or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Mobile Site issues.

Mobile Site issues.

Poll Results: Please edit the mobile site so header/footer don't impede readability

• 97% (126)
    Agree
  • 2% (3)
    Disagree
129 Total Votes  
post #1 of 32
Please alter the mobile site so that the floating header and footer are static to the top and bottom of the mobile page, not to the display area as it removes what little reading space there is on a 3.5" display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #2 of 32
I meant to say this for a long, long time, but I always put it off for some reason, this will gain more votes than please add anti glare to the imac macbook pro 13" polls, haha.
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

... this will gain more votes than please add anti glare to the imac macbook pro 13" polls, haha.

This isn't a Bill so adding "pork" won't help.
post #4 of 32
I do about 85% of my AI browsing on the iPhone now, and I never use the mobile site.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #5 of 32
I like the mobile/iphone site. Works fine for me and in fact I would say it is one of best iphone versions of a web sites.
post #6 of 32
Yes, please get rid of the top and bottom bars. Have them come up when double-tapped, or something like that. They drive me nuts, and I actually go to Macworld or MacDailyNews instead just because of that.

Please change it.
post #7 of 32
the mobile iPhone version sucks - it infuriates me when scrolling a web page - I can't be bothered to click use full site every single time I browse to your site on my iPhone - can't you just use a cookie or something to remember my choice.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
post #8 of 32
Thanks for starting this thread. The toolbars on the iphone site are really annoying!

Switching to the standard site is not really a solution, it's way too big (hundreds of kB) and its table layout slows everything down.

AI is great, and I keep coming back because of the content, even if it's annoying at times to deal with the presentation. BTW, why is the forum link at the top in two different places depending on where you are on the site?
post #9 of 32
The overlay seems to have been built to let you switch pages quickly without scrolling all the way down a long article but since the iPhone lets you scroll quickly to the top, all of the controls could go there and be fixed. It could simply be the bar that's there already but with 6 or 7 buttons like the ai logo button and would be:

ai>ai full>headlines>iPhone blog>Mac blog>search> arrow to page 2 (links could be at the bottom too)

It could be just icons or shorten the words and the search box could just appear when you press the button.

The forum part could certainly use an iPhone specific style that gets rid of the left column and puts names above the posts. Also, since scrolling is an issue, a fixed div on the right that has links to anchors for each post so you can jump through each post in a page quickly and perhaps have the first 3 or 4 characters of the poster name so that you can see the conversation order. Like this:

Remove/hide signatures to keep the scrolling down, change all embedded images to links. The reply buttons would still be at the bottom of each post to reply to one post, I forgot to put them in. There would also be the text zoom buttons like on the iPhone news site to change the text font size inside the layout to save zooming and scrolling.

If you choose thread tools an printed mode, it's a better layout for the iPhone but has no coloring. The square buttons in the image would probably be better as vertical tabs and write the names using css rotation.
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

the mobile iPhone version sucks - it infuriates me when scrolling a web page - I can't be bothered to click use full site every single time I browse to your site on my iPhone - can't you just use a cookie or something to remember my choice.

Set a bookmark in mobile safari to www.appleinsider.com/?aiSite=full and then everytime you want to go to AI just open the bookmark and it automatically loads the full site... Thats what I do, havent had to deal with that mess for a while now
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please alter the mobile site so that the floating header and footer are static to the top and bottom of the mobile page, not to the display area as it removes what little reading space there is on a 3.5" display.

Wow solipsism, you're a busy bee on this site, with a 5 digit number of posts. And all your knowledgeable replies and insights; now even a poll.

Couldn't agree more on getting rid of the appearing and disappearing of the toolbars. And when I tap on comments to read, yeah, the comments, I get the full site. Don't exactly understand why AI has created the mobile site the way it is. Oh well, I'll just wait till I get home to read the full site on my Mac.

Thanks 4 setting up this poll! Hope AI will follow up on this.

Cheers,
Phil
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #12 of 32
I actually agree. Lol. But like the number 3, so there.
It doesn't really impede anyway as your eyes can only see so much.
post #13 of 32
Yes AI,

If you are really polling for user opinions; the header and footers are far too great an obstruction. And the way that they vanish and reappear every time you scroll (which is every two seconds, since there is only room for a couple lines of text) makes me physically nauseous.
A tap to bring them up; a tap to make them vanish. This is the way to go.

Love you.
post #14 of 32
Honestly - do you really need a poll to decide if the floating nav is utterly retarded? I would have started a poll about this long ago - but given the fact the current design of Appleinsider has been rotting for 7 or 8 years now without a refresh led me to believe management didn't care how the site looked anyway.
post #15 of 32
AI on the iPhone sucks even more when you're browsing on any number os RSS readers.

Please kill it with fire and never allow anyone to ever speak of it again.
post #16 of 32
Agreed. I wont even use the mobile version of the site due to ridiculous header and footer. Please remove these distracting elements.
post #17 of 32
Totally agree to remove the banners along the top/bottom

Nothing pisses a person off more when you are taken to a so called "Streamlined" version of a website....

All mobile websites that I have encountered SuCk the big one
post #18 of 32
I fracking hate the floating header. My iPhone is small enough and it covers like 20% of the screen text!

Can't they make it appear or disappear with a long touch like in and app? If not, find a way!
post #19 of 32
I figured most would agree with my position, but this amazing. 97%
post #20 of 32
i have to agree i have gone to other sites just to not have to deal with them stupid headers. or change it back to full site mode. worse idea since electing george bush
post #21 of 32
Not one forum moderator has voted. They either like the floating header/footers or this poll is more controversial than I thought.
post #22 of 32
Quote:

Not one forum moderator has voted. They either like the floating header/footers or this poll is more controversial than I thought.

I personally don't really use the mobile site and while I think the floating items would be better static, I can see why they are there and do make navigation quicker on long articles so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Maybe if the navigation buttons were condensed into a single bar at the top and it never disappeared, that might make it easier. I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally don't really use the mobile site and while I think the floating items would be better static, I can see why they are there and do make navigation quicker on long articles so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Maybe if the navigation buttons were condensed into a single bar at the top and it never disappeared, that might make it easier. I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.

While having it on there at all when tapping the Menu Bar takes you immediately to the top and screen real estate is important, the real issue seems to be from the way it works. If they made the header and foot static to the page and the body of the page scroll between it then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. However, they disappears when you touch the screen and only appear when you let go with the text directly behind it which means you have to estimate where they start and stop to get the text you haven't read at the top of the readable body when you let ago and they reappear.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.

I heard AI subcontracted the development of the mobile site to MS!

That said, they way it is right now is good exercise for the fingers, isometric exercise, by having a finger stay fixed on the phone to prevent those dreadful bars from popping up.
post #25 of 32
The bars are annoying. But so is having to tap the title bar to move to the top to refresh any webpage. Is there any other way to do that in iPhone safari? Like a shake to refresh type feature?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #26 of 32
Voted to Agree, even though I haven't seen it.

If enough people like both versions, then there should a option in the app preferences for either.

I only wish anti/glare prone screens could be as easy.
post #27 of 32
Thank you for making the mobile site more usable. As my only WebClip icon on my iPhone it's very much appreciated.
post #28 of 32
Quote:

Thank you for making the mobile site more usable. As my only WebClip icon on my iPhone it's very much appreciated.

Wow! They modified the iPhone version of AppleInsider.com! Solipsism, U R the MAN!

Thanks 4 starting this poll Solipsism. And thanQ 2 Apple Insider!

Cheers,
PhilBoogie
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow! They modified the iPhone version of AppleInsider.com! Solipsism, U R the MAN!

Thanks 4 starting this poll Solipsism. And thanQ 2 Apple Insider!

Cheers,
PhilBoogie

I appreciate that but there is no evidence that this poll was the catalyst for the change. They may have been in the process of changing it prior to this poll, but at the very least it didn't hurt to start it.
post #30 of 32
I asked about creating an iPhone-friendly forum format last year but it fell on deaf ears.
post #31 of 32
FYI to site admins.

The mobile site is incorrectly parsing the link to the forums.

It shows: http://iphone.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=xxxxxxx

When it should show: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=xxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I asked about creating an iPhone-friendly forum format last year but it fell on deaf ears.

I don't think it fell on deaf ears, I think it's just a must larger undertaking to perform. They use vBulletin for the forums and I don't think they yet offer a mobile site optimized page.
post #32 of 32
Quote:

I don't think it fell on deaf ears, I think it's just a must larger undertaking to perform. They use vBulletin for the forums and I don't think they yet offer a mobile site optimized page.

All they'd have to do is enable the builtin themes feature that vBulletin has then find one of the iPhone-friendly themes that already exist.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Mobile Site issues.