or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28

post #1 of 136
Thread Starter 
The iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. on Friday, May 28, Apple has announced [Updated with pricing].

Preorders for all iPad models, including both 3G and Wi-Fi, will begin next Monday, May 10. The international launch was previously delayed due to strong demand for the iPad in the U.S. The international iPad launch was originally scheduled for late April.

Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Update: Apple updated its press releases with international pricing for the iPad:

Wi-Fi-only iPad:
16GB - €479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian
32GB - €579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian
64GB - €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian
Wi-Fi + 3G iPad
16GB - €579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian
32GB - €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian
64GB - €779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian
Apple has already sold more than a million iPads in the U.S. over its first 28 days of availability, selling 300,000 on its first day alone. The Wi-Fi iPad launched on April 3, while the iPad 3G launched a week ago, on April 30.

Since the iPad 3G launched, Apple's U.S. retail stores have been sold out, while availability of the Wi-Fi model has been limited. Stores have resorted to adding customers to a "Notify Me" waiting list, which will give them first priority when new shipments arrive.

The first iPad customers have downloaded more than 12 million apps from the App Store, as well as more than 1.5 million e-books from the new iBookstore. The device runs 200,000 applications available on the App Store, including more than 5,000 created specifically for the device's 9.7-inch touchscreen display.
post #2 of 136
FINALLY some information!
now we'll just need the prices..but i guess i can wait another few days for that..
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
Reply
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
Reply
post #3 of 136
All I can say to Apple is 'build baby build.'
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #4 of 136
Poor Ireland.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #5 of 136
Apple can't even keep up with the demand in the us and will launch in 9 more countries on the 28th. Just doesn't seem too make much since!
post #6 of 136
Oh for Christ's sake. I need one sooner that that.
Right thats it I'm gonna have to ship one over from the US.
post #7 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrank View Post

Apple can't even keep up with the demand in the us and will launch in 9 more countries on the 28th. Just doesn't seem too make much since!

There is widespread speculation that Apple's US supply problems are partly due to stockpiling for the international launch. I'm not sure how credible that is, but it has to launch sometime outside the US; they've been waiting long enough.
post #8 of 136
Good thing! I already have the wi-fi but I wonder if I should buy the 3g. Did Rogers announced 3g pricing in Canada?

And this will ease off demand in the US has lots of units are going out of the US on ebay and by tourists.
post #9 of 136
Oh, man. What can I say. The best I can hope for is they launch it here when they introduce the second gen.
post #10 of 136
I'm keen to know the prices.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Greeks spunking all their borrowed money up against a wall, and the uncertainty created by the UK's idiot electorate, the Pound has dived even further against the Dollar.

Cue horribly expensive iPads for us Brits. I should have got someone for our New York office to buy me one last month while my currency was still worth something. Bah...
post #11 of 136
I have read that prices in Spain will be:

WiFi: 16GB -> 479
32 GB -> 579
64GB -> 679

3G: 16GB -> 579
32 GB -> 679
64GB -> 779
post #12 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Oh, man. What can I say. The best I can hope for is they launch it here when they introduce the second gen.

You should have bought one from the states like us other Norwegians. Getting mine on Sunday
post #13 of 136
July, wow.

I'll have to wait. The upside is that the device is thoroughly field tested by then.
post #14 of 136
Pricing -

Europe:

16GB WiFi-only €479
32GB WiFi-only €579
64GB WiFi-only €679
16GB WiFi+3G €579
32GB WiFi+3G €679
64GB WiFi+3G €779

UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429
32GB WiFi-only £499
64GB WiFi-only £599
16GB WiFi+3G £529
32GB WiFi+3G £599
64GB WiFi+3G £699
post #15 of 136
So waiting for generation two then..... no reason to buy generation one when it will arrive later than July....

Hopefully we will get next generation iPhone before 2015.

And yes, that was an exaggeration.
post #16 of 136
iPad Pricing in Australia

http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Wi-Fi
16GB - AUS$629 inc GST
32GB - AUS$759 inc GST
64GB - AUS$879 inc GST

Wi-Fi +3G
16GB - AUS$799 inc GST
32GB - AUS$928 inc GST
64GB - AUS$1049 inc GST
post #17 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429
32GB WiFi-only £499
64GB WiFi-only £599
16GB WiFi+3G £529
32GB WiFi+3G £599
64GB WiFi+3G £699

Is that official? There's been a lot of speculation that the basic model would be £389.

Not that it matters to me. I'm definitely going to wait for the 2nd generation model.
post #18 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh for Christ's sake. I need one sooner that that.
Right thats it I'm gonna have to ship one over from the US.

And you'll still pay a lot less even after import taxes. I'm still waiting for pricing info ("infos") in Switzerland. Bet it's at least 150% the US price.
post #19 of 136
Was in Florida last week and walked past someone that had an iPad out. Being a total geek asked to take a look at it. Was very impressed but did not get a chance to hold it and play with it myself. It was the 3G model and the guy had rec'd it right before his vacation and was forbidden to take it. He had to sneak out to use it

Crossing the border the Canadian border guard asked the usual questions but ended with "did you buy a new iPad?". Said no but had taken a look at one. My wife mentioned that a friend of hers flew in from NY 2 week earlier and had been asked the same questions (she had in fact purchased one).

If the customs agents are asking you if you bought one must mean they are pouring over the border like crazy...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply
post #20 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

And you'll still pay a lot less even after import taxes. I'm still waiting for pricing info ("infos") in Switzerland. Bet it's at least 150% the US price.

Prices in Switzerland will be approx. 750.- Swiss Francs for the basic 3G Model (considered the Euro price in Germany). So this would be a good deal (at least for me!). Unfortunately there is no Apple store (yet) in Basle (there will be by 2012).
post #21 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Was in Florida last week and walked past someone that had an iPad out. Being a total geek asked to take a look at it. Was very impressed but did not get a chance to hold it and play with it myself. It was the 3G model and the guy had rec'd it right before his vacation and was forbidden to take it. He had to sneak out to use it

Crossing the border the Canadian border guard asked the usual questions but ended with "did you buy a new iPad?". Said no but had taken a look at one. My wife mentioned that a friend of hers flew in from NY 2 week earlier and had been asked the same questions (she had in fact purchased one).

If the customs agents are asking you if you bought one must mean they are pouring over the border like crazy...

If you go to the US for more than 7 days you may used your up to CAN$750 worth of goods personnal deduction so you wont pay taxes on it. I declared mine and had to pay GST and PST on it, which is around 14%. I am going to Florida for 3 weeks this summer, I may do just that if I buy another one.

Still waiting on AppleCanada to release prices
post #22 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzas76 View Post

iPad Pricing in Australia

http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Wi-Fi
16GB - AUS$629 inc GST
32GB - AUS$759 inc GST
64GB - AUS$879 inc GST

Wi-Fi +3G
16GB - AUS$799 inc GST
32GB - AUS$928 inc GST
64GB - AUS$1049 inc GST

In order to simplify comparisons to the US prices, may I suggest that prices be converted to US$ less any taxes.

For example, according to your posting, the 16GB model in Australia is equivalent to $510 US.

$629 Aust = $561 US less 10% GST = Net $510 US

post #23 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you go to the US for more than 7 days you may used your up to CAN$750 worth of goods personnal deduction so you wont pay taxes on it. I declared mine and had to pay GST and PST on it, which is around 14%. I am going to Florida for 3 weeks this summer, I may do just that if I buy another one.

Still waiting on AppleCanada to release prices

They already did. Just read the Canadian press release.

Here: http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Prices:


16GB: Wi-Fi $CAD549, 3G $CAD679;
32GB: Wi-Fi $CAD649, 3G $CAD779;
64GB: Wi-Fi $CAD749, 3G $CAD879.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply
post #24 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is that official? There's been a lot of speculation that the basic model would be £389.

Not that it matters to me. I'm definitely going to wait for the 2nd generation model.

Yes it is official :-

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

What is interesting is this statement :-

"The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store on May 28th."

Now I thought it might be a typo as the iPad page in the UK still does not mention iBooks, so I contacted the Apple press office and they confirmed that the statement is correct.
So it looks like they have managed to set up some UK publisher deals......
post #25 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

Pricing -
UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429
32GB WiFi-only £499
64GB WiFi-only £599
16GB WiFi+3G £529
32GB WiFi+3G £599
64GB WiFi+3G £699

Hmmm, only 30 quid more than I initially predicted (when FX was more favourable to the UK). So, not too bad.

Now, the question for me is, do I go for the WiFi only 32GB and jailbreak my iPhone and use MyWi, or the 16GB 3G, and carry fewer vids and photos. Or, option 3, lie to my wife about how much I spent!

Ah, decisions
post #26 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

They already did. Just read the Canadian press release.

Here: http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Prices:


16GB: Wi-Fi $CAD549, 3G $CAD679;
32GB: Wi-Fi $CAD649, 3G $CAD779;
64GB: Wi-Fi $CAD749, 3G $CAD879.

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!
post #27 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!

The problem is the exchange rates are fluctuating so much. Just yesterday, the rate was 95¢.
post #28 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Good thing! I already have the wi-fi but I wonder if I should buy the 3g. Did Rogers announced 3g pricing in Canada?

And this will ease off demand in the US has lots of units are going out of the US on ebay and by tourists.

Right up to this moment, No. http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/ipad...om-end-of-may/

I have their site bookmarked: http://redboard.rogers.com/
post #29 of 136
Fifty dollar markup on Canadian prices, huh? Is it still the nineties? My mistake if it is. Someone please tell me so I know to pick up a 9600 before I leave for my own timeline.
post #30 of 136
whoaa.... NO HK?!?!?!?! Cannot believe it!!!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #31 of 136
It's good they were able to work out book publishing rights in most of those countries. The books are one of the main features imho.
post #32 of 136
You can't just use exchange rates to compare prices. Different countries have different sales taxes and different operating costs (e.g. Apple Store staff might be more expensive)
post #33 of 136
Thailand is not even on the list yet...looks like I'm going to have to go get it in Australia
post #34 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!

It's a bargain! Apple knows it'll cost you more than 10% extra to drive over to the US, buy it here, declare it at Canadian customs, and pay the duty!
post #35 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

In order to simplify comparisons to the US prices, may I suggest that prices be converted to US$ less any taxes.

For example, according to your posting, the 16GB model in Australia is equivalent to $510 US.

$629 Aust = $561 US less 10% GST = Net $510 US


Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!

Read up everyone, Onhka explained this. Prices in the U.S. do not reflect sales taxes, which vary by state, county and even city. Prices in other countries include VAT or other form of national consumption tax.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You can't just use exchange rates to compare prices. Different countries have different sales taxes and different operating costs (e.g. Apple Store staff might be more expensive)

So, my thinking is, buy a US 32 GB 3G for $729 before tax. Avoid the tax somehow (I believe you can do this buying online somehow -- happy to be educated by our US friends here); and ship to my company's NY offices. Get friendly colleague to pop iPad in the 'internal' mail and have it shipped over.

Worst case scenario, it'll be picked up by UK Customs and I'll have to pay VAT on it (at some notional base price they come up with). No import duty to pay, 'cos certain wireless devices are (for some reason) exempt.

So, I reckon it'd cost me somewhere between £500 and £550; as opposed to the £599 it would cost me in the UK. Not massively cheaper, but not to be sniffed at.
post #37 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

So, my thinking is, buy a US 32 GB 3G for $729 before tax. Avoid the tax somehow (I believe you can do this buying online somehow -- happy to be educated by our US friends here); and ship to my company's NY offices. Get friendly colleague to pop iPad in the 'internal' mail and have it shipped over.

Worst case scenario, it'll be picked up by UK Customs and I'll have to pay VAT on it (at some notional base price they come up with). No import duty to pay, 'cos certain wireless devices are (for some reason) exempt.

So, I reckon it'd cost me somewhere between £500 and £550; as opposed to the £599 it would cost me in the UK. Not massively cheaper, but not to be sniffed at.

You will pay sales taxes in New York at point of sale, so subtract 8-10% from your "savings."

Probably someone from NY knows their state's exact sales tax rate.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #38 of 136
Be interesting to see what the prices here in Japan will be.
post #39 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Read up everyone, Onhka explained this. Prices in the U.S. do not reflect sales taxes, which vary by state, county and even city. Prices in other countries include VAT or other form of national consumption tax.

so wtf good is the free trade agreement if we pay international tax anyway

Softwood Lumber all over again!

(insert Hardwood Lumber joke here)

edit: they are made in China anyway, which is what rips me off.
post #40 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!

Okay but is VAT included in Canadian pricing? In Australia for example, all taxes are covered in the price, which makes the 16GB Australian model about parity with the US model (if the US price isn't allowing for taxes).

Best.

(Just noted further discussion of this!)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28