from the original shot.

Video is also supported with tools that let photographers trim videos much as they do with the iPhone 3GS' simple editor. Clips are cut short, however. Any video larger than 640x480 and 5MB will be shrunk in resolution and length to fit the length.



A video demoing the iPad Camera Connection kid can be seen above.
post #2 of 107
Far out. This should open things up for a lot of stuff (as long as it does not require power).
post #3 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Far out.

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?
post #4 of 107
Somebody needs to test out a USB audio interface! I kind of doubt it will work because of drivers etc, but if I had some way to get an Xlr mic signal into this thing I would be in heaven. I do on location recordings often and I usually need only 1 mic for voiceovers, if I could ditch the laptop and just take my iPad, a small interface, mic and stand, it would make my life so much easier.
post #5 of 107
A stand, or keyboard stand, with at least one built-in USB port would be incredibly useful.

It would enable the iPad to assume a light-duty desktop PC role. If the stand also had audio output, even more so.

A 10 watt desktop you can just grab and walk around with at any time. Truly a new class of device.
post #6 of 107
That's awesome. Hopefully 4.0 will open it further. In a post on MR, someone said they plugged in a Compact Flash card in a CF reader into the USB connection kit and it worked. Sooooo... not limited to SD. But a headset for Skype, etc.... awesome.

8
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #7 of 107
Can't the iPad use iPhone headphones with integrated microphone for Skype? Or ordinary 3.5mm headphones with the iPad's internal microphone? Avoids the dongle.
post #8 of 107
Has anyone tried attaching multiple devices to the iPad via the camera adapter and a USB hub?
post #9 of 107
Now they just need to make the dock connector mag-safe. Adapter sticks out too far to not be a hazard in breaking the unit...
post #10 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

But a headset for Skype, etc.... awesome.

8

Pardon my ignorance, but why would headsets thru the 'audio out' not suffice for things such as Skype?

Add: Foo2 beat me to it....
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Cool. This should open things up for a lot of stuff (as long as it does not require power).

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?

Fixed it for you. That expression is apparently immune to generational overuse and eschewing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Can't the iPad use iPhone headphones with integrated microphone for Skype? Or ordinary 3.5mm headphones with the iPad's internal microphone? Avoids the dongle.

Yes it can, this is just another option. Frankly, I surprised that Apple even included this out of the gate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Now they just need to make the dock connector mag-safe. Adapter sticks out too far to not be a hazard in breaking the unit...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cheap 30-pin connectors to various other ports on Monoprice in short order as they already sell cables and adapters with the 30-pin connector.

Also, the cheapest option for many be to buy a cheaper USB-A(f)-to-USB-A(f) coupler for a buck or two. You'd have to carry your iPad cable and the cable or card reader you already have, but it all should work just fine since it's just USB signaling.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 107
There's a dock connector port on the back of the iPad Dock accessory. Wouldn't it work if we plug the iPad into the dock and then the camera adapter into the back of the dock ?
post #13 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A video demoing the iPad Camera Connection kid can be seen above.

Apple is selling children now? You'd think with their child labor problems in China they'd avoid that.
post #14 of 107
this feature is very very interesting................

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple is selling children now? You'd think with their child labor problems in China they'd avoid that.

Those accessories are tiny. Who else is going to polish the inside of the connectors?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 107
Now I'm really frustrated waiting for mine to ship.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #17 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Groovy!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #18 of 107
Really good that it supports additional devices but no excuse for not having USB and SD Card on the device itself. Who wants to carry around an easy to lose expensive adapter to plug in peripherals.
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Really good that it supports additional devices but no excuse for not having USB and SD Card on the device itself. Who wants to carry around an easy to lose expensive adapter to plug in peripherals.

Besides these accessories likely only appealing to a very small segment of iPad owners (seriously, how common will it be to sync to your images to an iDevice) I don't see a coupler being an issue when for people who are okay with removing SD cards to copy images. Just stick it in your camera bag.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Groovy!

Yeah,
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Besides supporting RAW from high-end cameras, iLounge notes that the iPad will import any captured photos at full 2048x1536 resolution, including the EXIF metadata from the original shot.

I haven't read about the connector. Does the actual RAW photo then reside on the iPad so it can be moved to a computer later or are the images stored on the iPad all converted or reduced down to 2048x1536 jpgs or what?

"full 2048x1536 resolution" - what does that mean?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #22 of 107
And a USB webcam?

That's what I want to see.
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Far out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Groovy!

Fantabuloso!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #24 of 107
While image support isn't an issue there are many cameras that record using DivX codec in an AVI container. Is that going to supported in the Photos app for playback, for storage, or not at all?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Besides supporting RAW from high-end cameras, iLounge notes that the iPad will import any captured photos at full 2048x1536 resolution, including the EXIF metadata from the original shot.

iLounge actually says it exports at that resolution (3megapixel). They were talking about emailing at this 'high resolution', but it doesn't talk about the import as far as I can see (nor the maximum resolution it can display)
post #26 of 107
[COOL]Fixed it for you. That expression is apparently immune to generational overuse and eschewing.

I think the spelling for today's generation is "kewl".
post #27 of 107
Anyone try the Macbook Air Ethernet adapter?
post #28 of 107
AI needs to keep an eye on the interns or whoever works weekends. The grammar, syntax, and general understandability of parts of this posting are well below their usual standards.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides these accessories likely only appealing to a very small segment of iPad owners (seriously, how common will it be to sync to your images to an iDevice) I don't see a coupler being an issue when for people who are okay with removing SD cards to copy images. Just stick it in your camera bag.

Not so much for camera but for other devices, like audio and maybe even printers (how many "average users" are capable of setting up network printers). There's a lot of potential there but requiring a $30 add on puts a damper on it.
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?

In the words of The Firesign Theater(comedy group):

return for regrooving.
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendIvanStang View Post

I'm looking at my iPad dock and that connector is pretty deep - not sure if it could be made magsafe given the length of the plug.

I'm just happy to see features that I may not want (a camera) offered to people who "have to have it".

I don't want a nose-hair cam "now". But if there's a need in the future it'll be nice to have - vs "having" to have.

Did anyone think of all the places that restrict cameras? Military? Hospitals? High security areas? I think that's the real reason it was left off.

That's the first I've heard that reasoning for leaving off a camera. Very interesting.
post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but why would headsets thru the 'audio out' not suffice for things such as Skype?

Add: Foo2 beat me to it....

2 reasons -
1- Some people already have USB headsets.
2- USB is frequently better quality.

PCs in particular have issues with cheap (read "crappy") audio input ports, but even the best are susceptible to dirt, damage, or corrosion. Also, many USB headsets have built-in noise cancelation and/or filters to balance for voice.

Definitely the better way to go - IMHO.
post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Peace. Keep on truckin!

Trippin, totally wicked dude far out!

Okay now my comment on this...

Is this is an additional feature Apple didn't mention?
Is this is a completely unintended 'bug' that will be 'fixed' in the earliest possible iPad update possible?

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Not so much for camera but for other devices, like audio and maybe even printers (how many "average users" are capable of setting up network printers). There's a lot of potential there but requiring a $30 add on puts a damper on it.

What kind of audio devices are people going to be hooking up their iPads too? If they are audio recievers for the iPod app on the iPad why would they have an USB-A(m) protruding? A port for USB-A(f) is more likely and the iPad comes with a cable that works with that already nicely?

Are you talking about external speakers for audio out? Why not use the 3.5mm jack or the iPod dock connector as I'm sure there will be plenty of devices with iPad docks (that also work with iPods and iPhones)? If it's for some wonky external speaker set that uses USB but not designed for the iPad then why not just get the adapter and leave it with the speakers or get the $1.80 USB-A(f) coupler and leave it with the speakers or connected to your iPad sync cable?

How many printers will "average users" have? I'd say one, so why not do the exact same thing i mentioned in the last paragraph where you leave the iPod dock adapter or the $1.80 USB-A(f) coupler with the printer? Can the iPad even print directly to other devices via the USB port? I think Apple currently expects printing from the iPad to be a very limited request that makes including 1.21 jigabytes of print drivers unnecessary. You email it to yourself, copy to MobileMe or sync it back via iTunes then print from your PC. It is designed as a satellite computing device, after all.

If you think a built in SD and USB slot will come in handy, they you have to admit that VGA, HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, and Ethernet would all come in handy at times for certain users, but I doubt anyone would expect all those ports to be on this device. Would USB even fit on this device without making it thicker or making a silly trap door like on the MacBook AIr?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 107
There will be a lot of good music making programs released for the iPad. There many great audio interfaces for mobile musicians (typically featuring 1 or 2 mic preamps, line ins, MIDI, and more).

Why are you so desperately defending Apple's decisions to limit its devices usability without expensive adapters? A regular computer without USB would be unthinkable. Since the iPad is regarded as a replacement for a laptop for certain uses, USB would greatly expand its capabilities. You sound silly saying that if they include USB than others would want ethernet. USB is a ubiquitous standard used by every peripheral in the last 10 years. I doubt there would be issues fitting a USB port on an iPad either.
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will be a lot of good music making programs released for the iPad. There many great audio interfaces for mobile musicians (typically featuring 1 or 2 mic preamps, line ins, MIDI, and more).

Why are you so desperately defending Apple's decisions to limit its devices usability without expensive adapters? A regular computer without USB would be unthinkable. Since the iPad is regarded as a replacement for a laptop for certain uses, USB would greatly expand its capabilities. You sound silly saying that if they include USB than others would want ethernet. USB is a ubiquitous standard used by every peripheral in the last 10 years. I doubt there would be issues fitting a USB port on an iPad either.

1) What you're suggesting with pre-amps and MIDI is not even close to the primary intention for this device and will only be used by a very small fraction of those buying iPads.

2) The iPad isn't a regular computer.

3) The iPad isn't designed to be a replacement for your laptop or they would not have required syncing to iTunes before you can use the thing.

4) The iPad does allow USB signaling, what it doesn't have is a big ass USB-A port. Why you think this is necessary to make it useful is illogical.

5) Adapters aren't pricey. I've already pointed out a coupler "for these pre-amps and MIDIs" that is only $1.80 (actually it's only $1.13 on Monoprice).

6) How do you think DJs who use iPods use them? They buy a cheap adapter or they buy a machine with an iPod Dock Connector built-in. The latter being the most common.

7) Your argument is the same as when Apple removed the serial and parallel port in favour of USB, expect people actually had a plethora of accessories back then that required those cables and couldn't be resolved by very few that need them with a $1.13 coupler.

8) If the iPad has an "inny" then the device has to have to an "outy" (ie: it's a dock for the iPad) or they use a cable to connect (ie: so why not the cable that came with the iPad).

9) You doubt there would be a problem with fitting a USB port to the iPad but you haven't supplied any specs to show that the USB-A port which is about 2x the height of the iPod Dock Connector could fit well on the edge of the iPad without causing a problem. Note that 30-pin connector is designed for a snug fit with two hooks on the edges. You can't use USB-B (which is even thicker), micro-USB or mini-USB because you'd then need an adapter.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) What you're suggesting with pre-amps and MIDI is not even close to the primary intention for this device and will only be used by a very small fraction of those buying iPads.

2) The iPad isn't a regular computer.

3) The iPad isn't designed to be a replacement for your laptop or they would not have required syncing to iTunes before you can use the thing.

4) The iPad does allow USB signaling, what it doesn't have is a big ass USB-A port. Why you think this is necessary to make it useful is illogical.

5) Adapters aren't pricey. I've already pointed out a coupler "for these pre-amps and MIDIs" that is only $1.80 (actually it's only $1.13 on Monoprice).

6) How do you think DJs who use iPods use them? They buy a cheap adapter or they buy a machine with an iPod Dock Connector built-in. The latter being the most common.

7) Your argument is the same as when Apple removed the serial and parallel port in favour of USB, expect people actually had a plethora of accessories back then that required those cables and couldn't be resolved by very few that need them with a $1.13 coupler.

8) If the iPad has an "inny" then the device has to have to an "outy" (ie: it's a dock for the iPad) or they use a cable to connect (ie: so why not the cable that came with the iPad).

9) You doubt there would be a problem with fitting a USB port to the iPad but you haven't supplied any specs to show that the USB-A port which is about 2x the height of the iPod Dock Connector could fit well on the edge of the iPad without causing a problem. Note that 30-pin connector is designed for a snug fit with two hooks on the edges. You can't use USB-B (which is even thicker), micro-USB or mini-USB because you'd then need an adapter.


Gonna have to disagree here, as someone who's used mp3 players for recording in the past, their limitations are huge. If the iPad had even a fraction of the driver support for external audio interfaces that the mac does, this thing would be in every engineers hand, just for the pure convenience of it. obviously you wouldnt want to record a symphony on it, but plugging in some M-Audio or Roland box and being able to record audio, guitar, and bass on different tracks would be amazing. But that would require something akin to core audio and multitrack recording support. Both things apple hasn't provided in their developer tools (that I know of).

I get why apple left off the USB port, but there really should be a way to hook multiple devices in to the thing, and at a bare minimum, an SD card reader, the ipad could easily fit one. I really hope to see some 30pin connector audio gear come out now that this thing is so successful already, it would make composing beats and dj'ing on the ipad a lot easier
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

Gonna have to disagree here, as someone who's used mp3 players for recording in the past, their limitations are huge. If the iPad had even a fraction of the driver support for external audio interfaces that the mac does, this thing would be in every engineers hand, just for the pure convenience of it. obviously you wouldnt want to record a symphony on it, but plugging in some M-Audio or Roland box and being able to record audio, guitar, and bass on different tracks would be amazing. But that would require something akin to core audio and multitrack recording support. Both things apple hasn't provided in their developer tools (that I know of).

I get why apple left off the USB port, but there really should be a way to hook multiple devices in to the thing, and at a bare minimum, an SD card reader, the ipad could easily fit one. I really hope to see some 30pin connector audio gear come out now that this thing is so successful already, it would make composing beats and dj'ing on the ipad a lot easier

1) That reinforces my point as to why this wasn't given a half dozen different port options.

2) An SD port would fit, but I don't subscribe to the "if they could do it, they should it" mentality. The number of people offloading their images on to the iPad aren't likely to be that great and, as previously mentioned, this adapter can stay in the camera bag. If this does become a common use I would then expect this to be an addition on a future gen iPad.

3) Give me an example of this M-Audio or Roland box you wish to hook your iPad up to. If it's a "box" then it should have a port for USB which the supplied cable can plug into. Every suggestion for these audio devices makes it sound like the cable is built into the device. That would be foolish design.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 107
Hello:

Just wondered ...

1) Has anyone tried to connect their Flip Mino HD camera to their iPads via the Camera Connector? (I'm one of those unfortunate souls waiting for his own iPad 3G to come in, so that's why I'm asking.) I am not looking to edit videos on the iPad; just as a temporary place for storage.

2) Has anyone tried to connect an USB webcam to their iPads? The reason why I'm asking is that I use videochat to talk with my deaf friends. *IF* the new iPhone 4G does have a front-facing camera, then this item will be a non-issue.

Thanks!

Raymond
post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafwoof View Post

Hello:

Just wondered ...

1) Has anyone tried to connect their Flip Mino HD camera to their iPads via the Camera Connector? (I'm one of those unfortunate souls waiting for his own iPad 3G to come in, so that's why I'm asking.) I am not looking to edit videos on the iPad; just as a temporary place for storage.

2) Has anyone tried to connect an USB webcam to their iPads? The reason why I'm asking is that I use videochat to talk with my deaf friends. *IF* the new iPhone 4G does have a front-facing camera, then this item will be a non-issue.

Thanks!

Raymond

1a) Apple says you can plug your camera directly into the iPad so the USB protocols should pick it up and look for pics and images to copy over. But why go for a $39 accessory when much cheaper options exist?

1b) While this doesn't affect you as you have the HD version which uses the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Part 10 (.MP4) file format the previous Flip Mino uses MPEG-4 Part 2 (.AVI) file format, which is common, so editing and playing on the iPad wouldn't happen anyway.

2) The API for the 30-pin connector will allow for a camera on the device. It's possible for anyone to make an accessory and app that turns your iPad into a camera. And no, the camera won't be pointing up at your nose, just turn the iPad 180° and you'll have the camera at the top.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards