or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Estimate says Apple has sold more than a million iPads

Estimate says Apple has sold more than a million iPads - Page 3

post #81 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

iPad Returns: Why 50 Buyers Returned their iPads

http://blog.vovici.com/blog/bid/2771...ed-their-iPads

Can you read? Here's what blog.vovici.com says:

"Again, because of the nature of this research you can't extrapolate this to the population of iPad returns, but it is indicative. Overall, I would say that it is good news for Apple. Those who return the WiFi iPad in order to upgrade to the 3G will bring in more revenue for Apple for the device itself and presumably a share of recurring revenue for the data plan. A few have already spent more with Apple (one upgraded to 64GB and two individuals traded up to MacBook Pros). The primary complaints are solvable in the long term: value will improve as Apple gradually lowers the entry price and as more iPad-specific applications are available; incompatibilities will be resolved as the installed base swells and as Apple and its publishers update their apps."

(I gave up on the other one because there were too many pop-ups.... looked like a pretty bad site).
post #82 of 102
Quote:

I made no point. I just posted a couple of stories that you asked for.

And I predicted that you would respond exactly as you did.

You predicted that I would prove that your point was fabricated nonsense? Good for you.

You said that there were massive returns of the iPad. You found a total of 260 people who CLAIMED to have returned one with no way to verify that. Of the 260, 1/2 claimed to have returned it to get the 3G model and some additional number returned it to get one with more storage capacity.

Obviously, you failed to prove your claim that iPads were being returned in massive numbers, so it's really not hard to predict that I was going to point that out.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 102
Quote:

7 iPad Returns to Watch

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...ads/1270688736

I hope you enjoyed your basic Algebra, and was well versed enough to be allowed to take basic statistics to understand what is called "Normal Distribution"

Quiz Time:

Question 1:

Y=(57/X)*100 => % bad iPads

where X=total number of iPads sold. You may supply your own number here.

Question 2: What is the relevance of "Normal Distribution" to the result in Question 1?

Question 3:
Do you believe all you read in blogs and other internet sources? Even those from old media?
Hint: http://swildstrom.wordpress.com/2010...a-old-and-new/

If we assume one of the links to be correct, and statistically sampled, consider this summary:

The basic premise of the aforementioned article of course is that the average iPad owner is also a Twitter user. Didn't the detractors of the iPad here just questioned the validity of the iPad numbers for the same potential false assumption with respect to the visitors to the site providing the 1 million iPads estimate?

CGC
post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

For those with the Apple is Doomed tag line you should have this link as week

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/death_knell/

That link is really interesting, thanks for posting it.

Whilst a lot of them are funny, many of them also just speak to how incredible Apple's turnaround has been. For example, this quote from Michael Dell in 2001:

Quote:
Q: What is the future of Apple Computer?
A: Silicon Graphics.

Q: That bad?
A: Maybe it's a little bit different. But if you look at proprietary computer companies, whether it's Digital or Silicon Graphics (SGI ) or Apple (AAPL ), I think the fates are all relatively similar. We know how the movie ends. It's just a question of what happens in the middle. Apple has a very little customer base. If you look at the economics, it has been extremely hard for Apple to get a return on its R&D with a shrinking volume base. It's not to say that Apple's products aren't innovative or cool, but the economic factors here are so overwhelming, it's very hard for them to swim against that tide.

There is absolutely nothing he says there that was wrong in 2001. Apple did have very little customer base. Supporting R&D on their diminishing returns was incredibly difficult. The most likely outcome at the time was Apple failing.

It is a remarkable story that not only did they not fail, they came back stronger than ever.
post #85 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... your claim that iPads were being returned in massive numbers, --t.

and many sites.
I suppose 2 is more than 1, thus many.

and repetition makes a fact.

http://swildstrom.wordpress.com/2010...a-old-and-new/

CGC
post #86 of 102
You can just tell the age of some of the posters here, can't you? Incredible.

I use mine every day, and love it exactly for what it offers in its current form (which will only improve): reading (books, comics, news), games, browsing and certain apps.

I concur about comics on the iPad: they look and read fantastic on it. (The other major shoe to drop is DC and what they plan to offer in light of Marvel's early entrance.) In the short run, the local comic shop won't feel it. It's the long-term that has the industry guessing.

Naysayers, eat crap.
post #87 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple Stores need to use something more durable than the standard 30-pin connector cable. They were all torn to shreds where the cable meets the plastic. It looked very unprofessional.

They really need some kind of mag-safe version of the 30-pin connector. I'd imagine you could do it as a male/female wedge adapter that could just be inset on the device (flush with device). It would be a pain for data transfer, but would really be nice when docking or holding the unit up.
post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

They really need some kind of mag-safe version of the 30-pin connector. I'd imagine you could do it as a male/female wedge adapter that could just be inset on the device (flush with device). It would be a pain for data transfer, but would really be nice when docking or holding the unit up.

Not sure if this is really a good idea. The breakaway feature of MagSafe works against the main purpose of the connector.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure if this is really a good idea. The breakaway feature of MagSafe works against the main purpose of the connector.

I have to agree. It just makes the Apple Employees have to keep checking the iPads to see if the iPod MagSafe is correctly attached and while it's only used for power in the store there is still an issue with the pins lining up unless they use a very MagSafe like connection, which they may have to explain doesn't come with the device.

I think a ruggedized iPod Dock connector would be best. Maybe something in gray or black that won't show the dirt as easily as the white ones.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #90 of 102
Quote:

7 iPad Returns to Watch

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...ads/1270688736

I've never even heard of those sites. Are there any articles from sites that the average person can be reasonably expected to at least heard of? If it even seems like an epidemic, then high profile sites would pick up the story. I haven't seen any such stories even from the high profile tech enthusiast sites.

Another thing conspicuously missing in these stories are comments from all the people that said that the WiFi-only model was tantamount to a useless brick.
post #91 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I agree with everything you said. To me this is almost a test case of Apple's mind share in the market which is proving to be dominant. As of today, since it's not a computer yet but eventually will be, the most reasonablee use is as an e-reader or luxury device. The economy is still recovering so the average person can't afford to spend money on a device that they can live without. There is a story on CNN where people have been waiting in line for jobs in Queens, NY (my hometown) since Friday for a job application for a union job.

I think this will be a moderately successful product until it becomes a computer so it can actually replace something. For those who disagree, remember what Jobs had said during the Q&A at OS 4.0, that hopefully people will look back on the iPad and realize how important it really was.

What you fail to realize is that "most people" do not want a "real computer".... they just want to do something with their stuff!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #92 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Like this?

WRONG!!!!!
WHERE THE F*** HAVE YOU FANBOIS BEEN? HP is releasing the Slate this year, Dell is releasing the Looking F***ing Glass, the iPad is officially pwned as a lame-ass wannabe - no ports, no camera, dumbed-down OS - compared to freakin' awesome hardware designs running Windows F***in' 7 and AN F***in' DROID with more than 50,000 APPS!!!!!

YEAH!!! Wake up and smell the coffee you Cupertino Tools! Stop kissing Jobsey's A** and get a life fer crissakes!

Whoa! I see what you mean. I feel like Luke Skywalker being seduced by the Dark side. I can so see why they respond like that though - you just shut off your higher brain functions and let your primitive brain stem take over. I even had a strong desire to drag my knuckles on the floor and thump my chest! Wow!

Seriously have to stop doing that now - sorry guys. Hopefully some of the genuine article will show up and take up the workload. *WHEW*

That does it!

You're banned from my ignore list!

post #93 of 102
Not surprising but now I'm second guessing and prolly just going to get a 15" MacBook Pro. I can't wait until next month :/

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #94 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there any articles from sites that the average person can be reasonably expected to at least heard of? If it even seems like an epidemic, then high profile sites would pick up the story. I haven't seen any such stories even from the high profile tech enthusiast sites.

Another thing conspicuously missing in these stories are comments from all the people that said that the WiFi-only model was tantamount to a useless brick.

Looked like quite a few iPad/Apple haters in the Betanews article. Every comment that seemed even vaguely pro-Apple was voted down. I'm guessing that's par for the course for that site.
post #95 of 102
Quote:

I have to agree. It just makes the Apple Employees have to keep checking the iPads to see if the iPod MagSafe is correctly attached and while it's only used for power in the store there is still an issue with the pins lining up unless they use a very MagSafe like connection, which they may have to explain doesn't come with the device.

I think a ruggedized iPod Dock connector would be best. Maybe something in gray or black that won't show the dirt as easily as the white ones.

I think a small spring around the outside of the cable where it joins the plug might be effective in preventing stress at that point. I've had my charger attatched while using my iPhone so much it got a tear. The tape is still holding(pretty I know) but when I get a new one I thought I might use the spring from the clicker portion of a ball point pen wrapped around the cable and careful but solid connection to the plug, super glue there I suppose.
post #96 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That does it!

You're banned from my ignore list!

Way to knee-jerk on that reaction pal!

btw - thanks! It was a lot of hard work in all the wrong ways, but had to be done until the regular crew took over and ran with it.
post #97 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think a small spring around the outside of the cable where it joins the plug might be effective in preventing stress at that point. I've had my charger attatched while using my iPhone so much it got a tear. The tape is still holding(pretty I know) but when I get a new one I thought I might use the spring from the clicker portion of a ball point pen wrapped around the cable and careful but solid connection to the plug, super glue there I suppose.

Whatever the solution, it's clear there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Way to knee-jerk on that reaction pal!

btw - thanks! It was a lot of hard work in all the wrong ways, but had to be done until the regular crew took over and ran with it.

Just in case it was missed, his comment stated you are "You're banned FROM my ignore list!' Sounds like you have a green light to troll without Applebaum putting you on his ignore list.
post #98 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Looked like quite a few iPad/Apple haters in the Betanews article. Every comment that seemed even vaguely pro-Apple was voted down. I'm guessing that's par for the course for that site.

One of the ZDNet bloggers did suggest the buyer's remorse rate was "high", but doesn't bother to cite any figures. page:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2956
post #99 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

It is still true that hardly anybody wants to buy an iPad. This data does not suggest otherwise. All it means is that the relatively small number of people who do want an iPad have been efficient enough to buy one in the first few weeks. Sales will immediately fall off a cliff now that everyone who wants one has gotten one, and Apple will be bankrupt within two weeks.

I guess there is some logic to that, for instance look at FF XIII sales in Japan after week 1
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7727
week 1 = 1.5 Million units -> week 2 = 187,000 units -> week 6 = 7,000 units

You're right apple is doomed....
post #100 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That link is really interesting, thanks for posting it.

Whilst a lot of them are funny, many of them also just speak to how incredible Apple's turnaround has been. For example, this quote from Michael Dell in 2001:

There is absolutely nothing he says there that was wrong in 2001. Apple did have very little customer base. Supporting R&D on their diminishing returns was incredibly difficult. The most likely outcome at the time was Apple failing.

It is a remarkable story that not only did they not fail, they came back stronger than ever.

and look at the mess Dell is now, and I like how Michael came back to save the day, and it continues to get worse for them.

The other good comment came from Steve himself, he too predicted Apple's death.

The latest comment talk about the failure of the ipad and how Apple and Steve have no clue since pad computing devices have failed in the past so will the ipad.
post #101 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The latest comment talk about the failure of the ipad and how Apple and Steve have no clue since pad computing devices have failed in the past so will the ipad.

Usually that line of reasoning is followed or preceded by what is wrong with the iPad, explaining how it doesn't run a desktop OS means it a guaranteed fail. I love that logical disconnect.
post #102 of 102
Quote:

• Has anyone been charged yet for the 3G version they purchased?

I was charged about a week ago and JUST NOW I noticed my order indicates "Prepared for Shipment." I wasn't quite ready for how awesome that would feel.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Estimate says Apple has sold more than a million iPads