or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement - Page 3

post #81 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'd love a small camera like the iPhone, but even that one is almost twice as thick as the Touch. I'd be disappointed with the camera in the Nano with no stills and low quality video, so I'm content with just a larger battery instead.

I've got the standard 3G iPhone. Just came back from a trip to DC, when my real digital camera battery died, i ended up pulling out my iPhone to continue my barrage of photo snapping. Granted the camera on the 3G is not as Hi-Res as my 7Mpx Nikon 7800, but i did find in low-lighting situations (like in Museums) it did as good of a job or even better than my Nikon (just wish the iPhone had image stabilization). Granted i haven't figured out all the lighting options of the complex shooting modes of the Nikon, but in a pinch the iPhone worked very well.

I do have to say also that the camera in the Gen 1 iPhone takes much better photos than the Gen 2 that i have. I'm not sure why by my girlfriend's Gen 1 is way better at focusing than the Gen 2. Anyone else experience this?
post #82 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Because you're judging everyone else by YOUR needs. There are a lot of people out there who use phones and never upgrade the OS. The iPad is the same idea. They'll activate it for you at the Apple Store if you wish and then you can use it without ever connecting it to a computer.

You must be confusing me with someone else. I'm the one who is questioning the dependency argument, not making it.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #83 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've got the standard 3G iPhone. Just came back from a trip to DC, when my real digital camera battery died, i ended up pulling out my iPhone to continue my barrage of photo snapping. Granted the camera on the 3G is not as Hi-Res as my 7Mpx Nikon 7800, but i did find in low-lighting situations (like in Museums) it did as good of a job or even better than my Nikon (just wish the iPhone had image stabilization). Granted i haven't figured out all the lighting options of the complex shooting modes of the Nikon, but in a pinch the iPhone worked very well.

Exactly. I'd love that camera in the iPod Touch, it's just not feasible at this time to include it while retaining the thinness.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #84 of 148
44% of buyers are going to be disappointed.

I have had my iPad for over a month now and it does NOT replace a notebook computer. There are so many things that it can't do, or does poorly, that it is not a substitute for a computer by any stretch of the imagination. It does a few things well, but taking over the role of a computer is not one of them.
post #85 of 148
...and those individuals are sorely/sadly misguided.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #86 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2an View Post

Katy "the worst Apple analyst" Huberty just doesn't get it again. You have to have a computer to use an iPad.

My guess: it may cannibalize a small fraction of iPod Touch sales, where Touch customers find they can do more with an iPad, but it will rebalance the desktop/notebook market towards the desktop. The iPad buyer gets great portability and may be equally happy with a desktop (which is more price efficient per feature) as their other machine.

Actually, you need a computer to activate the iPad. They will do that for you in the Apple store. The only thing you would have to have a computer for after that would be to update the firmware/OS or backup.

Of course, given the fact that most people are going to want to use WiFi while at home, it's hard to imagine too many people not having a computer at home.
post #87 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't totally buy these numbers. The only way I can see an iPad replacing a notebook. Is if you have a desktop that's your primary machine and use the iPad as your portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is exactly what I think many people will do. I plan on doing it. I much prefer to wok on a desktop when a t home, but I needed the portability of a portable so I went with a Mac Book Pro. I can do all the things I usually do when traveling with the iPad: namely emailing, web surfing, taking notes, etc. So why would I buy a more expensive laptop when I can get a fuller features iMac and iPad for about the same price?

I know a few people that have proposed that very thing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #88 of 148
This is a somewhat interesting discussion.

I've been pleased with my iPad purchase so far. Watching videos on the iPad is great, playing games is great, reading comics is great, playing with touchscreen piano apps and in general "messing around" is really fun. As a result my desktop and laptop get a LOT less use.

Casual web surfing aka "couch surfing" is fine on the iPad. However, the second that Flash is needed or I need to do research that requires a lot of typing, I switch to a laptop or a desktop. The statement that the iPad is the best web browsing experience is exaggerated. It isn't, because of the limitations.

The iPad does not lend itself to proper neck and back posture, and this is another limitation to serious usage. If I was in fact doing serious long-term work, I'd use my more ergonomically friendly desktop. I think however a more powerful argument in the iPad vs Laptop debate is that the laptop has replaced the desktop. Just plug in a couple of cables and you are good to go.
post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post

To me the iPad is an extremely expensive device for what it does and for what it is.

To me the ipad is very well priced. I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck.
post #90 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Since buying my iPad, use of my iPhone and iMac has dropped off dramatically and I now use iPad 90% of the time. The iPhone is just a phone to me now and I haven't used an app or the data network since getting the iPad. My iMac gets turned on to sync my iDevices and occasionally surf the web but that's it. If it was possible to use iPad as my main/only computer, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Give it 6 months and your patterns will spread out to all your devices after you find the best uses for them.
post #91 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think you see my point. You cannot initialize, update, or even store added files beyond the physical storage of the device without a computer. I agree that the iPad is 95% self-sustaining, but without the interface of a computer, you have to look for alternate devices, like a netbook. And this should (IMO) be addressed by Apple to open the market up even further. Why build a device as powerful as this and call it Niche, seems short sighted.

An accessible file structure should be implemented as well at the ability to initialize the iPad without a computer is (IMO) the next step to opening this device to people who don't need a full fuction computer/laptop. That's all i was arguing that Apple should address. I think this may be in the works; if you remember back last year AI posted that Apple is begining to look into an iTunes Cloud interface. That could solve the problem.

My idea of just including (or offering) a docking station specific to devices like the iPad or even iPhone could also be a solution; since neither device has a large enough drive space for large collections of movies, photos, iWork files and music to sync without some kind of sync storage. Perhaps if the Accessory keyboard had some storage space integrated and that could be plugged into the Time Capsule or connected directly to a modem/router, that could also be a solution.

And, since some people are tired of my arguement (see posts above) i will drop it here.

This is the same restriction more or less that you will have on any other type of computer. It's restricted to the storage capacity it's got unless it's connected to something else. The objection seems to be in actuality the lack of a conventional file system. This is a difference, which you are free to dislike, but it's not a dependency. If 64 GB isn't enough storage for your needs, I suppose you won't be buying an iPad, but my sense is that 16 GB is in fact enough for most people, for the uses they are likely to have for the iPad. (FWIW, the photo adaptor kit also serves as access to external storage on SD cards for some purposes.)

All this being said, I don't think at this point that Apple conceives of many iPad owners not owning any other computer, as witnessed by the fact that one is used to initialize it. The point I am making is that calling it a dependent device is an exaggeration of the actual situation. Beyond this exception, the iPad is no more dependent than a conventional PC.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #92 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

44% of buyers are going to be disappointed.

I have had my iPad for over a month now and it does NOT replace a notebook computer. There are so many things that it can't do, or does poorly, that it is not a substitute for a computer by any stretch of the imagination. It does a few things well, but taking over the role of a computer is not one of them.

It's replaced mine. But I'm just an average user. Wait a minute SO IS THE VAST MAJORITY.
post #93 of 148
DrMIllmoss:
amazing how sadly mistaken you are, what limitations are you talking about on a PC, not making dinner for you, were refering to computing limitations, as far as computers go the iPad is very limited.

You want to believe that 16gb is enought, who is it enough for? Not me, you want to believe in the Apple hype then go right ahead, spend your money on pretty much useless and or limited devices and if they make you happy, great! But please don't go around saying stuff like the iPad is limited no more than any other computer, that 16gb is enough for most people, and other misleading opinions.
post #94 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"To me it's a no-brainer: iPad, netbook, it's sort of 100 to zero," Cook said. "I can't think of a single thing the netbook does well,

Now that is just propaganda. The good ones do pretty much any "single thing" plenty well, including playing flash videos. They can even do several things at once.

His suggestion is just silly.
post #95 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchmee View Post

The LAST thing Apple will allow is the touch to die on the vine. A pocket-sized music player that also runs Apps is one thing only - the touch. Look for it to gain features that differentiate it from the iPad.

The Touch gives Apple access to a whole different demographic of customers who can use it access the iTunes and the App Stores. I would expect it to be a category in its own right for a long time.
post #96 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post

DrMIllmoss:
amazing how sadly mistaken you are, what limitations are you talking about on a PC, not making dinner for you, were refering to computing limitations, as far as computers go the iPad is very limited.

You want to believe that 16gb is enought, who is it enough for? Not me, you want to believe in the Apple hype then go right ahead, spend your money on pretty much useless and or limited devices and if they make you happy, great! But please don't go around saying stuff like the iPad is limited no more than any other computer, that 16gb is enough for most people, and other misleading opinions.

Yeah, I'm just a loser. Good call.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #97 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The point I am making is that calling it a dependent device is an exaggeration of the actual situation. Beyond this exception, the iPad is no more dependent than a conventional PC.


...and your 'point' is actually the true exaggeration here.

My iPads (yes I own the 64gb version of both the Wifi and the 3g), are peripherals in the same manner as any other media player/iPod/ZUNE HD/et al, and are in no way capable of the functionality of computers running full-featured/desktop operating systems.

To argue that "the iPad is no more dependent than a conventional PC", is to do nothing more than show just how little you really know about PCs.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #98 of 148
I see the iPad also boosting desktop sales in that if the iPad does the trick re portability, why not invest in a good desktop, as opposed to spending at least as much if not more on a notebook.

A desktop for heavy lifting and an iPad for lighter duties away from the desk, seems like a very rational arrangement. I have a desktop set-up consisting of a Mac Mini and a Cinema Display. Soon I intend to invest in an iPad. Because I have tons of storage on my desktop (1T harddrive plus the Mini), I can get the base iPad and not worry about only having 16GB to work with. I don't think most consumers will be able to get everything they want out of a 16GB device with limited horsepower. The point isn't for them to.

What will happen, though, is that fewer folks will opt for a notebook over a desktop system with more bang for the buck. Right now some folks, thinking only of not spending money, are deluding themselves that the IPad will be a complete solution. It's not nor is it intended to be. And as for hurting iPod sales, folks will still want a pocketable device for many uses, which the iPad isn't. Good luck jogging with the iPad along for the ride.
post #99 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2an View Post

Katy "the worst Apple analyst" Huberty just doesn't get it again. You have to have a computer to use an iPad.

Actually, you could have it set up at the store, and never deal with another computer agai, if you're willing to forego syncing and firmware updates.

Not viable for most people, no, but for some it would be quite adequate.
post #100 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...and your 'point' is actually the true exaggeration here.

My iPads (yes I own the 64gb version of both the Wifi and the 3g), are peripherals in the same manner as any other media player/iPod/ZUNE HD/et al, and are in no way capable of the functionality of computers running full-featured/desktop operating systems.

To argue that "the iPad is no more dependent than a conventional PC", is to do nothing more than show just how little you really know about PCs.

Childish Intimidation, Harassment, & Bullying Is Futile - Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective.
post #101 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Childish Intimidation, Harassment, & Bullying Is Futile - Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective.

So is selective and out of context quotation for the purpose of "winning" an argument. If you hadn't quoted back this particular troll I suppose I would not have known that he was up to his usual tricks. Thanks.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #102 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'll be buying a 16GB iPad in a few weeks, but I still don't see how it could be a replacement for my MacBook Pro.

I'm going to be using it mainly as a consumption device and not a content creation device for many reasons (some of which have already been stated).


My sentiments exactly. I love my iPad and use it for what it is primarily intended: media consumption and games. Period.

There IS room for this product type, as the numbers over the few years will prove.

Jeez, this argument is getting old.
post #103 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchmee View Post

My sentiments exactly. I love my iPad and use it for what it is primarily intended: media consumption and games. Period.

There IS room for this product type, as the numbers over the few years will prove.

Jeez, this argument is getting old.

I think people are reading too much into this survey. No one is saying it's a replacement for YOUR MacBook Pro. It's certainly not a replacement for MY MacBook Pro, but that is because my MBP is my primary machine.

What I'm seeing and hearing is people choosing or considering a desktop for serious computing needs and an iPad for simpler mobile computing. Maybe that will work out for them and maybe it won't, but the logic makes sense. I know plenty of people who have foregone a desktop altogether for a powerful notebook, but as with all notebooks you pay more for less. Going with a desktop and ARM-based tablet might be the perfect fit for a lot of people.

Besides making the tablet market viable Apple may have also made have also reinvigorated the desktop market.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #104 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Childish Intimidation, Harassment, & Bullying Is Futile - Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective.

There's a monumental difference between one's perspective, and F A C T.

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand... As Usual
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #105 of 148
I'll be purchasing new computers soon and for me It,s the MacBook Pro core i7 because I run Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, For my wife however, She only uses computers for internet browsing and listening to iTunes which is why she's getting an iPad instead of a MacBook Pro or maybe a 13" MacBook Pro if she really wants it. \
post #106 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think people are reading too much into this survey. No one is saying it's a replacement for YOUR MacBook Pro. It's certainly not a replacement for MY MacBook Pro, but that is because my MBP is my primary machine.

What I'm seeing and hearing is people choosing or considering a desktop for serious computing needs and an iPad for simpler mobile computing. Maybe that will work out for them and maybe it won't, but the logic makes sense. I know plenty of people who have foregone a desktop altogether for a powerful notebook, but as will all notebooks you pay more for less. Going with a desktop and ARM-based tablet might be the perfect fit for a lot of people.

Besides making the tablet market viable Apple may have also made have also reinvigorated the desktop market.

All good points. A lot of these arguments can be easily boiled down to, "if it doesn't work for me, it couldn't possibly work for anyone."
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #107 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAre View Post

I'll be purchasing new computers soon and for me It,s the MacBook Pro core i7 because I run Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, For my wife however, She only uses computers for internet browsing and listening to iTunes which is why she's getting an iPad instead of a MacBook Pro or maybe a 13" MacBook Pro if she really wants it. \

Which makes complete sense, because she can always use your MacBook to sync data to and from her iPad, but those who make inane claims that the iPad can fully serve as a PC replacement are the way off base... It's A Computer Peripheral - Plain and Simple
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #108 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Hmm... things Netbooks do well that the iPad doesn't:

...............

Again, iPad excels at accessing information, but Netbooks and Macbooks will have it beat for content creation for a long time to come...

hmmmmm. You've missed the point, it's not what you think the iPad can't do, it's what the million or so people who love what it does.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #109 of 148
anyone who thinks the iPad is a notebook replacement is on some serious shiit..

no way in hell is a giant iPod Touch a notebook replacement..
post #110 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Which makes complete sense, because she can always use your MacBook to sync data to and from her iPad, but those who make inane claims that the iPad can fully serve as a PC replacement are the way off base... It's A Computer Peripheral - Plain and Simple

A quick note, because I pulled out of this discussion when it started boiling: the iPad fully serves 98% of the uses of the average consumer and is very helpful to very technical people as well. It does not replace the computer the same as the computer does not replace paper. It can, but life would be very difficult without it right now. Receipts, presentation notes, Post-its, manuals, stickers, etc. are all very much needed today and can't be all replaced by computers without a huge reworking of all those systems. Similarly, the computer is great for programming, extensive video editing and storage, music mixing, etc. and the iPad can't do all them without a large reworking of apps, workflows, and transfer methods. Both of these things can be done, they just need to be accounted for. If your life can account for all or most of these scenarios, it works. If it can't, it doesn't work. This is not a perfect analogy, but I think helpful to the discussion. I understand your point and where you're coming from; I'm merely asking that you consider my view of the situation and see if it's reasonable. Merci.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #111 of 148
I think it should of said "44% of iPad buyers view the iPad as a Netbook replacement."

Love the iPad for what I bought it for. (A media device, browsing, email, and games) But it's not going to replace my iMac (Love it more)
post #112 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

How has that been proven? Don't you think price is part of the reason the Macbook outsells the Macbook Air?

That's not a good example. A better one would be how Apple is outselling the general PC market with more expensive computers.


Quote:
The already are a mainstream product.

Netbooks are an extremely small fraction of over all computer sales, their numbers don't rival any other category.

Quote:
A lot of netbooks have basically full-sized keys. Still a lot better than typing an essay up on a tablet.

The iPad can use a keyboard through USB or bluetooth.

Quote:
The same way it works on a netbook? Full-featured with video chat, conferencing, etc. etc?

Now you are making disclaimers. Skype is overwhelming used to make phone calls, very little video communication.

Quote:
If you show up somewhere and need to print, chances are there is a USB on hand, same with a projector, external hard drive, etc. Probably no proprietary iPad cables around, though.

Exactly what proprietary cables are you talking about? The iPad uses USB, mini stereo, WiFi, and bluetooth. All standard networking protocols.

Quote:
Tell that to someone with a library of FLAC music on their home PC (quite common), content management system (quite common), or someone who wants to watch a DVD, or has some dvds ripped to MKV or another non-itunes format that they want to watch (also very common).

You are just making up problems.

MP3 is by far the most widely used music codec. To use FLAC you are just needlessly making life more difficult than it has to be.

Why would someone need to rip a DVD into MKV?

Flash has not caused the iPhone any problems. Content distributors simply bypass it and deliver H.264. There is no reason it has to be wrapped in Flash.

Quote:
The iPhone, yet, but do you really think it'll replace the netbook or macbook for video editing, music recording, typing essays etc for most people?

Yes the iPad will outsell netbooks. The iPad is not trying to replace anything for content creation, my point is that there are lots of apps for that use.

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot in my original post, with a Netbook you can listen to music while having a spreadsheet, word document, web browser, email client and Skype open at the same time!

On an 11" screen? What's the point?
post #113 of 148
"All the PCs and laptops are basically not being used. All the Macs are not being used. All have been powered off. Everyone in the family is waiting for their turn at the iPad."

What iPad Did To My Family
post #114 of 148
When I gave up smoking, I can't stand being anywhere near some one smoking.

When I gave up PC, I can't stand being anywhere near one.
post #115 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Hmm... things Netbooks do well that the iPad doesn't:

1. Cost $400 or less.
2. Run the same operating system, office programs, etc that their desktops/work computers do (most of the time without needing to pay for an extra copy)
3. Let you type long reports, write long mails, etc on a physical keyboard without needing to carry around an extra plug-in keyboard
4. Skype (maybe there is support for this now, but not last time I checked)
5. Connect to peripherals everywhere easily and without needing to take special cables from home
6. Access file types currently unavailable on the iPad (flash, FLAC, MKV, i'm sure there are more)
7. Show the screen at an acceptable viewing angle for working without holding it in your hands or propping it up against something.

Those were a few things that came to mind... I know there are tons of things the iPad does better, but comparing them like Cook is is really a situation of Apples and Oranges.

Again, iPad excels at accessing information, but Netbooks and Macbooks will have it beat for content creation for a long time to come...

I was initially thinking (not knowing who said that) what kind of Muppet must that person be, but once realising it is one of Apple's top brass, it makes sense - of course Apple would like iPad to replace all the netbooks and cheapo notebooks.

However, it also means Apple do want iPad to be considered computer, and that is not necessarily good for iPad - mor it is considered computer, more it's shortcomings (as a computer) will be surfacing.

Typical scenario would be average George getting iPad because he was told/has seen/read somewhere that iPad is alternative to netbook but much better in a magical sort of way. Average George will see initially there is no keyboard but average George might be light on typing emails, and there is add-on keyboard anyway so average George goes for an iPad believing that is it netbook/notebook replacement (minus the keyboard), capable of doing everything else computer can... and then average George gets pissed off because he can't plug his printer, DVD, digital camera, can't sync his iPod (I'm guessing you can't sync iPad with iPod - can you?)... so hi tells his average mates how disappointed he is and Apple sells one iPad more, but potentially looses much more sales from other people scared away.

I think it's a thin ice. Apple should be adamant what iPad exactly is and concentrate on how good it is at that, rather than trying to advertise it jack of all trades.
post #116 of 148
They are TOYS!
post #117 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I was initially thinking (not knowing who said that) what kind of Muppet must that person be, but once realising it is one of Apple's top brass, it makes sense - of course Apple would like iPad to replace all the netbooks and cheapo notebooks.

However, it also means Apple do want iPad to be considered computer, and that is not necessarily good for iPad - mor it is considered computer, more it's shortcomings (as a computer) will be surfacing.

Typical scenario would be average George getting iPad because he was told/has seen/read somewhere that iPad is alternative to netbook but much better in a magical sort of way. Average George will see initially there is no keyboard but average George might be light on typing emails, and there is add-on keyboard anyway so average George goes for an iPad believing that is it netbook/notebook replacement (minus the keyboard), capable of doing everything else computer can... and then average George gets pissed off because he can't plug his printer, DVD, digital camera, can't sync his iPod (I'm guessing you can't sync iPad with iPod - can you?)... so hi tells his average mates how disappointed he is and Apple sells one iPad more, but potentially looses much more sales from other people scared away.

I think it's a thin ice. Apple should be adamant what iPad exactly is and concentrate on how good it is at that, rather than trying to advertise it jack of all trades.

The one mistakeI think you're making here is that Apple is comparing the iPad to a net book, not a notebook. Netbooks are usually purchased for light word processing, emails, and Internet on the go. That is why they're bought, in addition to their low cost. Netbooks have never been about being a full computer, it's been about cheap and quick access to the Internet and some light popular computer functions. The iPad definitely is better than a netbook then. You have to remember, they said netbook, not notebook. Huge difference.
All that said, it still replaces my notebook.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #118 of 148
Oh Apple... please resist putting a camera,disk drive and phone in this thing for all the idiots of the world who do not understand the product...

post #119 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

anyone who thinks the iPad is a notebook replacement is on some serious shiit..

no way in hell is a giant iPod Touch a notebook replacement..

Sure it is, for some people.

Reason: For SOME people even a netbook provides more than they need. I know of many people who have a netbook strictly for:

* email from family
* Facebook
* web surfing
* sync their iPod
* some YouTube videos.

That's all they need their netbook to do. For them the iPad is fine as a netbook replacement, and they plan to get one when available here.

For me it wouldn't appear to be if one compared to what I've used my MacBook for.
However, I plan to get an iPad as a replacement for my MacBook because I also have a 27" iMac, which I now use as my main computer. My MacBook is used solely for travel, and in the backyard.

The combination of the iMac and an iPad is a completely adequate replacement for my iMac and MacBook.

When looking at an iPad or any type of electronics gear, the key thing is to find out what they plan to use the item for. Even a top of the line MacBook Pro could be inadequate for some users. For others, an entry level netbook is more then they need.
post #120 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

At this point its been proven that cost is not that important of a factor in a products success.

If this info is correct:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/09/um...s-2008-2011/2/

Netbooks were selling on average 15,000,000 units a year from introduction in 2008 until now. Keeping in mind slower start, current numbers are much higher; Asus alone was expecting to sell 10 million Eees in 2009, from global sales numbers of 20-30 million for that year.

I would say price is important. Not to everyone, of course. But still.

Quote:
Running a desktop OS on an 11" screen is not a plus. This is going to be one of primary reasons netbooks don't become a mainstream product.

Netbooks already are mainstream. Additionally, netbooks are - I believe - destined to evolve into 12 - 13" units in near future. 13" Asus U30 without optical drive is still not much heavier than standard netbook (and still thin as) but comes with proper C2D processor and 10+ hours of battery life, decent size HDD and more than enough RAM.

Quote:
Typing on those tiny keys is not easy for long reports.

There are very good quality keyboards on selected netbooks, both size and type-feel regarding.

Quote:
Skype works on the iPad.

Glad to hear that - my mom will get one for her next birthday

Quote:
Seeing as there are different cables for different peripherals, what special cables are you talking about?

I was wondering about this one. Closest match I can think about would be: you can't go with iPad to your mate, plug it to his home lan and copy last party photos from his HDD. And if your printer dies (and you need to print something), you can't go to your mate with iPad, plug his printer's USB cable to your iPad and print your documents. Etc.

Quote:
There is no need to support every obscure file type. The iPad only needs to support the most commonly used.

Flash is very commonly used one at present \

Quote:
The iPhone already has a wealth of content creation apps. From creating music, to shooting/editing video, to drawing sketches. The iPad will be a better platform for these apps than the iPhone.

Last one I tried, SketchBookX, was interesting but ultimately useless for any serious work. Some applications just can't be done right with finger-touch input. Some tasks need mouse or stylus.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement