or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple Stores will close from 4-5 p.m. to prepare for iPad 3G launch

Apple Stores will close from 4-5 p.m. to prepare for iPad 3G launch

post #1 of 58
All of Apple's U.S. retail stores will close for an hour today, between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time, in order to prepare for the official launch of the iPad 3G.

Apple updated all of its domestic retail store hours this week to note that locations will be closed for an hour on Friday "to prepare for the arrival of iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G." The product is set to launch at 5 p.m. local time.

The launch is different from the one earlier this month for the Wi-Fi-only model, which occurred on a Saturday. For that launch, stores began selling the iPad at 9 a.m. and UPS had special Saturday delivery for those who preordered online.

On Thursday, those who preordered the iPad with 3G began receiving notifications that their order had shipped. For this delivery, Apple has employed FedEx, and users should be receiving their 3G models today.

The 3G iPad models carry a $130 premium over their Wi-Fi-only counterparts. The 16GB model starts at $629, the 32GB capacity is $729, and the high-end 64GB offering is $829.
post #2 of 58
I still don't understand why Apple keep calling it "3G+WiFi" and not just "3G". I know because it have 3G and WiFi but isn't that obvious when you say 3G?! It is just unnecessary.
post #3 of 58
Can't wait to see how much worse my ÅT&T signal will get with all these iPad users on the network. Contract is up in a couple of months thankfully
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I still don't understand why Apple keep calling it "3G+WiFi" and not just "3G". I know because it have 3G and WiFi but isn't that obvious when you say 3G?! It is just unnecessary.

Many 3G phones don't have WiFi. I think it helps clarify that both networking options are available.
post #5 of 58
Quote:

I would think so, but I know I've read and responded to more than a few posters on this forum who were initial upset that the iPad 3G didn't have WiFi.

Though if Apple is trying to be clear why not add GPS in there, too, as I'm sure more people are unaware that GPS only comes with the 3G.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 58
I'm waiting for the HP Slate. Ballmer says it's killer!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would think so, but I know I've read and responded to more than a few posters on this forum who were initial upset that the iPad 3G didn't have WiFi.

Though if Apple is trying to be clear why not add GPS in there, too, as I'm sure more people are unaware that GPS only comes with the 3G.

I think this is important. Initially I thought the same thing. It wasn't until I read the specs that I was aware of this. What made it worst was the "Only 3G+WiFi", which cause many to think they meant both models.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeru View Post

Many 3G phones don't have WiFi. I think it helps clarify that both networking options are available.

Well, the iPad does have WiFi and it is not called "iPad WiFi". I think it could be that Apple is thinking of dropping the WiFi only model in the future and replace it with 3G. Maybe..
post #9 of 58
Quote:

I think this is important. Initially I thought the same thing. It wasn't until I read the specs that I was aware of this. What made it worst was the "Only 3G+WiFi", which cause many to think they meant both models.

Yeah, that did need a second read to understand what Apple was getting at.

They list the follow specs which make sense in that regard:
Wireless and cellular
Wi-Fi model
• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
• Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model
• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
• Data only
• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

But then they this info just below it where they repeat much of the same data:
• Digital compass
• Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
• Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

My suggestion is to include the location section with the other two:
Wireless, cellular and location
Wi-Fi model
• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
• Digital compass

Wi-Fi + 3G model
• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
• Digital compass
• Assisted GPS
• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
• Data only

For those unaware what we're discussing, check out the left column data: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
post #10 of 58
3G+Wi-Fi is showing up today sometime via FedEx. I'm excited because I can actually use it on the road now....just didn't realize how much I've relied on 3G with the iPhone.

Wi-Fi is great at home or work, but travelling bites without being able to get online just about anywhere- Wife is happily/greedily taking Wi-Fi one purchased at the original release.

I'm wondering as well if the new one will have an updated firmware to fix Wi-Fi issues...I've seen the connection problems repeatedly. Great signal...No signal...Great signal...No signal. Worked on all the fixes with router, etc., but am still seeing issues.
post #11 of 58
So I don't get why the stores need to close. It's not like this is a brand new product or anything. An hour to put a sign or two up??? I'm sure all the people who are going to be asked to leave the store are going to be thrilled...
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So I don't get why the stores need to close. It's not like this is a brand new product or anything. An hour to put a sign or two up??? I'm sure all the people who are going to be asked to leave the store are going to be thrilled...

It's not required but I can think of several reasons for it.
  1. It helps create anticpation, just like with the Apple Stores going down. Even if the online store goes down on a Sat night/Sun morning for routine maintence you'll still see articles about it.
  2. Allows the staff to get a little breather from customers before they get bombarded for the rest of the night.
  3. It allows managment to train everyone at the same time on the features and talking points of the 3G model. Make no mistake, Apple CSRs are less aware of new Apple Products than we are on tech forums.
  4. It's more than just the signs, they also have to put out a few 3G iPads which I imagine is easier if there isn't a bunch of customer crowding around you while you're doing it. Sure, it'll just use WiFI, but the A-GPS should work and the look is a little different so it needs to be put out.
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ooh! Ooh! What about the Microsoft Courier? I hear it's a spectacular piece of vaporware. Hmmm... "vaporware"... I bet that means it's powered with a hydrogen fuel cell!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 58
iPad 3G just arrived! FedEx guy said "We've got trucks full of them."
post #15 of 58
Quote:

Duck -- there is an airbourne chair coming your way.
post #16 of 58
Quote:

In a few words:
Marketing
Preparation
Set-Up
Training
Breaks

As a former retailer:
Clearly, you've never worked in a retail environment. You sound like the customer who comes in and doesn't understand why every employee is with another customer, or why you have to wait to be seen at the Genius Bar. The world doesn't revolve around you - and retail stores don't either. The people working hard to sell and merchandise items are people and they work damn hard at what they do. Show some patience, understanding, and compassion and it'll get you so much further than complaining or 'wanting to speak to a manager.' Rant over.
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ooh! Ooh! What about the Microsoft Courier? I hear it's a spectacular piece of vaporware. Hmmm... "vaporware"... I bet that means it's powered with a hydrogen fuel cell!

... actually, as someone else noted on here in another thread, the Slate is now shelved for a while. Apparently, and who would have guessed, Win 7 is not the best operating system for this type of device and Intel processor is a power hog.

Once they finish tinkering with their new $1.2 billion toy, HP "might" release a Slate with WebOS. Of course they'll have to find a new chip set to work with it... hmmmm... I'm guessing early 2012... and that will be the demo.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #18 of 58
They better put out better security and use plain bags with no drawstrings, you think all the strong arm robberies for the Wifi iPad was bad... the rich can afford the 3G+Wifi models and usually carry more than just pocket change and a debit card.

New 16GB Wifi iPads were selling for $1000 on eBay, only imagine what the 3G models will get.
post #19 of 58
Quote:

Allows the staff to get a little breather from customers before they get bombarded for the rest of the night.

yep. they cut all training and tech after 4pm. but it's hard to get folks to leave if the store is open. so 'sorry we are closed you have to leave' is easier

plus they likely have staff that need to have a meal break.

Quote:
Make no mistake, Apple CSRs are less aware of new Apple Products than we are on tech forums.

I suspect you are the one making the mistake. they very likely receive tons of information about all the products via videos, text documents etc. they just perhaps haven't had a chance to put finger to the steps. or perhaps they have. who knows if there's a 3g that's under lock and key in an office behind those doors.

Quote:
It's more than just the signs, they also have to put out a few 3G iPads

well they don't HAVE to do anything, but yes, as you point out they will probably want to show off the GPS etc and likely will put at 3-4 3g models. And since they have apps and such on them, if those demos aren't sent set up they'd have to do that also. that's another 5-10 minutes of set up. and they probably wouldn't be able to open any boxes until 4pm.

Quote:
which I imagine is easier if there isn't a bunch of customer crowding around you while you're doing it.

having been in the store when someone was trying to replace a broken demo phone when the store was open I can say that it's more than a 5 minute task. Plus it looked like they had to shut off the alarms for half if not the whole table (which was why they had two extra staff at the table as security). so yeah, don't want to do that with the doors open if they can help it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 58
Quote:

I called the store a few hours ago and they actually suggested I get there at 4pm to avoid a crowd. They probably didn't even know the store was closing until very recently....
post #21 of 58
Here's a question... Apple's description of the plans says this:

Quote:
You sign up for 3G service right on your iPad. And you can monitor your data usage and change your plan at any time, including switching to unlimited data or canceling 3G service if you know you won't need it.

Does this mean you could sign up, use it for 2 hours, then cancel, then only pay for a fraction of the plan... or do you pay for the full month regardless of the total time used?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 58
Mine was delivered an hour ago... just about finished restore & synch from my WiFi backup

Whee!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect you are the one making the mistake. they very likely receive tons of information about all the products via videos, text documents etc. they just perhaps haven't had a chance to put finger to the steps. or perhaps they have. who knows if there's a 3g that's under lock and key in an office behind those doors.

Had an interesting experience at my local Apple store the other day. I went in to buy an iPhone gift card for a friend's birthday and proceeded to ask if the recipient of the card could use it on any iPhone including the new one presumably coming out in June/July. What surprised me was the knee-jerk reaction the CSR had to my comment about the new phone. He instantly correct me with a big "IF". I just gave him a "sure, whatever you say" nod. Point is, they definitely receive information (product and otherwise) as is seen fit by corporate. In this instance, the CSR seemed (obviously) motivated to minimize backlash on existing 3GS sales.
post #24 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, that did need a second read to understand what Apple was getting at.

They list the follow specs which make sense in that regard:
Wireless and cellular
Wi-Fi model
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

But then they this info just below it where they repeat much of the same data:
Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

My suggestion is to include the location section with the other two:
Wireless, cellular and location
Wi-Fi model
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Digital compass

Wi-Fi + 3G model
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Digital compass
Assisted GPS
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only

For those unaware what we're discussing, check out the left column data: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Except my WiFi only iPad has more accurate GPS (without the GPS chip) than my iPhone 3GS (with the GPS chip)?

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except my WiFi only iPad has more accurate GPS (without the GPS chip) than my iPhone 3GS (with the GPS chip)?

It's possible for your 3GS' GPS not to be working right and it's possible for a WIFi only device to place your location exactly where you are, but it's impossible for a WiFi-only device to have GPS.
post #26 of 58
Quote:

... actually, as someone else noted on here in another thread, the Slate is now shelved for a while. Apparently, and who would have guessed, Win 7 is not the best operating system for this type of device and Intel processor is a power hog.

Once they finish tinkering with their new $1.2 billion toy, HP "might" release a Slate with WebOS. Of course they'll have to find a new chip set to work with it... hmmmm... I'm guessing early 2012... and that will be the demo.

Actually, they could use an aARM chip similar to what they use in the Pre... maybe even a faster version or one with more CPUs than in the iPad. AIR, these upgraded ARM chips will be available in quantity before year end.

If so, this could be a great opening/opportunity for an HPalm Slate.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #27 of 58
I spoke to a couple of ACSRs yesterday to find out if I could reserve or pre-pay for an iPad 3G to pick it up today. They very politely and patiently told me no, that I would just have to come by and try my luck at the launch. They then divulged that the payment areas were to be re-arranged, with a separate section just for iPad 3G sales. Hoping that means I won't have to wait in line too long, planning to get there around 4PM.

In the words of Ed Wynn, "I'm tho exthited!"
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #28 of 58
Just to clear things up, the WIFI iPad DOES have GPS functionality, relying on satellites to get the GPS information

The difference is the GPS in the iPad + 3G also has assisted GPS, which uses cell tower locations to determine location. This can be more reliable, especially in buildings and during bad weather. Obviously a 3G radio is required in the device for it to work.
post #29 of 58
In line at the Natick, MA Apple Store and I am the 5th person in line.
post #30 of 58
Just got my iPad 3G from the Fed Ex driver, he said he had already delivered about 40 today and they had about 1000 for delivery from his depot... MASSIVE!
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, they could use an aARM chip similar to what they use in the Pre... maybe even a faster version or one with more CPUs than in the iPad. AIR, these upgraded ARM chips will be available in quantity before year end.

If so, this could be a great opening/opportunity for an HPalm Slate.

I think a WebOS tablet on ARM is what HP has in mine. A desktop OS on an Atom CPU simply won't cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Just to clear things up, the WIFI iPad DOES have GPS functionality, relying on satellites to get the GPS information

The difference is the GPS in the iPad + 3G also has assisted GPS, which uses cell tower locations to determine location. This can be more reliable, especially in buildings and during bad weather. Obviously a 3G radio is required in the device for it to work.

Check the link I posted earlier, there nt any GPS chip listed in the specs and nothing shown on the WiFi tearfown.
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

No it does not have GPS functionality. In order to get a signal from the satellite, it needs to have a GPS antenna and a GPS receiver chip.
The wifi only iPad does not have either of these.
It relies on SkyHook information over wifi (not GPS) for location services.
Quote:
The difference is the GPS in the iPad + 3G also has assisted GPS, which uses cell tower locations to determine location.

No, the difference is the wifi + 3g iPad has GPS and the wifi only iPad does not have GPS.
It can use the router coordinates (from SkyHook) to show you location, same as the iPod touch but it is notGPS.
post #33 of 58
I went to the store early and they were already getting ready to organize a line for the afternoon. I am going tonight to buy 32g 3g. I went there early to check on ipad case inventory. There were only 3 left. The guy said that they had some more in the back for tonights launch but recomended i would buy now because they were going to be extremely short on the cases. I cant wait til tonight!!!!
post #34 of 58
Quote:

U didn't hear? Slate is going to be on hold due to HP acquirement of Palm. Sorry bruh!!!
post #35 of 58
Hi everyone my Ipad 3G got here at 11:15am and here is the unboxing video to share with everyone.

Hope you enjoy it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLBp_1pzTk
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Had an interesting experience at my local Apple store the other day. I went in to buy an iPhone gift card for a friend's birthday and proceeded to ask if the recipient of the card could use it on any iPhone including the new one presumably coming out in June/July. What surprised me was the knee-jerk reaction the CSR had to my comment about the new phone. He instantly correct me with a big "IF". I just gave him a "sure, whatever you say" nod. Point is, they definitely receive information (product and otherwise) as is seen fit by corporate. In this instance, the CSR seemed (obviously) motivated to minimize backlash on existing 3GS sales.

You are sorely mistaken if you think the retail store employees get ANY advance information on new products. They FLAT OUT do not. The employees are not allowed to talk or speculate about unreleased products and this is likely exactly what he was trying to avoid doing.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Can't wait to see how much worse my ÅT&T signal will get with all these iPad users on the network. Contract is up in a couple of months thankfully

(Ignoring the sky-is-falling tone.) The additional 3G load from the iPad will be minimal.

3G requires a prepaid subscription for use and some (many?) might not even pay for 3G except as needed, a trip for example) I expect many will primarily use the 3G version with wifi connectivity and use 3G much less often. Remember, the iPad is not as portable as an iPhone (doesn't fit in a pocket obviously) and isn't going to taken to as many places or as often as 3G phones.
post #38 of 58
Quote:

A desktop OS on an Atom CPU simply won't cut it.

Why not? Millions of happy netbook owners use Win7 on an Atom N450 - to watch Flash videos, no less.
post #39 of 58
As an Apple admirer this is good news. As a FedEx employee even better
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyMiNd04 View Post

In line at the Natick, MA Apple Store and I am the 5th person in line.

After waiting in line for 3 hours, my purchase was almost denied.

I picked out the 64GB 3G model with a case and told the Apple rep that I was paying in cash. He said that the Apple HQ demanded that ALL iPad purchases must be paid for with a credit/debit card, NOT EVEN an Apple Gift Card. I nearly freaked out... If this is the case, Apple should have that on their website as a SHOUT OUT to future buyers. After I almost left the store, I told an associate what happened and he said he would make an exception for me. I was SO happy.

BE PREPARED TO BRING YOUR CREDIT CARDS if you are buying in the store.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple Stores will close from 4-5 p.m. to prepare for iPad 3G launch