or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Comedian Ellen DeGeneres apologizes for iPhone commercial parody
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comedian Ellen DeGeneres apologizes for iPhone commercial parody - Page 4

post #121 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Unbelievable. Apple needs thicker skin.

The bigger problem is all the idiots who watch her show and will buy in to the idea that the iPhone OS is difficult to use. If just half the Oprah drones are also DeGeneres drones, Apple could have a cause to complain. You only have to look at the impact Oprah had on the Kindle sales when she praised it. All the Oprah drones ran out and bought them (two of them are my wife's parents). Imagine if Oprah has said it was hard to use! Oprah praised the iPad a week or so ago and hinted that it had replaced her Kindle. You might have missed the hasty post show retraction because Amazon does not want the Oprah drones jumping ship and seeing what a real device is like.

It is all about perception and Apple is justifiably touchy with the Android OS nipping at their heels.
post #122 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Name a country that doesn't monitor or regulate communication in some regard? I don't think there are any.

Sure, but in the US, Canada and the western world in general, what the government finds while snooping doesn't generally get you dead. It is the regime in question, when talking about cooperation. In the end, both companies did what they had to do in order to do business in China.

My intention was only to point out his inaccuracy with regard to Google being snow white in that case, not to insinuate Apple was guilty of collaborating with China to oppress the Chinese.

You are right about corporations being altruistic only when it means money.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #123 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sure, but in the US, Canada and the western world in general, what the government finds while snooping doesn't generally get you dead. It is the regime in question, when talking about cooperation. In the end, both companies did what they had to do in order to do business in China.

My intention was only to point out his inaccuracy with regard to Google being snow white in that case, not to insinuate Apple was guilty of collaborating with China to oppress the Chinese.

You are right about corporations being altruistic only when it means money.

Yeah, I was going off into other topic areas. Sorry about that, I can tangential when it comes to seeing corporations as working for our interests over their own. His trolling has obviously worked on me. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #124 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Google has pulled their fair share of dick moves.

Like what?
post #125 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think there has been some suspicion that the security spec for the Chinese national wifi includes build-in allowances for government sniffing. If this is the case, it would have been a valid comparison of how the two companies handle a government requests for assistance in areas that could easily lead to frightening human rights violations by that government.

And if the Chinese WiFi is kosher, then Soli is right that the two situations are different. Just to make it clear what I mean.
post #126 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Ellen The Degenerate at it again!

Uncalled for.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #127 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Name a country that doesn't monitor or regulate communication in some regard? I don't think there are any.

So helping the Chinese with monitoring of citizen communications is pretty much the same as what every CE company does, everywhere in the world? Eh? Is that your point? That helping the Chinese monitor citizens communications is perfectly OK?




Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But if he (WilliamG/iGenius/TeckStud) really had a problem with China then they wouldn't support any company that has their products made in China or uses Chinese made components, but since he has clearly stated how many Apple products he buys he's just a hypocrite.

.


Given that you don't even know who you really are referring to, the conflagration of statements is comical.

Just call all of 'em, real and imagined, "the enemy".
post #128 of 147
I thought it was funny as hell.

Anybody who's actually upset about it needs more things to do.
post #129 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

So helping the Chinese with monitoring of citizen communications is pretty much the same as what every CE company does, everywhere in the world? Eh? Is that your point? That helping the Chinese monitor citizens communications is perfectly OK?

yes, it's perfectly okay for a company to follow the rules set up by a government. Perhaps you should spend more time reading about the WiFi issue instead of wasting it creating aliases. WE're talking about WAPI here, an increased security option over what China feels are security holes are in WiFI. It's been submitted to the IEEE for approval, so it's not some super secret government conspiracy. If China really wanted to control the phones in China they would do what S. Korea does with strict IEMI registering and harsh laws for IEMI spoofing. Why so much hate on China all the time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #130 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see anything "young and hip" about Ellen's fan base. I see a demographic that might widely be described as "techtarded".

"They" meaning Apple, not Ellen's fan base.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #131 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Like what?

The censorship in China is one. Their claim of being impartial and so allowing very offensive pictures of Mrs. Obama remain in their search results, yet years ago they removed many links that were negative toward Scientology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

And if the Chinese WiFi is kosher, then Soli is right that the two situations are different. Just to make it clear what I mean.

Sure. And the fact that google wasn't exactly pure in the case sited in the original comparison...hence my pointing out that it was a bad example to use.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #132 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Great suggestion. Both Justin Long and John Hodgman should be hired to do a live spoof on her show. It would get the public back in Apple's corner tut suite!

I know, it would have been perfect. Then everybody would have had a laugh and Apple would have come off looking so much better. But Apple despite making incredible products, is what it is. Those who have had interactions with the company from a close perspective will tell you that the culture there is not the same as their brand portrays.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #133 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

"They" meaning Apple, not Ellen's fan base.

That's my point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #134 of 147
Apple got two days of free PR.
Who's the fool?
Who isn't getting the jokes?
You?
post #135 of 147
Steve Jobs is becoming another Howard Hughes.
Creepy....
post #136 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

the late night talk show hosts lampoon their networks all the time.

Jay Leno and NBC.

Simpsons and Family Guy make fun of Fox all the time.
post #137 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Or the tech blogs for repeating this verbatim with no evidence that it even happened, or the people commenting on tech blogs with things like "Apple need to learn how to take a joke" when no one even knows if Apple called her at all.

Or the people defending Apple as completely right and trashing Ellen as completely wrong without knowing what actually happened?
post #138 of 147
I think she was just saying that it is hard for older people to use iphones or touchscreen phones
post #139 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

She should be ashamed for accepting to apologize.

I've read somewhere (Anandtech, maybe) her Network pressured her to apologize, but it seems she hasn't done it, not really. To me that looks more like defiance than apology. I think she has balls.

If that is true, question is - who pressured her network. Well, hypothetical question at least.

I'm disappointed with Apple, though. They are going lower and lower on my don't-like-list of corporations. I think they make great products and I don't mind their pricing strategy, but what I perceive as almost unmatched arrogance and hypocrisy is really put-down for me.

I mean... company that was advertising for years on making fun of "competition" can't stand a simple joke? And something that actually is true for specific users (as someone noticed about his/her mom with long fingernails)?

Really?

If this was a single incident, I'd probably miss it completely... but in the light of recent happenings, I can't avoid to feel Apple is becoming nothing else but corporate tyrant. I'm wondering if, on long run, this kind of attitude will not start pushing some young creative minds away from Apple.
post #140 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Steve Jobs is becoming another Howard Hughes.
Creepy....

How do you know Steve Jobs was even aware of it, let alone personally told anyone in the company to do anything about it?
He's the CEO and he has a big influence over the company but he does not direct every little thing the company does.
post #141 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I know, it would have been perfect. Then everybody would have had a laugh and Apple would have come off looking so much better. But Apple despite making incredible products, is what it is. Those who have had interactions with the company from a close perspective will tell you that the culture there is not the same as their brand portrays.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but I think what's happening at Apple might be Steve has gone completely ape-shyte ballistic on the employees about the whole iPhone v4 being exposed early and they are now going overboard in response. I'm only putting things into a perspective I can relate to in the workforce... Boss goes nuclear, employees respond.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #142 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How do you know Steve Jobs was even aware of it, let alone personally told anyone in the company to do anything about it?
He's the CEO and he has a big influence over the company but he does not direct every little thing the company does.

The way Apple is today - in most if not every sense - is modelled and influenced by SJ. Even if he doesn't personally sign every decision, he is creator of the business culture that is doing what Apple is doing today, good or bad.

In a way (exaggeration warning!), it is like saying Hitler hasn't killed every person in concentration camps during the WW2; in fact he hasn't killed any. But he did create policy that led to camps' mass murders.
post #143 of 147
you know what the real joke is.... The real joke is that Apple have become the corporate monolith they sought to destroy with the 1984 Macintosh commercial.
post #144 of 147
Ellen had an episode on her sitcom about getting into shape. She took a NordicTrack with the friction mechanism completely disengaged so that the device was like being on ice and did a Lucille Ball number, making the device look like an absolute piece of junk.

At the time the NordicTrack was selling like mad and it was a very effective exercise machine. After that episode aired sales immediately dried up. Within a few months the company, which was the most successful of them all, had been driven right out of business. The investors (mom and pop investors, not just rich people) lost their shirts. The company's assets were sold to a competitor, who used the NordicTrack name on other equipment and the original machine was history.

As Musollini once said, people will believe anything. This dumb TV show killed a great machine all for a cheap laugh. That is the power of cheap entertainment.
post #145 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

Ellen had an episode on her sitcom about getting into shape. She took a NordicTrack with the friction mechanism completely disengaged so that the device was like being on ice and did a Lucille Ball number, making the device look like an absolute piece of junk.

At the time the NordicTrack was selling like mad and it was a very effective exercise machine. After that episode aired sales immediately dried up. Within a few months the company, which was the most successful of them all, had been driven right out of business. The investors (mom and pop investors, not just rich people) lost their shirts. The company's assets were sold to a competitor, who used the NordicTrack name on other equipment and the original machine was history.

Maybe this is true, but I can't find any corroboration to this story. The information in this article says three years passed from peak to bankrupcy: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n24339286/ The story mentions FTC complaints and a couple lawsuits, but no TV show episode.
post #146 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but I think what's happening at Apple might be Steve has gone completely ape-shyte ballistic on the employees about the whole iPhone v4 being exposed early and they are now going overboard in response. I'm only putting things into a perspective I can relate to in the workforce... Boss goes nuclear, employees respond.

Magic Eight Ball says more than few people inside 1 Infinity Loop are increasingly concerned about Steve Job's judgment.
post #147 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Magic Eight Ball says more than few people inside 1 Infinity Loop are increasingly concerned about Steve Job's judgment.

What else does the Magic Eight Ball say? Tell me more.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Comedian Ellen DeGeneres apologizes for iPhone commercial parody