or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad 3G estimated to have sold 300K on launch weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad 3G estimated to have sold 300K on launch weekend - Page 3

post #81 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

What's going to suck, is your capital gains tax

I also purchase 12+ years ago, and sold some this year. The capital gains hit me REAL hard.

Skip

Isn't it just 20%?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

What's going to suck, is your capital gains tax

I also purchase 12+ years ago, and sold some this year. The capital gains hit me REAL hard.

Skip

15% is not "real hard". It's hardly a problem at all. You could be paying regular income taxes, as you would if you sold it within a year.

Over the years, I bought stock using my, and my wife's IRA's. Every year we put in the full amount. When I traded on those accounts as opposed to the "regular" account, there was NO tax. Once we take from them we'll be subject to income taxes, but less than we would have had when working.
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I'm not a native english speaker but I guess, when you use numbers only, to group them in ascending or descending order of their units (day - month - year OR year- month - day) is more logical.

year-month-day is also the best way for chrono digital file order.
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Anyone in for a nice hot debate about metric vs. imperial system? Was it NASA who didn't manage to land this Mars probe on the surface, because of such a problem? There is nothing more illogical than a non-metric system. It seems just consequent that the date mixes the order of month/day/year a bit.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Even Canada, which is exclusively on the metric system, uses inches for such things as sheet rock for building, because metric has many problems in dealing with whole numbers because of the lack of enough divisible numbers, so you need to manage with fractions far more often.

Even with Celsius, there is the readability factor, where Fahrenheit's divisions are closer together. so when we say a number as the temperature, you don't need to say ".5" to get a closer idea to what it actually is.

Metric has been official as a system here in the States since Congress, in 1866 made it so.
post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you go into a restaurant for an 'all you can eat' buffet and it's $9.95, do you think that TWO people should be able to get all you can eat for the same $9.95 or is it $9.95 each?

If you buy a second airline ticket, do you each pay for a ticket or do you expect that buying one ticket should allow someone else to come along?

The AT&T plans are PER DEVICE. If you don't like it, you're free to get a different phone/service combination.

I'm a bit at odds about this myself.

It's not a good example that you gave.

With 3G and the iPhone, as well as the iPad, it's most likely that one person will have both. Therefor, it's probably going to be either in use at once, but not both.

So where I used to use my phone for browsing the net when away from my computer, now mostly, it will be the iPad. So how exactly does AT&T lose?

On the off chance that someone might lend their phone to someone else while using the iPad on 3G at the same time, AT&T could have offered a half price plan instead. So, $7.50 for 250 MB, and $15 for unlimited for those of us with a plan now.

That seems to be more than fair.

And that's why your analogies don't work. We aren't "eating" twice as much data with both devices, and we aren't getting two seats either.
post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

MS has one OS for both PCs and tablets. Their tablets don't sell. And the problem probably is that the PC OS does not work on a tablet. I don't think we will see a unification of the full OS X and iOS soon.

Remember that this is already OS X. It's just gotten a different GUI, and had unnecessary things removed. things like thousands of printer drivers, monitor profiles, fonts, etc. All to make it small enough. There's nothing that Apple couldn't put back if they wanted to.

In addition is the API set that's specifically used for the ARM based devices themselves, and the GUI. But most of the code base is the same (other than of course, the fact that it's been compiled and optimized for the Arm).

At some point, when the chips get powerful enough, Apple might even put virtual memory back, which would allow full multitasking as on the "standard" line.
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Actually, YYYY/MM/DD is much better. That date format sorts lexicographically.

I prefer DD/MM/YYYY. It's more logical as to how we use dates most of the time.

When someone asks for the date, it's not usually the year they need. We'll say, May 3rd in the States, and usually the 3rd of May in many other places. We wouldn't add 2010 unless the year is needed. So if we write year first, unless it's on a form, we're giving the least required piece of information about the date that's usually wanted.

I'm not talking about something written in a history book, or something of that nature.
post #88 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

{Originally Posted by jragosta
If you go into a restaurant for an 'all you can eat' buffet and it's $9.95, do you think that TWO people should be able to get all you can eat for the same $9.95 or is it $9.95 each?

If you buy a second airline ticket, do you each pay for a ticket or do you expect that buying one ticket should allow someone else to come along?

The AT&T plans are PER DEVICE. If you don't like it, you're free to get a different phone/service combination.}

I'm a bit at odds about this myself.

It's not a good example that you gave.

With 3G and the iPhone, as well as the iPad, it's most likely that one person will have both. Therefor, it's probably going to be either in use at once, but not both.

So where I used to use my phone for browsing the net when away from my computer, now mostly, it will be the iPad. So how exactly does AT&T lose?

On the off chance that someone might lend their phone to someone else while using the iPad on 3G at the same time, AT&T could have offered a half price plan instead. So, $7.50 for 250 MB, and $15 for unlimited for those of us with a plan now.

That seems to be more than fair.

And that's why your analogies don't work. We aren't "eating" twice as much data with both devices, and we aren't getting two seats either.

There's nothing wrong with my analogy except that you don't like it.

The fact is that you sign an agreement with the iPhone that ties the data plan to that phone. If you use that data plan on another device, you are breaking that agreement.

You can argue that you only use one device at a time, but that's not really germane (it's also not correct - your wife could be using one device while you are using the other and AT&T would have no control over that). In addition, pricing is based on AT&T's experience of average usage. As soon as you start using multiple devices, their averages are no longer relevant - so you're not using the contract for what you are paying for.

Now, I personally think it would be great if AT&T offered a 'family plan' which offers a fixed rate for the family's entire usage on all devices, but they have chosen not to do that - so you have no right to steal a service which isn't offered.

Besides, if they offered a 'family plan', people like you would be saying "Well, I'm not really cheating them by letting my friends all use my family plan because I don't have any kids, so some people have more users than me". YOU don't get to set the rules. The network provider sets the rules and you either abide by them or choose another provider. At least if you're ethical.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's nothing wrong with my analogy except that you don't like it.

The fact is that you sign an agreement with the iPhone that ties the data plan to that phone. If you use that data plan on another device, you are breaking that agreement.

You can argue that you only use one device at a time, but that's not really germane (it's also not correct - your wife could be using one device while you are using the other and AT&T would have no control over that). In addition, pricing is based on AT&T's experience of average usage. As soon as you start using multiple devices, their averages are no longer relevant - so you're not using the contract for what you are paying for.

Now, I personally think it would be great if AT&T offered a 'family plan' which offers a fixed rate for the family's entire usage on all devices, but they have chosen not to do that - so you have no right to steal a service which isn't offered.

Besides, if they offered a 'family plan', people like you would be saying "Well, I'm not really cheating them by letting my friends all use my family plan because I don't have any kids, so some people have more users than me". YOU don't get to set the rules. The network provider sets the rules and you either abide by them or choose another provider. At least if you're ethical.

There's a lot wrong with your analogies. You're assuming that people using 3G would be using twice as much data, and so the double charges would be fair. But it's very unlikely that would be the case. With your analogies, there would be people in parallel using the data. But it's a serial usage. I use my iPad, then later, I use my iPhone. I don't find myself using the iPad for data use much more than I was using my iPhone for the same purpose, other than for the first day, when I was fooling around with it a lot.

I understand what the agreement is all about. And you're wrong there to an extent as well. We have a family plan with three phones, and of course, the data plan is for all. Even though it's unlimited, we get information as to how many MB's were used, just as we get minutes used. But there's a discount for the family plan, so what you're saying isn't really correct.

AT&T can, and does give special discounts when they feel it's good for them. I did say they could cut a deal and give half price to those of us with iPhones (or for that matter ANY other phone with a data plan). That would take care of it.

I don't even understand your last paragraph. You don't know what I, or anyone else would do, so don't be so snotty about thinking at how I would be cheating. The last thing I do is cheat. I just don't do it. Maybe you do, and you're projecting your experiences on others, but don't do it with me!
post #90 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's a lot wrong with your analogies. You're assuming that people using 3G would be using twice as much data, and so the double charges would be fair.

I"m not assuming any such thing.

Let's say that the buffet is all you can eat for $9.95. Now, I bring my daughter with me. Can I argue that just because she doesn't eat as much as me that it should be included? No. It's $9.95 per person - regardless of how much you eat.

Similarly, the phone data service is PER DEVICE. You are arbitrarily taking something that was not agreed to by the carrier.

Now, if you want to set up your own cell phone network and allow people to use multiple devices, you're free to do so. But that doesn't give you the right to take something that your carrier has not agreed to.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #91 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I"m not assuming any such thing.

Let's say that the buffet is all you can eat for $9.95. Now, I bring my daughter with me. Can I argue that just because she doesn't eat as much as me that it should be included? No. It's $9.95 per person - regardless of how much you eat.

Now you're changing it. But you're wrong there as well. I've been to buffet restaurants, and many offer a lower price for children.

Quote:
Similarly, the phone data service is PER DEVICE. You are arbitrarily taking something that was not agreed to by the carrier.

But, you keep forgetting that they offer discounts for family plans for data services. Yes, it's still per phone, but it's LESS per phone. They could add this to the plan, or make up a plan for a phone and an iPad, offering a discount.

I don't see why you're arguing here. They don't (yet) want to do that. All I'm saying is that they could, and as how there won't be much more data being used, even with a good discount, they'd be ahead, and would also have a better reputation for doing it.

Quote:
Now, if you want to set up your own cell phone network and allow people to use multiple devices, you're free to do so. But that doesn't give you the right to take something that your carrier has not agreed to.

This is a very silly argument. No one is talking about TAKING anything, except you. You keep on insisting that we're, or at least, I'm trying to take something that isn't mine. I don't know what your problem is here, but that's not what I've been saying at all. And it isn't what others have been saying.

We're questioning WHY AT&T isn't interested in doing something that seems to make sense from a business standpoint as well as from a customer friendly standpoint.

Why are you so obsessed on thinking anyone is trying to take anything?
post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I prefer DD/MM/YYYY. It's more logical as to how we use dates most of the time.


Programmers prefer YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS because it sorts chronologically. Most other people just like what sounds familiar to them from a writing or speech perspective or from cultural convention.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #93 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Programmers prefer YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS because it sorts chronologically. Most other people just like what sounds familiar to them from a writing or speech perspective or from cultural convention.

I used to program, so I know what you mean. But most of the thread about that, I believe was about conventional speaking and writing.
post #94 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Now you're changing it. But you're wrong there as well. I've been to buffet restaurants, and many offer a lower price for children.

That's a different matter entirely. If the restaurant wants to offer a lower price for kids, that's their choice. As I said - I would personally like it if AT&T offered a 'family plan' where the entire family's data needs were covered with one fee.

But they don't. Just like if the restaurant doesn't offer a lower price for kids, you're not entitled to walk in and feed yourself and your kid and only pay for one all-you-can-eat buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, you keep forgetting that they offer discounts for family plans for data services. Yes, it's still per phone, but it's LESS per phone. They could add this to the plan, or make up a plan for a phone and an iPad, offering a discount.

I actually said that a number of posts back. The point is that if AT&T wants to offer that plan, it's great. It's NOT legitimate for someone to say "I think that my data plan should cover all devices even though AT&T doesn't allow it, so I"m going to steal the service on my other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see why you're arguing here. They don't (yet) want to do that. All I'm saying is that they could, and as how there won't be much more data being used, even with a good discount, they'd be ahead, and would also have a better reputation for doing it.

That's not what was being discussed. Why do you stick your nose into a subject when you don't have any idea what is being discussed?

Several people were arguing that they had the RIGHT to tether and take AT&T services in ways that were not covered by the contract. I specifically said that it might be a good business move for AT&T to offer such a service, but they don't so taking the service is tantamount to theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why are you so obsessed on thinking anyone is trying to take anything?

Because I'm able to read the thread and you're not?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #95 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a different matter entirely. If the restaurant wants to offer a lower price for kids, that's their choice. As I said - I would personally like it if AT&T offered a 'family plan' where the entire family's data needs were covered with one fee.

This is what I'm talking about.

Quote:
But they don't. Just like if the restaurant doesn't offer a lower price for kids, you're not entitled to walk in and feed yourself and your kid and only pay for one all-you-can-eat buffet.

You're back to not understanding what I've been saying.

Quote:
I actually said that a number of posts back. The point is that if AT&T wants to offer that plan, it's great. It's NOT legitimate for someone to say "I think that my data plan should cover all devices even though AT&T doesn't allow it, so I"m going to steal the service on my other devices.

What is wrong with you? Who, except you, is talking about STEALING anything? Point out where I ever said anything about my taking services for free. I pay for my services.

Quote:
That's not what was being discussed. Why do you stick your nose into a subject when you don't have any idea what is being discussed?

I know what's being discussed. People can think they should get a service for free if they want to. That doesn't mean they're going to steal it, as you seem to want to think they are.

And don't make a statement like that again, or it will be deleted. Have some manners. We're all in this thread together. If you don't like that, then I suggest that YOU leave.

Quote:
Several people were arguing that they had the RIGHT to tether and take AT&T services in ways that were not covered by the contract. I specifically said that it might be a good business move for AT&T to offer such a service, but they don't so taking the service is tantamount to theft.

It doesn't matter that they think they have that right. It's what they're doing that matters. People jailbreak their phones too. And others manage to tether even though AT&T doesn't allow it. Those are actions. The rest is just words.

I still don't know where you think they are taking the service I don't even see how they can, as they are billed totally separately. This isn't like jailbreaking or tethering.

Quote:
Because I'm able to read the thread and you're not?

You'r reading comprehension is is serious question, because not only have you misunderstood much of what I said, even though I said it now several times, but because you're ascribing intentions to people you don't know have them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad 3G estimated to have sold 300K on launch weekend