or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez - Page 8

post #281 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Uh oh. Obama's coming. Look busy.

Look... idiotic Obama Administration employs local Hollywood idiot for cleanup advice!

James Cameron Working On Gulf Oil Spill Cleanup
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_596543.html
post #282 of 700
[RANT]Oil is so beautiful, we need it cheap and lots of it, we love it. we just hate birds, we love to watch them die, slowly suffocating, unable to move. What beauty! We also hate the color of sand. It's too light. Some of us don't even like their own noses or cheeks. We could have energy without oil in just a few years but we are too stupid and too lazy. My utopian fantasy liberal left wing crap. Does the CEO of BP have a valid work permit for the US? Get that leak fixed!! Palin needs all the oil too lube her cunt.[/RANT]
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #283 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

[RANT]Oil is so beautiful, we need it cheap and lots of it, we love it. we just hate birds, we love to watch them die, slowly suffocating, unable to move. What beauty! We also hate the color of sand. It's too light. Some of us don't even like their own noses or cheeks. We could have energy without oil in just a few years but we are too stupid and too lazy. My utopian fantasy liberal left wing crap. Does the CEO of BP have a valid work permit for the US? Get that leak fixed!! Palin needs all the oil too lube her cunt.[/RANT]

Spoken like a true liberal. Not only poor taste, but bad grammar.
I take it you don't own a car and live off the grid?
post #284 of 700
34 second video of oil spills hypothetical route from start to four and a half months later- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-1G_476nA
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #285 of 700
I love this video, there's just something so natural and organic, something so untapped and desperate to break free about her- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShxhzwNNlBs
post #286 of 700
If oil companies had only been allowed to drill closer to shore, in shallower waters, accidents like this most likely would not have happened, or would have been a lot easier to contain and cap.
post #287 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

34 second video of oil spills hypothetical route from start to four and a half months later- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-1G_476nA

Yes this oil spill will get much worse and portions of Gulf and Atlantic Coast will be touched by it. Surprised? You shouldn't be. Matter of fact you are to blame. So am I. Why? Filled up your gas tank at a gas station lately? Then you are to blame. As am I. As we all are. Is BP to blame? No. BP is a facilitator of oil and gasoline. People demand gasoline and oil and BP provides it. As do other petroleum companies. They are not to blame for this oil spill. You are. And me.
post #288 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Yes this oil spill will get much worse and portions of Gulf and Atlantic Coast will be touched by it. Surprised? You shouldn't be. Matter of fact you are to blame. So am I. Why? Filled up your gas tank at a gas station lately? Then you are to blame. As am I. As we all are. Is BP to blame? No. BP is a facilitator of oil and gasoline. People demand gasoline and oil and BP provides it. As do other petroleum companies. They are not to blame for this oil spill. You are. And me.

We are all to blame, just not equally.
post #289 of 700
post #290 of 700
Quote:

Yes, but it is the liberals who are the hypocrites.
post #291 of 700
Quote:

True... The federal government does inherit a larger share of the blame. It was the feds that denied easy Alsakan oil drilling and near shore drilling, and instead forced the oil companies into deeper water drilling. I doubt we will hear a mea culpa from them. So too, we Americans demanded cheap heating oil and low price gas. We are to blame. You as well. Now accept the blame and go on...
post #292 of 700
Quote:

True... The federal government does inherit a larger share of the blame. It was the feds that denied easy Alsakan oil drilling and near shore drilling, and instead forced the oil companies into deeper water drilling. I doubt we will hear a mea culpa from them. So too, we Americans demanded cheap heating oil and low price gas. We are to blame. You as well. Now accept the blame and go on...

That's an excellent summary, well done you and well done Sarah Palin for sharing your view. The ONLY area where BP should be held accountable is by not using more force to restrict freaky environmentalists from filming their propaganda- http://climateprogress.org/2010/06/0...l-spill-media/

Just like the climatologists of the GW hoax should be imprisoned so should the environmentalists. Terrorists anybody?
post #293 of 700
Quote:

That's an excellent summary, well done you and well done Sarah Palin for sharing your view. The ONLY area where BP should be held accountable is by not using more force to restrict freaky environmentalists from filming their propaganda- http://climateprogress.org/2010/06/0...l-spill-media/

Just like the climatologists of the GW hoax should be imprisoned so should the environmentalists. Terrorists anybody?

Good to hear from the lazy eco sector! Got any solutions here to the issue or just more condemnation of those actually trying to fix the problem? Yeah that's right... BP is the only one trying to solve this accidental spill... all the eco's do is profile oily birds on the websites and ramming Japanese whalers! What is your solution here?

My point above stands: if the oil industry wasn't driven off from near shore drilling, this deep-water problem wouldn't have happened. Time for government to admit their blame!
post #294 of 700
Quote:

Good to hear from the lazy eco sector! Got any solutions here to the issue or just more condemnation of those actually trying to fix the problem? Yeah that's right... BP is the only one trying to solve this accidental spill... all the eco's do is profile oily birds on the websites and ramming Japanese whalers! What is your solution here?

My point above stands: if the oil industry wasn't driven off from near shore drilling, this deep-water problem wouldn't have happened. Time for government to admit their blame!

Yes, yes I know, if we drill drill drill everywhere this would never have happened.

My solution is simple. Grab the rotten scum who favour offshore drilling by the scruff of the neck and push their faces into the oily sludge and hold them there. In other words oilboard them. Oilboard them until they die or renounce their oily lord.
post #295 of 700
Quote:

My solution is simple. Grab the rotten scum who favour offshore drilling by the scruff of the neck and push their faces into the oily sludge and hold them there. In other words oilboard them. Oilboard them until they die or renounce their oily lord.

I so love it when the left show their true colors.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #296 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I so love it when the left show their true colors.

Black is the new red.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #297 of 700
Quote:

Have your traveled in a vehicle in the last year fueled by petroleum? If you have, then the "rotten scum" is the guy in the mirror...
post #298 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

If oil companies had only been allowed to drill closer to shore, in shallower waters, accidents like this most likely would not have happened, or would have been a lot easier to contain and cap.

This point should not be dismissed. Accidents are much harder to fix in water this deep. But the Left has successfully prevented any new shallow water drilling. We won't hear about that, however. We'll get people using pictures of dying birds to promote an agenda that attacks ALL oil drilling. We'll be told it's our fault for wanting to heat our homes and get to work every day.

What the Left ignores, though, is that we need energy. Right now and for the foreseeable future, we need oil. It would be better to get more of that oil domestically, but the Left opposes that as well. Of course, it also opposes nuclear power, coal power, hydroelectric power, natural gas, et al. The only forms of energy liberals seem to support are wind and solar. Well, wind and solar aren't going to get us there. We need to do "everything" in order to eventually stop our dependance on oil.

One other point: Obama's goal is to kill gasoline in order to "get to" green energy. Nothing would please him more than $8-12 gasoline. He just knows that politically, this is impossible. He even claimed that the real issue with $4-5 gas was that the price spike happened too quickly. "I would have preferred that it happened gradually," he said. Among the Left, this is a common view. Unfortunately, the oil spill gives him perfect political cover. He can pursue the goal. He's already started, by reversing the decision on expanding offshore drilling. It's not that he's happy it happened...but he's not going to let a good crisis go to waste, either.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #299 of 700
No, the point should be dismissed because I can equally say if oil companies were forced to have legitimate safety precautions taken that other countries all over the world require of oil companies, this spill would have been avoided completely or shut off a long time ago.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #300 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No, the point should be dismissed because I can equally say if oil companies were forced to have legitimate safety precautions taken that other countries all over the world require of oil companies, this spill would have been avoided completely or shut off a long time ago.

The same could be said if we had drilled in shallower water too...

This spill would have been shut off a long time ago.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #301 of 700
Drill, Baby.... Drill!!
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #302 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Drill, Baby.... Drill!!

And now we have "Spill baby, SPILL!!!!!"
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #303 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

The same could be said if we had drilled in shallower water too...

This spill would have been shut off a long time ago.

Cheney said it's all safe no matter what depth. Do you call the man a liar?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #304 of 700
Quote:

Is this even a question?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #305 of 700
Quote:

Statistically platform oil drilling is safe; in the same way that statistically air travel is safe. That doesn't mean that accidents won't happen, just that they are rare. For the amount of oil we have thus far harvested via deep oil platforms, we have been very lucky in not having more oil leaks. Trouble is, like air crashes, when we do have an oil leak, it is generally very large. Moreover, as mentioned previously, it was the government that forced the oil platforms offshore into deeper waters.
post #306 of 700
Quote:

Statistically platform oil drilling is safe; in the same way that statistically air travel is safe. That doesn't mean that accidents won't happen, just that they are rare. For the amount of oil we have thus far harvested via deep oil platforms, we have been very lucky in not having more oil leaks. Trouble is, like air crashes, when we do have an oil leak, it is generally very large. Moreover, as mentioned previously, it was the government that forced the oil platforms offshore into deeper waters.

After this debacle we aren't likely to have much moire off shore drilling for quite some time to come.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #307 of 700
Quote:

Which government?
The one by the people for the people?
So it's your fault.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #308 of 700
Quote:

Which government?
The one by the people for the people?

That's a joke right? You're trying to be humorous right?

The US government hasn't been a government of the people, by the people or for the people for quite some time now.

post #309 of 700
You're right. Somehow the Republican party 30 years ago tricked a large portion of their voters into creating a government of the elite, for the elite, by the people. god, guns, and gays.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #310 of 700
Quote:

You're right. Somehow the Republican party 30 years ago tricked a large portion of their voters into creating a government of the elite, for the elite, by the people. god, guns, and gays.

How about we all act like wise, knowledgeable, informed, post-partisan and historically enlightened adults and admit that the establishment of government of the elite, for the elite and by the elite has not been limited to one particular political brand (e.g., Republicans) but has, in fact, been a joint effort of both branches (Democrat and Republican) of the establishment party. Shall we?

post #311 of 700
Quote:

Care to elaborate? I don't think you mean the GOP...
post #312 of 700
Whether or not you like the Democrats, they have been proponents of a lot of spending for social programs that attempt (note, I said attempt and am not discussing the effectiveness of said programs) to help the lower and middle classes. Do the Democrats do stuff for their elite buddies, too? Sure. But the other social programs for the lower and middle classes come with it.

The Republicans, on the other hand, have been for this trickle down nonsense which only has widened the gap between the rich and everyone else. Yet, they have the audacity to convince the little guy that that is who the Republicans are really fighting for. Bullshit. god, guns, and gays keeps the little guy all upset and pissed off while the Republicans widen that gap at the little guy's expense.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #313 of 700
Quote:

Whether or not you like the Democrats, they have been proponents of a lot of spending for social programs that attempt (note, I said attempt and am not discussing the effectiveness of said programs) to help the lower and middle classes. Do the Democrats do stuff for their elite buddies, too? Sure. But the other social programs for the lower and middle classes come with it.

The Republicans, on the other hand, have been for this trickle down nonsense which only has widened the gap between the rich and everyone else. Yet, they have the audacity to convince the little guy that that is who the Republicans are really fighting for. Bullshit. god, guns, and gays keeps the little guy all upset and pissed off while the Republicans widen that gap at the little guy's expense.

This is precisely where the disconnect between left and right [on economic issues] takes place.

Conservatives would argue that they have no less concern for the poor and middle class, just that their solutions to these problems better take into account how the world really works. They would also argue that the solutions proposed by the left are almost always based on bureaucratic and Authority-knows-best thinking that are undone by real world events.

To make safer cars, for example, Democrats invariably favour passing a whole bunch of safety regulations that add bureaucracy and thousands of dollars to the cost of each car. Republicans would point out that all the major safety features that exist today almost always debuted in the luxury car market and then got added to economy models as time progressed. Cars for the rich are always safer, but the solutions are first tested in that market. The amount of money being spent dictates that the product be well designed in the first place, and adds to the quality of the features being designed.

This, in short, is why power windows and anti-lock brakes work so well and 'trickled-down' to the mass market. This is in contrast to, say, the government-funded medical system in Canada, where tech like full body and MRI scans remain out of reach of the average consumer, decades after they were invented.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #314 of 700
The only trickle down that Wall Street has done for America is to piss on the heads of the average working class American and to let that piss trickle down their faces.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #315 of 700
Quote:

The only trickle down that Wall Street has done for America is to piss on the heads of the average working class American and to let that piss trickle down their faces.

Perhaps if Washington would stop punishing Wall Street some small business jobs could be had and banks could give loans to individuals and small business! Those neighborhood small businesses and small banks all across America depend on Wall Street not on Washington... The federal burden is what keeps the recession lingering not Wall Street!

And back to topical reference, if Baracky is "in control" of this Gulf oil disaster, don't you think he would have spoke to BP Exec/CEO Tony Hayward in 50+ days?

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/06/0...en-to-bps-ceo/
post #316 of 700
Those poor schmucks on Wall Street sure got "punished" by Washington, didn't they?

I understand that getting pelted with a trillion dollars can be quite the painful "punishment"....
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #317 of 700
Quote:

You'll get no argument from me that Wall Street has gone off course, but I think that the big problem is that complex regulations and perverse trading schemes have turned it into little more than a casino for day-traders.

I'm no financial guru, but I think that streaming the rules, removing the ability to 'bet against companies', and putting a small financial transaction fee to deter daily speculative trading would work wonders for the financial sector.
post #318 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You'll get no argument from me that Wall Street has gone off course, but I think that the big problem is that complex regulations and perverse trading schemes have turned it into little more than a casino for day-traders.

I'm no financial guru, but I think that streaming the rules, removing the ability to 'bet against companies', and putting a small financial transaction fee to deter daily speculative trading would work wonders for the financial sector.

Just look at how Republican pro-corporate policies have affected the lower and middle classes:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ica-2010-4.DTL

Don't you love how the increase in profits doesn't result in any kind of significant increase in worker salaries?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #319 of 700
All the while British Petroleum (BP) is trying to curtail the spill, Obama has doing his level best to put the oil business out of business, thus delivering a double-whammy to Gulf jobs! It is not enough that fishermen and watermen's jobs are in danger, Obama wants to put all oil jobs in the Gulf at risk - by stopping offshore drilling! So much so is this issue critical to Gulf jobs that Democrat Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu herself is pleading to end the offshore Drilling Moratorium now! Expect the White House to ignore this!

Mary Landrieu: End Offshore Drilling Moratorium Now (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_607317.html
post #320 of 700
Quote:

All the while British Petroleum (BP) is trying to curtail the spill, Obama has doing his level best to put the oil business out of business, thus delivering a double-whammy to Gulf jobs! Itl[/url]

Insofar as Barack Obama is not "doing his level his best to put the oil business out of business", in that he is not actually doing this, and that this is not true, and when you write this you are writing something that is not a fact (like "the moon is made from mozzarella" and "Edinburgh is the capital of Paraguay", for example) your post is interesting.

It's just that the world is not as you describe it or see it.

Maybe this could be a relief for you? Maybe you should take a moment and ask yourself if your understanding of the world and the world as it actually is are the same? You're wasting time, and energy, and anxiety, for no reason. Your time would be better spent walking, or looking at pictures of famous painters, or something instead of worrying yourself into an early grave for no reason!

You could stop, and you would be happier, and the world would be better, and we could spend our time trying to find solutions for other (real) things.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez