or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco

Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco

post #1 of 55
Apple announced Wednesday that its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where it is expected to reveal its next-generation iPhone, will be held June 7 through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West.

The five-day conference will include the first-ever iPad development sessions and hands-on working labs for iPhone OS 4, as well as Mac OS X core technology labs.

"This year's WWDC offers developers in-depth sessions and hands-on working labs to learn more about iPhone OS 4, the world's most advanced mobile operating system," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iPhone Software. "WWDC provides a unique opportunity for developers to work side-by-side with Apple engineers and interface designers to make their iPhone and iPad apps even better."

WWDC 2010 is focused on providing advanced content for skilled developers across five key technology tracks: Application Frameworks; Internet & Web; Graphics & Media; Developer Tools; and Core OS. Apple engineers will deliver over 100 solutions-oriented technical sessions and labs. WWDC 2010 gives an incredibly diverse community the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iPhone, iPad and Mac developers from around the world.

Sessions offered in support of the five technology tracks include:

Application Frameworks: Implementing Local and Push Notifications; Future Proofing Your App; Understanding Foundation; What's New in Foundation for iPhone OS 4; Advanced Cocoa Text Tips and Tricks; API Design for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch; Advanced Gesture Recognition; Integrating Ads with iAd; Building a Server-driven Personalized User Experience; Using Core Location in iPhone OS 4; and Calendar Integration with Event Kit.
Internet & Web: Delivering Audio and Video Using Web Standards; Getting the Most Out of Safari Integrated Developer Tools; Using HTML5 Local Data Storage; Adding Touch and Gesture Detection to Webpages on iPhone OS; and Creating Info Graphics with Standard Web Technologies.
Graphics & Media: OpenGL ES Tuning & Optimization; OpenGL ES Shading & Advanced Rendering; OpenGL ES Overview for iPhone OS; OpenGL for Mac OS X; Game Design and Development for iPhone OS; Introduction to Game Center; Setting Up Games on Game Center; Game Center Techniques; Core Animation in Practice; Discovering AV Foundation; Editing Media with AV Foundation; and Advances in HTTP Live Streaming.
Developer Tools: Developer Tools Overview; Designing Apps with Interface Builder; Working Effectively with Objective-C on iPhone OS; Mastering Core Data; Advanced Objective-C and Garbage Collection Techniques; Advanced Performance Analysis with Instruments; Mastering Xcode for iPhone Development; and Adopting Multitasking on iPhone OS.
Core OS: Network Apps for iPhone OS; Core OS Networking; Creating Secure Apps; Developing Apps that Work with iPhone OS Accessories; I/O Kit Device Drivers for Mac OS X; and Simplifying Networking Using Bonjour.

Additionally, there will be five iPad and five iPhone Apple Design Award winners announced at WWDC 2010. There is no requirement to enter and winners will be selected from the App Store based on criteria that includes design, technical excellence, innovation, quality, technology adoption and performance.

For more information and registration details, visit the WWDC 2010 Web site at developer.apple.com/wwdc.

The first half of June will be particularly busy for Apple. On the first of the month, the company's chief executive, Steve Jobs, will kick off the annual D: All Things Digital conference hosted by The Wall Street Journal with an on-stage interview.

Last year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12, and included the introduction of the iPhone 3GS. This year, a leaked prototype of the fourth-generation iPhone has shown the hardware will have a redesigned outer shell, and add new capabilities like a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have suggested that the prototype design was likely very similar to the shipping product users will see this summer.
post #2 of 55
Cant wait
post #3 of 55
Wahoo! OS 4 and iPhone 4! Apple just doesn't let up on the caffeine kool-aid.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #4 of 55
womp womp
post #5 of 55
Seems kind of early... maybe not.

But I wonder now that the cat's out of the bag!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #6 of 55
I'm too lazy to look this up, but didn't we expect WWDC to be in late June/early July this year? I could have sworn I read something like that here...
post #7 of 55
Good Morning, thanks for coming to WWDC. You know recently we had some issues with the media in regards to our next iPhone. I'm here to say that this year there won't be a new model as punishment.
post #8 of 55
I agree it is quite early. Perhaps that means no beta of the next OS X this year? No wonder the Mac developer program is lowered to $99. Imagine it was still $499 and all you get all year are betas of point updates.
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wahoo! OS 4 and iPhone 4! Apple just doesn't let up on the caffeine kool-aid.

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es and smart phone hardware out there, and it comes from the "Think Different" company, to boot! So you can have your Droid Does, Android OS, Nexus One iPhone-lite and all the other iPhone wannabes all you want... They'll never be the "Un-Cola" of Smart Phones, Apple and it bunch of computer guys just walked in and they just got it (Thanks Ed)!

HAHAHA....

And this is what the iPhone does to the competition!

The Apple iPhone, "Crisp and Clean and No Android OS... "Never had it! Never will!"

Love those retro commercials!...

post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es and smart phone hardware out there, and it comes from the "Think Different" company, to boot! So you can have your Droid Does, Android OS, Nexus One iPhone-lite and all the other iPhone wannabes all you want... They'll never be the "Un-Cola" of Smart Phones, Apple and it bunch of computer guys just walked in and they just got it (Thanks Ed)!

HAHAHA....

And this is what the iPhone does to the competition!

The Apple iPhone, "Crisp and Clean and No Android OS... "Never had it! Never will!"

Love those retro commercials!...

That was a trip! Love the second one especially. Looks like what Apple did to Google, lol.
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I agree it is quite early. Perhaps that means no beta of the next OS X this year? No wonder the Mac developer program is lowered to $99. Imagine it was still $499 and all you get all year are betas of point updates.

The iPhone 3GS announced last year at WWDC on June 8...
post #12 of 55
Why don't people due a little due diligence before commenting?
  • WWDC 2010: June 7-11
  • WWDC 2009: June 8-12
  • WWDC 2008: June 9-13
  • WWDC 2007: June 11-15
At least read the last paragraph

P.S. James, Rich, Sylvie, Arnold: Your addresses on the 'other' server. Got the house boat again. Let me know. [On the QT]
post #13 of 55
I predict a squarish iPhone with a front facing camera and longer battery life. Call me Nostra-gizmo-damus...
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That was a trip! Love the second one especially. Looks like what Apple did to Google, lol.

Like I said, love those retro commercials of my childhood. Brings back simpler times! Have a great day all... off to work...

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

• WWDC 2010: June 7-11
  • WWDC 2009: June 8-12
  • WWDC 2008: June 9-13
  • WWDC 2007: June 11-15

That's why I said "maybe not"...

Quote:

At least read the last paragraph

I would have had to read ALL THAT to get to the last paragraph!? Nope, like our Congressman and Senators in Washington in passing legislation, I only read the title, not the heart of the bill!

post #16 of 55
Am I missing something or is there nothing on 10.7?
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why would there be anything on 10.7? Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.
post #18 of 55
Quote:

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and did some searching around:

WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

See? I'm not crazy!
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Why would there be anything on 10.7?

I don't know. I guess because maybe it'll be the next Mac OS.

Quote:

Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Yeah I'm aware of that but I was hopeful that the developers could get a preview.

Generally they do give a preview before they release it to the untamed masses.
post #20 of 55
Quote:

Gruber either speculated or has inside info that 10.7 won't be announced at WWDC (or this year?) as Apple is too focused on iPhone OS-based products.

Quote:

Why would there be anything on 10.7? Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Because historically it is the typical timeframe to Preview 10.7, with the first developer Betas coming months later with a release slated for Fall 2011. It's far from an unreasonable assumption.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and did some searching around:

WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

See? I'm not crazy!

Wonderful - this little banter added a nice chuckle to my day. I remember reading that too but didn't even have the energy to write it.

It is so easy to misinterpret things when you don't have facial expressions and voice intonation to guide you. That is what give so much life to this forum.
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gruber either speculated or has inside info that 10.7 won't be announced at WWDC (or this year?) as Apple is too focused on iPhone OS-based products.

Not totally unexpected but I am a bit disappointed. Was hoping to see what they have in store for 10.7. Especially since the features of 10.7 will probably be more user oriented vs. the features of SL that were developer oriented.
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es ...

That 7-Up commercial wasn't banned, I had to watch that stupid thing a million times when it was on TV.
post #24 of 55
*cough* AMD *cough*
post #25 of 55
Quote:

Good Morning, thanks for coming to WWDC. You know recently we had some issues with the media in regards to our next iPhone. I'm here to say that this year there won't be a new model as punishment.

post #26 of 55
completely off topic, but the 7 Up Wet and Wild commercials were much better than the un-cola
post #27 of 55
Quote:

It's still the second earliest WWDC ever.
post #28 of 55
Quote:

Not totally unexpected but I am a bit disappointed. Was hoping to see what they have in store for 10.7. Especially since the features of 10.7 will probably be more user oriented vs. the features of SL that were developer oriented.

Maybe it is taking longer because they are skipping 10.7 to go directly to OS XI 11.0? Hmmm, you never know how marketing will want to spin the next major OS, and there are only so many .x left until they have to abandon OS X for something newer.

Seriously though, I doubt they are ready to do this, but it really makes me wonder what the next evolution will bring. I have this foggy image in my head that Apple is readying a huge leap in the coming years that parallels the jump from OS 9 to OS X. Very exciting
post #29 of 55
I think this year it will be all iPhone OS. I would love new version of MobileMe and iWork on the cloud.

I think new iPhone announcement will not be that exciting anymore, unless Jobs spin it really hard.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #30 of 55
Quote:

Whenever it arrives, I just hope it has Resolution Independence. I'd be more than willing to pay extra for a display with a higher ppi, but not until RI is a reality. I could be wrong, but RI looks a little better in 10.6.3 than it did in 10.6.2, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

For those that want to test out RI on their systems. 1 is the default, 0.8 would lower sclae down 20%, 1.25 would scale up 25%, et cetera:
Code:

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1
post #31 of 55
There is no Apple Design Award for Mac apps this year. Only for the iPhone and iPad. This is yet another hint that Mac OS as we know it will no longer exist in 5-10 years and will either merge or be supplanted by the iPhone OS.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

There is no Apple Design Award for Mac apps this year. Only for the iPhone and iPad. This is yet another hint that Mac OS as we know it will no longer exist in 5-10 years and will either merge or be supplanted by the iPhone OS.

In 5-10 years, iPhone OS as we know it will no longer exist.
post #33 of 55
Quote:

It's sad to see the Mac pushed further and further in to the background. And I know the iPhone is supposed to be the bee's knees, but to me it's for kids. It's a communication device basically: an expansion of the traditional phone to include texting and tweeting and Facebook and games.

But the iPad is something I can get behind. It doesn't have garbage collection which is something I think never should have been added to Mac (developer's rightly should have to think about how they are using memory). Also I like the one app on screen at once model - windows always seemed kind of pointless to me, and whenever an app (e.g. XCode) has an all-in-one mode I immediately switch to that.

In fact if XCode was ported to the iPad, and it had a real Ethernet port, I might make a docked one my main machine. Maybe the iMac will eventually get a touchscreen, and have a dual boot iPhone OS/Mac OS option, before eventually losing the Mac OS option.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's sad to see the Mac pushed further and further in to the background. And I know the iPhone is supposed to be the bee's knees, but to me it's for kids. It's a communication device basically: an expansion of the traditional phone to include texting and tweeting and Facebook and games.

[...]

In fact if XCode was ported to the iPad [...]

Seriously, this is crazy talk. Macs and Mac OS aren't going away. For one thing, they represent a significant portion of Apple's revenue. For another, although you can use them as standalone devices, the iPad and iPhone are conceived as companion devices: companions to a Mac or PC. And Apple hasn't invested the time and money in developing all the technologies that are in Snow Leopard only to toss them on the garbage heap.

And, Xcode/IB along with compilers are not going to be running on iPads anytime soon.

That they are focusing on iPhone OS at this years WWDC isn't that surprising, given that mobile is where most of the competition is coming from these days, and there are big changes with iPhone OS 4.0.
post #35 of 55
Quote:

I would LOVE to see a 10.7 preview, but I am not at all expecting it. Snow Leopard is a very mature OS that only came out 8 months ago.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Seriously, this is crazy talk. Macs and Mac OS aren't going away. For one thing, they represent a significant portion of Apple's revenue. For another, although you can use them as standalone devices, the iPad and iPhone are conceived as companion devices: companions to a Mac or PC. And Apple hasn't invested the time and money in developing all the technologies that are in Snow Leopard only to toss them on the garbage heap.

And, Xcode/IB along with compilers are not going to be running on iPads anytime soon.

That they are focusing on iPhone OS at this years WWDC isn't that surprising, given that mobile is where most of the competition is coming from these days, and there are big changes with iPhone OS 4.0.

I think it would be hard to argue that all these iDevices are not responsible for the increased Mac sales well above the industry average. And that Apple's increased focus on these satellite devices is not partially geared to sell more Macs.

The fact is, the cellphone market is simply more profitable than the PC market. The last report I read showed Apple getting about 35% of the operating revenue from worldwide PC sales. I doubt they would consider giving that up.
post #37 of 55
Quote:

It isn't crazy talk. Look at the evidence:

1. The MBPs were updated yet the iPad still dominates the front page.
2. There is no ADAs for Mac apps and are likely not to return.
3. The 'Get a Mac' ads have been rumored to been ended by people like Justin Long.
4. Jobs has repeatedly said that the iPad is the most important device he's ever made.

Since the iPhone's intro we are now at 1.0 Ghz dual core processors just three years later. In 5-10 years the iPhone OS will likely be fully fleshed out and there will far more powerful processors. The writing is on the wall. As of today the Mac only constitutes around 25% of Apple's total revenue.

The main concern is how closed the OS will be.
post #38 of 55
Quote:

Seriously, this is crazy talk.

No, it really isn't. Notice the I.T. Track has been eliminated. Yes, the "D" in WWDC shows it's for Developers, but traditionally there have been sessions on those of us who do more than pound code. You know--the ones who keep you developers functioning? Sessions on imaging, deployment, network optimization, latest I.T. tools & methods, etc. Now...nothing. I honestly don't see much that would make me want to return to WWDC this year.
post #39 of 55
Quote:

As am I. I am hoping that this year is just hype and excitement due to the iPad and new iPhone (to be announced) and that once these products settle (after WWDC). Apple will get the ball rolling on the Mac OS X train again.

Quote:

Mac OS 10, 11, 12, etc will continue to be developed because face it, a Final Cut Pro user does not want to be using the iPhone OS to edit the next up and coming Avatar, nor would Coldplay want to record and produce their next album on an iPad. As *cool* as that would be, Apple and the professional masses know that it is in no way realistic, nor would they allow it to happen.

I do believe that Mac OS 10.7 will have lots of multi-touch functionality embedded and we will start to see iMacs with touch screens but I don't believe that will happen till 2012 or so.
post #40 of 55
I don't think the Mac will go away, I just think it will eventually become an iPhone OS device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco