or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement

Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5. It's not a standard and we haven't even killed off IE6 yet. It will be a niche market for the next 5-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

... Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time. ...

Flash will, if it's anything, be a niche product in 2 - 5 years and IE6 is irrelevant, as is Windows market share. The adoption of HTML5 has accelerated before our eyes with the release of the iPad and it will continue to do so. No one cares anymore about reaching users who can't move past IE6 and IE market share is in steady decline. However, even Microsoft will be supporting much of HTML5 with IE9, as a defense against Chrome. But, most importantly, Flash isn't going anywhere in the mobile world and having it on a couple of Android phones isn't going to make anyone think twice about dumping Flash.

Flash is already dead and content providers aren't going to look back. In the end, after all, it's their call -- user choice isn't and never has been a factor -- and they aren't going to pass on those eyeballs when they have a way to reach them that doesn't involve Flash.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What makes you think you're so superior that you can decide for others what their needs are?

For some people, the iPad CAN replace a computer.

It most certainly can replace a computer. For most people it won't be their only device but I see this replacing laptop/netbooks for a lot of people that also have a desktop at home.

Honestly my iPhone replaced my MacBook. After getting my iPhone I used my MacBook less and less. I got tired of lugging it around and decided I didn't really need it so it went to ebay.I wasn't using the MacBook for any real work.... just email and surfing mostly. And the iPad is even more compelling in that while not as portable (can't stick it in your pocket) it screen size and better processing makes it great for what a lot of people use there "secondary device" for.

Actually I'm going full-circle on this. I sold my MacBook because I wasn't really using it because I used my iPhone most of the time and I realized that I used my iPhone at home a lot of the time while watching TV (checking IMDB, Netflix, etc.) that I could benefit from a larger screen (old eyes) so I plan on getting an iPad.

I originally planned on the 16GB model but I suspect that once developers get the hang of programming iPad specific apps that the size of said apps may be a lot larger than their iPhone counterparts. Heck that Elements: A Visual Exploration is 1.75GB's already.
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I didn't think I'd like the case when I first saw it and read some reviews, but I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it's essential and there might be a better case out there, but I'm very happy with the Apple case.

I call it essential (to me anyway) for a few reasons:
  1. Large areas of exposed glass and soft aluminum would be suceptible to damage outside the home
  2. It's pretty slippery without a case
  3. Personally, I feel the iPad would be too conspicuous to carry around in public without a case

Another case to look at is the Quirky Cloak... but the prototypes look really bulky and flimsy compared to their original 3D rendering mockups. I'll wait to see a shipping version in person before I decide. For me though, any iPad case has to be a book style case... so you can just flip open a cover. I wouldn't go for a silicone jacket (no glass protection) or a zippered case (can't just flip it open... have to take the iPad out). But that's just me.
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

For me though, any iPad case has to be a book style case... so you can just flip open a cover. I wouldn't go for a silicone jacket (no glass protection) or a zippered case (can't just flip it open... have to take the iPad out). But that's just me.

That makes a lot of sense. I note that pads of paper have simple leather covers available. It sounds like you want something similar.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement