Originally Posted by Camp David
Whenever this nation's regional seafood outlets have issues, fishermen can go elsewhere to harvest the ocean's bounty...if 25% is shut down that leaves 75% operational! Luckily we have lots of outlets for seafood... this Gulf oil slick is a benefit in disguise for northern Atlantic and Pacific fishermen. Much of our frozen seafood comes from North Atlantic and Bering Sea off Alaska anyway! In terms of shrimp and oysters, I am sure the Gulf does not have a individual lock on those... I recall a decade ago when coastal Maine fishing was shut down the industry turned to the Gulf... just the reverse now. Secondly, I am unsure how "40% of US wetlands" are seriously threatened here? Threatened how in terms of a wetland?
I love Democrats like you "Never let a good crisis go to waste!"
Oil in wetlands not good. It will be there for centuries. It will kill everything. But don't worry if you don't live there and fish there and raise your crawdaddys there you won't have a problem.
Yes, huge environmental disasters are always a benefit in disguise! Especially for tax payers who will have to pay unemployment to 1000s of gulf coast fisherman and pay more for sea food.
Just a thought experiment:
Hurricane season starts shortly, if a big storm hits the coast and the slick is still in the water the oil will end up 0.5 miles inland. That should be fun for the beaches and tourism for the next 100 or so years.