or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC event sold out in just 8 days

Apple's WWDC event sold out in just 8 days

post #1 of 41
Tickets to Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference have sold out just eight days after the company announced the date and began selling tickets last week.

The conference, held in San Francisco's Moscone West center, can only accommodate around 5,000 attendees. This year, the event's ticket prices rose from $1295 to $1599, and the dates were announced about a month later than the previous year, despite WWDC being scheduled for the same second week of June.

Apple's marketing graphics for WWDC 2010 and scheduled sessions indicate this year's conference will focus on iPhone OS 4, likely delaying any advanced preview of the next version of Mac OS X 10.7.

This year's annual Apple Design Awards will also focus exclusively on iPhone and iPad apps, without even a category for Mac entries. The event's IT track has also been discontinued to focus upon entirely software development.

In addition to releasing iPhone OS 4, Apple is expected to debut the next version of the iPhone at WWDC, with new iChat features supported by a front facing camera.
post #2 of 41
Was it an idiot at the New York Times that said that the WWDC would not attract as many people because of the iPhone theft/leak? Or an idiot from somewhere else?
post #3 of 41
I'd really like Apple to go to a bigger venue for this next year than jacking up the price again. 5000 attendees is too quaint for the popularity of OS X development these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Was it an idiot at the New York Times that said that the WWDC would not attract as many people because of the iPhone theft/leak? Or an idiot from somewhere else?

An idiot, that is certain. One could argue that anyone who pays $1,600 just to see the next iPhone announced on stage is an idiot, but there are certainly reasons for people to do just that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 41
I guess concerns that developers would flee the iPhone OS walled garden in droves, because they can't submit Flash-generated shovelware apps, was exaggerated. Maybe Apple is creating an artificial shortage of WWDC tickets, in order to raise prices and make it appear popular.
post #5 of 41
Wow. That's great! Yet another RELIABLE indicator of Apple's real prosperity, which should far outshine in people's minds all the noise, gossip, FUD, whining, and BS from the press and all the shills posting on these threads.

I'm definitely going next year and will buy my tickets early.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #6 of 41
Apple seriously needs to expand WWDC. The Mac and IT tracks should not have been excluded. I understand that Apple is short on developer resources to develop their products and attend these session as representatives of Apple but with over $40 billion in cash and cool products I'm sure they can hire a bunch more developers etc. I've heard James Gosling and many other Sun employees are looking for a new home as many of them don't like the Oracle culture. Apple should open their arms to them. James would be a huge win to come work at Apple - make him an SVP and if need be create a division around him.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I guess concerns that developers would flee the iPhone OS walled garden in droves, because they can't submit Flash-generated shovelware apps, was exaggerated. Maybe Apple is creating an artificial shortage of WWDC tickets, in order to raise prices and make it appear popular.

Priceless.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #8 of 41
yeah... well...
Jimmy Buffett sells out a couple dozen concerts every year... in a matter of hours.
Steve's got some "catchin' up" to do!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

yeah... well...
Jimmy Buffett sells out a couple dozen concerts every year... in a matter of hours.
Steve's got some "catchin' up" to do!

I know you're joking but let's quantify this. How big are Buffett's venues and how much are the tickets? Both relevant to the speed in which an event could sell out.
post #10 of 41
Well, color me surprised. Perhaps a few early posters to this thread would deem me an "idiot" but I and everyone else who does Mac IT support found ourselves with little interest in WWDC this year due to the complete dedication to iPhone/iPad. So, to me, 8 days certainly is a fast sellout.

Also, I suppose the economy really isn't as bad as the mainsteram media makes it out to be if Apple can sell out such a conference so fast.
post #11 of 41
If tickets are for sale how will they keep the Gizmodo people out?
post #12 of 41
Can't wait. We may know what the iPhone will look like, but there is just so much more I want to know and see about the iPhone OS4 and possible OS 10.7 Is gonna be awesome. (am not going but still very exited)
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Can't wait. We may know what the iPhone will look like, but there is just so much more I want to know and see about the iPhone OS4 and possible OS 10.7 Is gonna be awesome. (am not going but still very exited)

Don't hold your breath on Mac OS 10.7 making in light of day at WWDC this year.
post #14 of 41
Quote:

I'm hoping for other iPhone OS/ARM-based products being announced. Like a new AppleTV or an Apple Home Server.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple seriously needs to expand WWDC. The Mac and IT tracks should not have been excluded. I understand that Apple is short on developer resources to develop their products and attend these session as representatives of Apple but with over $40 billion in cash and cool products I'm sure they can hire a bunch more developers etc. I've heard James Gosling and many other Sun employees are looking for a new home as many of them don't like the Oracle culture. Apple should open their arms to them. James would be a huge win to come work at Apple - make him an SVP and if need be create a division around him.

I'm guessing that with no new info on 10.7 any Mac IT and 10.6 tracks would be redundant and Apple would probably suggest that developers just watch the videos from last year. I'm ok with WWDC 2010 being about iPhone OS 4.0. 10.7 has got to be really good for people to cough up 129 bucks. If Snow Leopard was the "cleaning" of the OS to form the base for the next decade of Mac OS X evolution then 10.7 must be a statement that Apple's not kidding around.

Quote:

I'm pretty pumped about getting a new big OS for my 3Gs. iPhone OS 4 deals with so many of the issues that I've noticed. It's really going to make getting things done so much easier because of the better management. I'll be upgrading right away and I can't wait for 4.0 supporting apps.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm guessing that with no new info on 10.7 any Mac IT and 10.6 tracks would be redundant and Apple would probably suggest that developers just watch the videos from last year.

That's a very astute statement, but I think many will unfortunately see it as Apple not caring about Mac development.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's a very astute statement, but I think many will unfortunately see it as Apple not caring about Mac development.

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to on developer.apple.com. I remember the WWDC videos being for sale (and quite spendy). When I look at the developer site now they mention the videos but no pricing. Are the WWDC videos now free?

At $99 I'm going to sign up for Mac Dev next year. I can't wait to fart around when the 10.7 betas start flowing.

I'm wondering if Apple shouldn't start thinking about splitting WWDC up into iPhone/iPad/Apple TV and a Mac focused session.

I think the reason why they don't want to do this is that Apple engineers don't get anything done for a week or more in preparation for WWDC and with two major conferences that doubles the trouble so to speak.

The benefits would be tremendous though with the detail and specificity that developers would get.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #18 of 41
Quote:

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to on developer.apple.com. I remember the WWDC videos being for sale (and quite spendy). When I look at the developer site now they mention the videos but no pricing. Are the WWDC videos now free?

These videos?
http://developer.apple.com/videos/iphone/
post #19 of 41
Quote:

These videos?
http://developer.apple.com/videos/iphone/

Yeah...they are FREE now?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #20 of 41
Quote:

Yeah...they are FREE now?

Yep. Also, you don't need to be a paid iPhone dev but you need to have a developer account.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Absolutely!
post #22 of 41
I asked my eight year old nephew a couple weeks ago what he would like for his birthday, and his response was, "tickets to this years WWDC!". I just kind of sat there scratching my head, and said "... Is there anything else you might want...?".

Now I have a good excuse ... "I'm sorry but they sold out before I could get one."
post #23 of 41
Everything you need is in the documentation anyway.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

I asked my eight year old nephew a couple weeks ago what he would like for his birthday, and his response was, "tickets to this years WWDC!". I just kind of sat there scratching my head, and said "... Is there anything else you might want...?".

Now I have a good excuse ... "I'm sorry but they sold out before I could get one."

Birthday favors for your nephew don't come easy.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
I know you're joking but let's quantify this. How big are Buffett's venues and how much are the tickets? Both relevant to the speed in which an event could sell out.

I take myself so seriously. *Sounds of crickets chirping.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #26 of 41
The Mac 'exclusion' is somewhat disappointing. But let's face it, 10.7 is probably some ways off if history is anything to go by. And when it crash lands, let's hope it's something special. But Snow Leopard is excellent. She'll keep for a few years yet. And Mac sales are looking after themselves. They're smart, evolved designs that give the user the best 'whole widget' simple, elegant while powerful computer experience in the whole industry. Sure, it's been a while since we've had anything radical...or is it? The iPad is the most radical Mac yet. And it's far better value than the Mini! It even comes with its own screen and keyboard!

...Apple are betting the company on the iPhone 'OS' and the iPad. They don't want to make the same mistake as they did the last time re: 1984 and the Mac. They've got a chance to reach critical mass and stay there in the 3rd Great Age of Computing. It's highly likely that Steve is well aware of the 'Micrsoftonian' threat from Google's phone clone army. Ergo, developer support, pushing the iPhone OS and related hardware to the limits is the priority. And iPhone and iPad sales are nowhere near the zenith of sales either. They've yet to truly explode...and when they do, god knows where the Appel stock is going. Past M$ for a start, I guess.

To be honest. The Mac is old news. There's a computer paradigm shift going on...represented by Steve's new babies...iPhone and iPad. You can kinda see where things are going. The Mac gets to take a back seat? Or like the Lisa before it...has it evolved into something else?

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The Mac 'exclusion' is somewhat disappointing. But let's face it, 10.7 is probably some ways off if history is anything to go by. And when it crash lands, let's hope it's something special. But Snow Leopard is excellent. She'll keep for a few years yet. And Mac sales are looking after themselves. They're smart, evolved designs that give the user the best 'whole widget' simple, elegant while powerful computer experience in the whole industry. Sure, it's been a while since we've had anything radical...or is it? The iPad is the most radical Mac yet. And it's far better value than the Mini! It even comes with its own screen and keyboard!

...Apple are betting the company on the iPhone 'OS' and the iPad. They don't want to make the same mistake as they did the last time re: 1984 and the Mac. They've got a chance to reach critical mass and stay there in the 3rd Great Age of Computing. It's highly likely that Steve is well aware of the 'Micrsoftonian' threat from Google's phone clone army. Ergo, developer support, pushing the iPhone OS and related hardware to the limits is the priority. And iPhone and iPad sales are nowhere near the zenith of sales either. They've yet to truly explode...and when they do, god knows where the Appel stock is going. Past M$ for a start, I guess.

To be honest. The Mac is old news. There's a computer paradigm shift going on...represented by Steve's new babies...iPhone and iPad. You can kinda see where things are going. The Mac gets to take a back seat? Or like the Lisa before it...has it evolved into something else?

Lemon Bon Bon.

At last, someone (else) with some clear vision!

It's obvious to me, too, that WWDC is the time and place to turn up the heat on promoting iPhone OS. It's a really golden opportunity which at least most of the attendees must recognize, as well.

I'm not concerned about the viability of Mac OS X, as evidenced by Snow Leopard and the rumored new Mac Pro's. That "spinning plate" will keep spinning nicely on its own for a while.

This is Apple's chance to cultivate its iPhone OS "garden" of developers which it needs, the choicest fruits from which will significantly fuel the adoption of iPhone OS products well in advance of any potential competition--hopefully in important areas of enterprise, corporate, government, education, etc.

I don't think there's any danger of Mac cannibalization, as iPhone OS products were designed to complement, not replace them. If anything, there will be even more of a halo effect from iPhone OS products to BOLSTER future Mac sales.

This kind of bold, industry-if-not-Earth-shattering strategical planning is possible ONLY with the inspired leadership of Steve Jobs. It takes an individual such as him with vision and drive and big brass cojones to pull it off and drive and direct a large company's concerted team efforts over the long term.

Long live Steve Jobs! Hip, hip, hooray!

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #28 of 41
But I thought developers were angry at Apple and were sick of their walled garden?

At least that's what the experts on AppleInsider told me.
post #29 of 41
Quote:

I take myself so seriously. *Sounds of crickets chirping.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Looks like Buffets 2010 tour is around 25 dates, the site only lists future dates so I am estimating based on the number per month for the summer. I checked two venues both seat 25,000. If all sites have this capacity that would be a total of 625,000 tickets. At one of the venues the tickets range form $305 to $52, So if we make a guess of $100 average (more cheap tickets) that gives a total take for the season of $62,500,000. The ADC maxs at $1599 and 5000 seats for a total of $7,995,000. so Jimmy's appearance fees are about 10X greater, but Steve's total take is a lot lot more.
post #30 of 41
Quote:

Yep. Also, you don't need to be a paid iPhone dev but you need to have a developer account.

Not for all of them.
Quote:
You must be registered as an Apple Developer to download the full version of the Essentials videos. The full version of the Advanced videos and iPhone Developer Forums are available to members of the iPhone Developer Program.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But I thought developers were angry at Apple and were sick of their walled garden?

At least that's what the experts on AppleInsider told me.

Not Mac developers.
post #32 of 41
But, but, but........

I thought no Flash was going to keep the developers away in droves!
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

But, but, but........

No one keeps scorecards for the pundits.

Mac sales are going to do find. I do believe in a "Halo" of sort for Macs. Apple continues to broaden the scope of OS X technologies across both OS. We now have Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL on the iPhone meaning that if you're a Mac developer the same principals (and code) can be utilized on iPhone OS.

By iPhone OS 5 and beyond we may see so much sharing between Mac OS X and iPhone OS that those iPhone developers that wish to make Mac applications would simply need to run their iPhone through Xcode and have most of the work done for them save for the interface work and other specific to the platform features.

If Apple creates the ability to easily create Mac apps from iPhone apps they create an instant bonanza for the Mac and this will certainly keep the Mac strong. So I look at the iPhone/iPad success as being something that could and should benefit the Mac as well.

Update:

I see someone has already started work on just such a thing.

UMEKit takes iPhone apps to Mac

- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #34 of 41
Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon.

The iPhone OS and devices are the "new thing" Jobs said he would move to after he "milked the Mac for all it was worth", which is what he said he would do when asked about it if he ever came back to Apple shortly after their problems began.

So I'm surprised that people don't see this happening. I doubt that he's going to leave the tens of billions the Mac represents on the table, but it's pretty clear that the over, and still climbing 1 billion cell phone sales a year, is something that Jobs sees Apple can move into in a big way. While Apple may never get to 10% worldwide computer sales (though they might), 10% worldwide cell phone sales are surely possible. At 100 million phones a year, at an average of $500 per phone, that's $50 billion a year, or almost as much as Apple's total sales will be this fiscal year, and that's already including a big chunk of phone revenue. Now, include iPod Touch and iPad sales, and we could be talking $70 to 80 billion a year in a few years just for iPhone OS segments. Then there's the App Store, iADs, iTunes music, Tv, and movies,etc.
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

But, but, but........

Well, I suppose if Apple went to a venue with 50,000 seats, they wouldn't be filled. Then it could be said.
post #36 of 41
If they want to keep the WWDC limited to 5000 participants, they should stream the sessions (doesn't necessarily have to be live) and permit people to participate remotely at much lower cost (or even free). When it comes down to it (I know there are several different tracks, but) why do you have to be there if you're just sitting in a large session room staring at a tiny figure on stage and a large screen where the real action is.

Also, it's probably time to have two separate conferences per year, one for the Mac OS and one for the iPhone/iPad OS. Just because there's nothing completely new for the Mac OS this year doesn't mean that developers don't need help or can't learn something new about the existing OS.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Also, it's probably time to have two separate conferences per year, one for the Mac OS and one for the iPhone/iPad OS. Just because there's nothing completely new for the Mac OS this year doesn't mean that developers don't need help or can't learn something new about the existing OS.

It may come down to that.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Don't hold your breath on Mac OS 10.7 making in light of day at WWDC this year.

Maybe now I know how Apple II developers must have felt as Macintosh took over the Apple world.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Mac sales are going to do find. I do believe in a "Halo" of sort for Macs. Apple continues to broaden the scope of OS X technologies across both OS. We now have Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL on the iPhone meaning that if you're a Mac developer the same principals (and code) can be utilized on iPhone OS.

By iPhone OS 5 and beyond we may see so much sharing between Mac OS X and iPhone OS that those iPhone developers that wish to make Mac applications would simply need to run their iPhone through Xcode and have most of the work done for them save for the interface work and other specific to the platform features.

If Apple creates the ability to easily create Mac apps from iPhone apps they create an instant bonanza for the Mac and this will certainly keep the Mac strong. So I look at the iPhone/iPad success as being something that could and should benefit the Mac as well.

Update:

I see someone has already started work on just such a thing.

UMEKit takes iPhone apps to Mac

Good catch, Hmurchison.

It was only a matter of time? Hey, does this now boost the Mac's software portfolio by 200k apps?

:O

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #40 of 41
Quote:
The iPhone OS and devices are the "new thing" Jobs said he would move to after he "milked the Mac for all it was worth", which is what he said he would do when asked about it if he ever came back to Apple shortly after their problems began.

So I'm surprised that people don't see this happening. I doubt that he's going to leave the tens of billions the Mac represents on the table, but it's pretty clear that the over, and still climbing 1 billion cell phone sales a year, is something that Jobs sees Apple can move into in a big way. While Apple may never get to 10% worldwide computer sales (though they might), 10% worldwide cell phone sales are surely possible. At 100 million phones a year, at an average of $500 per phone, that's $50 billion a year, or almost as much as Apple's total sales will be this fiscal year, and that's already including a big chunk of phone revenue. Now, include iPod Touch and iPad sales, and we could be talking $70 to 80 billion a year in a few years just for iPhone OS segments. Then there's the App Store, iADs, iTunes music, Tv, and movies,etc.

Word. *Nods.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC event sold out in just 8 days