or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement

Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LbrTradr View Post

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?

You are correct in saying that you can make it a stand alone if you wish but aren't you crippling your computing experience? I have a MacBook and an iPad 3g and can't see not having both to make the iPad experience what it should be.

Maybe they refer to people with a Desktop Mac and a MacBook currently finding one of them superfluous. In my case I find a use for all three ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #42 of 84
The price jumps for the higher capacity iPads are not worth the money in my books. 16GB is plenty for what is essentially a home and/or satellite device. And it's not like an iPod where you might want to carry your entire music library with you... because it's not something you will carry every day (for most people). And it's also not my main computer... so I wouldn't care to store my entire video collection on it. I see it being used at home mostly (where you can stream from your desktop) or outside the home for meetings, travel, notes, email, games... etc... none of which require much space. If I'm going on a trip... I would just load up two or three movies and some tunes and I'm good to go. Everything else (meeting notes, presentations, photos, apps, ebooks etc.) doesn't take any space
post #43 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5. It's not a standard and we haven't even killed off IE6 yet. It will be a niche market for the next 5-10 years.

I could not disagree more. IE6 is as good as dead today. And every single browser EXCEPT IE supports most of HTML5 and CSS3. 2010 will be the year of HTML5/CSS3. It's happening. And as someone who owns an iPad... I can tell you that 9 times out of 10... I have no problem playing video on the web. The majority of mainstream websites seem to have updated already.
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Or they could just double the memory

And lose the opportunity to sell another iPad to the same customer again when they run out of storage?
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I hard drive would work great for all the tilting and shaking I do while playing games...lol. I would last about a day.

However I do believe that 16gb is a bit small for storage and 32gb should have been base model.

I would also love for one of two things to happen. Apple and Adobe to kiss and make up and allow Flash or freaking speed up the adoption of HTML5. Just too many websites I use on a daily basis that are Flash driven. I am not a lover of Flash I just want to be able to use all the sites I uses on my MBP without have to go from one to the other.

Eventually, the 16GB model will be replaced by the 32GB model.

I've read that a new iPhone/iPad web browser called Skyfire will be submitted for approval. Skyfire will allow you to watch Flash movies on your iPhone/iPad. The way it works is when you access a website with Flash movie the Skyfire peoples server convert it to HTML5 on the fly. How well it is going to work? I have no idea.
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seems about right. I'm going to be buying the 16GB Wi-Fi model when me Best Buy gift cards get here (I'm cashed out $400 of rewards built up over a two-year period).

I'm getting the 16GB model because:

1) It's relatively cheap
2) I already have a 32GB 3GS, so my music needs are already served -- no need to devote a bunch of space for redundant music.

Mazda-

The iPad is much better than the iPhone for movies, and those take up a lot of space.

You might want to go for 32 G, just so you could rent a bunch of movies prior to going off on a trip, and watch them one by one before you get back.

Thompson
post #47 of 84
Quote:

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?

You are correct in saying that you can make it a stand alone if you wish but aren't you crippling your computing experience? I have a MacBook and an iPad 3g and can't see not having both to make the iPad experience what it should be.

i think it's possible for the ipad to replace a second computer. i don't quite see it being a total replacement for your only computer.

also - since the ipad does not allow for multiple user accounts, i think it's likely that apple counts on multiple purchases within a family, therefore offsetting any cannibalization of macbook purchases. time will tell.
post #48 of 84
Quote:

I totally agree with you which is why I would like to have the option to have Flash on my iPad.

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

Without the coming release of 10.1 its going to be even less of an issue due to hardware acceleration.

hardware acceleration only works on a very limited number of graphic cards. adobe (and apple in this case) still have a long way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath. and i'm not.

i don't think the windows market share is the deciding factor in content providers switching away from flash. apple's customer represent a very tasty slice of the demographic they're after. in the end they're going to go where the money is.
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

SNIP

For what Apple is charging for these iPads, there should be a hard drive with more than 160GB in each of them.

i seem to recall everybody expecting the ipad starting at a thousand bucks. i think the unexpected low entry point is going to present a challenge to other manufacturers to come up with a viable alternative. they still want to make money on them, right?
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It replaced my computer, using a 64gb WiFi here. Also, out of such a small sample, 6% replacing is a pretty good amount.

I know. it was 75 people and yet it is being touted around like it is anything close to a truth.

same with the 50 stores. Plus there's no numbers of how many units there were to start with. Sold out when you started with 500 units is impressive. Sold out when you started with 50, not really

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

Is it even possible for the current iPad to operate without a computer? - the first thing you see when you power on a new iPad is a request to connect it to a computer with iTunes on it.. I just plugged it on in, so I'm not sure if this is mandatory.

I'd have to say web browser is smoking fast on my iPad

you have to coinnect it to a computer to start it up. which they will do at the Apple stores. You'll need a computer to get updated OS, some content and certainly to back everything up. but for the actual day to day use, no it won't be connected to a computer

which fits with the fact that it was never pushed by Apple as a replacement to a computer. to a laptop if those are the only functions you use perhaps. but the idea was always to have some kind of computer in the system.

post #52 of 84
I bought the 64GB Wifi+3G iPad this past Saturday and found the device to be a lot better at home than the "messing around" at the store.

As much as I love the device for checking blogs and reading newspaper articles, I have to say it is still missing the "chill" factor. I find that it is a bit heavier than I had originally anticipated, so I can't just relax and use the device. It feels slippery in my hands and typing is still a bit of chore as I am not used to it yet. I must say, I don't miss the flash content much, but it would be nice to watch videos people post on Facebook.

I'm also having issues with how it works like an iPhone on some websites, but acts like a regular browser for other website.

The missing camera doesn't let me do the video conferencing with family, so I'm still attached to my laptop for that. The direct access to storage plays another factor in the replacement issue.

I'm hoping iPad OS 4.0 will fix a lot of the organization issues I have with this thing.
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The price jumps for the higher capacity iPads are not worth the money in my books. 16GB is plenty for what is essentially a home and/or satellite device.

Fortunately, you're not designing things for Apple.

64 GB is already getting pretty full on mine. I have 32 GB of music, 5 GB of photos, and 15 GB of video already. It's getting close to the point where I'll have to start carrying limited selections. I really like the idea of having my entire collection with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

hardware acceleration only works on a very limited number of graphic cards. adobe (and apple in this case) still have a long way to go. i wouldn't hold my breath. and i'm not. .

That's one of the really sad things about this entire affair. If Adobe had just chosen to use the hardware acceleration APIs provided by Apple (OpenCL, OpenGL, CoreVideo, etc), they would already be taking advantage of hardware acceleration on any card supported by Apple. Any time Apple added a new card, Flash would automatically benefit. Instead, Adobe insisted on having direct access to the hardware - so now we're limited to hardware acceleration on 3 video cards. BFD.

Of course, it doesn't matter to me because I almost never have to watch Flash video. When I'm on YouTube, I use the html 5 version.

Quote:

Okay..... maybe I'm missing something here.... and I'm a big fan of Apple products. If you have the iPad and dump your PC or MacBook how will you get updates for the iPad OS? And if you want to add music from one of your CD's how do you do that? If you want to rip one of your DVD's and add it to your iPad can you? If you want to have a 3rd party program can you download that and run it or are you limited to what Apple says you can have?.

Yes, you're missing something. You're assuming that all iPad users are like you.

Granted, there are some who want to do all those things - and they'll almost certainly already have a computer which can do those tasks and transfer the info to the iPad.

OTOH, there are plenty of other users who simply want an email/web/Netflix device and don't care about ripping DVDs or anything like that. If they even have a computer, they're the type of people who are still running Mac OS X 10.3 because that's what came with the computer. Contrary to popular belief, there's no law that you must constantly update the OS in your device.

Not to mention that if there's a good reason why they MUST update their iPad OS, they can probably find a friend to do it or get the AppleStore to do it for them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Mazda-

The iPad is much better than the iPhone for movies, and those take up a lot of space.

You might want to go for 32 G, just so you could rent a bunch of movies prior to going off on a trip, and watch them one by one before you get back.

Thompson

I currently only have 1 movie on my 32GB iPhone 3GS, and that's The Hangover. It only weighs in at 1.44GB. And the only reason why I even have the Hangover is because it was a free Digital Copy with the Blu-ray. I've never bought/rented a movie from iTunes and don't plan on doing it in the future either.

Even if I did want to watch more movies, iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + Jailbroken iPhone 3GS + MyWi Wi-Fi tethering + Netflix for iPad = GOLD
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hope Apple will make it easy to run as a lone device, including getting OS updates across wifi. People talk about the iPad cannibalizing MacBook sales but I am not sure that would happen. The opposite could be true, that as people find the iPad is not powerful enough they opt for a MB or iMac as a second computer. I am also sure that the iPad may replace a desktop or laptop in many households but in the form of multiple iPads. Instead of spending a grand on an iMac a family might buy several iPads.

There certainly seems to be a new category opening up with the iPad. It looks like many older people and others not really into computing are finding this to be an fairly ideal device for their limited needs. Maybe with v4.0 Apple will allow OTA updates and all this to be a stand-alone device, but I doubt it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

I got the 64GB model as that is all the Apple Store had left at the time. (which may speak to what the most "popular" models were). If I had my choice, I would've gone for the 32. I can't imagine ever filling this thing up, though for long overseas trips it will be handy to have a large number of movies queued up. You can never really have too much storage, right?

Exactly. I went for 64 G. My excuse was that I have kids of different ages, who all need different music and videos (did I just say "need"?) for our frequent inter-continental flights. Dora the Explorer, Imagination Movers, Anpanman and Astroboy, Indiana Jones, Avatar... I'll run out of my 64 GB in no time.

Plus, I have a mysterious ability to fill in any space I have.

I stayed WiFi only, as I really want to control my monthly spending. Switzerland is tiny; every trip is "abroad" with massive data roaming fees.
post #57 of 84
Quote:

Yeah I believe the 16GB model is going to be short lived just like the 4gb iPhone. Skyfire sounds interesting I will have to check it out.

Well, unlike the 4GB iPhone the 16GB iPad is popular. My point was Apple will replace the 16GB iPad with the next update like they always did with the iPhone and iPod Touch.
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Someone with a PC might consider the iPad an inexpensive way to enter the Apple world and see what it is all about, as the iPod before it.

As far as your troll comment, these are issues that matter to normal people.

I can see it as a gateway device. After using it, they may wish to try other Apple products. However I don't think many people will purchase it to get a cheap mac. If you ask the average person on the street what an iPad is, they will probably say it's like a big iPhone or iPod Touch, and they will generally say that in a positive manner. So their expectations are not the same as what you are assuming.

Ask that same person what they think about tethering and they will probably ask you what that is. It does matter to me, but I plan on unlocking my iPhone to get it. The people that care about it are the ones who can also get around it and most have never heard of it. Glare? It's a tablet, not a laptop, readjust its position. The glossy iPhone screen is incredibly easy to see in daylight when positioned properly and the vast majority of customers have already shown that they don't mind glossy screened laptops. Why would it suddenly become a major hindrance in the sales of the iPad? AT&T may be your most valid point, but it wouldn't be a problem if more US cell providers used the most common worldwide standard. When the iPad comes to Canada, I'll have 4 national carriers to choose from.

You may be "normal", but don't confuse "normal" with "average" or "typical". It is those demographics that drive sales, not the needs of the technically inclined minority.

Tethering would be a nice feature, but is it critical to the iPads success? No. The same goes for a matte option or a version compatible with more US networks.

I've expended too much time on these topics. They are troll topics. They've been shown time and time again to not have a major impact on sales. They'd be great features, but they are not make or break features to most people. That fact wont change regardless of how many times people bring them up on these boards.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #59 of 84
Quote:

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5.

don't be so sure about that. having major sites like youtube and major companies like Microsoft jump in the HTML5 bandwagon could be just the thing to push adoption ahead

Quote:

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

You really think missing out on several million viewers doesn't matter to content sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Eventually, the 16GB model will be replaced by the 32GB model.

of course it will. prices on the memory are going down. Next round they will have 32, 64 and whatever at the same prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I don't miss the flash content much, but it would be nice to watch videos people post on Facebook.

Facebook is already converting to HTML5 so that issue won't last long

post #60 of 84
Quote:

On the Windows side it works with most GPU's. Which is why Adobe is really pushing it in 10.1.

I tend to disagree when it comes to marketshare in this case. If most users don't have an issue with Flash on the Windows side its just going to take that much longer for it to go away. Apple is really the only one fighting the Flash issue. Even other mobile devices are going to start taking advantage differnent version of Flash.

In the end really all I care about is that I can access the content I like on the net from my iPad. As an example I use a service called EpixHD. I get it through Charter but you can also stream your videos via the web like Netflix. They are working on an iPad version but dont know how long that is going to take and of course it already works with Flash.

The entire Flash situation is just an annoying issue because Adobe really did ignore Apple for so long when it came to Flash.

i'm not with you on the market share issue. this isn't a case of 'we hit most users', but it's a case of 'we're missing out on users we really want'. the fact that many sites are ditching flash already may be an indication that apple has bigger pull than market share would suggest.

i agree with you that it would be nice to have the option, but with adobe's history of delivering a decent implementation for non-windows users, i don't think they can pull it off for mobiles. i'd be happy to be proven wrong, but i do think that adobe has missed the boat. by the time they get around to actually releasing a usable version (that will likely not work on mobile devices on the market now) it'll be too late.

the desktop is a different question. i wish they'd put some resources behind their mac development, but frankly don't see that happen either. for adobe it's just a checkmark on a feature list: mac version - check! they don't care how bad it is, as long as they can claim it exists.

in the end the decision to use flash is up to the people that are after our eyeballs.
post #61 of 84
Um thinks only a penny per 100k units? That is a 14% margin... where is he coming up with this stuff. Worst-case, each 100k should give $0.02 per share earnings surprise, and that is on an ASP of $630.

Assuming a strong international launch this month, Apple should be able to sell 3MM iPads. With a bit of luck (and maybe a June launch of the new iPhone), they should easily hit $3.25 EPS
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncal View Post

I wonder whether the 6% who think it'll replace their computer will be disappointed.

Reports say that Techstud was seen among them
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Personally, my printing is done by emailing to a gmail account I made specifically for this and print from my desktop. Others I know use one of the many available apps to print from their wireless printers. File storage I'm assuming means documents and photos, both of which are stored within my apps and are transferred by email, card reader, or Internet after the initial sync. It is possible to use as your only computer, but not completely practical for power users. Living at home with a desktop and at school with computer labs makes my need for owning another computer disappear. It definitely can negate the need for a laptop, if one has a desktop. Dependent on your mother-in-law's age, it could be her only computer. The only thing a separate computer is needed for is initial syncing and updates (which may come over the air for all we know). File storage would be the final reason for a separate computer. In conclusion, using an iPad instead of a laptop in a household that already has a desktop, is perfectly feasible. Using an iPad to replace all computers, a select group can do. My final advice would be to ask, will you regret your decision either way after a month? For me, that answer is absolutely not.

Interesting to read. The take I get from this is that as long as there is some ocassional access to another computer (desktop, laptop) for initial sync and possibly for updates if they don't do OTA, you can really do a lot of the things you need to do.

I was interested to read about printing from and found some of the printing apps like Air Sharing HD for example. To me this is essential functionality even though it's a bit expensive. I was interested in whether anyone been able to print to a Airport Express connected printer from this or one of the other printing apps?
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

How do you deal with printing and file storage? It won't replace any computers in my house but it would be ideal for my mother in law. If she needs to keep her ageing laptop (XP) in order to sync with iTunes the project is a dead duck. Is is possible to own an iPad as the only computer? Pray tell.

Try the "Air Sharing" app for storage and printing. It can start up other apps to open files that it stores (this is a general feature of OS 3.2). It can also store files for other apps. For example, if you download a zip file in Safari, it opens up and stores in Air Sharing.

There doesn't seem to be any way to update or restore the iPad without connecting it to a computer, but that's a pretty rare event and you can probably handle that for your mother in law.
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncal View Post

Depending on the question asked, it makes sense that 94% of them said it's not a computer replacement. Apple never claimed it would be one. It might decrease computer usage in some areas, but for most users (especially those who are enthusiastic enough to go buy it on the first day) it definitely can't replace it entirely. In fact, I wonder whether the 6% who think it'll replace their computer will be disappointed.

Edit: Of course, being from Europe I might be entirely wrong as demonstrated by Smiles77 ;-)

When asking people who have yet to use it, I think it makes sense too that the number is high. But after people use it, I'm thinking this number will decrease.

And if the survey asks, "has iPad COMPLETELY replaced your notebook?", then the answer will be lower. But I'm thinking that the question will be more like "has iPad replaced your notebook?", in which cases most people will think it has replaced it for most tasks, and reply yes.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #66 of 84
Most people prefer paying for the WiFi model...very few want it to replace their standard laptop or MacBook. Exactly the results Apple wants to hear, I think. This is viewed as another media device, not replacing the MacBook or iPhone. In college I bring my MacBook to a lot of my classes, but once I'm in the workforce with a work computer, dragging an iPad around to take notes, etc with non government internet? Seems like a pretty good option.
post #67 of 84
Quote:

With something like this there is always a risk this could backfire on Apple. Who says users won't get tired of the lack of Flash and stop buying the iPad. A spike in sales at launch is typical doesn't mean its going to go up it could drop off.

The same thing was said about the iPhone (and iPod Touch )and yet Apple is the most profitable handset maker in the world. A similar thing was also stated about the iPod not having things like an FM receiver like other MP3 players that technically look better on spec sheets and yet the iPod still managed to become a natural monopoly. So far, it looks like the iPad has sold more units in a month than the tablet computing market did for the entirety of 2009. Wanting Flash to play Netflix or ABC.com when a native app s faster, looks nicer, and is less resource hungry is much more appealing to customers at large than a Flash 10.1 plug in that is wonky in execution on a touchscreen, prone to crash and heavy on battery use.
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seems about right. I'm going to be buying the 16GB Wi-Fi model when me Best Buy gift cards get here (I'm cashed out $400 of rewards built up over a two-year period).

I'm getting the 16GB model because:

1) It's relatively cheap
2) I already have a 32GB 3GS, so my music needs are already served -- no need to devote a bunch of space for redundant music.

You do realize that your "Reward Zone" coupons expire shortly after they are issued. So if you don't redeem them shortly after they are issued after a purchase, you lose them. You can't keep them built up for over two years. You might want to log into your Reward Zone account and make sure.
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There certainly seems to be a new category opening up with the iPad. It looks like many older people and others not really into computing are finding this to be an fairly ideal device for their limited needs. Maybe with v4.0 Apple will allow OTA updates and all this to be a stand-alone device, but I doubt it.

Ha ha ha. That may be so... but I'm a web designer / developer with a 27" iMac + a 27" external monitor. I run my own LAMP stack and have a collection of virtual machines for browser testing. I code PHP, Ruby and JS.. I'm a huge WordPress geek and have been known to spend hours on the Codex researching functions. I love CSS/HTML. A List Apart is the first link in my collection of feeds. And design. I really love graphic design... both print and web. I lose track of time when I'm working on a new website design in Photoshop. And yes... I have an iPad. And I LOVE it!!!! It's perfect for my "limited needs". LOL. I don't disagree with you... I'm just saying that the iPad is not just for luddites.
post #70 of 84
Quote:

Hadn't thought about it that way, but yea I guess you really dont need a ton of space for it since it's not as portable as the phones and has no camera for recording video or pictures. I still don't want one as it's relatively useless, but i can see how people would want something to browse the web from the couch. I just cant understand why you'd pay 500$ to do that if you already have a laptop.

+1.

Of course 14% of the people are really crazy and spent $829 for the 64GB iPad. And they also are willing to pay top dollar and buy it at the Apple Store! After they pay sales tax on their Apple Store purchase, they could have purchased a much more useful and powerful MacBook from Amazon for less than $100 more. I guess Apple really can sell refrigerators to eskimos! This is the first Apple device that I have absolutely no reason to buy. Even my 8 year old PowerBook G4 can do more than an iPad. But I guess if you have money to burn and want to look like Captain Picard with his tablet device, than knock yourself out. But don't cry foul when Apple slashes the prices on these things. One thing that isn't being told is how many of them are being returned. I guess the refurb section of the Apple Store will answer that question shortly.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Fortunately, you're not designing things for Apple.

What!? I never said that Apple shouldn't have made a 64GB model. Obviously there will be people who want that extra storage and can use it. I'm simply saying that I think for MOST people... 16GB will be plenty. And this article bears that out. Most people (most... not all) probably look at the iPad as a satellite device... not something you would store your entire media collection on and carry with you everywhere.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What did you base this on? Did you stand in line and count how many old people there were? If they aren't really into computing, than they would have no interest in an iPad either. Apple won't allow over the air network upgrades when the OS is a full release at 250+ MB. For the past three years, they have never released a "patch" style update. So you will need a computer with iTunes to be able to apply updates.
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It's a complementary device, not a replacement, which is exactly what this article paints it as. Users aren't buying it with the expectation that it will replace their PC.

According to one comment, 6% of the buyers are dumb enough to actually think it can replace a computer.
post #74 of 84
Quote:

I find that it is a bit heavier than I had originally anticipated, so I can't just relax and use the device.

When I'm using it on the couch... I just prop it up on a cushion. Instant 'chill factor'.

Quote:

It feels slippery in my hands and typing is still a bit of chore as I am not used to it yet.

The Apple case is almost a necessity. It's a great case. Lightweight, simple, cover to protect the glass... and very grippy.

Quote:

I'm also having issues with how it works like an iPhone on some websites, but acts like a regular browser for other website.

The iPad version of Safari reports itself as a mobile browser so websites which sense that and have a mobile version will force you to view the mobile version. It is annoying. Twitter is one example. It would be nice to have the choice of viewing the full website or the mobile version. At 1024x768... I'm not sure there is ever a reason to get the mobile version. Although that may also be how sites like CNN know to give you HTML5 video instead of Flash.
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You do realize that your "Reward Zone" coupons expire shortly after they are issued. So if you don't redeem them shortly after they are issued after a purchase, you lose them. You can't keep them built up for over two years. You might want to log into your Reward Zone account and make sure.

Credit Card rewards with CapitalOne NoHassle Rewards. I can use the rewards to purchase Best Buy Gift Cards, Home Depot gift cards, etc.
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

You see the word "CANNIBALIZE"?
Apple had to make sure the ipad wasn't such a bad a** that it would kill their mac sells.
But the pc vendors will shoot themselves in the foot the closer they try to best the ipad. They already operate on small margins as it is. God knows there is a freaking pc vendor on every flipping block!
And I'm sure Mr. B Gates is worried about the ipad killing the traditional, or being less dramatic, obliterating the pc.
And the irony is that the only outfit that can help the pc vendors is MS.
Ain't that a bi***!
There is no pc vendor rocking their own OS. They have spent to much time sucking off of MS. They are lazy. Maybe Google can come up with something. Who knows. But it has to play nice with the pc or just lave it in the dark.
Steve Jobs done fu**** all them fools!
OMFG!!!!!!

Just my two cents.
What do I know!

I just paid $300 for a netbook and converted it into a hackingtosh machine. Looked long and hard at the iPad but as I have a kindle for reading already, the netbook allows me to do everything else - including a lot of things the iPad does not. The netbook does have some limitations - esp screen resolution but offers a lot of positives like the full Mac OS X experience and a lot more freedom (I have a wireless data card already and don't want to have to pay for data yet again) from what I can and can't install on my device from Apple and ATT. It is also a heavier than the iPad but not by much and as it has a keyboard build in, there is not the cost of an extra adaptor and seperate keyboard to be carried around.
post #77 of 84
Quote:

What did you base this on? Did you stand in line and count how many old people there were? If they aren't really into computing, than they would have no interest in an iPad either. Apple won't allow over the air network upgrades when the OS is a full release at 250+ MB. For the past three years, they have never released a "patch" style update. So you will need a computer with iTunes to be able to apply updates.

Nice reading comprehension there.
post #78 of 84
Quote:

I totally agree with you which is why I would like to have the option to have Flash on my iPad.

Without the coming release of 10.1 its going to be even less of an issue due to hardware acceleration.

For most standard OSX users flash is also a non-issue. The point that's being made is the fact that flash ISN'T dominating the mobile arena quite yet - and the impact of the iPad and iPhones could make a big impact on how much HTML5 is considered mainstream when it comes to mobile devices. I don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad so I'm largely unaffected. Flash is a pain in the ass though for me, on either OS. Major slowdowns and kills battery life.
post #79 of 84
You know, I end up using my iPhone way more than I do my iMac. Editing video is the main task for my iMac or surfing when I need a bigger screen. If and when I get a iPad I would use that instead. I think we all agree it can't fully replace a computer, but it sure can do a lot of stuff, and over time it will be able to do even more. The iPhone and iPad are both amazing devices that have changed the way we think about computers.

As far as storage, I think I'd get the 16GB wi-fi just because the lower price, I'd rather have the 32 GB, and I'd really love to have the 64GB 3G but we don't need another credit card charge in a two iPhone family, with two young kids, and house to care for. If I could pay for the 3G with iTunes gift cards I'd think very strongly about buying it. It's also a shame you can't swap files between the iPhone and iPad without the computer between them.
post #80 of 84
Quote:

According to one comment, 6% of the buyers are dumb enough to actually think it can replace a computer.

What makes you think you're so superior that you can decide for others what their needs are?

For some people, the iPad CAN replace a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The Apple case is almost a necessity. It's a great case. Lightweight, simple, cover to protect the glass... and very grippy.

I didn't think I'd like the case when I first saw it and read some reviews, but I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it's essential and there might be a better case out there, but I'm very happy with the Apple case.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement