or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists

Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists

post #1 of 99
Apple's iPad 3G remains sold out in most of the company's retail stores, prompting "Notify Me" waiting lists that will give customers first priority when supplies are replenished.

Ten Apple stores across the U.S. contacted by AppleInsider Thursday were all sold out of the 3G-capable model of the iPad, in all storage capacities. Some of the stores said they were also sold out of all Wi-Fi models, while others had limited stock.

Customers who want the iPad 3G, first released last Friday, can sign up for Apple's "Notify Me" service, which will e-mail customers when the product comes back in stock. Those who sign up for the list have first priority on the iPad 3G, and will have 24 hours to pick up the device when it arrives in store.

Some locations said customers had to come in to a store in person to sign up for the "Notify Me" service, though most contacted said the registration could be done over the phone.

Walk-in customers will not be able to buy an iPad 3G until the store's waiting list has been addressed.

Some stores said their supplies of the Wi-Fi model continue to trickle in, though demand is strong. One California store indicated they received more Wi-Fi-only iPads on Thursday, but have not had any of their iPad 3G stock replenished.

Apple's online store has a waiting list of 5-7 business days for both the Wi-Fi-only and 3G + Wi-Fi iPad models.

The first day of iPad 3G sales was enough to push the device over the 1 million milestone, Apple announced this week. The Wi-Fi-only model was released 28 days earlier, on April 3.

By the end of launch weekend for the iPad 3G, an informal poll of Apple stores found that most were sold out, and supplies of the Wi-Fi model were also limited. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray predicted that Apple sold 300,000 of the iPad 3G on its opening weekend, though Apple did not provide a specific breakdown of sales by model.

Another survey released this week found that most customers buying the iPad 3G said they would opt for the least expensive 16GB model, starting at $629. The 3G iPad carries a $130 premium over its Wi-Fi counterpart, with the 32GB model costing $729 and the 64GB version for $829.
post #2 of 99
amazing
post #3 of 99
(at least) is not accepting "Notify Me" requests online or via phone.
post #4 of 99
I totally knew that the iPad would be a huge flop (tongue firmly in cheek).
post #5 of 99
It would be interesting to have a list and a link of all those infamous predictions and derisions that the "iPad is just a large iPod Touch". Thus, will not resonate with consumers and other target groups and fields.

The greatest mistake many of us make sometimes is that if we think we have no use for something, everyone else must have the same reaction.

I wished TechStud had the balls to accept my challenge.

CGC
post #6 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

I totally knew that the iPad would be a huge flop (tongue firmly in cheek).

Thank you for keeping your tongue in your mouth. We wouldn't like it very much if it was sticking out.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #7 of 99
I didn't even try going to the Apple Store here. I did check online at BestBuy and they were all sold out. I ended up ordering over the phone and asked the agent if the "Ships in 5 to 7 days" was accurate and he said that's what they've been getting them out at and I should expect it some time around 5/14-5/20. Not bad. I held off this long. I can wait a bit. 64GB WiFi BTW.
post #8 of 99
Interesting, that all the haters and people that tried to talk me and others out of getting an iPad are no where to be seen or heard from.

Or maybe they are standing in line (signing up for "Notify Me") trying to get their hands on one.
post #9 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

CGC

He would have just claimed that they were "all fanbot sheep" that were "sucking at the teat of Apple" buying their "mindless drivel" etc. etc.
post #10 of 99
I'm one of those idiots that wants things more when he can't have it. From what was going to be a casual impulse purchase on Saturday has become an obsession, as no one has any ipads here in Phoenix, AZ. I've stopped into a few Apple stores at opening bell and always have a sympathetic guy with a bad haircut tell me "jeez, sorry, don't know when they're coming in." Makes me want it more!

I signed up for the list on Sunday and still no notification from Apple that they've come in. I think they didn't make many of the 3G models initially. After the sales of the wifi model, they should have known there would be considerable demand. In short, all those stories of supply problems coming from Taiwan etc. were probably based on a bit of truth.
post #11 of 99
Awesome, and here I was scared when my Stock Dashboard widget showed AAPL at $216 today.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 99
if they dare to delay the international start of either the wifi only or the 3g ipad even more imma be a veeery pissed customer!
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
post #13 of 99
Apple is really not that great at foreseeing demand.
I live in Europe in a country not on the first-to-go list.
Version 2 (with camera) will be out before it gets here..

And that really sucks because everyone at my company are getting one, like a present.

By the way.
In my country, we have 9 million citizens. 500,000 iPhones sold. We love that thing over here.
You would think Apple could show some gratitude and at least open up a regular Apple Store!!

</rant>
post #14 of 99
I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.
post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Awesome, and here I was scared when my Stock Dashboard widget showed AAPL at $216 today.

Looks like that was a trader error according to CNBC.
post #16 of 99
It looks like the iPad will have full reign for awhile longer as others wait for Adobe to get Flash working for their tablets.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-d...-arm-40088854/
PS: Does anyone know of anyone that now wants to supplement a PC with a netbook? I don't. Everyone I know seems to want a tablet or some sort for satellite computing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

He would have just claimed that they were "all fanbot sheep" that were "sucking at the teat of Apple" buying their "mindless drivel" etc. etc.

NasserAE and Addabox both have aa nice Hierarchy of Effective Trolling list. No matter how well a company does the trolls have an answer that makes said company look bad.
post #17 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.
post #18 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

That's what strikes me a lot. Everyone (+/-2%) that has used one says they want to buy it. Practically everyone who has not used one, says they would never want one until they touch is, when they love it too! This device sells itself, and I think supply will be strained for a long while yet.
post #19 of 99
Quote:

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.

Greece is definitely a large factor, but there was a large error is seems that shot nearly all stocks down by a huge percentage, including the DOW down 1,000 points.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/36999483
post #20 of 99
And I'm kicking myself for not waiting in line last Friday. I went to the Biltmore store and there were maybe 15 people in line at 5PM. I could have waited 20 minutes and walked home with it. Instead, I decided to hop up to Best Buy (following the advice of TUAW) and got stuck in 1 hour of traffic, only to get to the Best Buy and find out they received 10 units, all of which sold by 5:05PM.

My secretary has one, and it really is a terrific device. Everyone says to me that it's nothing more than a "giant iPod Touch," and that does nothing an iPod doesn't already do. My response is "hell yeah, it's a giant Touch!" But that's a good thing, and it does everything the ipod does but better and faster.

Quote:

post #21 of 99
I signed up on the 3G list in Chandler Arizona last Saturday afternoon. Still no notification.

Funny but I've sorta lost the urge to get one. Between my iPhone, Mac Pro, and 46" flat panel TV I am kinda maxed out consumption wise.

For road trips a 13" MBP would fit the bill better than an iPad. I'm not denying both would be nice but unfortunately my budget is currently limited.

Doug Dolde
www.douglasdolde.com
post #22 of 99
Quote:

Greece is definitely a large factor, but there was a large error is seems that shot nearly all stocks down by a huge percentage, including the DOW down 1,000 points.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/36999483

[M]illion. [B]illion. What's a few orders of magnitude amongst friends?

Oh and I've been on the list since Sat evening and still no word. Sigh.
post #23 of 99
Quote:

It would be interesting to have a list and a link of all those infamous predictions and derisions that the "iPad is just a large iPad Touch". Thus, will not resonate with consumers and other target groups and fields

You meant iPod, I'm sure... "iPad is just a large iPod Touch".

Anyway, when visiting Best Buy a couple of times, weeks before 3G version came out, I can't tell you how many times I heard that quote from 'know-it-all' wannabes, coming up with their friends in tow, tapping on the iPad a few times and then uttering that famous phrase.

If I had a nickel every time that was said, I would be bumping Bill Gate's ass off the second place World's Richest Man list and have my eyes on first!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #24 of 99
Quote:

Could've made 25% in 10 minutes...heh
post #25 of 99
Quote:

Time for Apple to make an app for that!

post #26 of 99
Quote:

It would be interesting to have a list and a link of all those infamous predictions and derisions that the "iPad is just a large iPad Touch". Thus, will not resonate with consumers and other target groups and fields.

The greatest mistake many of us make sometimes is that if we think we have no use for something, everyone else must have the same reaction.

CGC

My favorite is the one quoted by Gruber.

Quote:

Or he could be playing with his iPad right now. We all know how many times he said he won't buy X Apple product then went ahead and bought one.
post #27 of 99
Quote:

It must be nice to have more than 85 million fanbois that keeps on growing every day. And yet, there are still quite a few predicting the demise of Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You meant iPod, I'm sure... "iPad is just a large iPod Touch".

I stand corrected. Thanks. What a different an "o" makes!

The heading was incorrect too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My favorite is the one quoted by Gruber.

I saw that too. Such bold predictions.

CGC
post #28 of 99
Quote:

NasserAE and Addabox both have aa nice Hierarchy of Effective Trolling list. No matter how well a company does the trolls have an answer that makes said company look bad.

You mean this and this
post #29 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Could've made 25% in 10 minutes...heh

Shoot, didn't think of that.
post #30 of 99
Quote:

It must be nice to have more than 85 million fanbois that keeps on growing every day. And yet, there are still quite a few predicting the demise of Apple.

CGC

At what number does it not count as being fanbois?
post #31 of 99
Quote:

CGC

DIdn't you hear?! Anyone who buys an Apple product is a fanboy. If he/she actually like the product and buys another Apple product then they become the cool-aid kid.
post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

You're always a fanboy until you're a girl. Then you're just a girl.
post #33 of 99
Quote:

It looks like the iPad will have full reign for awhile longer as others wait for Adobe to get Flash working for their tablets.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-d...-arm-40088854/
PS: Does anyone know of anyone that now wants to supplement a PC with a netbook? I don't. Everyone I know seems to want a tablet or some sort for satellite computing.

http://link.businessinsider.com/view/d7e.5aw/e51ee427
post #34 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

And I'm kicking myself for not waiting in line last Friday. I went to the Biltmore store and there were maybe 15 people in line at 5PM. I could have waited 20 minutes and walked home with it. Instead, I decided to hop up to Best Buy (following the advice of TUAW) and got stuck in 1 hour of traffic, only to get to the Best Buy and find out they received 10 units, all of which sold by 5:05PM.

My secretary has one, and it really is a terrific device. Everyone says to me that it's nothing more than a "giant iPod Touch," and that does nothing an iPod doesn't already do. My response is "hell yeah, it's a giant Touch!" But that's a good thing, and it does everything the ipod does but better and faster.

It's pretty amazing. In one sense, it is a big Touch. But in a more important one, it's much more (sic).

I went Wednesday to my eye surgeon, and we spent ten minutes talking about the iPad.
post #35 of 99
Quote:

I stand correct. Thanks. What a different an "o" makes!

You made a Freudian slip. It is an iPad Touch.
post #36 of 99
Quote:

When 51% of the sales come from non-Mac users.

Like, err, now.
post #37 of 99
Quote:

When Apple has the volume sales of Nokia at the usual Apple price?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

DIdn't you hear?! Anyone who buys an Apple product is a fanboy. If he/she actually like the product and buys another Apple product then they become the cool-aid kid.

I am getting some education today.

No wonder so many Wintel acolytes are furious, there are a few defectors, I heard.

Soap Box: I am not too concerned (more amused) when bloggers and posters use the term "fanbois", but when mainstream staff who claims themselves to be journalists use the term, my blood boils.

There is loss of objectivity in reporting, which is not good. Unfortunately, it is endemic in mass media these days.

CGC
post #38 of 99
Quote:

Like, err, now.

I agree. But do they become fanbois as soon as they buy an Apple product? I personally don't think so, but we all know some people do believe that.
post #39 of 99
Quote:

Quote:
I stand correct. Thanks. What a different an "o" makes!

You made a Freudian slip. It is an iPad Touch.

And another error, if you noticed -- apart from what you refer to as "Freudian".

About Freud, there was a time I did try to understand his theories, no matter how difficult to swallow some of them.

CGC
post #40 of 99
Quote:

Like, err, now.

It doesn't matter. They are all Apple fanbois now
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists