or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch

RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch

post #1 of 77
Set to arrive in the third quarter of 2010, Research in Motion's new BlackBerry 6 mobile operating system will feature multitouch input for its Web browser, e-mail, media player and more, with iPhone-like features such as pinch-to-zoom.

RIM provided a sneak peek of BlackBerry 6 at WES 2010, the annual Wireless Enterprise Symposium for BlackBerry users. A video demonstrated flipping through album art, pinch-to-zoom on images, typing, and making calls -- all with a touchscreen.

New features shown in the debut video include contextual pop-ups, a cover flow-like feature in the integrated media player, and a new WebKit-based Web browser that includes support for tabs. The video also pushes the social networking capabilities of the device, with integration with Facebook and Twitter.

Though the video focuses on the touch capabilities of BlackBerry 6, all of the features will also become available on RIM's other non-touch handsets as well. The company plans to update many of its existing line of phones to the new operating system, but has conceded that not all devices will receive an update.

Officials at the WES 2010 keynote said that RIM has redesigned all of the core applications within the BlackBerry operating system. It also revealed that there are 41 million BlackBerry users, and 90 million BlackBerrys have been sold to date. Co-CEO Mike Lazardis said he expects his company to reach the 100 million milestone soon.

RIM has touted the operating system upgrade as an "all-new user experience." The company had already announced on Monday that BlackBerry 6 would be available in the third quarter of calendar 2010, but did not include any details on the software.

The BlackBerry follows the already-released Google Nexus One, along with Microsoft's forthcoming Windows Phone 7, in offering multitouch capabilities on a mobile device, years after Apple pioneered the input method with the introduction of the first iPhone in 2007.

It is rumored that the addition of multitouch functionality to the Google Android-powered Nexus One smartphone, via a software update, is what prompted Apple to sue the handset's manufacturer, HTC. Apple has accused HTC of violating 20 patents it owns that are in use in the iPhone.
post #2 of 77
I am well-familiar with RIM's Handsets in our organization and while they do email well they have only slowly evolved their handsets and the richness of the interface. They have a long tradition (like Windows updates) of showing flashy videos of things to come while what arrives is always behind the times and stodgy, with no eye in the details.
post #3 of 77
Just curious as to how long the iPhone has had multi-touch?
post #4 of 77
It's surprising that they titled this "All New User Experience", then had three different people dancing to a song that had to be "bleeped" several times.....but barely showed the actual user experience. Yeah a few things swiped and a couple of virtual keyboard taps, but in the grand scheme of things, what was all new about it?
post #5 of 77
what an absurd, tacky, hilarious ad!!!
post #6 of 77
Nothing screams "hopelessly uncool" like a quick-cut ad with the Black Eyed Peas doing the soundtrack.

With Palm out of the picture (at least for now) and the new Verizon Droid going keyboardless, Blackberry seems like the biggest player in the physical keyboard category of smart phones.... There's a large category of people who still demand physcial keyboards (sadly my GF is one of them). Would have been a lot more effective for RIM to highlight what makes them different instead of looking like hacky copiers of the iPhone.
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Since the very beginning. ....

First demo-ed in January of 2007, released later that summer.
post #8 of 77
Too funny, one of the lines in the song is "I'm so 2008!"

LOL LOL LOL oh man..
post #9 of 77
Quote:

...And Blackberry's Touch experience is HORRIBLE on the Storm which they did not improve AT ALL with Storm 2 - - It feels like their engineers have no experience in this area.
post #10 of 77
So are RIM mocking the use of a virtual keyboard on their own hardware?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #11 of 77
That video makes me cringe.
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

LOL LOL LOL oh man..

"I'm so Three Thousand and Eight, you're so Two Thousand and late..."

Don't bag on the peas folks.

If somebody called you up and said "I'll give you 100k to use your song in a commercial for our new phone" you'd take that money in a heartbeat.
post #13 of 77
I was getting a headache from the constant motion behind the graphics.

Unleash the lawyers, Apple!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 77
<yawn>

"Me too" all the way.

What's next, they gonna use multitasking as some sort of a bragging point?
post #15 of 77
pathetic

i got to 0:49 and had to stop watching that mess
post #16 of 77
Oh dear, what a terrible video.

Interface looks nice, and they've copied the touch features almost perfectly. Welcome to 2007 RIM.

Joking aside, I have a BlackBerry for work as well as my iPhone... I won't be upgrading.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

"I'm so Three Thousand and Eight, you're so Two Thousand and late..."

Don't bag on the peas folks.

If somebody called you up and said "I'll give you 100k to use your song in a commercial for our new phone" you'd take that money in a heartbeat.

PLEASE. The thing with "the Peas" is that they've taken money for everything. I think this SNL skit says it all: http://www.hulu.com/watch/2360/satur...k-eyed-peas-ad

They're done. Will I Am needs a career change.
post #18 of 77
Wow! I wasn't expecting that video to be so horrible. Talk about lame. Looks like the classic example of putting someone in charge of making a video who has no experience in marketing or media design. Just awful.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

RIM has touted the operating system upgrade as an "all-new user experience."

OMFG... just be honest RIM... "we attempted to capture everything that's great about the iPhone and rebrand it as ours". GTFOH

I simply don't understand why Apple seems to be the only company innovating. Why wouldn't RIM sit down and attempt to create a better way, a new way, a creative way to interact with the phone? Once again, Apple innovates while other companies follow along. No wonder Apple defends it's patents with such vigor.
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

RIM has touted the operating system upgrade as an "all-new user experience."

"All-new" to the Blackberry user.
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

PLEASE. The thing with "the Peas" is that they've taken money for everything. I think this SNL skit says it all: http://www.hulu.com/watch/2360/satur...k-eyed-peas-ad

They're done. Will I Am needs a career change.

Brings new focus to bear on the original title of their song "Let's Get Retarded".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

"All-new" to the Blackberry user.

So ... I bet quite a few will think, 'well if BBs are kind of like iPhones now I may as well get a real one'.

Playing the let's copy Apple game isn't too smart plus they are never going to catch Apple's R&D any more than M$ did with the computer GUI.
post #23 of 77
A multi touch interface, how innovative.

Funny, at work there have been a few iPhone vs Blackberry "wars" and the argument against the iPhone was always "I gotta have a real keyboard."

Now everyone just copies Apple. Too bad Fergie couldn't be in the commercial.
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Playing the let's copy Apple game isn't too smart plus they are never going to catch Apple's R&D any more than M$ did with the computer GUI.

But this is surely the "iPhone Killer."
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's surprising that they titled this "All New User Experience", then had three different people dancing to a song that had to be "bleeped" several times.....but barely showed the actual user experience. Yeah a few things swiped and a couple of virtual keyboard taps, but in the grand scheme of things, what was all new about it?

One of the things I love most about the iPhone commercials is that they aren't flashy or blown out of proportion, just a person doing things on the iPhone that I might do in my day to day. The experience you see in the commercials matches what I experience on my own iPhone in real life.

These companies throw together a bunch of hype videos with a bunch of bling to distract from the fact that the interface is still no where near as slick as the iPhone. Steve Jobs was right when he first introduced the 1st gen iPhone & said trying to use the existing smart-phones on the market was a frustrating experience. Today I think it is still mostly a frustrating experience, these companies just don't get it.
post #26 of 77
The ad is now posted at this "sure to be successful" site:

www.iphonekiller.com
post #27 of 77
Quote:

Apple applied for one of its most significant multi-touch patents in 2004. The patent was awarded 2 months ago.
post #28 of 77
Look closely. The cover-flow like interface lives up to its name: cover-notflow.
post #29 of 77
Nobody can do better mutitouch as apple . IPhone supports 5 touches and iPad 11 touches . All mutitouch on apple products are used in apps and smooth. Blackberry only has zoom in and out .. Baby mutitouch !!!
post #30 of 77
So does this mean all new Blackberry OS 6 users are going to turn into those type of people I always see at the gym that are motioning their workout to the music they are listening, and look like fools while they're doing it. Cause what really oozes cool is dancing along, and playing invisible drums to music no one can hear ...
post #31 of 77
"Try typing a web key on a touch screen on an iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type. The iPhone has severe limitations when it comes to effortless typing. Of course you have more screen space, with more artistic interactions, but that's not enough. We've seen this before when Palm tried virtual keyboards. When they launched the Treo they licensed our keyboard." -RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis, Nov 2007

I guess things change. You have to give them credit for not giving up, but I wonder how much they have learned from their attempt with the Storm.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #32 of 77
I kept trying to get a look at the girl but these annoying overlay images kept getting in the way
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

LOL LOL LOL oh man..

Haha, I picked up on that strait away too!
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I kept trying to get a look at the girl but these annoying overlay images kept getting in the way

The only thing I still remember from the advert.. that and the whole "boom boom I'm so 2008" line.
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess things change. You have to give them credit for not giving up, but I wonder how much they have learned from their attempt with the Storm.

Someone at RIM finally woke up and saw the future. I fear they are entering the real game a little too late though.
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The only thing I still remember from the advert.. that and the whole "boom boom I'm so 2008" line.

Sounds like RiM is projecting a bit with that song choice. They really are so "2007" with the capacitance multi-touch.

Seriously though, I'd like to see what they have without all the misdirection that ad presents. I hope they have something great because it looks like about to beat them on the last thing metric they had over the iPhone, the unit sales per quarter.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Too bad Fergie couldn't be in the commercial.

I guess you missed her in all bells and whistles.
Images of TBEP appeared throughout, but Fergie got the most, including several seconds of prominent video time.
post #38 of 77
It looks like they took the iPhone UI and simply changed the font.
post #39 of 77
I have a Storm 2. It's a vast improvement over the Storm - there's enough RAM and processor to finally deal with the dog that is OS 5 (4.7 was much, much worse).

The experience is the anti-thesis of Apple. There's an official store where you can sell your apps, there's a variety of open stores where other vendors can sell their apps direct, and you can even download stuff directly off the web through Over The Air links.

I've been a BlackBerry user for years and there are only two reasons why I still am using one. 1. BlackBerry redirector keeps me in touch with my exchange server even though IT won't let me throw the phone on our BES, and 2. BBM - hands down the best mobile IM client out there.

My faith, however, is waning. Even with 6 coming, it'll be third quarter 2010. After seeing Gizmodo's thiefed photo-op I think the combination of iPhone 2010 and OS 4 is going to be too great to pass up.

I've had the freedom of open apps and... it's crap. The quality of my experience on the BlackBerry outside of the core communication features is garbage. Waiting to launch 6 until after OS 4 is too little, too late - and it pains me to say that. Give me my walled garden! I'm comin' home Stevie!
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #40 of 77
At first RIM and its fanboys dissed the iPhone, now they copy it. The truth will out.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch