or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez - Page 3

post #81 of 700
Boston area still on drinking water boil order:

Quote:
About two million Boston-area residents and hundreds of businesses will remain under a water-boil order heading into the workweek after a huge water pipe break on Saturday.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #82 of 700
I-35W Mississippi River bridge

post #83 of 700

post #84 of 700

post #85 of 700

post #86 of 700
Quote:

Why did you post this?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #87 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I-35W Mississippi River bridge

y did u post this?
post #88 of 700
Quote:

2005 levee failures in Greater New Orleans

y did u post?
post #89 of 700
post #90 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Why did you post this?

Well, I thought that since we were discussing a disaster with a major piece of infrastructure and its effects, some of those others would be interesting to take note of as well.

post #91 of 700
Quote:

Well, I thought that since we were discussing a disaster with a major piece of infrastructure and its effects, some of those others would be interesting to take note of as well.

You mean no one's perfect so why hate on BP?
post #92 of 700
Quote:

Kinda. Maybe. It's just interesting to me that there are these others too. And yet...these haven't been used as arguments to eliminate public transport systems, bridges or public water systems, etc.

post #93 of 700
Quote:

IMHO...There is no reason to "hate" British Petroleum (BP) during this crisis; it did not plan this oil spill and based on the record of platform drilling in the gulf there is room to acknowledge this accident (if that it is what is was) as such and not attack BP as being somehow the villain here...
post #94 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

IMHO...There is no reason to "hate" British Petroleum (BP) during this crisis; it did not plan this oil spill and based on the record of platform drilling in the gulf there is room to acknowledge this accident (if that it is what is was) as such and not attack BP as being somehow the villain here...

You're not getting on board with the narrative. Let me help:

Oil evil.
Oil kills.
BP evil.
Oil industry evil.

This event proves all of that.

See, it's simple.

post #95 of 700
What's especially interesting in all of this is that BP, in their utter, unrelenting, unbounded greed for profit would have been deliberately negligent enough to do something that has caused about $430,000 (possibly up to $8,300,000) a day to pour into the gulf and go down the drain.

post #96 of 700
Quote:

What's especially interesting in all of this is that BP, in their utter, unrelenting, unbounded greed for profit would have been deliberately negligent enough to do something that has caused about $430,000 (possibly up to $8,300,000) a day to pour into the gulf and go down the drain.

You mean by lobbying Dick Cheney so that they wouldn't have to spend $500,000 per rig to equip them with acoustic shutoff valves and not investing in green technology, even going as far as to spend millions to make out global warming is a hoax, all the while trying to drill in as many places as they can? And whilst getting fat deals in Iraq and Afghanistan, so the people of those countries get less much less of the profits than they should have got?
post #97 of 700
Quote:

You mean by lobbying Dick Cheney so that they wouldn't have to spend $500,000 per rig to equip them with acoustic shutoff valves and not investing in green technology, even going as far as to spend millions to make out global warming is a hoax, all the while trying to drill in as many places as they can? And whilst getting fat deals in Iraq and Afghanistan, so the people of those countries get less much less of the profits than they should have got?

No, I mean doing something that they knew or suspected would cause about $430,000 (possibly up to $8,300,000) a day to pour into the gulf and go down the drain.

Doesn't it strike you the least bit odd that a company so greedy, in and industry so greedy would do anything that would a) cause them to lose massive amounts of money and give their opponents, critics and enemies something else to bitch about?

post #98 of 700
Quote:

You're not getting on board with the narrative. Let me help:

Oil evil.
Oil kills.
BP evil.
Oil industry evil.

This event proves all of that.

See, it's simple.

Not quite that simple and your "evil" definition needs research if you don't mind me saying... while the rest of the nation sympathizes with the Gulf during this accident, the rest of the nation goes about their daily struggle burning oil, more than likely to include BP oil, as part of our transportation infrastructure. There is no "evil" in oil and it certainly does not "kill" as suggested by your bombast. Even the president that now tours the Gulf does so in a presidential motorcade burning oil. More than likely even you arrived at work as a direct result of petroleum, so the hypocrisy is there. This accident only means more care, in the direction of greater security, needs be exercised on oil platforms when we return to drilling on behalf our our oil needs.

Quote:

...not investing in green technology...

Why would a petroleum industry be interested in "green" technology? It is an oil company!

Quote:

...even going as far as to spend millions to make out global warming is a hoax

Why is this relevant to conversation? The global warming lobby has itself revealed its shortcomings in the last year through shoddy research; no effort by BP is needed here...

Quote:

.. all the while trying to drill in as many places as they can?

That is what they are suppose to do for their investors. You do understand oil development, corporate profit, and investors don't you?

Quote:

...And whilst getting fat deals in Iraq and Afghanistan, so the people of those countries get less much less of the profits than they should have got?

Research BP in reference to named nations...
post #99 of 700
Quote:

Oil rigs are infrastructure?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #100 of 700
Quote:

Not quite that simple and your "evil" definition needs research if you don't mind me saying... while the rest of the nation sympathizes with the Gulf during this accident, the rest of the nation goes about their daily struggle burning oil, more than likely to include BP oil, as part of our transportation infrastructure. There is no "evil" in oil and it certainly does not "kill" as suggested by your bombast. Even the president that now tours the Gulf does so in a presidential motorcade burning oil. More than likely even you arrived at work as a direct result of petroleum, so the hypocrisy is there. This accident only means more care, in the direction of greater security, needs be exercised on oil platforms when we return to drilling on behalf our our oil needs.

I was being snarky.

post #101 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Oil rigs are infrastructure?

Hi Wormhole!

post #102 of 700
Quote:

No, I mean doing something that they knew or suspected would cause about $430,000 (possibly up to $8,300,000) a day to pour into the gulf and go down the drain.

Doesn't it strike you the least bit odd that a company so greedy, in and industry so greedy would do anything that would a) cause them to lose massive amounts f money and give their opponents, critics and enemies something else to bitch about?

They HOPED IT WOULD SAVE THEM MONEY and they were prepared to take the risk, that's who your defending.

"In early March the Economist noted "a round of efficiency measures and cost cuts" at BP "aimed at increasing annual profits by $3 billion over the next few of years."[1] -- On Friday, a Daily Kos blogger called attention to the failure of BP's well to use a standard device known as an "acoustic switch" to ensure against catastrophe.[2] -- The blogger cited an Apr. 28 Wall Street Journal article that reported that "two major oil-producing countries, Norway and Brazil, in effect require them. Norway has had acoustic triggers on almost every offshore rig since 1993."[3] -- "The U.S. considered requiring a remote-controlled shut-off mechanism several years ago, but drilling companies questioned its cost and effectiveness, according to the agency overseeing offshore drilling," said Russell Gold, Ben Casselman, and Guy Chazan. The agency, the Interior Department's Minerals Management Service, says it decided the remote device wasn't needed because rigs had other back-up plans to cut off a well."
~ http://www.ufppc.org/us-a-world-news...fety-item.html
post #103 of 700
Quote:

They HOPED IT WOULD SAVE THEM MONEY and they were prepared to take the risk

And apparently* they were wrong and now they will pay the price for this. If it is as you think is it, they took a risk and lost. If it is something different, then, we'll discuss that when we know the details.

*I say apparently because we don't actually know all of the details of the cause and/or how effective the measures you mentioned would have been here.

post #104 of 700
Quote:

Why would a petroleum industry be interested in "green" technology? It is an oil company!

Why is this relevant to conversation? The global warming lobby has itself revealed its shortcomings in the last year through shoddy research; no effort by BP is needed here...

That is what they are suppose to do for their investors. You do understand oil development, corporate profit, and investors don't you?

Research BP in reference to named nations...

LMAO. Oh and BP is investing in solar, it was ExxonMobil that pulled out of clean technologies, my bad.
post #105 of 700
Quote:

And apparently* they were wrong and now they will pay the price for this. If it is as you think is it, they took a risk and lost. If it is something different, then, we'll discuss that when we know the details.

*I say apparently because we don't actually know all of the details of the cause and/or how effective the measures you mentioned would have been here.

They took a risk and lost, exactly. Thanks Cheney and TeaBagger America, you're all Real Patriots
post #106 of 700
Quote:

They took a risk and lost, exactly.

Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you. It happens. And they will pay for this. That's how it should be.

post #107 of 700
BP: Oil rig leak 'wasn't our accident':

Quote:
Hayward added that the failure of the rig's "blow-out preventer" a device that should have shut off the well when the rig exploded and sank was "unprecedented in our industry."

"What has failed here is the ultimate safety device on a drilling rig," he said. "There are many barriers of protection that you have to go to before you get to this. It isn't designed to not fail."

post #108 of 700
Offshore drilling is done.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #109 of 700
Quote:

Thank goodness if true.

The Governator has pulled new drilling in California. Good call, but tough for a Repub due to their base.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #110 of 700
Quote:

Probably not. But thanks for playing.

post #111 of 700
Quote:

Probably not. But thanks for playing.

Obama will change direction, you watch.
post #112 of 700
Quote:

Obama will change direction, you watch.

Oh I 'm sure.

post #113 of 700
Quote:

Oh I 'm sure.

You just said he wouldn't
post #114 of 700
Quote:

You just said he wouldn't

Let's just say I'm skeptical about that Hopey Changey thing really being all that Hopey and Changey.

post #115 of 700
Quote:

Let's just say I'm skeptical about that Hopey Changey thing really being all that Hopey and Changey.

So no more he's a Commie Muslim?
post #116 of 700
Quote:

So no more he's a Commie Muslim?

Are you claiming I said he was a Commie Muslim? Please link to the post.

post #117 of 700
Quote:

Are you claiming I said he was a Commie Muslim? Please link to the post.

Not you specifically maybe but it's the rights mantra these days, which always strikes me as extremely ironic. Did they think that Bush was a Commie Muslim?....er No. It makes the right look as stupid as they actually are though, which is great, keeps them out of office for longer.

Lol. The latest nonsense from repubs-

Michael Brown of heckuvajob Brownie fame has said that "Obama waited for the spill to worsen in order to turn public opinion against offshore drilling" according to HuffPo. The audacity of incompetence!
post #118 of 700
Quote:

Why? Because of a single accidental oil release? What do you propose to ship to millions of gas stations in the nation so the country's citizens can get to work? $5 gasoline will decimate our struggling economy... you want to compare that with a few oil covered pelicans? Offshore drilling is one way to harvest this nation's petroleum and eliminating it so a few pony-tail eco-Greenpeace druggies can feel good about Gulf flora and fauna makes no sense in the national strategy...

Quote:

Not you specifically maybe but it's the rights mantra these days...

It is hard to accept the "commie" castigation from liberals in the shadow of Barack's clear socialist record... pay attention to your hero's socialist agenda before hurling "commie" charges at the GOP...
post #119 of 700
Quote:

Yea 'cause most oil spills come from tankers and with less off shore drilling in the US there will be more oil going by ship and more oil spills. Killer logic you have.

I think the racists attitude of the anti-drilling folks is amazing. You'd rather the poor counties full of "those people" do the drilling and deal with the oil spills but your country is so fantastic and your environmental ethics so high that drilling is unthinkable in your own waters. Shame on you!
post #120 of 700
Quote:

Not you specifically maybe but it's the rights mantra these days, which always strikes me as extremely ironic. Did they think that Bush was a Commie Muslim?....er No. It makes the right look as stupid as they actually are though, which is great, keeps them out of office for longer.

Lol. The latest nonsense from repubs-

Michael Brown of heckuvajob Brownie fame has said that "Obama waited for the spill to worsen in order to turn public opinion against offshore drilling" according to HuffPo. The audacity of incompetence!

Or you could just talk directly to me and my comments rather than past me to whatever you think someone else, somewhere else is saying.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez