or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez - Page 10

post #361 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I think you mean BP, not British Petroleum, that's the old name.

I think BushPalin is better though. You know, what with Cheney and drilling babies and telling us just how safe and clean drilling is and the more we do, including in the Arctic, the better and cleaner a world we'll leave for our children and their children and if they have kids their children too. I'm not sure about after that though, things might start to get less clean then, but we'll just have to wait and see won't we?

Ok, so lame it is...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #362 of 700
Idiot-In-Chief now fully engaged in administration PR offensive down in Gulf ridiculously promising residents 'Things Will Return To Normal' - normal if half a million gallons of oil offshore/onshore for decades to come is your idea of heaven!

post #363 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ok, so lame it is...

Yes Noahj first we make the planet lame then we kill it off completely with global warming. But go on, cheer on Bush and Palin and any other retards of the right.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #364 of 700
Quote:

Yes Noahj first we make the planet lame then we kill it off completely with global warming. But go on, cheer on Bush and Palin and any other retards of the right.

Bush/Palin have nothing to do with the current response to this oil spill. How many times does this have to be said? And I have not cheered anyone that I can recall, please quote the part where I did so we can all be informed.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #365 of 700
Quote:

Bush/Palin have nothing to do with the current response to this oil spill. How many times does this have to be said? And I have not cheered anyone that I can recall, please quote the part where I did so we can all be informed.

I had a feeling you'd deny any involvement with *B*ush*P*alin policy on drilling

The shit hits the fan, the shit that the Left has been warning about and all you guys can do is attack Obama. It really is a messed up world (pun intended).

post #366 of 700
Quote:

The shit hits the fan, the shit that the Left has been warning about and all you guys can do is attack Obama. It really is a messed up world (pun intended).

Obama earned the criticism... he has done nothing about this oil issue for 50+ days and the people in the Gulf know it. Now, as his polls show his lack of leadership on the issue, he does a fireside chat... go figure! And I just heard breaking news he's appointing some Czar on Oil spill that - funny enough - has no petroleum expertise! Par for the Obama course....

Why Wait? Impeach Obama Now!
post #367 of 700
Quote:

I had a feeling you'd deny any involvement with *B*ush*P*alin policy on drilling

I had a feeling you would continue without thinking about what I had actually posted.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #368 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Obama earned the criticism... he has done nothing about this oil issue for 50+ days and the people in the Gulf know it. Now, as his polls show his lack of leadership on the issue, he does a fireside chat... go figure! And I just heard breaking news he's appointing some Czar on Oil spill that - funny enough - has no petroleum expertise! Par for the Obama course....

Why Wait? Impeach Obama Now!

If Obama has turned this spill into a disaster then do you think BP should not be held accountable for a lot of the financial losses because they're really Obama's fault?

post #369 of 700
Quote:

If Obama has turned this spill into a disaster then do you think BP should not be held accountable for a lot of the financial losses because they're really Obama's fault?

This disaster is not Obama's fault, how the administration has responded to it is.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #370 of 700
Quote:

This disaster is not Obama's fault, how the administration has responded to it is.

Well if Obama hasn't responded properly to it and that has made the problem so much worse, as I think you and Camp would argue, then surely you also believe that where the government failed, BP shouldn't be expected to be held fully accountable?

post #371 of 700
Quote:

You are posing a two-part comment to my response; let's address your comment slowly ...

Quote:

If Obama has turned this spill into a disaster...

I do not blame Obama for the oil spill but the response is certainly fit matter to hold to his responsibility... We are at 55+ days...what has he done? What has BP done? Katrina was an environmental disaster as is this oil spill. While this oil leak was an accident it was, in part, due to man and it affects the environment. Thus what has the government done to contain the spill? Many share my opinion that Obama's weak leadership has contributed toward this spill turning into a disaster. He has yet to even speak to BP CEO! Now, from Obama's address this evening, he is using crisis to pitch his environmental policy. That's criminal! More criminal, Obama posed no solutions or specifics this evening... no appeal to foreign nations for cleanup help, no plan to use other oil concerns (other than BP) for tech assistance. No specific plan whatsoever.

Quote:

... you think BP should not be held accountable for a lot of the financial losses because they're really Obama's fault?

I strongly doubt BP planned this oil leak! Whether you agree or not, it was an accidental oil spill. BP should be responsible for its cleanup but let's not demonize BP... everyone that fills up with fuel at gas station is partly responsible. Let's move to cleanup the mess but not use the crisis to further a policy as Obama seems to be doing...
post #372 of 700

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #373 of 700
Quote:

Well if Obama hasn't responded properly to it and that has made the problem so much worse, as I think you and Camp would argue, then surely you also believe that where the government failed, BP shouldn't be expected to be held fully accountable?

Bp should be held accountable no matter what.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #374 of 700
Quote:

If you were president what exactly would you have done differently?
post #375 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'll tell you what I would have done:

First, once the magnitude of the spill was realized (say, within 5 days), give a national address. Explain that while there will be time to place blame later, we will now focus on cleanup and preventing environmental disaster. Explain that first priority is protecting shorelines. Direct all federal regulators/agencies to approve or disapprove state and local cleanup plans within 24 hours of submission. Meanwhile, get your hands on every last piece of equipment possible---from every nation that offers it. Waive the Jones Act, which requires vessels in American waters be crewed by Americans. I would have met with BP executives within a week of the spill, not 8 weeks. I would tell the EPA that I'm running the show, and that I don't want to hear about anyone rejecting offers of foreign aid without my knowledge.

Here's what I would avoid: Saying "we'll keep our boot on the throat of BP." I would not say that "I'll make BP pay." I would not been seen eating seafood and drinking rum drinks on the Gulf Coast. I would not play four hours of golf this week. In fact, I would give up golf at least until this is contained. I would not be pushing a new national energy tax and cap and trade legislation. I would not give what amounted to a campaign speech at a military base in Pensecola, where I use military members as a backdrop and talk about what an awesome military we have---only to have the thrust of the speech be about the oil spill.

How's that for a start?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #376 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

First, once the magnitude of the spill was realized (say, within 5 days), give a national address. Explain that while there will be time to place blame later, we will now focus on cleanup and preventing environmental disaster. Explain that first priority is protecting shorelines. Direct all federal regulators/agencies to approve or disapprove state and local cleanup plans within 24 hours of submission. Meanwhile, get your hands on every last piece of equipment possible---from every nation that offers it. Waive the Jones Act, which requires vessels in American waters be crewed by Americans. I would have met with BP executives within a week of the spill, not 8 weeks. I would tell the EPA that I'm running the show, and that I don't want to hear about anyone rejecting offers of foreign aid without my knowledge.

These do seem like actions that are/were legitimately within the authority and responsibility of the federal government and, thus the president. These are the things that it seems legitimate to hold Obama directly accountable for.

Quote:

Here's what I would avoid: Saying "we'll keep our boot on the throat of BP." I would not say that "I'll make BP pay." I would not been seen eating seafood and drinking rum drinks on the Gulf Coast. I would not play four hours of Golf this week. In fact, I would give up Golf at least until this is contained. I would not be pushing a new national energy tax and cap and trade legislation. I would not give what amounted to a campaign speech at a military base in Pensecola, where I use military members as a backdrop and talk about what an awesome military we have---only to have the thrust of the speech be about the oil spill.

How's that for a start?

Yeah, well it's pretty well established at this point that Obama's kind of a dunce anyway and looks to be increasingly politically tone-deaf, but, hey, he's trying to look tough, so that's cool.

post #377 of 700
Quote:

Here's what I would avoid: Saying "we'll keep our boot on the throat of BP." I would not say that "I'll make BP pay." I would not been seen eating seafood and drinking rum drinks on the Gulf Coast. I would not play four hours of golf this week. In fact, I would give up golf at least until this is contained. I would not be pushing a new national energy tax and cap and trade legislation. I would not give what amounted to a campaign speech at a military base in Pensecola, where I use military members as a backdrop and talk about what an awesome military we have---only to have the thrust of the speech be about the oil spill.

How's that for a start?

Very well said.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #378 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yeah, well it's pretty well established at this point that Obama's kind of a dunce anyway and looks to be increasingly politically tone-deaf...

Alfred E. Neuman dunce....Obama meets this morning with BP execs for 20 minutes and plans 75 minute lunch with Biden --- Drudge is laughing about it!
post #379 of 700
Quote:

How's that for a start?

Yeah it's much better to stress out for month especially when you only have 2 wars, unemployment, banking crises from your predecessor and now a major industrial accident. You should not clear your mind ever in this kind of situation. That would be wrong and would cause you to make better decisions.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #380 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Yeah it's much better to stress out for month especially when you only have 2 wars, unemployment, banking crises from your predecessor and now a major industrial accident. You should not clear your mind ever in this kind of situation. That would be wrong and would cause you to make better decisions.

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me think you're just trolling. Bush was postively savaged for being a "vacation president." We heard about every time he went to his ranch, even though he was working while there. We saw him on the golf course during the beginning of the War on Terror, where the media portrayed him as uncaring and uninvolved. Yet, Bush gave up golf during the Iraq war because he didn't think it was appropriate. Hmm. We don't hear about that.

And Obama? He's already played more golf in 18 months that Bush did in 8 years. No one is denying the man leisure time...that is important. But being seen playing a four hour round of golf during a national emergency? Not a good idea.
post #381 of 700
Quote:

Obamapologists...where would we be without them.

post #382 of 700

post #383 of 700
Can anyone imagine Bush having even tried to get $20 billion? Yes, I thought so, but only FOR BP.

"Senior administration officials tell The Associated Press that BP has agreed to finance a $20 billion fund to pay the claims of people whose jobs and way of life have been damaged by the devastating Gulf Coast oil spill.
What's more, Obama said this new damages fund, used to pay claims to workers and business owners, won't be run by BP. He said an independent third party will be in charge to ensure people are paid in a fair and timely way."
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_613856.html

post #384 of 700
Quote:

Can anyone imagine Bush having even tried to get $20 billion? Yes, I thought so, but only FOR BP.

"Senior administration officials tell The Associated Press that BP has agreed to finance a $20 billion fund to pay the claims of people whose jobs and way of life have been damaged by the devastating Gulf Coast oil spill.
What's more, Obama said this new damages fund, used to pay claims to workers and business owners, won't be run by BP. He said an independent third party will be in charge to ensure people are paid in a fair and timely way."
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_613856.html

Do we get to spin this as "Obama made them do it" vs. "BP had planned to do it but Obama rushed to get out in front of the parade and take credit for making them do it?"

post #385 of 700
Quote:

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me think you're just trolling. Bush was postively savaged for being a "vacation president." We heard about every time he went to his ranch, even though he was working while there. We saw him on the golf course during the beginning of the War on Terror, where the media portrayed him as uncaring and uninvolved. Yet, Bush gave up golf during the Iraq war because he didn't think it was appropriate. Hmm. We don't hear about that.

And Obama? He's already played more golf in 18 months that Bush did in 8 years. No one is denying the man leisure time...that is important. But being seen playing a four hour round of golf during a national emergency? Not a good idea.

Bush spent 3 years of his 8 on vacation. A new record for any president. Bravo! the two things he did really good was vacationing and misunderestimating.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #386 of 700
Quote:

Bush spent 3 years of his 8 on vacation. A new record for any president. Bravo! the two things he did really good was vacationing and misunderestimating.

Since we've been told by Obamapologists that the president is never really "on vacation" (what with him being easily in communication with anyone, anywhere and constantly surrounded by the press and aides), does this also apply to presidents who are not Obama?

post #387 of 700
Quote:

Since we've been told by Obamapologists that the president is never really "on vacation" (what with him being easily in communication with anyone, anywhere and constantly surrounded by the press and aides), does this also apply to presidents who are not Obama?

Bush's brain has been on vacation since birth without press or secret service.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #388 of 700
Quote:

Do we get to spin this as "Obama made them do it" vs. "BP had planned to do it but Obama rushed to get out in front of the parade and take credit for making them do it?"

BP will was going to issue their shareholders more than $10 billion and is now canceling it. That's Obama greatness however you try to spin it!

post #389 of 700
Quote:

BP will was going to issue their shareholders more than $10 billion and is now canceling it. That's Obama greatness however you try to spin it!

I'll remember to bow next time.

post #390 of 700
Quote:

I'll remember to bow next time.

I'm sure he'd rather you just voted for him.

post #391 of 700
Quote:

I'm sure he'd rather you just voted for him.

I'll remember that. But he'll have to do something worth voting for first.

post #392 of 700
Quote:

How's that for a start?

Well to be quite frank I was asking Noah but thatks for your input SDW.
post #393 of 700
Quote:

I'm sure he wants to forget that.
post #394 of 700
Quote:

Well to be quite frank I was asking Noah but thatks for your input SDW.

You keep forgetting that these are public forums, not just a collection of private one-on-one chats.

post #395 of 700
Quote:

You keep forgetting that these are public forums, not just a collection of private one-on-one chats.

Even so my reply button that I pushed was on Noah's post not SDW's. I would have liked to hear his take since he made the statement I was replying to. Now of course we'll never know since SDW thought he'd jump the gun and reply for him. No matter what kind of forum ( or interpretation ) the reply button is positioned where it is for that very purpose.
post #396 of 700
Quote:

I'll remember that. But he'll have to do something worth voting for first.

What's not to love about the $20 BILLION?

post #397 of 700
Quote:

Now of course we'll never know since SDW thought he'd jump the gun and reply for him.

Another error in logic. First, it looks like SDW replied for himself (not for NoahJ). Second, maybe NoahJ will also reply. \ Then you'll have both. It's like an extra Christmas gift!

post #398 of 700
Quote:

Another error in logic. First, it looks like SDW replied for himself (not for NoahJ). Second, maybe NoahJ will also reply. \ Then you'll have both. It's like an extra Christmas gift!

The error is your MJ. He was clearly replying for him as he followed my post :

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac

SDW :

It's a reply to my question posed to Noah. Not just a statement by itself.

Now we will never know what he would have said without SDW.

The error is yours.

There's absolutuely no way you can spin this to reflect what you just said.

No way that's honest or makes sense that is.
post #399 of 700
Quote:

What's not to love about the $20 BILLION?

The $20 billion is from BP not Obama!

post #400 of 700
Quote:

The $20 billion is from BP not Obama!

But would it have been there if not for Obama?

Oh! Sorry I answered for Hands!

I'm sure you'll understand this being a public forum and all.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez