or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs rumored to appear at D Conference in June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Steve Jobs rumored to appear at D Conference in June

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Steve Jobs could return to the stage at The Wall Street Journal's annual D: All Things Digital conference in June, with the Apple co-founder said to have "tentatively agreed" to participate [Update: confirmed].

Update: Later Tuesday, it was confirmed that Jobs will speak at the annual conference. Jobs will be interviewed on the opening night, June 1.

Without sources, Valleywag reported Tuesday that Jobs is expected to appear on stage at the conference, likely opposite tech columnist Walt Mossberg of the Journal and BoomTown's Kara Swisher, who co-host the conference.

"An appearance at D would not only speak to Jobs' continuing physical vitality but also his willingness to grapple with some of the thorny new controversies surrounding his company, including its newfound power over news media publishers and rival Adobe," author Ryan Tate wrote.

Swisher told Valleywag that Jobs was invited to attend, but would not comment any further. The report said that Jobs is "slotted for the show but not 100 percent confirmed." The event is scheduled for June 1-3.

After taking off a significant portion of 2009 due to illness, Jobs returned to the stage last September at Apple's annual music event to introduce new iPods. He had previously returned to work in June after receiving a liver transplant. The chief executive also formally introduced the iPad in January, and earlier this month unveiled iPhone OS 4.

Arguably the most famous moment at the D Conference came with Jobs in 2007, when he shared the stage with Microsoft's Bill Gates at the D5 conference. The two sat down together for an interview with Mossberg and Swisher, in which the tech titans praised each others' work and gave insight into their history with one another. Jobs said that Gates and Microsoft were better at forming partnerships, while Gates praised Jobs and Apple for their ability to figure out the next big thing in consumer technology.

This year's lineup includes Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, director James Cameron, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, and Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, among many others.
post #2 of 18
That would be sweet!
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #3 of 18
I hope that's true -- it's so rare to see Jobs in anything other than completely staged and scripted events. I'm sure he'll get mostly softball questions, but it should still be interesting.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... his willingness to grapple with some of the thorny new controversies

I like the word grApple
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #5 of 18
I hope Schmidt gets invited. I want to see how he responds/reacts to Jobs in conversation.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

I hope Schmidt gets invited. I want to see how he responds/reacts to Jobs in conversation.

Boy, I'm not sure either of them would want to take the stage together.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 18
After the last time he appeared there, I hope Kara Swisher shuts up this time. She was hopeless when Jobs appeared with Bill Gates.
post #8 of 18
She was either clueless or bribed.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #9 of 18
So basically Jobs will control the interview. No way Mossberg gets tough with him. Swisher was a non factor the last time he was there and he almost blew up at her. I think the statement was about PC's and their future and she said you can't call them PCs anymore or something like that. She was being funny, but he got dead serious and said why not. She backtracked and eventually dropped the statement, but it was clear he was about to go off on her.

Like I said, those two clowns won't dare mess their relationship with Jobs, therefore Jobs will essentially control the interview.
post #10 of 18
I predict he will whip out the new iPhone.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So basically Jobs will control the interview. No way Mossberg gets tough with him. Swisher was a non factor the last time he was there and he almost blew up at her. I think the statement was about PC's and their future and she said you can't call them PCs anymore or something like that. She was being funny, but he got dead serious and said why not. She backtracked and eventually dropped the statement, but it was clear he was about to go off on her.

Like I said, those two clowns won't dare mess their relationship with Jobs, therefore Jobs will essentially control the interview.

Give me a shot at 'm and a slew of questions from the various Apple rumor sites' members and let's get things cooking! I'm not afraid of fire when it's too cold outside to play!
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #12 of 18
please no Kara Swisher this time.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Give me a shot at 'm and a slew of questions from the various Apple rumor sites' members and let's get things cooking! I'm not afraid of fire when it's too cold outside to play!

We'll you can't get all crazy with the questions either if that opportunity would arise. I would be rather professional and ask questions that I know will get a good response. I wouldn't ask something like, so why did you fail to tell your shareholders about your illness and why did you pay to get to the top of the liver transplant list?
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

We'll you can't get all crazy with the questions either if that opportunity would arise. I would be rather professional and ask questions that I know will get a good response. I wouldn't ask something like, so why did you fail to tell your shareholders about your illness and why did you pay to get to the top of the liver transplant list?

Wow, yeah, I guess there are some questions that are a bit too sensitive to mention.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I like the word grApple

Don't you mean igrApple?

Oh and we are in an entirely different world then we were in the last time Steve did the conference...

- Google issues
- Various levels of Movie, Music, TV studio issues
- Assorted print publisher topics that still might be 'gelling' and too sensitive to discuss in public.

Lots of stuff that I could see being deemed 'off limits' (if they allow censoring) and might greatly lessen any positive impact Steve might otherwise be able to make. Maybe not, but it might be tricky. On the positive side of the coin the only thing Steve likes better than a captive audience... is a BIGGER captive audience.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #16 of 18
lol @ "Apple's Steve Jobs"

For a second there I thought they were talking about some OTHER Steve Jobs
post #17 of 18
.

Yes, always happy to see His Steveness

AND, with Walt

.

But Kara ?

Well, God Bless Her

Even more, God Bless Walt

He must have the Patience of a Saint to put up with her

.
post #18 of 18
Dream interview: Steve Jobs on Charlie Rose. Charlie interviewed him only once - back in 1996.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs rumored to appear at D Conference in June