or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple jumps past Motorola to become biggest US phone maker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple jumps past Motorola to become biggest US phone maker - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, there was an article in the WSJ earlier this week where Dell's consumer division was going to start concentrating on more premium products ergo 'margin' than chasing market share!

And HP buying Palm...or more like buying the $650 million investment Palm made in developing the WEBos. Which is an obvious move to distance themselves from MS's clumsy mobile OS.

Tech companies are finally coming around to have true success you have to control the SW and hardware....errrr like Apple!

And because the manufacturers are finally catching on, we all win. Competition is a good thing.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #42 of 70
So, what's the full list?

1. Nokia (Finland)
2. Samsung (Republic of Korea)
3. LG (Republic of Korea)
4. Sony Ericsson (UK)
5. RIM (Canada)
6. Huawei(China)
7. HTC (Tawain)
8. Apple (US)
9. Motorola (US)

?

That's just my guess but I can't find any concrete figures online.
post #43 of 70
Kind of odd to call Apple a "manufacturer" of cell phones. More accurate, I think, to say that Apple is a "designer and distributor" of cell phones.
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are there any stats showing the iPhone's sales in Finland?

Comprehension is always tricky. Biggest US Phone maker has nothing to do with Biggest World Phone maker.

Get it?
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Have to agree the the iPHONE craze is losing steam. While the iPHONE represents a great piece of technology, it's still behind in features that many current cellphones & smart phones currently have. A few examples woulds be an LED Flash, A removable (sic) battery, etc.
Sure the numbers are up as Apple is entering new markets. Hopefully Apple realizes that the they should have as many features if not more than the current phones on the market.



I would agree with you in a certain sense that the current model of iPhone is losing it´s appeal, but since the new model has been accidentally leaked by a drunk Apple engineer, will certainly renew the interest in the device when it is released.

I´m sure with the new model the battery life has been improved and as long as it lasts over 4 years it should be good enough for most people.
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Have to agree the the IPHONE craze is losing steam. While the IPHONE represents a great piece of technology, it'sstill behind in features that many current cellphones & smartphones currently have. A few examples woulds be an LED Flash, A removeable battery, etc.
Sure the numbers are up as Apple is entering new markets. Hopefully Apple realizes that the they should have as many features if not more than the current phones on the market.

It is probably a fairly safe assumption that Apple is continually adding and advancing the feature of the iPhone. They have an established schedule (though not guaranteed) for releasing now models. They have clearly shown that they were and are leaders in innovating in the mobile space. They have also shown that when specific features are missing, if they are a good fit for them platform, then they will add them. Here is a hint, not one phone on the market has every single feature that every other phone on the market has.

Specifically about removable batteries...have you ever actually had to swap your battery on your phone? In almost two years with my 3G, I have maybe in a situation 3 or 4 times where a spare would have helped. I keep a charged morphie in my car, so it hasn't ever actually been an issue. Would a spare battery have helped? Sure, in the exact way that a battery pack helps. It isn't like I am going to carry either in my pocket day to day, unless I think i will be away from a charger for many hours. I am sure Apple weighed the trade offs for removable batteries. What would they would lose in battery size, capacity, esthetics, etc was deemed not worth it for the miniscule benefit of allowing a user to carry a spare batter around vs carrying a battery pack. To me at least, it is a non issue.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Have to agree the the IPHONE craze is losing steam. While the IPHONE represents a great piece of technology, it'sstill behind in features that many current cellphones & smartphones currently have. A few examples woulds be an LED Flash, A removeable battery, etc.
Sure the numbers are up as Apple is entering new markets. Hopefully Apple realizes that the they should have as many features if not more than the current phones on the market.

Wish we could fast forward to June 7. I think the iPhone 4G (or whatever it will be called) will take the throne (at least for a little while).

The main problem is Apple has to deal with 56 different Android phones with a new phone or two coming out every week and on all 4 carriers. Apple releases 1 new phone a year on one carrier.

Apple does pretty good considering.

I think Apple does need to update the phone twice a year. It begins to look stale by around the 8th month or so. And another carrier would be nice but Apple does not seem too interested in that.

If the leaked phone was feature locked, there will be a better camera with a LED flash. There will be a front facing camera. There will be a faster processor. There will be a higher resolution screen.

BUT.........

No replaceable battery. People ought to just deal with this fact. They have even sealed up the laptops now.

It will be the best upgrade yet. Makes me smile that I have held on to my original 2G.
post #48 of 70
Nokia is the biggest in this category. You simply live too much in the USA and so you think that it is global market. It ain't.

Sorry, but I thought we are talking about world news... especially as the USA is not the leader in mobile and telecommunication overall at all anymore.


(An Euro living in the USA for long time)
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Nokia is the biggest in this category. You simply live too much in the USA and so you think that it is global market. It ain't.

Sorry, but I thought we are talking about world news... especially as the USA is not the leader in mobile and telecommunication overall at all anymore.


(An Euro living in the USA for long time)

Yeah, everyone knows that, thanks.

Everyone also knows that Nokia is one the least profitable, least innovative companies when it comes to the future of the smartphone business. That is where growth, profitability, and value lie.

The company is struggling with all three, and we've discussed this ad nauseam. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_iphone.html)

Just take a look at the company's stock price performance over the past year. Tells you everything you need to know.
post #50 of 70
Apple much better then moto. Moto phones have a tenancy to break before your 2 year contract expires. I still see iPhone 2Gs around which look like they did not live in a case, but still work great. Nokia's phones are the most reliable though, they can be used as hockey pucks and would still ring without a problem.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right?!

If you like your Droid or Nexus or Pre... thank Apple!

If you like your cell phone period....thank Moto
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

RiM sold 10.5M in their last quarter. However, their quarter is atypical, going from December through February. We'll have to way until late June to see March through May.

Also, RiM sold the most smartphones in the US for calendar year 2009. I have doubts that will be the same for calendar year 2010.

... and RIM is a Canadian company.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sorry, I should have qualified it with an 'as'. Do you really think Moto could drop to a single model of phone and be as successful with it as Apple has been?

Yes, Apple fans are created and the number is growing. I didn't mean a single, static group of fans nor that those fans were the only ones buying Apple products. But, they are are responsible for helping to grow the business. They were more formally evangelists back in the day, because they were a recognized tool for helping Apple. But before Jobs returned, if it wasn't for those fans hanging on, even with disasters like Spindler and Amelio, do you think Apple would have been able to cling to life long enough for Jobs to return? The number of fans has exploded since (Jobs unique charisma is at least party responsible for this), but that is the point. Today's Apple would be successful just attracting new customers. Their success became a wild success because their customers become devoted fans. Something not many other companies can claim.

It is all inclusive, it leaves no one out. It is devoted to the entire marketing mix that will deliver a user friendly product to the entire world via every imaginable form of distribution. it is done at a profit with an economy of scale that denotes "market share" dynamics that further enhance a life cycle. it is the same as in past boom days when Sony ruled, but this time it is devoted to a life cycle where hardware is changed to meet improvements in software and not the other way around. Standards are proprietary with economy of scale and market share and life cycle. The proprietary effort has now evolved from software to uniquely built hardware that also has proprietary components. Those that lead are those that understand consumer electronics as a business model. Apple is the currently leader in CE. CE is an industry so large that a company doing a good business can be amongst the largest companies in the world. The consumer RULES!

D
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Comprehension is always tricky. Biggest US Phone maker has nothing to do with Biggest World Phone maker.

Get it?

Apparently comprehension is tricky because my query specifically asked about sales in Finland, NOT the US.

Why would I ask about Finland and not the US? Could it because we have plenty of sales data about the US but I can't, as stated, find any data about Finland?

Get it?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Have to agree the the IPHONE craze is losing steam. While the IPHONE represents a great piece of technology, it'sstill behind in features that many current cellphones & smartphones currently have. A few examples woulds be an LED Flash, A removeable battery, etc.
Sure the numbers are up as Apple is entering new markets. Hopefully Apple realizes that the they should have as many features if not more than the current phones on the market.

I hear this alot, but you need to remember that Apple only refreshes their iPhone line ONCE per year. The only time they can compete on hardware is the week or so after the refresh is released.

Apple really can only consistently compete on usability (and I still think they are pretty far ahead of the pack). What I'd *like* to see is them start doing is releasing major iPhone OS updates 2X per year. I think that would help keep the excitement going year-round...but, of course, their current business model is working very well as is
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Nokia is the biggest in this category. You simply live too much in the USA and so you think that it is global market. It ain't.

Sorry, but I thought we are talking about world news... especially as the USA is not the leader in mobile and telecommunication overall at all anymore.


(An Euro living in the USA for long time)

You mean Nokia's "smartphones." Because you can't talk about a lot of Nokias so-called "smartphones" without putting quotation marks around the word. It's a joke.
post #57 of 70
"No chance Apple iPhone will get any significant marketshare" - Steve Ballmer, April 2007

What's that Ballmer? Apple can't hear you because of the 8.8 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2010.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #58 of 70
LOL, Nokia sells phones to the bargain basement deal hunters out there, their handset is anything but high tech, and their software that runs the hardware is god awful. Good luck with Nokia making a decent smartphone on the high end of the spectrum, they've already lost that market/game, only time will show them how far they've fallen.
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You mean Nokia's "smartphones." Because you can't talk about a lot of Nokias so-called "smartphones" without putting quotation marks around the word. It's a joke.


Do you think that N900 is a joke?

post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Tech companies are finally coming around to have true success you have to control the SW and hardware....errrr like Apple!


Seems to be working well for RIM:

"This quarter Research in Motion became the first smartphone-centric company to register as one of the top five global mobile phone manufacturers, according to a new report from research firm IDC...

RIM's growth outpaced the industry at 45.2 percent year over year, according to IDC,...Strong international demand for the BlackBerry 8520 - which I've heard is selling like gangbusters in India - and the 9700 pumped RIM's sales up to 10.6 million units for the quarter...

The BlackBerry OS may need a fresh start in my mind, but nobody can deny the success that RIM has had in putting smartphones in people's hands.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363287,00.asp


Note that Apple is not in the top five. The conclusion I draw is that it is not necessary to make both the software and the hardware in order to "have true success".
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Note that Apple is not in the top five.

Want to bet in terms of profits Apple is in the top five?
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Want to bet in terms of profits Apple is in the top five?

I'm a consumer. That is of little concern to me. If this were a stock forum, the question might be of more interest.
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apparently comprehension is tricky because my query specifically asked about sales in Finland, NOT the US.

Why would I ask about Finland and not the US? Could it because we have plenty of sales data about the US but I can't, as stated, find any data about Finland?

Get it?

No, he was right, comprehension is difficult for you, you claim to be a long time Apple user, but by now you should realise that Apple doesn't provide localised information like this.
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You mean Nokia's "smartphones." Because you can't talk about a lot of Nokias so-called "smartphones" without putting quotation marks around the word. It's a joke.

ok then, what features are missing from those "so-called smartphones" that mean they shouldn't be called smartphones?
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

here's another example of a mismanaged company. Like GM it had Market share most companies can only dream of and it squandered it through inept management!

What was the phone before the RAZR? V60 or something...I remember admiring how small and high tech it looked. And the model before that Michael Douglas used in 'A perfect Murder' My wife had one of those for years!

Sad, sad!

Actually it is the U.S. government that is killing business in the country with its over regulation and taxes. Why do you think all of the Apple products are made in China?
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit V8 View Post

Actually it is the U.S. government that is killing business in the country with its over regulation and taxes. Why do you think all of the Apple products are made in China?

Because American workers are so lazy that they want enough money to buy food for their families after working all day? I hear the Chinese will work for what we would consider to be slave wages.

And the manufacturing externatalities can be, well, externalized in China. Around here, we don't like used solvents being dumped into the rivers or burned in big pits out behind the factory.
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Very few other companies could be successful with the same model. They don't have the same panache and they don't have Jobs. Without the hardcore, long time Apple fans and the more nouveau fans that came on board with the iPod, you wouldn't have the base to build and sustain from. Other companies have customers. Apple has fan, followers and devotees (and the cultists, never forget the power of the cultists).

Tukas please Apple always had it followers,fans, cultists etc., but that did not make the computer business take over marketshare from the other manufactures. Sorry mate, but Apple has customers from all parts of society and that's why it is a success. Apple have given the consumer something that their like and keep on liking. Its new, fresh and to be frank is overall stable phone.

Again 2 colours and 2 models thats what other mobile companies would love to do.
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Because American workers are so lazy that they want enough money to buy food for their families after working all day? I hear the Chinese will work for what we would consider to be slave wages.

And the manufacturing externatalities can be, well, externalized in China. Around here, we don't like used solvents being dumped into the rivers or burned in big pits out behind the factory.

Hmm native at its best. Cost of living index, use it and compare countries. Btw many people in US would probably take lower wages, if the cost of living was lower. The cost of manpower in US is high due to cost of living. About pouring solvents into your rivers, stop being native, USA did same thing not so many years ago, but i suppose chemicals and solvents are different *sarcasm* and if I remember a famous actress (Julie Roberts) starred in that true life film.
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Do you think that N900 is a joke?


you need to take time to read people's comments, he said lots of them that means majority, not everyone.
Do you think N900 will be the saviour for Nokia to knock iPhone from its success story, I very much doubt it.
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Tukas please Apple always had it followers,fans, cultists etc., but that did not make the computer business take over marketshare from the other manufactures. Sorry mate, but Apple has customers from all parts of society and that's why it is a success. Apple have given the consumer something that their like and keep on liking. Its new, fresh and to be frank is overall stable phone.

Again 2 colours and 2 models thats what other mobile companies would love to do.

No one is questioning that Apple's business plan, discipline and ability to design compelling products is largely responsible for their success. But it would be foolish to ignore the intangibles when discussing their success. Before anyone had bought an iPhone, it received very disproportionate amount of press, which had little to do with people's experience with the iPhone (because, you know, they hadn't used it yet). The multi-day lineups were because people believed in Apple to deliver a knockout.

Do you honestly think HP, Dell, MS or Palm could have been as successful if they had the iPhone? How about the iPod? I mean, because the HP iPod was such a massive success (and that is with access to a much larger retail distribution chain).

But yes, Apple is hitting on all cylinders these days, no question.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple jumps past Motorola to become biggest US phone maker