or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android users not upgrading their OS to the latest version
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android users not upgrading their OS to the latest version - Page 3

post #81 of 142
My HTC Hero is stuck with 1.5 still. Annoying. Got it at the beginning of December with an update promised in the near future.

Currently it's set to be in June - and that's if it is provided by the network operator. Gah! At least it is meant to be Android 2.1.
post #82 of 142
Reminds me of windows mobile:
Many people stuck with the 6.1 rom on the TP2 from Sprint, even after 6.5 came out.
Many custom roms are 6.5.5 or 6.5.3 but many people still prefer 6.5...


At least for us, it's about choice.
post #83 of 142
If the Android OS wasn't so buggy in the earlier versions then a majority of the users wouldn't care to upgrade to another version. Many people buy the smart phones for 3 things (i.e. phone calls, texts, and rich formatted emails). If those things work well enough then they aren't looking for fixes or OS updates.

I regret upgrading my Blackberry. Ever since the newer OS has been buggy. My next phone will be the gen 4 iPhone. Here's hoping Verizon or T-Mobile get the iPhone come June.
post #84 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Hate to break it to you but there is porn that works on the iPhone.
A simple google search turns up http://m.pornhub.com/ which does work on the iPhone.

OK, the porn joke i made has gone far enough.
I was just trying to illustrate the fact that apple controls each and ever application allowed on the iPhone, while on Android that control is with the end user.

You can justify in any way you like but the fact is Apple is your daddy and controls what you can do.
post #85 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Are not there any Android (Google, HTC, Samsung, etc.) websites? Why do you 'haters' gather on an Apple fan site to shit your mouth out?

You see i don't even know if there are such websites. I don't go there and do not post crap about Android or hardware.

P.S. I bet Apple 'lovers' don't shit themselves out on Android/Manufacturers forums. You know what it means. You all are just jealous. STFU.


http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://androidandme.com/
http://phandroid.com/

We have our web sites, thank you.
The thing is this story is treated like real news, when in fact it is spin from Apple fan boys.

And yes, there are plenty of iPhone fans coming to our web sites talking crap about Flash and Android.
post #86 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If the Android OS wasn't so buggy in the earlier versions then a majority of the users wouldn't care to upgrade to another version. Many people buy the smart phones for 3 things (i.e. phone calls, texts, and rich formatted emails). If those things work well enough then they aren't looking for fixes or OS updates.

I regret upgrading my Blackberry. Ever since the newer OS has been buggy. My next phone will be the gen 4 iPhone. Here's hoping Verizon or T-Mobile get the iPhone come June.

I have had my G1 since November 08. What bugs do you speak of?
I don't recall anything game breaking back then.
post #87 of 142
There is the case that we are prisoners of our space and time -- we may not be able to comprehend things, ideas and possibilities beyond what we can infer from our experiences and surroundings further limited by the time we live in.

The origin perhaps of the vitriol is the "belief" of a number of people that for ones perspective to be true or right, those presenting a different point of view must be incorrect or wrong.

In reality, if we look deeper into the reality and lessons of "nature", we will find that ecosystem is a study of contrast and diversity.

And, when we study history, and the evolution of ideas, what is sometimes the dogma (the popular beliefs, common sense, etc.) of the time may be deunked by the ideas of coming from a single individual or minority.

Add all these and you will understand the titanic clash of the Apple and the Wintel group. Add to this now, the variants.

Then I remember:

This too shall pass away.

Our time in this world is just a blimp in the infinite of time. And I despair why we waste so much of our precious and finite time "hating and destroying" each other -- rather than try to understand each other, to learn from each other.


CGC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

Oh yea, thanks for painting all Android users with a broad and insulting brush. You once again prove the prejudice that Apple users are elitist, self righteous, closed minded jerks too be completely false. You sir are a tribute to the Apple community, A community... i might add i was once a part of, Duel core G4 tower FTW!

At least back then the false belief i had that Apple had superior software AND HARDWARE could be justified by the fact that they actually used DIFFERENT HARDWARE.
Things are much clearer now.

Did you happen to see this?
http://www.fastcompany.com/1630554/a...mobile-web-use

have a nice day
post #88 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Tethering in the USA on Android is FREE. ..

Tethering everywhere except the USA on iPhone is FREE.
post #89 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

OK, the porn joke i made has gone far enough.
I was just trying to illustrate the fact that apple controls each and ever application allowed on the iPhone, while on Android that control is with the end user.

You can justify in any way you like but the fact is Apple is your daddy and controls what you can do.

I've never understood what you windoze people mean by "Apple controlling our lives". No one forces you to "buy Apple" .. that's a choice we're all free to make ... or not. Do you miss having a refridgerator with "no choices" ? ... a radio ? an electric razor ? .... no, you buy something because it fits the bill, or at least that's how you're supposed to do it. If Apple doesn't work for you ... so what? ... Apple is not for everybody ... get over it. This constant whinning about how "Apple is mean for not making exactly what you want" just tells me you want what you chose to be like Apple ..... but you don't want it to be Apple .... it aint gonna happen .... move on.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #90 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://androidandme.com/
http://phandroid.com/

We have our web sites, thank you.
The thing is this story is treated like real news, when in fact it is spin from Apple fan boys.

And yes, there are plenty of iPhone fans coming to our web sites talking crap about Flash and Android.

Too bad for those iPhone guys on Android forums. No self respect i guess.

What is the point? Only time will tell.
Any way there will not be only one platform left on the market. As of any mature industry there are 3,4 or 5 main competitors.

P.S. I do not believe Apple itself ever planned for iPhone to be the only/best smartphone on the market. It just doesn't feet in with what Apple has been doing since the early days.

P.P.S. All must agree that iPhone had made it as a "game changer" and therefore should have some credibility.
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #91 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I've never understood what you windoze people mean by "Apple controlling our lives". No one forces you to "buy Apple" .. that's a choice we're all free to make ... or not. Do you miss having a refridgerator with "no choices" ? ... a radio ? an electric razor ? .... no, you buy something because it fits the bill, or at least that's how you're supposed to do it. If Apple doesn't work for you ... so what? ... Apple is not for everybody ... get over it. This constant whinning about how "Apple is mean for not making exactly what you want" just tells me you want what you chose to be like Apple ..... but you don't want it to be Apple .... it aint gonna happen .... move on.

Totally right.

Apple 'controls' what i can do? But it was always my personal choice (yep i know some businesses now force you to have an iphone/mac, but you are allowed to have another phone of your choice ). And i agree with the way Apple limits me, i mean the way they do it does not limit me personally.

1) Flash is the biggest - i don't watch movies on my iphone, i have 30" monitor for this...actually i have 65" plasma to do that...you know pc is for work mostly.

2) apps? - in my case out of 100k on app store i have found everything i wish for in my pocket. Sometimes they cost around 10 $, but you know photoshop is 700 ...so its not this big a deal.

3)etc. etc. etc.

4) the porn joke - ANYBODY WATCHES PORN ON THE GO?????????????????????????????????????????

You buy Apple because you chose to "controlled" this way. You don't wan to be "controlled" in Apples way. Don't buy Apple. Easy.
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #92 of 142
So many people name calling and arguing here over a matter of opinion. LOL...

I didn't need to read past the first page to see how worthless and pointless this all is.

Why is it so hard for people to just let other people do what they want and believe what they want as long as they're not hurting anyone, killing kittens, etc.? I mean, it's a freakin' phone fer chrissake!

If you don't like the way the iPhone works, I have a news flash... you don't have to buy one!!! If you don't like AT&T's service don't buy a phone that uses their service!!! If you don't like how Android phones work, well, guess what? Buy something else!!! No one is holding a gun to anyone's head here... so why do people claim that Apple is a monopoly and forcing people to buy iPhones instead of anything else? Get a clue people...

So sad... doesn't anyone have anything better to do than insult people who don't have the same opinion and call them names?
post #93 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you've watched porn on your iPhone, have dirty pictures on your iPhone, browse porn websites on your iPhone and can stream HTML5 porn video on your iPhone, then what's the porn advantage of Android, then? Porn Apps?

All that porn on the iPhone is not enough for you? You need porn apps too? And access to those porn apps is enough of a reason not to choose the obviously better OS?

well said...
post #94 of 142
My parents have Blackberry Curves and I have stopped updating those to the latest firmware, specifically because the install and reboot process has taken nearly an hour and a half with each update on each phone. The device just sits there with a spinning hourglass.

What is worse is that on Blackberry user forums, I see people asking "why does this update take so long?" or "after update I have an hourglass for more than 45 minutes" posts, yet the only answer is...

"the blackberry OS, unlike other mobile phone OS's, is so secure. look at other phones, they boot in 2 or less minutes. BBs go thru a lot of security runs before starting up after a software update".

My folks next phones will be iPhone 4th Gens.
post #95 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

You buy Apple because you chose to "controlled" this way. You don't wan to be "controlled" in Apples way. Don't buy Apple. Easy.


I wouldn't say that I, personally, chose to buy an Apple product because of how it is "controlled", but because of how "integrated" it is with all of the other Apple products.

I would probably like Microsoft products if they had any sort of real integration, but it always seems to be a loosely connected series of software on their end.
post #96 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://androidandme.com/
http://phandroid.com/

We have our web sites, thank you.
The thing is this story is treated like real news, when in fact it is spin from Apple fan boys.

And yes, there are plenty of iPhone fans coming to our web sites talking crap about Flash and Android.

Huh. Took a quick look and couldn't find any iPhone partisans carrying on. Maybe iPhone users actually don't particularly care what Android users are up to? Unlike, I dunno, you?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #97 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41
Oh yea, thanks for painting all Android users with a broad and insulting brush. You once again prove the prejudice that Apple users are elitist, self righteous, closed minded jerks too be completely false. You sir are a tribute to the Apple community, A community... i might add i was once a part of, Duel core G4 tower FTW!

At least back then the false belief i had that Apple had superior software AND HARDWARE could be justified by the fact that they actually used DIFFERENT HARDWARE.
Things are much clearer now.

Did you happen to see this?
http://www.fastcompany.com/1630554/a...mobile-web-use

have a nice day

Huh. Or I guess I might assume that you've "proven" that Android users are thin skinned little bitches that squeal like pigs if anyone disses their choice of hardware? And feel obliged to patrol the web to make sure no one does so without being taken to task? Like I mention above, your characterization of Android sites having their fair share of Apple using trolls appears to be false. So perhaps that proves that Android users are pathological liars?

Or perhaps individuals on the internets say silly things, and hardware choices do not, in fact, say anything significant about character-- a fundamentally insane idea, if you think about it for a moment. Hey! Android users are insane! Have a nicer day.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #98 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

I wouldn't say that I, personally, chose to buy an Apple product because of how it is "controlled", but because of how "integrated" it is with all of the other Apple products.

I would probably like Microsoft products if they had any sort of real integration, but it always seems to be a loosely connected series of software on their end.

Integration is simply a different story, if you have never used Apple you just would not be able to understand what integration really means for you.
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #99 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Did you ever consider purchasing a used Sprint phone on eBay to use for a phone and just using the iPod Touch for everything else? That is what I am doing with Verizon as I couldn't afford the AT&T plan either. If you dislike it as much as you say, you should seriously consider selling yours and buying a used dumbphone. You might even make a few dollars on the deal.

Yeah, I have thought about it a lot. I'm trying to wait for the Android update because it supposedly will fix a lot of the problems the Hero has now...but the update has been pushed back over and over again.

I'm kind of afraid to sell it on eBay because, as my post said, the phone is so f-ed up that I think whoever bought it would leave me negative feedback. Selling it locally over craigslist is most likely, then I can tell the person up front - look the phone has problems and that's just how the phone is - it's not abnormal, etc. But then who is going to want to buy it?
post #100 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Wow. What a fundmental flaw to the whole model. There is all this complaining about apples control, but it looks like Android, under this model is out of control.

.


Nicely stated! As of now, it's a "pick your poison" situation.

Let's hope that things get under control with 2.2. ISTM that the OS needs to be robust enough to handle most hardware variations without any heavy lifting by the user. And it needs some kind of consistent hook for the device manufacturer's UI and special buttons, if any.

I kind of understand that the first few devices might not support new OS stuff. But I also think at this point, that selling older-OS devices that can't be upgraded needs to be handled like the old days when they sold '386 and '486 machines at the same time - it needs to be made clear that people are buying last year's tech.
post #101 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMan View Post

Reality check. I would guess that for people who want "choice" it is the underlying principle that seems to count. In reality that means that they would want apps that are politically, morally, or technically questionable (in the eyes of some - granted, likely including my eyes). In reality that also means that you have access to a couple of thousand apps that Apple does not want, BUT you miss a 100 000 apps that Apple currently has over the Android, PLUS their regular upgrade system (both of app and OS). Some choice.

I think that the real reality check is that you get all the standard great apps that come from big companies. They are made for both the iPhone and for Android.

In addition, you get all the great Google apps.

And all the apps which are otherwise outlawed on the iPhone.

The other 100,000 in the App Store are mostly, likely with some exceptions, easy to miss.
post #102 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

I have had my G1 since November 08. What bugs do you speak of?
I don't recall anything game breaking back then.

Here you go: http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14572

You'll find a bunch doing a Google search.
post #103 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm surprised that this article doesn't delve into Android v2.2 (aka Froyo) and how it attempts to tackle fragmentation.

What is Froyo doing to tackle fragmentation?
post #104 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That's funny enough, but the REALLY funny part is going to come this summer (assuming that Adobe finally releases Flash 10.1 which requires AndroidOS 2.2). All those people using Android phones are going to be wondering why their phone won't run Flash when Google and Adobe say it can.

I don't think that most people (and especially not "all those people") are stupid. I also think that when most people buy the older-model phones with the lower tech, they expect less in the way of updates.

Kind of like people who are right now buying a 3G iPhone. They too will be unable to update the OS, but hopefully, they are aware of that.
post #105 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Now to your points about Andriod. You say people that are stuck on earlier Android OS's can just upgrade their phones. Should they have to?

It is the same situation with people who have old iPhones. They can either upgrade or use older OS versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Also, many of these people probably don't know they are using old OS's and need to upgrade. I doubt the phone shops tell them. They will just say, "Look at this great phone, it runs Android." Remember, many of the phones running the 1.x iterations are still being sold.

ISTM that is a problem in the phone stores, and not with the platform. People now buying 3G iPhones, for example, should be told that Apple is coming out with a new iPhone 4.0 with a new OS that will not be able to be installed on the 3G.

Is Apple telling that to people? The people buying devices with 1.x versions of Android should be told the same thing.

Quote:
I agree with you on the Apps. Once you get to a certain number, it just doesn't matter anymore.

Apple may be playing catchup on a few "features", but as an overall experience, I would think, Apple is a mile ahead of the field.


I'm not sure ahead or behind is appropriate to describe the overall experience. They are different.

iPhone is a luxury-goods sort of a user experience, with pampering and a protective nature, while Android is a cool little pocket computer that you use for whatever you want.

Some people like to go to a little place in the mountains and sample local food and culture, while others like to go to Club Med and be taken care of.

Neither experience is ahead or behind. They are different.
post #106 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm surprised that this article doesn't delve into Android v2.2 (aka Froyo) and how it attempts to tackle fragmentation.

It's no use closing the stable door once the horse has bolted.

Stupid Google should have kept things a little more controlled to start with.

The way they are doing it now will either confuse or piss off consumers. They've just succeeded in doing what Microsoft did with the desktop platform (only sooner, and less market share at the end).

To be brutally honest, consumers don't care about Android at all, I think it will be forever a "geek mobile OS", I've seen maybe 8 Android devices in the wild in the 1+ years since they've been on the market.
post #107 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It is the same situation with people who have old iPhones. They can either upgrade or use older OS versions.

You don't have to jump through hoops to upgrade a 1 year old iPhone (unlike some Android phones).

Quote:
iPhone is a luxury-goods sort of a user experience, with pampering and a protective nature, while Android is a cool little pocket computer that you use for whatever you want.

Except by your descriptions, nobody wants the "cool little pocket computer". Hardly fits the definition of cool really. Seeing as nearly everyone wants/has an iphone.
post #108 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If the Android OS wasn't so buggy in the earlier versions then a majority of the users wouldn't care to upgrade to another version. Many people buy the smart phones for 3 things (i.e. phone calls, texts, and rich formatted emails). If those things work well enough then they aren't looking for fixes or OS updates.

ROTFLMAO.

So when arguing about Android, being able to upgrade to use Flash is unimportant, but it's a fatal flaw for the iPhone.

Can you say 'hypocrite'?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #109 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

I don't think there has been a single phone that was sold with 1.5 or 1.6 that has been updated yet...

The Moto Droid on the other hand was sold with 2.0, and has already been updated to 2.1
(so the person above with the "DROID IDon't update" comment, you are flat out wrong)

The Samsung Moment and HTC hero are scheduled to get there update very soon, Moment is due to get 2.1 in the next 48 hr's or so, and hero with in the next week. As reported by the "Android and me" web site.

The G1 may not get 2.1 due to hardware requirements, then again i am running 2.1 on my G1 thanks to Cyanogen.

The Moto Cliq is going to get an update per an announcement by Moto.

Will there be some phones left behind because one of the 3 partners decides not to update? Probably, but that is a business decision.

Apple controls every aspect of the iPhone, even down to the applications you can install. This control does allow for a smother update process, but limits the amount of personal freedom you have on our device. Android on the other hand needs to have the hardware manufacture and the provider work together to bring you an update, so updates are more cumbersome and take longer. There is an advantage to this... Customizable UI's, personal freedom to install anything you like, and variety between different Android devices.

I am an Android guy and like my freedom of choice.
Apple will always make a great innovative product, but the amount of control they wield over the device is almost scary.

Anyway, i am sure i will get flamed here considering this is an Apple fan site, but i think Android will become the defacto OS for smart-phones in the next few years.

And notice the total coolness of my response - no flames here, just questions:

What does the marketshare show? Android has been around almost as long as the iPhone OS, what per cent of the market does it command?

Of what value is "personal freedom" in a mobile handset to the average consumer (again consulting marketshare is helpful in determining what consumers actually want)?

As an Android guy, would you prefer to be able to (for example) customize your vehicle freely, for fuel type, stopping distance, acceleration, power features, finish and horse-power? What if it means that your vehicle is less reliable (even though "feature-rich") and prone to dying at unexpected times, or accelerating unexpectedly? Would you be willing to accept the consequences of such ability to customize?

And if you are able to accept the consequences of the above customization example - have you in fact done so, and what have the results been?
post #110 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It is the same situation with people who have old iPhones. They can either upgrade or use older OS versions.

I'm not sure ahead or behind is appropriate to describe the overall experience. They are different.

iPhone is a luxury-goods sort of a user experience, with pampering and a protective nature, while Android is a cool little pocket computer that you use for whatever you want.

Some people like to go to a little place in the mountains and sample local food and culture, while others like to go to Club Med and be taken care of.

Neither experience is ahead or behind. They are different.

I agree, except I would substitute appliance-goods for luxury-goods.

I have been using Apple gear (and interfacing Apple) since 1978. One of their strengths has always been choosing the markets they wish to enter, then delivering best-of-class solutions. They haven't always been successful, but with their mobile platform I believe they are executing according to plan.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #111 of 142
I just think that iPhone fans and Android fans are after different things. I don't like tinkering with hardware - reliability, ease of use, and OS 'transparency' (OS becomes invisible and just allows you to perform your tasks) are far more important to me. I like that Apple has a plan and I really don't mind that Apple is a dictatorship as long as it's a benificent one. Say what you want about Apple products, none of them looks or feels like it was designed by a committee. There is a design and usefulness direction - you may not like the direction, but many of us do. Lack of multi-tasking has sorta sucked, but instead of willy-nilly 'me-first' bumfuzzle design, Apple is bringing efficient, elegant multi-tasking. To me, it's worth the wait. YMMV.
post #112 of 142
Quote:

Given the fact that

1. your browser continues to run in the background after you hit the back button on your android device
2. most of the apps on the android market are ad based.
3. background multitasking = every app that isn't well behaved continues to use bandwidth even when it doesn't have focus.
4. Google's "i own you" option on the device that does period location updates, etc. back to Google.

I don't really care about the web usage stats for Android. It is bloated as a result of multiple issues rather than popularity of the handset.

How is the battery working out for you on your Android device? Did you install a task-killer application yet? I use a Samsung phone running Android running 2.1

Oh, the stupid argument about Apple being your daddy when using an iPhone is the pot calling the Kettle black. You need an Google account to start using the Android phone. It is a question of trusting a company that indexes and searches your personal information for a living vs a company that manufactures devices with bundled software. The only thing I don't like is iAd. I hope it fails.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #113 of 142
Reason why Android created such a big mess of fragmentation is because the people who are in charge of Android are engineers, similar to many other projects in Google going on. Google is a great company for engineers because they can do anything they want. This is why there are many technical innovations from Google.

However, engineers are not strategies. Engineers only tackle technical problems. No copy and paste? I add it. Multitasking, I can add it too. No Flash? I can work with Adobe. There you go. Fragmentation? It's not a technical problem. It's not my job.

Apple has many talented engineers like Google. But one part that Apple stands out is that they have Steve Jobs, who is a great strategist.
post #114 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Except by your descriptions, nobody wants the "cool little pocket computer". Hardly fits the definition of cool really. Seeing as nearly everyone wants/has an iphone.

I remember the days when the cool ones were the ones who would think different.

How times change.
post #115 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

As an Android guy, would you prefer to be able to (for example) customize your vehicle freely, for fuel type, stopping distance, acceleration, power features, finish and horse-power? What if it means that your vehicle is less reliable (even though "feature-rich") and prone to dying at unexpected times, or accelerating unexpectedly? Would you be willing to accept the consequences of such ability to customize?



In general, using Android results in no life-threatening situations.

I think that most people who have Android are like most people who have any other phone, and they enjoy the phone the way their husband/kid/salesman set it up for them.

At Thanksgiving, the grandkids update the wallpaper, and Uncle Joe gets taught how to see the pictures that Mom is always sending him.
post #116 of 142
from Macworld :

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/prod...ml?expand=true
http://www.macworld.com/reviews/prod...nexus_one.html

please read the comments, most are positive too

My point is, Android and iPhone OS are both awsome platform, and they will only keep getting better !
post #117 of 142
Since Android first came out, I have been saying time and time-again on other threads that Android by its very nature will become fragmented. Handset makers have no motivation whatsoever to allow an (easy) OS upgrade path on what they consider to be 6+ month-old obsolete hardware. There is no incentive for them to do that since it would involve spending time and resources to implement the updates. They are in the business of selling hardware, not the software that runs it.

Android fanboys have constantly preached how this will not be the case due to <insert pixie-dust android technology here> being able to compensate for that. Total nonsense.

While serious geek-heads will be able to take a year-old Android phone and get the OS to install, most users will not even make the effort. That will just result in Android becoming a bottom-of-the-barrel OS that's cheap for the phone makers to implement for that particular time.

The majority of Android phones haven't been out for even a year yet and already it's breaking up. That's what happens when too many players are involved in the game. Wait until it's a year from now when the users of the "old" phones try to use a newer-OS app and cannot.

If this situation happened to Apple's iPhone OS, I would bet serious money that the Android fanboys would skewer Apple alive.
post #118 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Clearly Android's strength is in serving a diverse user community. Android is also the #1 platform for developers who appreciate multitasking--coding and debugging for many platform configurations simultaneously.

Diverse is right. The question is if it's a good idea for them to be using 3 slightly different operating systems.
post #119 of 142
On this and some other Android-related threads there has been some discussion on the relative merits of the iTunes app store and Android market... the overriding theme has been: "after n (100. 200?) apps, there's no difference-- each platform has enough apps to satisfy most users.

I have tended to accept that as a reasonable assertion. So, I thought I'd do a little digging. Not being an Android user, I googled "android market":

http://www.android.com/market/

I found a display of less than 40 paid apps, several of which were task killers or utility apps.

So here are the questions:

1) What are the popular apps for Android?
2) Where can you get them?
3) How many apps does the average Android user use?
4) What are the top 10?

Anybody?

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #120 of 142
To the post above there are over 40000 Apps in the android market. Most of the top Apps and games are the same top Apps and games on the iPhone. Where android really excells is third party browsers and other software that would be not be allowed on the iPhone app store. One is the skyfire browser which I mentioned in an earlier post, which has a lot of cool features. I found all my iPhone apps on the android market when I switched to android, but the app store probably has a lot of niche apps that are different or aren't avaliable on the android market. I'd say the apple app store is definently more mature and refined, but android market is very good too.

I don't see android fragmentation as much as a problem as people make it out to be. The iPhone has some fragmentation. For example you could buy an iPhone 3g today and not be able to upgrade to iPhone OS 4 in june. Lower end and older android phones may have somewhat of a problem, but that's just evolution, old hardware can't be expected to run the latest software. And apps also seem to be pretty well distributed despite the differences in hardware.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android users not upgrading their OS to the latest version