or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists

Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

An another error, if you noticed -- apart from what you refer to as "Freudian".

About Freud, there was a time I did try to understand his theories, no matter how difficult to swallow some of them.

CGC

Well now, it's a good thing that one of my majors was psychology so that I can spot these things.

"...difficult to swallow some of them." Is another Freudian slip, considering what his theories were based on.
post #42 of 99
I bought a 3G iPad and Apple case on Saturday. It is a device that will truly impact the electronics marketplace. As a result of this purchase we will:
  • be selling our laptop,
  • use our iMacs only for actual work,
  • not buy the car GPS we were considering, and
  • hardly ever use our iPod Touch.
Selling the laptop will cover the cost of the iPad, plus we save the expense of a GPS unit.
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

Yep...each one of these 1,000,000+ iPads is going to be a walking/talking billboard for Apple!

1 in every 330 people in the US have already bought one! In the first 28 days! Amazing.

I experienced a little of what you are talking about where complete strangers would come up and talk to me about the original white iBook G3, and the original iPhone. But I would have to say the most interest I ever got was the original white shuffle...white earbuds with what look like a solid white plastic 'pack' of Wriggley's gum! I can only imagine the impact of the iPad! Enjoy!
post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post

I bought a 3G iPad and Apple case on Saturday. It is a device that will truly impact the electronics marketplace. As a result of this purchase we will:
  • be selling our laptop,
Selling the laptop will cover the cost of the iPad, plus we save the expense of a GPS unit.

Lol, sounds a lot like all of us who bought an iPad. I never would have guessed how much this little guy could do, or how many things it nearly completely replaces. I'll miss Steve when he goes. One of the most astute minds the world has ever seen.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post

• be selling our laptop,

Very logical...when I get my iPad I fully expect to just let my MacBook 'die' and not replace it. I hope to end up with an iPad 3gs, my current original intel iMac, (which if it dies will replace with a 27" iMac) and debating whether to upgrade my current iPhone 3Gs to the G4 or downgrade to a Walmart Boost 'dumb' phone and forego sending ATT the extra $80/mo?

Just need to make sure the 'dumb' phone can sync contacts with Apple's Address book! Anyone know, off hand of an Verizon, T-Mobile or Walmart Boost phones that sync contacts?

If business pickups probably just upgrade to the 4G iPhone. And put it down to the 'cost of doing business!'
post #46 of 99
This is not looking good for International buyers.
Sold out in the USA, does not appear to mean that they have lot of stock, will this mean a further delay?
post #47 of 99
At this rate the iPad will never ship in europe... And that pisses me off!
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

This is not looking good for International buyers.
Sold out in the USA, does not appear to mean that they have lot of stock, will this mean a further delay?

Consider that it might be sold out here _because_ Apple is diverting units for the international launch. They have first mover advantage here in the US, so they can afford to let us cool our heels while they stockpile for the other countries. I assume that the number of people who are purchasing alternatives (nook/kindle, netbook, ipod touch) because they can't get an iPad is likely fairly low.
post #49 of 99
Well, I'm living in Germany where the iPad isn't available officially yet. Got one from eBay 2 weeks ago. Amazing device. Exactly what I wanted to browse the internet on the couch or in bed. Won't be the only one I buy. Can't wait for the 3G version to be available in Germany. Trend goes for having at least two iPads per home.
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by clochard42 View Post

Well, I'm living in Germany where the iPad isn't available officially yet. Got one from eBay 2 weeks ago. Amazing device. Exactly what I wanted to browse the internet on the couch or in bed. Won't be the only one I buy. Can't wait for the 3G version to be available in Germany. Trend goes for having at least two iPads per home.

Yep, my 'trend' has been to be an early adopter and then when the second gen. comes out, buying that too and giving my daughter the first gen.

But recently, she has been able to 'connive' her way to where she gets the latest and greatest and I end up with the 'old models.'

Eg. She started Med school with my original intel MacBook but after a semester came home and I had to buy her a new top tier 13" MacBookPro and I got the almost 4 year old Macbook back.
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, my 'trend' has been to be an early adopter and then when the second gen. comes out, buying that too and giving my daughter the first gen.

But recently, she has been able to 'connive' her way to where she gets the latest and greatest and I end up with the 'old models.'

Eg. She started Med school with my original intel MacBook but after a semester came home and I had to buy her a new top tier 13" MacBookPro and I got the almost 4 year old Macbook back.

I know exactly what you mean.. Well, that's life with the family we love.
post #52 of 99
Quote:

I know exactly what you mean.. Well, that's life with the family we love.

Well said, and as the old saying goes, 'a son takes a wife, but a daughter is for life!'

I like it! Apple makes me look like a genius to her!
post #53 of 99
Quote:

Well said, and as the old saying goes, 'a son takes a wife, but a daughter is for life!'

I like it! Apple makes me look like a genius to her!

And I like your post scriptum. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam (English: "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed"). Nowadays this translates to "Flash has to be destroyed".
post #54 of 99
Quote:

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

I agree. I went into my local Apple Store Friday and maxxed out on the 64GB, wifi 3G. Had some buyer's remorse initially but I'm over it. This device is amazing.

And, yeah, I'm making this entry on the iPad.
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaubel View Post

At this rate the iPad will never ship in europe... And that pisses me off!

nah, Apple is undoubtedly stockpiling iPads from its limited production for the European launch. having an initial shortage is of course a classic marketing strategy for a hot new product. the harder it is to get, the more people want it. classic Apple tactics. but - get your advance order in!

we never get any inside info on the factories in China. are they running 24/7? the really big push will be in the fall of course, with full international distribution, back to school and then the holidays, and the 4.0 OS rollout hype. probably need to make 3 million a month by then.
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

nah, Apple is undoubtedly stockpiling iPads from its limited production for the European launch. having an initial shortage is of course a classic marketing strategy for a hot new product. the harder it is to get, the more people want it. classic Apple tactics. but - get your advance order in!

I hope you are being ironic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #57 of 99
I reserved my iPad with the notify me option last Saturday. I didn't think demand would be as much as it was, so I decided not to go on Friday....went first thing Saturday morning and they were out.

Seventh business day is Tuesday....I'm going to lose my mind if it's not here by then. Only reason I didn't preorder was because I wouldn't have been here to sign for the package, and nearest FedEx office 1 hour away...same as the Apple Store.

Sigh, this turned from something I kind of wanted, to something I frantically check my email for every time I hear my iPhone go off.
post #58 of 99
Quote:

And I like your post scriptum. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam (English: "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed"). Nowadays this translates to "Flash has to be destroyed".

Thanks...and the above is really an 'old' saying, Cicero!

I like it!
post #59 of 99
I watched it drop down 50 at one point.

Quote:

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

I signed up on the 3G list in Chandler Arizona last Saturday afternoon. Still no notification.

Funny but I've sorta lost the urge to get one. Between my iPhone, Mac Pro, and 46" flat panel TV I am kinda maxed out consumption wise.

For road trips a 13" MBP would fit the bill better than an iPad. I'm not denying both would be nice but unfortunately my budget is currently limited.

Doug Dolde
www.douglasdolde.com

I have feeling your still going to get one.
post #61 of 99
My (wife's) mothers' day present is all set. With a nice red leather case too.

And, speaking for myself, I am addicted to my 3G/64. Brilliant device.
post #62 of 99
Oh, and Apple is (incorrigibly) doomed!
post #63 of 99
Much to my amazement, when I took a pause from my vacation last week to stand in line at the Apple Store in San Antonio, I got in line a little after 5pm and was still only the 30th or so back in the line. An Apple employee came down the line getting each buyer's "order" to make sure there was enough stock on hand for everyone in line. My 64GB 3G was confirmed, and I was walking out about 5:50 pm. I would've been out sooner, but the employee's point-of-sale device was having trouble, so I probably could've gotten out of there 10 minutes earlier. I know San Antonio has two Apple Stores, so I may have gotten lucky if the store I went to was less busy than the other store. All I know is that I am glad I decided to bail on my family for a couple hours during our vacation than wait until we got back home. If I had waited I might've wound up on a "notify me" list, going crazy and wearing out circles in the floor.
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions."
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions."
post #64 of 99
5-7 day wait on all models. Wow, saw a report today that the iPad could potentially reach 4 mil. for 2010, Quite amazing,

Couldn't help but notice the 30" Cinema Display has a 5-7 day wait as well. Refresh? or supply constraint?
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Awesome, and here I was scared when my Stock Dashboard widget showed AAPL at $216 today.

Yeah, and I was terrified when it was at $199! wtf!? I'm still not to pleased to have it at $246. Greece stuff aside, I still think something mighty fishy occurred today in the market as a whole
post #66 of 99
Quote:

Yep...each one of these 1,000,000+ iPads is going to be a walking/talking billboard for Apple!

1 in every 330 people in the US have already bought one! In the first 28 days! Amazing.

I experienced a little of what you are talking about where complete strangers would come up and talk to me about the original white iBook G3, and the original iPhone. But I would have to say the most interest I ever got was the original white shuffle...white earbuds with what look like a solid white plastic 'pack' of Wriggley's gum! I can only imagine the impact of the iPad! Enjoy!

Yeah, I got the wifi 32GB at launch and I have never had a reaction to any gadget I've had (and I buy a lot of gadgets) like I've had with the iPad. Not even close. I work in a building with a lot of people and, seriously, the first week they should have just given me an empty office to sit in so people could come in and see it and try it out. I was afraid at one point that I was going to get in trouble for showing the iPad to people when I was supposed to be working. And I love showing it to people, and I'm honest about it's (few) shortcomings, but I am glad everyone has seen it now so I can actually use it instead of just demo'ing it. People I didn't even really know at work would just randomly ask me questions about it. It was a little insane.

That being said, I have seen very few out in the wild (I live in Portland, OR metro area). I've seen a few, but I think a lot of people maybe just keep them at home? I don't really feel comfortable taking mine out on the bus most of the time. I'm still on the fence about selling the wifi one and getting the 3G (whenever it's back in stock).

This week, now that it's been about a month, a lot of people seem to be asking me if I "still" like it. Uh...yeah!
post #67 of 99
My wife and I have been on a long road trip to see kids and grandkids in Florida and Pennsylvania. She's been wanting an e-reader since November and I persuaded her to hold off on a Kindle or Nook in hopes of something better from Apple. Then we held out for the 3G because of its flexibility on the road. We pulled into Ft. Lauderdale about 4 pm Friday and got in line at the Galleria about 4:30, where we were about 75th. Soon there were another hundred in line behind us. On impulse, we got two 64GB 3G instead of just one. Since then our trip has been enriched exponentially. Uses:

1. Been hunting hotels along the way and making confirmed reservations via 3G. Checking our travel award points with one lodging chain and cashing them in for free nights.
2. Checking points of interest, restaurants, etc. before we've gotten into historic places like St. Augustine, Savannah and Colonial Williamsburg.
3. On a scenic drive to Williamsburg this morning, saw a number of historical markers and signs for plantations - checked for more info and background as we went. Wife read me some great stories as I drove.
4. Mapped our travel and options with Google Maps and GPS. Discovered we can stop at Gettysburg tomorrow on our way to Scranton, so have planned out what we want to see in the time available.
5. Wife has downloaded books and says the screen is very good for reading in the car, whether in bright day or darkness.

Considerable stretches of I-95 in South and North Carolina lack 3G coverage, but you can get most of this kind of info in a reasonable time if it's not graphics-intensive. Hotel wifi has been flawless and fast, but I'll disable wifi and stick with 3G to check sensitive info like bank balances or confirm reservations with a credit card. For us, 3G has really turned out the way to go with iPads. Just glad we got ours when we had the chance.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #68 of 99
Quote:

It's funny, but on Craig Ferguson the other night, Drew Cary came on. They were talking and then Drew said he had an iPad, and Craig said "I have one TOO!"

This just keeps happening.

Even the president of Russia has one! Gee! How do you think he managed that?
post #69 of 99
Quote:

A German guy on line with me Friday bought two, one for himself, and one for his wife. It was their last thing to do here before going off to the airport.
post #70 of 99
Meant to post this earlier. This is pretty good, and I think it's happening in a lot of families. This guy is a heavy hitter, so it's interesting:

http://chucksblog.emc.com/chucks_blo...my-family.html
post #71 of 99
For those worried about their APPLE STOCK:

Fear not ! While the meltdown of Greece has been a negative for all, be assured that APPLE is one of the strongest stocks to be in. We all know that the international lauch of the IPAD is coming, the new IPHONE will most probably be announced at the WWDC and other surprises are in store. And lets not forget the revenue from IADS coming soon
post #72 of 99
Mine was an impulse buy as well. Got off work shortly before 5 on Friday. Went to Best Buy to hopefully avoid long lines - only rec'd 4 units (a joke), which were already spoken for. Left there and went down the road to the Apple store where there were probably just over 100 people in line before the doors opened. Got in line where the employees were taking down which version we wanted and giving out free bottled water. People were ushered in a few at a time to handle volume, so about a 1/2 hour later or so I'm in the store and buying a 64GB 3G. Haven't test driven it yet; still waiting on an antiglare screen guard I ordered online from Power Support based on advice that the screen scratches pretty easily (not noticeably but still) and a decent carry case from Incipio's site since no one seems to be stocking good quality accessories yet. Soon as they come in, I'm good to go. Already purchased about $50 in ipad specific apps in preparation. Can't wait, and glad I pulled the trigger from what I've seen about supplies. Didn't think there would be such a shortage considering you could still get wi-fi models weeks after they went on sale. Just didn't see the appeal of the wi-fi model as I don't live in a city where wi-fi is everywhere; nice to have the option of having online connectivity in most cases (AT&T willing of course).
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Looks like that was a trader error according to CNBC.

It was caused by a typo when a trader renamed the company "crapple", but it turns out he was a jealous MS guy who had been waiting breathlessly for the Courier...
post #74 of 99
these waiting lists have been around for an easy 3 weeks.

even the sell outs are old news as many stores were probably out by last Saturday if not sooner (two if my 4 locals were out by 7pm on Friday)
post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

these waiting lists have been around for an easy 3 weeks.

even the sell outs are old news as many stores were probably out by last Saturday if not sooner (two if my 4 locals were out by 7pm on Friday)

That was my thought too. When I read AI's title, I thought "No s**t Sherlock!" (Apple pun intended).
post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I signed up for the list on Sunday and still no notification from Apple that they've come in. I think they didn't make many of the 3G models initially. After the sales of the wifi model, they should have known there would be considerable demand. In short, all those stories of supply problems coming from Taiwan etc. were probably based on a bit of truth.

i think there's another element as well.

International. Those boys got jerked around on their April wifi release because the US grabbed all the supply. I wouldn't be shocked if the warehouses are going 1 to 1 or even 2 to 1 on stockpiling for the world release versus shipping to the US. As nasty as it would be to us in the States who are having to wait, it is a bit of fair play on the folks that got pushed back a whole month on both sets, after already having to wait a month after us on the wifi off the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Apple is really not that great at foreseeing demand.
I live in Europe in a country not on the first-to-go list.

That may be more of a legal issue than a supply issue. Every country has a ton of rules about importing goods, tariffs and even allowed tech. That can make things slow down a bit. It's easier for Apple to do things in the States because they are a US country. Which is a lot of why we get stuff first.
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt2 View Post

Mine was an impulse buy as well. Got off work shortly before 5 on Friday. Went to Best Buy to hopefully avoid long lines - only rec'd 4 units (a joke), which were already spoken for. Left there and went down the road to the Apple store where there were probably just over 100 people in line before the doors opened. Got in line where the employees were taking down which version we wanted and giving out free bottled water. People were ushered in a few at a time to handle volume, so about a 1/2 hour later or so I'm in the store and buying a 64GB 3G. Haven't test driven it yet; still waiting on an antiglare screen guard I ordered online from Power Support based on advice that the screen scratches pretty easily (not noticeably but still) and a decent carry case from Incipio's site since no one seems to be stocking good quality accessories yet. Soon as they come in, I'm good to go. Already purchased about $50 in ipad specific apps in preparation. Can't wait, and glad I pulled the trigger from what I've seen about supplies. Didn't think there would be such a shortage considering you could still get wi-fi models weeks after they went on sale. Just didn't see the appeal of the wi-fi model as I don't live in a city where wi-fi is everywhere; nice to have the option of having online connectivity in most cases (AT&T willing of course).

I don't know where you heard the screen scratches easily, but it's not true.
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You're always a fanboy until you're a girl. Then you're just a girl.

in my group of friends you are a fanboy until you are a girl.

and then you are seriously hot.

these guys have ignored Megan Fox's butt shaking and heaving cleavage to spend two hours griping about the tech 'errors' in both Transformers movies.

And these are not portly nerd types. one guy is a dead ringer for the kid from the Twilight films (you know the sparkly vamp guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranum View Post

An Apple employee came down the line getting each buyer's "order" to make sure there was enough stock on hand for everyone in line.

yeah I noticed that. apparently they had some new app they made that allows them to follow what is selling so they can send off folks that want a model that is out of stock. I thought that was pretty good. nothing sucks more than 3 hours in line to find out that they sold out of that one ten minutes ago.

and as annoying as the wait for your email is, I say it is better than calling every day, driving in traffic for nothing etc.
post #79 of 99
Apple's probably creating a false demand for the iPad.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It would be interesting to have a list and a link of all those infamous predictions and derisions that the "iPad is just a large iPod Touch". Thus, will not resonate with consumers and other target groups and fields.

The greatest mistake many of us make sometimes is that if we think we have no use for something, everyone else must have the same reaction.

I wished TechStud had the balls to accept my challenge.

CGC

I agree. And make this a standard feature for any predictions That would be something new.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists