or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010 - rumor

Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010 - rumor

post #1 of 42
After Apple announced on Wednesday that its annual Worldwide Developers Conference will kick off on June 7, one new rumor suggests the fourth-generation iPhone could go on sale immediately after it is announced.

Citing "sources familiar with the situation," Ben Parr of Mashable reported Wednesday that the new iPhone could go on sale as soon as June 7, when Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is expected to give the event's keynote presentation. That would be a change from years prior, when a new handset was announced a few weeks before its sale date.

"Our sources say that Apple may break that tradition this year by shortening the timetable," Parr wrote. "An immediate release would also break another tradition: Apple fans camping out in front of Apple stores just so they can get their hands on the company's newest product."

Mashable also hedged its best by noting that "hardware issues, software bugs and supply chain scarcity always affect launch dates." The publication remains confident, however, that the new iPhone will launch in the first half of June.

Earlier this month, a report alleged that AT&T has blacked out the month of June for its employees to take vacation days. That was taken as an early indication that the iPhone could launch in June, instead of July.

Last year, the iPhone 3GS was launched on June 19. The device was formally unveiled over a week earlier at WWDC 2009, which ran from June 8 through June 12. A year prior, the iPhone 3G went on sale July 11.

Apple announced on Friday that WWDC 2010 will kick off on June 7, running through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. A date for the keynote was not announced, though it is expected to be June 7.

An immediate launch could provide Apple with a surprise for users at this year's WWDC, as a leaked prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone has already revealed that the handset will likely have a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have also suggested that the prototype design, which features a changed exterior with a flat back and aluminum sides, will be very similar -- if not identical -- to the shipping product to be sold this summer.
post #2 of 42
iWant.
post #3 of 42
This would mean that there would be no third party software to support new native hardware features at launch, like the new cameras, higher resolution display, etc. Apple could allow these features available in the SDK before WWDC, but that would be VERY un-Apple like
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJames1 View Post

iWant.

iNeed.
post #5 of 42
at the biggest fan boy gathering you would have a mass exodus headed toward the closest Apple and AT&T stores! haha
post #6 of 42
My 3g phone is feeling extremely dated now, cant wait to get an updated product.
post #7 of 42
The coolest thing Jobs could do would be to have Gray Powell bring the phone onstage at the keynote.
post #8 of 42
I don't see this happening. There's a lot that has to happen internally at Apple before a product launch, and they are very careful about what employees are told about this stuff before it's officially announced. Most Apple employees only know what they heard at the keynote. For the iPad, for example, retail employees weren't briefed until they showed up for work on April 3. I don't see Apple, in spite of the iPhone being splashed across the pages of Gizmodo, looping in their rank-and-file employees before the announcement.
post #9 of 42
Given the timing of the beta, I'd expect iPhone OS 4 to be ready to go by then. Certainly no sooner.
post #10 of 42
If that is the case then it won't be shipping with v4.0 but with v3.x. We got the v4.0 Beta and SDK weeks later than usual and to offer the phone weeks earlier than usual gives Apple and 3rd-party devs at least 5 week less time to prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The coolest thing Jobs could do would be to have Gray Powell bring the phone onstage at the keynote.

And then publicly fire him for using the G4 iPhone to pick up chicks? j/k
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

This would mean that there would be no third party software to support new native hardware features at launch, like the new cameras, higher resolution display, etc. Apple could allow these features available in the SDK before WWDC, but that would be VERY un-Apple like

True, but it could be workable:

* Apple could have its own app for the video camera (iChat?)

* Apples own aps (and home screen) could support the higher res (which I hope is a true rumor!), so that includes web browsing, email and mapsvery useful out of the box

* 3rd-party apps should still run and look the same as they do now (pixel-doubled, but unlike the iPad it wouldnt look bad compared to what were used to)

(And anyway, a few weeks or even a month of delay wouldnt help developers that much. Thats barely enough for approval delay )

HOWEVER, OS 4.0 isnt due until summer (beginning June 21). So releasing the new iPhone before then would either mean an early release of OS 4.0 (yay!) or that the new iPhone gets OS 4.0 sooner than the general release. I do NOT see much chance of the new iPhone shipping without OS 4.0, unless theres some interim release like 3.3 to enable basic functionality of the new resolution. (That would be disappointing, but OS 4.0 will still come along soon.)
post #12 of 42
That would be most excellent.
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJames1 View Post

iWant.

iNeed. (rats, sorry Napolean Phoneapart, didn't see)

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And then publicly fire him for using the G4 iPhone to pick up chicks? j/k

Classic!
post #15 of 42
Everytime I see that Gizmodo Exclusive watermark I just giggle at the irony.
post #16 of 42
Quote:

No, have Jobs introduce Gray Powell to show off the new iPhone and Mr. Powell fiddles as he searches pocket to pocket to pocket to pocket looking for that thing and have Phil Schilling bring out on a handcart a bunch of German beer and Steve says, "Not again, Gray. Not again, as Jobs shakes his head to the hoots, howls, screams and laughter from the audience...

post #17 of 42
Quote:

Or to be called to bring it on stage and then pretend to have misplaced it.
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010

Or not, Apple has a public at large knowing the next version is and thus holding off purchases.

Apple has to wait until a enough know-nothings buy out the previous versions inventory. It could take awhile.

$5,000 buys a lot of German beer...kids got taste.

Well, at least we know what it looks like. ;D

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
post #19 of 42
This is the stupidest prediction I've heard in a long time.

In addition to the previous pattern of "announce first, release week(s) later" (see: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad), Apple has already stated that iPhone OS 4 will be available in "Summer." Which, last time I checked, falls a couple weeks after this year's WWDC.

No way Apple releases the 4h Gen iPhone prior to OS 4 being available! Duh!!
Kevin Crossman
The Frat Pack Tribute
www.The-Frat-Pack.com
Kevin Crossman
The Frat Pack Tribute
www.The-Frat-Pack.com
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

The chairs the audience sits in should all be bar stools with an iphone 4G disguised as a 3GS on them.
post #21 of 42
Yeah. June. Like every year!
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

My 3g phone is feeling extremely dated now, cant wait to get an updated product.

yeah, all of a sudden my white 3Gs seems 'round' and 'pudgy!' When just a few days ago it seemed state of the art!

Ps. I'm loving Apple's new 'touch' mouse! got to have the latest 'stuff!'
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

No, have Jobs introduce Gray Powell to show off the new iPhone and Mr. Powell fiddles as he searches pocket to pocket to pocket to pocket looking for that thing and have Phil Schilling bring out on a handcart a bunch of German beer and Steve says, "Not again, Gray. Not again, as Jobs shakes his head to the hoots, howls, screams and laughter from the audience...

post #24 of 42
Unlikely... They need FCC approval first. FCC files are public. They won't show them before they show us. Isnt this why we had to wait for the first 3 models and the iPad?
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Unlikely... They need FCC approval first. FCC files are public. They won't show them before they show us. Isnt this why we had to wait for the first 3 models and the iPad?

The FCC will hold testing and approval secret until the company decides they want to make it public. I'm sure it has to go public by the time the item going on sale, but that isn't a problem here.

You can check out all of Apple's products on FCCs website and see that the testing was completed well in advance of Apple's announcement and FCC's release of the info. You can also see letters from Apple detailing certain items will remain hidden for longer, even indefinitely.
post #26 of 42
Quote:

Great idea!
post #27 of 42
Quote:

Likewise. My old 3G feels like a wheezing old fossil ready for recyling. It struggles even to run the iPod app for long without locking up or crashing, and when it comes to games... well I guess games are all written for the 3GS these days.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

iNeed.

Me, too.

My 3G has a broken off mute switch since 11/09, a home button that is flaky, too little memory, and today I notice several bad pixels in the middle of the screen.

iNeed it soon!
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

the phone will be running iphone os 4.0 which has already been made available.

the only thing that might be missing is cases

and I don't see them going on sale right away. at the least it would be the end of that week. or perhaps during the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

Steve walks out, reaches into pocket for something. it's not there. checks the other pockets. scans floor to see if he dropped out.

Powell walks out, hand outstretched "Lose something?" and hands him the phone

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #30 of 42
Quote:

nice but it would focus the attention to Gizmodo again. Besides, they shouldn't make fun of something that's being investigated by the police.
post #31 of 42
Quote:

Steve J. are you reading this... (i sure hope you are.)

that would be THE COOLEST thing if he did that.

I totally feel for that guy.

BB
post #32 of 42
Here's how Steve Jobs will introduce the new iPhone...

Steve says, "...introducing the new iPhone 4G"

Plays the video clip of Jason Chen talking about and dissecting the iPhone prototype...

Steve says, "Any questions? Okay... Thank you all for coming."

End of keynote
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Or not, Apple has a public at large knowing the next version is and thus holding off purchases.

Apple has to wait until a enough know-nothings buy out the previous versions inventory. It could take awhile.

$5,000 buys a lot of German beer...kids got taste.

Well, at least we know what it looks like. ;D

What possible insight do you have into Apple's stock position or supply chain situation? They have had decades of experience in managing inventory before major launches. US gadget aware users are all waiting for the HD but most non-geeks are not and in many other countries, the HD won't be available until later. Clueless...
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Me, too.

My 3G has a broken off mute switch since 11/09, a home button that is flaky, too little memory, and today I notice several bad pixels in the middle of the screen.

iNeed it soon!

What have you been doing to it? (my 3GS mute switch is loose but that was totally me putting the case on the wrong end - doh!!)
My mum has my 1G iPhone and even the battery is still (barely) adequate.
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

HOWEVER, OS 4.0 isnt due until summer (beginning June 21).

Isn't this the key thing - no way they will release the HD without 4.0 for even a few weeks?

They could release 4.0 only on the HD for 2 weeks. I don't know, my head is spinning...
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I would assume that they'd allow the current 3G/GS stocks to simply dry up and discontinue that particular model before they release the new...?
post #37 of 42
But, why? That will just mess up everything. The friday sale tradition, the weekend earnings, the global sales and releases! I think this article/story is just a plain hoax.
post #38 of 42
Quote:

Myself and my wife are in the same situation as you, so this would be a very welcome move for us on Apple's part. There's no point in us getting a 3GS now with the 4G (or whatever it's called) so close. And there must be a lot of pent up demand from others who are on 3G iphones with 18+ month contracts that have expired.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Given the timing of the beta, I'd expect iPhone OS 4 to be ready to go by then. Certainly no sooner.

I am not so sure the OS can be ready by June 7. May be by the end of June if things go well.

I bet they announce on june 7th and ship by end of June.

Time will tell.
post #40 of 42
Gee. It may be introduced only 6 weeks before my ball and chain with AT&T gets removed. I sincerely hope folks buying the new phones enjoy them. I mean that. My 3G has been an interesting device that has offered a lot of pleasure. Too bad it is not available with service to match.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010 - rumor