or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › AT&T not responsible for iPad streaming video restrictions over 3G

AT&T not responsible for iPad streaming video restrictions over 3G - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Why is this ABC's fault? If its not AT&T, this is clearly Apple's fault.

Why should Apple be dictating how much AT&T's network can handle.

Apple should relax this restriction. If its not needed, its not needed. Apple over control again.

In a world of unlimited bandwidth, I would agree with you. But it's not, so I don't.

As we should have all learned by now, AT&T probably doesn't have the network capacity to deal with this kind of heavy use. Other cellular providers may find themselves in a similar predicament if suddenly faced with 250MB/hour streams.

Self-imposed throttling of bandwidth usage on a low-bandwidth network is simply being a good network citizen. This isn't Apple exerting excessive control, because bandwidth limiting is needed. To give a potential real-world scenario, I don't want to be blocked from internet access because the stadium next door has a few hundred fans trying to simultaneously stream the ballgame to their devices (whatever those devices may be).
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

...snip...
Your comment was nothing but rude and assumptive. Not everyone who watches TV is hooked on non-stop police dramas. There is good TV out there - good shows, good topics, and good intention. Stop generalizing.

You forgot NOVA. :P (though I do loves me some Cops on a regular basis.)
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I mean, liking something means it's good. Doesn't it? How many people want to admit, even to themselves, that they have poor taste, and can't tell quality from crap? But most people are like that.

I'm not sure that's right. I like really crappy burgers. You know, the ones from crappy looking dives that have waaaaay too much fat in them and will probably kill me. I like them, but I know it's bad!
post #44 of 52
Here's a chart provided in a link thanks to an article in Ars Technica.

You can see the various bit rates allowed when using different protocols. For cell it varies from the back-up 64 kbps, which you may notice isn't the standard, as it's a backup. The standard is up to 440kbps.

Also look at the resolutions at each stage.

It's a very interesting tech note, but it took some time to read much of it because there are follow-up links all over.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...ETTINGSDIAGRAM

I hope this answers some questions.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfabulous View Post

Yes, a solution is indeed on its way:

http://www.businessinsider.com/abc-i...its-way-2010-5

If said 'solution' looks remotely as craptastic as the down- sampling compromises made for Youtube and Netflix... I'd rather they not even bother until Apple sees fit to associate itself with a more capable cellular network.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #46 of 52
Annnnnnd....... done.

iPad 3G owners, go get that and let us know how it looks.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #47 of 52
The bottom line is, cellular networks do not yet have the capacity/bandwidth for high quality video. We've come a long way, but there's still a lot of work to do.

And the word "Unlimited" as in "Unlimited Data Plans" actually carries a lot of assumptions.

We shouldn't be blaming the carriers for not delivering as advertised; We should blame them for advertising what they can not achieve.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

For such a magical and revolutionary product, its actual functionality is just...

...so half-assed in so many ways...

That is why I have so little interest in it. The restrictions and lock-down are unacceptable to me.
post #49 of 52
This is what it all boils down to.

- Apple is asking anyone who provides streamed content over 3G to ALSO provide a very low quality version of the stream ... No more than 56kbps to be used as a VERY LAST RESORT in times when the 3G speed is really being overused and/or any number of other reasons the full quality version isn't streaming properly.

This has zero to do with any upper limit rules that may or may not already be in place. I'm not a content streamer so I don't even pretend to know such things. However if there WAS someone PISSED OFF about it you gotta know every tech site would be all over it.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #50 of 52
There was an update last night that adds 3G streaming. So it seems this story is very short lived.
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

There was an update last night that adds 3G streaming. So it seems this story is very short lived.

Yeah. Like I linked to four posts up.
post #52 of 52
Two things about the update. I got it this morning, and tried out a show. On WiFi, it looked great. The first thing that helped this is that now, you can view the entire program horizontally as well as vertically.

The second thing is that I had to turn off the WiFi in my iPad for the 3g service. Well, that was watchable, but not as good as the WiFi version. it was obvious. But better than what we used to get over SD analog Tv, considering the quality of most Tv's. I didn't experience the lowest bit rate, but I can only imaging it will look terrible.

By the way, while there isn't much in the way of bass, the speaker is really good. Fairly loud, but the sound quality was surprisingly pleasant. Voices come out very well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › AT&T not responsible for iPad streaming video restrictions over 3G