or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Kraft Foods adds new support for employees choosing Macs

Kraft Foods adds new support for employees choosing Macs - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Based on the article each employee who decide to use his own Mac must do his own support. I think the IT people couldn't be much happier.

They will still need IT. I can only imagine how many people asking "how do I print" even though we know how easy Apple makes it to add a printer.

Reminds me of the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Some want to fix their own bike and others do not.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

They will still need IT. I can only imagine how many people asking "how do I print" even though we know how easy Apple makes it to add a printer.

Reminds me of the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Some want to fix their own bike and others do not.

Mention of Persig's book gives one pause to think. Too much actually. The author was able to fix his motorcycle when he pushed it too hard. In the second half of the book, he himself broke down. That was a whole different matter.

Good read, anyway.
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorrowQc View Post

That would certainly keep the IT department busy...
Big challenges ahead!

Not really. I use a my macbookpro with 10.6 and an iPhone in a company that exclusively uses Windows/exchange. I hook up to the intranet, mail, calender, shared drives and printers. IT has no challenge at all, actually it was easier than when I watch new people struggle with their issued HP/blackberry combos.

As with Kraft's request though, I have skills.

The only problem is how glum the others are watching me have it easy.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Is it just me, or does this sound like a way to get the employees to pay for their own computers? I got the distinct impression from the article that the Mac users were buying their own computers (in addition to providing their own tech support).

"Kraft Foods helps pay for the costs with a stipend."
post #85 of 86
News some time in the future...

"Kraft corporate network gets infected by virus and trojans from laptops that users take home and run P2P software with."

Not a good idea to mix company laptops with personal home use.
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Is it just me, or does this sound like a way to get the employees to pay for their own computers? I got the distinct impression from the article that the Mac users were buying their own computers (in addition to providing their own tech support).

It is not that the employees will pay for their own machines there is to be compensation for the purchase but as of yet the amount and frequency are unknown.
The tech support is moving to a self service model. This is evolving and not fully determined as of yet.
Like most companies the tech support is currently done mostly "off shore". For me doing it myself has to be easier then the pain of the language and culture confusion.
The folks are well trained but the communication is difficult. There is a difference between speaking English and understanding American communication especially when one is frustrated with a problem on their system.
It is a good program and there is good effort behind it. It will evolve to succsess.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Kraft Foods adds new support for employees choosing Macs