or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Fourth generation iPhone prototype's finder, keeper revealed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fourth generation iPhone prototype's finder, keeper revealed - Page 2

post #41 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

While I think that this kid, in effect did steal it by trying to sell it to Engadget and Gizmodo, I don't think he should be prosecuted. Everyone is fallible and makes mistakes. He sounds decent if what his lawyer says is true. The evil party is Gizmodo for revealing the Apple engineer's name.

If it was me, though, I would have sent the device back to Apple with a note hoping to get a MBP and the new iPhone when it comes out.

The kid is a greedy a$$. He had no right to the phone, and the fact that he held on to it for a while suggests to me malicious intent. It does not take weeks to decide that it NEEDS to be returned. He knew full well that he was sitting on trade secrets worth thousands. I actual believe that he was underpaid for the gravity of what he was doing. But it's like, when you deal with criminals don't be suppressed if you are the one that gets ripped off.

In this case, Gizmodo, in my mind criminals in this scenario, took advantage of the the kids greed. In turn, the the kid is left holding the bucket, as shield laws may help Gizmodo, but no such luck for the iPhone thief who sold it. He is not a journalist, and shield laws, if applicable to anyone, are are definitely not going to help him.

As a stockholder, and thus partial owner of Apple, I want to see him prosecuted so this does not happen again any time soon, to any tech company. Real money is at stake for this stupid guy's $5000.00 greed - drop in the bucket compared to the damage that this may have caused. And the jury is still out on the latter...
post #42 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

AI isn't outing the guy. They're reporting on what was revealed by Wired and CNET.

Also, this is much different from outing the engineer. In both cases, outing wasn't illegal, but outing the engineer was definitely a douche move by Gizmodo. Wired and CNET are reporting on a public case and didn't break any laws to do so. The finder was going to be named at some point due to his own unethical actions.

"Innocent until proven guilty."

All of what I have said is based on the claims of Gizmodo and Hogan himself.

My problem is less about "outing" this guy than it is Daniel's way of "reporting."

And yes, what Gizmodo did was of the douche variety, but the way this was presented here on Appleinsider smacks of the type of "reporting" done by pseudo-journalists rather than a simple reporting of the facts.

Daniel is often VERY good at analyzing and reporting the facts, even on his own site, but it isn't hard to smell when it is his own agenda that he is pushing rather than journalistic reporting of the facts.

He used to be a lot better on RoughlyDrafted until he started throwing in political and personal takes on more and more articles. But then, it's his blog!

I will continue to read Daniel's articles and blogs because I get great insight into a lot of things that interest me. I will also continue to be irritated when Daniel's style of "reporting" gets in the way.

The facts were not presented here in a journalistic fashion, in my opinion. I just feel he wanted to be the one who brought the face of this guy to Appleinsider, and the slant of the article shows it.

Just my opinion. Keep up the good work, Daniel! I do get a lot out of what you write!

Greg
post #43 of 120
And, in my opinion, the guy who lost the phone is not at fault, the guy who sold it is, and so is Gizmodo even if they choose to try and hide behind the "journalism facade."

Discipline the Apple employee (not fire him though), and prosecute the guy who sold it to Gizmodo, and prosecute Gizmodo. The Apple employee did not have malicious intent, while this guy and Gizmodo did. My opinion.

And Apple is not the bad guy here. They make money for the shareholders by conducting their business "behind closed doors" in areas like this and I have no problem with them initiating the investigation, if they indeed did.

And
post #44 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Dude, I wasn't serious about the earthquake. It's called hyperbole...

I'm skeptical. Before, you stood by your statement, now decide to now call that part hyperbole when challenged. Cute. Do you say you prayed for people to die, then later call it a joke?
post #45 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I am not thrilled to see LEFT, RIGHT, and other LABELS get into this forum... There is an App for that -- TV, talk radio, etc... Why bring it here, where it's supposed to be about Mac..

I do agree with you, but I'd just call it STUPID! A misguided sense of loyalty, Journalists Of The World, Unite, Stick Together!

The Press should be the first ones to BEAT UP on those GIZHOLES, instead of standing by/with them! They are no Freedom Fighter, but CHARLATANS who have not paid their dues, and tried CUT THE LINE!!!

It's too bad that John Stewart, even though it was a funny skit, ended up being very one sided!!! Even though he fights for his RATINGS, he should have put JUSTICE FIRST!!! Those GIZHOLES "journalists" are NO HEROES! The are a LOW LIVES RATINGS WHORES!!! They must PAY!!!

Of course it looks icky when you hear about the search of that "journalist's" home, but when that "journalist" acts like CRIMINAL, who is tech savvy, and can delete evidence in a Billions of $$ worth of Industrial Spying Case, it would have been dumb to set an appointment for a search!!! Let that "journalist" now sit with the police and watch him go through his hard drives, asking Q's! Yes, the lawyers will call it inadmissible evidence, fishing expedition, and similar lingo... The lawyers and Chen will be allowed to make sure that there was no planted evidence... In the end, let GizHOLES pay for the ENTIRE COST of this INVESTIGATION that must be concluded!!!

And I am not even gonna touch the Conspiracy Theories of Apple planting this whole story!!! I simply don't believe that they would!!! And if they did, GizHOLES would have been the LOUDES ones SCREAMING about that, and Apple would prevent the seizure of Chen's computers!!!

As to SF.... I've visited SF, and I LOVED it there!!! Great place + PEOPLE!!! To LABEL the whole town is a silly generalization...

Asking for SF Earthquake -- that's very LOW...., unless you meant it as joke? But, even as a joke, it's not cool to wish people death, with exceptions of Bin Laden and such!!!

Happy Spring + Mac Love to ALL, regardless of politics and or any other stuff that I'd rather not see here!!!! This Forum ROCKS! ! Thanks!

Overall... good answer!
post #46 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

The kid is a greedy a$$. He had no right to the phone, and the fact that he held on to it for a while suggests to me malicious intent. It does not take weeks to decide that it NEEDS to be returned. He knew full well that he was sitting on trade secrets worth thousands. I actual believe that he was underpaid for the gravity of what he was doing. But it's like, when you deal with criminals don't be suppressed if you are the one that gets ripped off.

In this case, Gizmodo, in my mind criminals in this scenario, took advantage of the the kids greed. In turn, the the kid is left holding the bucket, as shield laws may help Gizmodo, but no such luck for the iPhone thief who sold it. He is not a journalist, and shield laws, if applicable to anyone, are are definitely not going to help him.

As a stockholder, and thus partial owner of Apple, I want to see him prosecuted so this does not happen again any time soon, to any tech company. Real money is at stake for this stupid guy's $5000.00 greed - drop in the bucket compared to the damage that this may have caused. And the jury is still out on the latter...

Thank you!!! I totally agree!!! Hope that the Jury sees it exactly that way!!! And GIZHOLES gotta pay too, not just this kid!!!!

You are so right - this stuff is no kids games!!! I recently saw something on TV about hackers worldwide trying to steal US Companies Secrets!!! To see this GIZGATE as a shortcut for RATINGS done by "our own" US Citizens is not a laughing matter!!! It's an INDUSTRIAL SPY CRIME masking as prank or cutting edge "journalism"... BS.... It's a CRIME!!!!

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #47 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Then I'm sure you include Jobs and most employees of Apple because they are one of the most liberal companies in the Valley. Give everyone a break and keep your teabag talk for the next meetup.

I'll encourage him to do the same if you keep your a-hole talk to yourself as well, mm kay?

"A-hole talk?" you ask?

Yes, a-hole talk. Its called "Tea Party", and you know it. It's never been called "teabag" by anybody except liberal a-holes looking to associate the conservative activist movement with the gay sex-act. Anybody who suggests "teabag" this or that is an intellectually tiny, dishonest a-hole.
post #48 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm skeptical. Before, you stood by your statement, now decide to now call that part hyperbole when challenged. Cute. Do you say you prayed for people to die, then later call it a joke?

Be as skeptical as you like. The statement I stood by referred to the liberal wacko nature of San Francisco, and how it taints the viewpoints of the city's tech press regarding Apple's behavior in this particular case. A few people suggested that there was no such connection, and I pushed back and said there definitely was, standing by my earlier statement.

And please stop trying to put words in my mouth....I never said "pray" or "prayed."
post #49 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I'll encourage him to do the same if you keep your a-hole talk to yourself as well, mm kay?

"A-hole talk?" you ask?

Yes, a-hole talk. Its called "Tea Party", and you know it. It's never been called "teabag" by anybody except liberal a-holes looking to associate the conservative activist movement with the gay sex-act. Anybody who suggests "teabag" this or that is an intellectually tiny, dishonest a-hole.

It's easy to forget, but in the very early days, it was, it started as a "mail a tea bag to congresscritter" effort:

http://tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/ak...t=79282&page=1
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...id=58862492776

In the run-up to the first national tea party protest, I've even seen a few conservative pundits say teabagging on the air without any apparent understanding of the other meaning. There are other, better examples that I haven't recovered yet, but I found a clip of Dave Ramsey holding up tea bags at 2:00, at least he doesn't say "tea bag":

http://www.foxnews.com/search-result...yer-helper.htm

Needless to say, once the error was made known, that changed very quickly. Regardless of party, if one side makes a comical error, even inadvertently, the other side isn't going to let go of it for a long time.
post #50 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullius View Post

That's a really horrible effort at spin control. What was the $5000 payment for, again? To allow Gizmodo "access" to property which neither Hogan or Gizmodo had a legal right to?

They should just shut up and let the lawyers handle it. They're digging themselves in deeper and deeper every time they try and explain this.

Yes, and it isn't as though they weren't forewarned in January by Apple Legal about this very thing:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/915...eletter101.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/303...eletter201.jpg
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #51 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm skeptical. Before, you stood by your statement, now decide to now call that part hyperbole when challenged. Cute. Do you say you prayed for people to die, then later call it a joke?

Ahhhh, the Gizmodo Defense.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #52 of 120
He should have done more to give the prototype back to apple.....

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #53 of 120
Does anyone moderate these forums? Can we keep the silly political ballyhoo out of discussions that have nothing to do with tea parties, liberals or conservatives?

Plus it makes the poster sound like an angry schizophrenic off their meds and I would hate for anyone to get that impression based solely from a few poorly constructed posts.

Think of the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Of course it is, when 1 in 3 city employees make more than $100,000...thanks to, again, the liberal wackoism of the city. When a locksmith working for the public school system is making over six figures, with a full pension and rich medical benefits to boot, you know something's wrong.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNC51CLUBN.DTL

And that's in 2009, when the economy had collapsed and tons of private sector workers were struggling with pay freezes, cutbacks, layoffs and rampant unemployment. But combine runaway unions with a city government that's never met a tax it didn't love, and that's what you get. ;-) Liberal wackoism at its finest.
You win, I've switched sides.
Reply
You win, I've switched sides.
Reply
post #54 of 120
Brian looks rather sexy in a peculiar way.
post #55 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Well, if Appleinsider isn't cut from a similar mold as Gizmodo...

People are vilifying Gizmodo for identifying the Apple employee who lost the prototype, and then this appears on Appleinsider without the complete facts as to the person's involvement in the matter.

The words "alleged" and "not charged with any crime" are ones you should think over, Daniel.

So, if this person has not been charged with any crime, is it any worse that Gizmodo identified the Apple employee than Appleinsider identifying this person?

And people wonder why true journalists, journalist, bloggers, and people who assemble incomplete facts, are sometimes lumped into the same category.

Daniel, I often enjoy your thoughts and commentaries, but I don't appreciate this one. But, I'm now asking myself why Appleinsider would be any different than Gizmodo?

No, I don't recall if you called out Gizmodo for identifying the Apple employee, but thousands did. I don't see this as any different.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Greg

Apple Insider didn't out this guy - his lawyer gave a freakin' interview to Wired magazine! In the interview, the lawyer admitted this guy got $5,000 for giving the iPhone to Gizmodo. I don't see your problem with this: the guy's lawyer publicly revealed the information - on purpose.
post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

The kid is a greedy a$$. He had no right to the phone, and the fact that he held on to it for a while suggests to me malicious intent. It does not take weeks to decide that it NEEDS to be returned. He knew full well that he was sitting on trade secrets worth thousands. I actual believe that he was underpaid for the gravity of what he was doing. But it's like, when you deal with criminals don't be suppressed if you are the one that gets ripped off.

In this case, Gizmodo, in my mind criminals in this scenario, took advantage of the the kids greed. In turn, the the kid is left holding the bucket, as shield laws may help Gizmodo, but no such luck for the iPhone thief who sold it. He is not a journalist, and shield laws, if applicable to anyone, are are definitely not going to help him.

As a stockholder, and thus partial owner of Apple, I want to see him prosecuted so this does not happen again any time soon, to any tech company. Real money is at stake for this stupid guy's $5000.00 greed - drop in the bucket compared to the damage that this may have caused. And the jury is still out on the latter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Yes, and it isn't as though they weren't forewarned in January by Apple Legal about this very thing:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/915...eletter101.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/303...eletter201.jpg

Too bad those JPGs of the Warning Letter are too small for comfortable reading...

Clearly, GizHOLES were warned..., and they chose to play Hardball with Apple, still... Now let them pay for such SLEEZY "Business Model"....

The verdict in this case has to be such that no other clowns try this kind of stuff ever again! If they tried that in China, they would probably be shot after a quick trial... If my China example is less than perfect, the better informed ones on this forum could suggest another country..., North Korea?

The Press Shield in this case is a farce!!!. It is an insult to journalists worldwide, and particularly to those journalist that lost their lives in the name of freedom etc.! The real journalists should be the first ones to condemn GizHOLES loudly and clearly!!!

But, maybe mostly the big media decided to not give GizHOLES too much free pr by covering this story... So maybe that's for the best... I was annoyed when I saw the "raid... search" mentioned on CNN Healine News, with a photo of the stolen item, and GizHOLES site watermark!!! It was hard to tell which side the reporter was on, but if I had to guess, I'd say it would be on the side of the GizHoles, "The Victims of The Big Brother!"... Thus another "deposit" inot GizHOLES 15 Minutes of Fame Account!!! What a perversion!!!

When the New iPhone is out, soon I hope, this story won't matter much, it'll fade away, and, hopefully, GizHOLES will have plenty time in JAIL to write their book on how they tried to mess with Apple... Their fans will try to buy them more fame with petitions, and online videos, demanding their release!

Sorry if I come off too angry about this topic, it's just that it insults me!!! So many people at Apple, and everywhere in this world, work hard, on deadlines, pay their dues to excel at their work, trying to feed their families! Not every Apple Shareholder is a rich person with Play Money! It could be someone's retirement, or income! Then these GizClowns come in, and try to get Famous at those hard working people expense!

Obviously, GizClowns, like all other paparazzi, don't care about hurting people! Less and less is sacred these days! Celebrities are being constantly haunted by media... Ratings = Ads $$!!! Clearly, by picking on Apple, being The Biggest Tech Celebrity of Today, these GizClowns aimed to put themselves on a map in a big way!!! That's what Celebrity Stalkers and Assassins do!!!

This was a crime not just against Apple, but many more hard working people! And that is what makes me so ANGRY, particularly when that aspect is hardly, if at all, mentioned in the media in conjunction with this story!

That was not a People Have The Right To Know issue! The media should not treat them as "one of us"!!! The GizClowns are bad for the media!!!

The "raid search" of the Editor's home is almost equated to (prison, child) rape, or human rights!!! In reality, those GizClowns are nothing more than anarchists, pretending to be journalists, attacking The Comeback Kid Company, Apple, and its cancer survivor CEO, Steve Jobs, so that they can ride that company's coat tales, as far as Tech Press Fame goes, while at the same time hurting that company, using that company's own products (Mac laptops etc.) Pretty sick!!!

No, I am not gonna wish the GizClowns cancer, or call them SF Liberals... They are just a bunch of selfish brats, who tried to see how much they'd be able to get away with! I wouldn't be surprised if making a movie about this stunt was in their sick fantasies... And selfish knows no boundaries, political and otherwise...

Now, let the GizClowns go serve Big Time in JAIL!!! Hopefully they'll be put away without much fanfare, which Apple Haters will try to exploit to the max!!! Jealousy!!!

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #57 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'm so sick of these San Francisco liberal wackos (and liberal wacko felons) who characterize theft as "sharing" and suggest Apple is the new Third Reich when it moves to protect its trade secrets.

When is that next major earthquake due? It couldn't come soon enough...

It has nothing to do with being liberal or living in SF - people come up with excuses to justify their own misdeeds. Republicans have a lot of experience there, as do pretty much everybody. You can't all those Bush felons who went to jail "liberals".
post #58 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Brian looks rather sexy in a peculiar way.

You mean the same way that some women go for convicts?
post #59 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Too bad those JPGs of the Warning Letter are too small for comfortable reading...

...

Command+ to zoom several times should do the trick.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #60 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The individual who found the lost iPhone prototype and held it for weeks before delivering it to Gizmodo for a reported $5,000 has been identified as Brian Hogan, a 21 year old resident of Redwood City, California.

A posting by the Wired Threat Level blog named the individual as it continued to present a revised history of events that portrayed Hogan's failure to return the phone for weeks as a "mistake" and his sale of the device to Gizmodo as "sharing."

Apple is waiting for a criminal conviction of the alleged perpetrators. As soon as that is in the bag they will sue the pants of Gizmodo and Chen. It will cost them dearly.
post #61 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Yes, and it isn't as though they weren't forewarned in January by Apple Legal about this very thing:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/915...eletter101.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/303...eletter201.jpg

The Orrick letter bases it's opinion on the fact that the information is trade secret. However, many courts have held that leaving a phone in the public, even accidentally is enough to defeat the requirements for information being a trade secret. Of course, there is a circuit split on the issue, but the 9th circuit follows the more "liberal" approach and applies a very strict standard to be afforded protection as a trade secret.

Thus, the letter's don't really apply here.

If I were the buyer, I'd structure the transaction to make it an exclusive access sale as they are now claiming and not a transfer, but I'm also a lawyer and can spot those issues.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #62 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

The Orrick letter bases it's opinion on the fact that the information is trade secret. However, many courts have held that leaving a phone in the public, even accidentally is enough to defeat the requirements for information being a trade secret. Of course, there is a circuit split on the issue, but the 9th circuit follows the more "liberal" approach and applies a very strict standard to be afforded protection as a trade secret.

Thus, the letter's don't really apply here.

If I were the buyer, I'd structure the transaction to make it an exclusive access sale as they are now claiming and not a transfer, but I'm also a lawyer and can spot those issues.

I don't dispute your legal take on it whatsoever.

Irrespective of the outcome of the trade secret status, Gizmodo had clear knowledge of Apple's recently expressed, direct interpretation of their seriousness about confidentiality. Gizmodo's enticement contest, their glee surrounding the reveal, and their evolving truth-challenged behavior demonstrates to me that they're more interested in Gizmodo being the story and putting their finger-in-Apple's-eye. They may surmount their legal challenge, but they've risked becoming toast in the tech industry for a quick improvement to their bottom-line. That might not workout to be a wise strategy.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #63 of 120
post #64 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

rant, rant, rant...

Two simple words:

Shut up.

Thank you.
post #65 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Apple Insider didn't out this guy - his lawyer gave a freakin' interview to Wired magazine! In the interview, the lawyer admitted this guy got $5,000 for giving the iPhone to Gizmodo. I don't see your problem with this: the guy's lawyer publicly revealed the information - on purpose.

I realize AI didn't "out" the guy. Read the whole thing. You're missing the "Prince McLean" way of reporting the details that are interspersed with adjectives that slant it in a way that he is good at.

I already said that the facts were presented, but in a way that Daniel likes to do. You could put Oprah Winfrey as the author and you'd still be able to easily see it is Daniel who wrote the piece.

He often takes the facts and winds a story to serve his own purpose. You're just oblivious to the subtleties.

Yes, the facts are there. I'll leave it at that.
post #66 of 120
Oh. I thought it was going to be about an iPhone 4 version of Finder called "Keeper". That would have been awesome. Maybe if they just gave us a downloads folder. Anyways...

Douche, douche and douche. Not DED though. Hi-5!

Clearly the kid's an idiot. And the wired fud man too. Hence: jail.

Maybe everyone should get some tats and work out, just in case. Can't necessarily rely on the old noggin, or orphan work to keep you out of Harm's way.

(Harm is a convict)
post #67 of 120
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second...

For everyone who is wishing the demise of Gizmodo, did you feel the same way for ThinkSecret? Does AppleInsider and its sources deserve the same treatment?
post #68 of 120
the more i read about this i start to wonder
maybe this apple employee was stalked, and as he went into the beer house was targeted.
he put the phone down and it wasNOT LOST BUT INSTEAD STOLEN. the apple guy just thought he "lost" it because of his drinking
certain types of cars are done the same way, followed till they can be heisted
i wonder if other apple employees have been targeted, but this is the mark that "worked"

the people involved all tell me this was a coordinated attack

this smells really bad
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #69 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Two simple words:

Shut up.

Thank you.

Yeah, that one got old. Making comments where a proper name is repeatedly distorted doesn't work well for me. Lots of caps does it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Be as skeptical as you like. The statement I stood by referred to the liberal wacko nature of San Francisco, and how it taints the viewpoints of the city's tech press regarding Apple's behavior in this particular case. A few people suggested that there was no such connection, and I pushed back and said there definitely was, standing by my earlier statement.

OK, fair enough.

Quote:
And please stop trying to put words in my mouth....I never said "pray" or "prayed."

I didn't mean to do it on that one, I was referring to an unrelated recent Facebook phenomenon regarding a world leader, maybe you haven't heard of it yet. Never mind on that one.
post #70 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

The Orrick letter bases it's opinion on the fact that the information is trade secret. However, many courts have held that leaving a phone in the public, even accidentally is enough to defeat the requirements for information being a trade secret.

"Many courts"? Care to provide evidence?

In fact, all the rulings I've seen say that accidental disclosure of an item doesn't invalidate trade secret protection for anything that wasn't disclosed. AND, the fact that the phone was disguised weakens your argument further.

WORST CASE is that the court could argue that the fact that the phone was seen in public would allow Gizmodo to take pictures of the outside of the disguised phone and state that they believe it is a disguised 4G phone. As soon as they started disassembling, they were violating trade secrets.

Not to mention, of course, that the major problem Gizmodo has is not trade secret violations. It is purchase and possession of stolen property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second...

For everyone who is wishing the demise of Gizmodo, did you feel the same way for ThinkSecret? Does AppleInsider and its sources deserve the same treatment?

I've answered that already. It's not a difficult concept. The difference is that ThinkSecret or AppleInsider do not purchase stolen property.

If someone voluntarily gives information to a rumor site that is covered by NDA, that person is guilty of breaking the NDA, but the rumor site who publishes it is not - and they are covered by Journalist Shield statutes.

As soon as the journalist commits a crime in order to gather information (stealing property, buying stolen property, breaking and entering, etc), they lose that defense - and become criminals rather than just reporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Of course it is, when 1 in 3 city employees make more than $100,000...thanks to, again, the liberal wackoism of the city. When a locksmith working for the public school system is making over six figures, with a full pension and rich medical benefits to boot, you know something's wrong.

Last time I checked, it was a free country. You're welcome to move somewhere else if you don't like San Francisco. If enough people do that, they'll have to change.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #71 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

BTW, why didn't Apple or Powell immediately report the theft? Isn't that what a sane person would do? Rather than wait weeks? Weeks? Apple's famed secrecy may have been compromised but that's a real risk when you play those kinds of games.

Did it ever occur to you that Powell, out of fear of the "Hammer of Jobs" ©, kept it quite as long as he could hoping Hogan would act like a decent human being and turn the phone into the bar where he "found" it?
post #72 of 120
He is represented by a partner at K&L Gates. How can he afford that? Aren't they something like #3 on AmLaw? Bornstein was a 20 year federal prosecutor. Seems like a big gun. A big expensive gun.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #73 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Did it ever occur to you that Powell, out of fear of the "Hammer of Jobs" ©, kept it quite as long as he could hoping Hogan would act like a decent human being and turn the phone into the bar where he "found" it?

Apparently he reported to Apple immediately, which is what he should have done. That shows a lot of integrity on his part, although I sure the subsequent interviews with Apple security were no picnic.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #74 of 120
i am surprised that the gizmodo site is still up with all the pics and videos...

http://gizmodo.com/5520471/the-tale-...yline=true&s=i
post #75 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Too bad those JPGs of the Warning Letter are too small for comfortable reading...

Clearly, GizHOLES were warned..., and they chose to play Hardball with Apple, still... Now let them pay for such SLEEZY "Business Model"....

The verdict in this case has to be such that no other clowns try this kind of stuff ever again! If they tried that in China, they would probably be shot after a quick trial... If my China example is less than perfect, the better informed ones on this forum could suggest another country..., North Korea?

The Press Shield in this case is a farce!!!. It is an insult to journalists worldwide, and particularly to those journalist that lost their lives in the name of freedom etc.! The real journalists should be the first ones to condemn GizHOLES loudly and clearly!!!

But, maybe mostly the big media decided to not give GizHOLES too much free pr by covering this story... So maybe that's for the best... I was annoyed when I saw the "raid... search" mentioned on CNN Healine News, with a photo of the stolen item, and GizHOLES site watermark!!! It was hard to tell which side the reporter was on, but if I had to guess, I'd say it would be on the side of the GizHoles, "The Victims of The Big Brother!"... Thus another "deposit" inot GizHOLES 15 Minutes of Fame Account!!! What a perversion!!!

When the New iPhone is out, soon I hope, this story won't matter much, it'll fade away, and, hopefully, GizHOLES will have plenty time in JAIL to write their book on how they tried to mess with Apple... Their fans will try to buy them more fame with petitions, and online videos, demanding their release!

Sorry if I come off too angry about this topic, it's just that it insults me!!! So many people at Apple, and everywhere in this world, work hard, on deadlines, pay their dues to excel at their work, trying to feed their families! Not every Apple Shareholder is a rich person with Play Money! It could be someone's retirement, or income! Then these GizClowns come in, and try to get Famous at those hard working people expense!

Obviously, GizClowns, like all other paparazzi, don't care about hurting people! Less and less is sacred these days! Celebrities are being constantly haunted by media... Ratings = Ads $$!!! Clearly, by picking on Apple, being The Biggest Tech Celebrity of Today, these GizClowns aimed to put themselves on a map in a big way!!! That's what Celebrity Stalkers and Assassins do!!!

This was a crime not just against Apple, but many more hard working people! And that is what makes me so ANGRY, particularly when that aspect is hardly, if at all, mentioned in the media in conjunction with this story!

That was not a People Have The Right To Know issue! The media should not treat them as "one of us"!!! The GizClowns are bad for the media!!!

The "raid search" of the Editor's home is almost equated to (prison, child) rape, or human rights!!! In reality, those GizClowns are nothing more than anarchists, pretending to be journalists, attacking The Comeback Kid Company, Apple, and its cancer survivor CEO, Steve Jobs, so that they can ride that company's coat tales, as far as Tech Press Fame goes, while at the same time hurting that company, using that company's own products (Mac laptops etc.) Pretty sick!!!

No, I am not gonna wish the GizClowns cancer, or call them SF Liberals... They are just a bunch of •• selfish •• brats, who tried to see how much they'd be able to get away with! I wouldn't be surprised if making a movie about this stunt was in their sick fantasies... And •• selfish •• knows no boundaries, political and otherwise...

Now, let the GizClowns go serve Big Time in JAIL!!! Hopefully they'll be put away without much fanfare, which Apple Haters will try to exploit to the max!!! Jealousy!!!

You are the only one committing a crime here.

Please go here. http://www.dailywritingtips.com/cate...riting-basics/
post #76 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Whenever you need an attorney, you are already screwed!

True, if you need a lawyer, you're in a deep hole. But a decent lawyer can keep you from digging your hole even deeper. Though I think not lying, not offering information and keeping your answers short and simple are probably the three most important things to do. I understand that "pleading the fifth" has some very specific rules, best to have a lawyer to cover that.
post #77 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I've answered that already. It's not a difficult concept. The difference is that ThinkSecret or AppleInsider do not purchase stolen property.

If someone voluntarily gives information to a rumor site that is covered by NDA, that person is guilty of breaking the NDA, but the rumor site who publishes it is not - and they are covered by Journalist Shield statutes.

As soon as the journalist commits a crime in order to gather information (stealing property, buying stolen property, breaking and entering, etc), they lose that defense - and become criminals rather than just reporters.

I'm quite clear how the law works. However the point of my post, which you compounded, is that without people breaking the law or NDAs, we would not have much to talk about. In fact, this site probably wouldn't even exist.

Careful what you wish for.
post #78 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Did it ever occur to you that Powell, out of fear of the "Hammer of Jobs" ©, kept it quite as long as he could hoping Hogan would act like a decent human being and turn the phone into the bar where he "found" it?

The old adage that bad news does not get better with age is ringing in my ears. Pure conjecture on your part. I find it fascinating that you think that a person would be able to use a prototype Apple phone unfettered without regular attestations as to its whereabouts. This is Apple we're talking about.
post #79 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I'm quite clear how the law works. However the point of my post, which you compounded, is that without people breaking the law or NDAs, we would not have much to talk about. In fact, this site probably wouldn't even exist.

Careful what you wish for.

And, yet, that's not what you asked. You asked why this situation is different than what AI and ThinkSecret do. The answer, of course, is that AI and TS obey the law.

Personally, I would be much happier if people followed NDAs. I would be much happier in a world where people could be trusted to do what they say they're going to do. Sorry you don't feel that way.

It would NOT mean the end of AI or TS or legitimate rumor sites as you suggest. There are still lots of legal ways to obtain information without breaking an NDA. As a few examples:

- Reporting on a sudden increase in lead time for a product - which might imply an upgrade soon
- Reporting on items being received by AppleStores, Foxconn, etc that can be observed from a public area
- Reporting on slips of the tongue made by key personnel
- Reporting on roadmaps in one area (such as Intel and AMD roadmaps) that might affect Apple products
- Interviews with key people to see if information can be obtained

And so on. It's a little harder than encouraging people to break their NDAs, but it's more honest.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #80 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Of course it is, when 1 in 3 city employees make more than $100,000...thanks to, again, the liberal wackoism of the city. When a locksmith working for the public school system is making over six figures, with a full pension and rich medical benefits to boot, you know something's wrong.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNC51CLUBN.DTL

And that's in 2009, when the economy had collapsed and tons of private sector workers were struggling with pay freezes, cutbacks, layoffs and rampant unemployment. But combine runaway unions with a city government that's never met a tax it didn't love, and that's what you get. ;-) Liberal wackoism at its finest.

The problem isn't that they are making too much, it's that everyone else has been making so little.

Elizabeth Warren showed how screwed we are when a man today makes about $800.00 *less* than his father thirty years ago, and how a man today has to go into debt to get an education to even make that amount.

The economy is broken and the rich ownership class at the top has been sucking all the productivity and real gains of the last thirty years for themselves... the problems with the private sector definitely predated 2008-2009. It's been destroying the middle class since the early 1970s and they can no longer manufacture bubbles to maintain the illusion of growth or even sustainability.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Fourth generation iPhone prototype's finder, keeper revealed