or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama: iPad, Xbox Threat to Democracy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama: iPad, Xbox Threat to Democracy

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
The socialist is loosing his mind:

Obama: iPad, Xbox Turn Information Into A 'Distraction'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_569289.html
Obama said, the era of iPads and Xboxes had turned information into a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy.

Glad to hear the leader of the free world can't even operate an iPod!

Obama's Supermarket-Scanner Moment: I Don't Know How To Work an iPod
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-fi...#ixzz0nU28zsQA
With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work....
post #2 of 44
Who cares if he knows how to work an ipod?

And I agree with him. Can you please try to re-butt him without turning his point into a soundbyte first? The information we get is a joke, the news is a joke in particular. He is correct, you just tried to twist his point to make him sound ridiculous.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #3 of 44
This really all boils down to the Rush Limbaugh's, Fox News etc and other nonsensical right wing outlets spewing hyped misinformation to gain viewers and pander to corporations. The left are guilty too, just on an order of magnitude less than the right. It's not always a bad thing though, especially given how ignorant, stupid and superficial so many people are. Keep them consumed, angry and ignorant and that keeps them out of the way, at least in a meaningful level of engagement. I suspect that's what Obama was warning about.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #4 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

He is correct, you just tried to twist his point to make him sound ridiculous.

I don't have to twist his words to make him sound ridiculous... he does a good job of that every time he speaks... The speech I cited was his address to graduates at Hampton University where he ridiculously claimed that "information becomes a distraction, a diversion"... That's absurd. This is the same guy whose campaign advertised on Xbox and who pioneered PDA instant messaging for his election...

The argument that more information is harmful to democracy is asinine... a theory that media is putting “pressure” on our democracy is absurd. What Obama is saying here is that Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength... if you agree with that you should ask yourself why...
post #5 of 44
We used to get much better information, when people like Cronkite ran the news. The information we get now is crap - just look at Fox News and CNBC as examples, every time I tune in, what they are saying is total BS.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #6 of 44
While I'm not really agreeing to silly points like getting the new from Cronkite being better than what we have now, I can see some truth to what President Obama is saying but his attempt to understand and deal with it is just wrong and misguided.

I think this is Obama's Boomerism showing in a bad way but he can't help it and I can't blame him. We all get trapped by time in a fashion. He grew up in a time where the media market was small enough that you honestly thought you would get to see every great movie, read every great book and see every great television show and even have time to spare. You could feel like you are on top of things.

Today we know that is completely impossible. There will be movies, music groups, books, etc that you will not only never see, but even know about. We're not talking about foreign language, or imports or whatever. There's simply too much out there.

That however doesn't make it crap or bad, just too much depending upon when you were born and how you'll process such things.

Younger kids, and by that, yes I mean younger than me, deal with this information in a much more real time manner. They have even better bullshit detectors in my opinion. My own son, who is a whole ten years old walked out of the Chipmunks 2 and noted that it felt like it was just about making money and wasn't at all impressed with the storyline of Ironman 2.

When you look at the number of what I call 'inputs' these kids deal with in a typical week or month it is in the thousands. They carry around more music on their iPods at 6 years old than likely you or I owned or stole for the entire first twenty years of our lives. They seem to float and flow much more with things. Information is temporary. It has a half-life and decays. They deal with it and move on.

Information used to feel like it had permanence to it. Even pop culture felt like it should have permanence but it doesn't. It isn't that the information is crap so much as you can create endless fluff around it and even when you do, it decays and dies quickly. How can President Obama, a great piece of information himself go from historic to mundane so quickly as an example?

I really love their sense of humor though. This next generation is so smart about meta information. They are so aware that everything is a show or presentation and can see right through it. They play with this, manipulation for lack of a better word, like it is a toy. We see shows like the Daily Show, South Park, and so on that poke fun at norms and the fear for older folks has to be seeing how younger kids just understand everything around the whole process.

I see stuff like this and to me it is just amazing.


This group understands every music swell, every camera angle, how the light is played with, all the elements and when a group does that, if you are about control or power, it's got to terrify you because you have to ask yourself, how do you ever get a lever on that group?

You take a hit video from a pop performer that people are tossing all sorts of hyperbole at....


The guys down at the local college turn it into a bit of fun fully understood at a meta information level.


Someone on YouTube's going to give you the hints to that make up a week after it drops.


Before you're aware it exists, this generation has already consumed, digested and spit it out.

So information can be a diversion for them. However they process information at speeds and from an array of inputs that older generations cannot even fathom. It isn't going to be a problem for them. It will be a problem for any generation that thinks they will fool, spin or manipulate them into doing something for very long though. Just my thoughts and two cents.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

I don't have to twist his words to make him sound ridiculous... he does a good job of that every time he speaks... The speech I cited was his address to graduates at Hampton University where he ridiculously claimed that "information becomes a distraction, a diversion"... That's absurd.

Why is it absurd?

Most thinking people would agree with this statement. I suppose you have a right to disagree with it even if you can't articulate why or provide any reasoned argument.

And in a way that's what it boils down to: two sides - one thinking and reaching a conclusion (not necessarily a correct one but a conclusion) and others knee-jerking.

People will just have to decide which side they are on. Most likely those more into analytical consideration probably won't group themselves with those whose considered opinion is that Obama is a socialist.

But to address the point: information becomes a diversion in the context he discusses for two reasons:

1) It is out of context - placed in a milieu where 'News' has to be packaged in small soundbites where no deep consideration can be given.

This is the point actually - so NO deep consideration can be gone into.

2) It is 'pared down' to such an extent that it provides no information whatsoever. ANYTHING packaged in this way can ONLY become a diversion. because there is nothing to consider - it is too light.

With respect, your attitude is actually a classic example of the result of the process - everything is reduced the othe most simplified lowest common denominator: partisanship.

Obama is 'a socialist' and that's all you need to know. On to the next soundbite.

It is impossible to put an argument as to WHY he is a socialist - he must be one because you oppose him

In the Cronkite era people were capable of listening to hours of debate, contributing to the argument and THEN deciding someone was a socialist.

All that has happened is that the whole process of the ourney has been removed and all we have is the end result.

Most thinking people on any side of the political spectrum don't need explanations at to why this is 'a bad thing'.

Quote:
This is the same guy whose campaign advertised on Xbox and who pioneered PDA instant messaging for his election...

So what? He's a hypocrite.

Why does that make his statement incorrect?

Can only non-hypocrites make statements that happen to be factually correct?

Quote:
The argument that more information is harmful to democracy is asinine...

You don't get it do you?

The whole point is we are getting LESS information.

And no-one said anything about it being harmful to democracy.

Quote:
a theory that media is putting pressure on our democracy is absurd.

And yet it is purely your own invention in this case...

Quote:
What Obama is saying here is that Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength... if you agree with that you should ask yourself why...

Except he isn't saying it.

But I have no doubt he probably thinks it because he is part of the System.

And I disagree with it. And I know why. Because I am a rabid left-wing radical.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #8 of 44
What I find ironic is that Obama says these things and yet is an enthusiastic consumer of our times most irrelevant distraction ... sports!

As usual for Obama he's all for the information age when it cuts his way and gets him elected. Now that his numbers are down he's flipped to the other side. Try not to be too obvious Barack.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

What I find ironic is that Obama says these things and yet is an enthusiastic consumer of our times most irrelevant distraction ... sports!

As usual for Obama he's all for the information age when it cuts his way and gets him elected. Now that his numbers are down he's flipped to the other side. Try not to be too obvious Barack.

Again; the doctrine of 'hate the messenger so message must be a lie'.

I despise Obama probably more than the most of myriad extremist Right wingers on here...but that doesn't mean I think he is incapable of outlining a fact on occasion. Even wingers can do that...or so I've heard.

There is only one threat to Democracy: people giving away their right of choice by surrendering their critical faculties.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #10 of 44
So it's a fact that iPods are a threat to democracy?
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

So it's a fact that iPods are a threat to democracy?

Your answer just proved Obama's contention.

Let's look at it in detail. This is what he said:

Quote:
"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter,"

"And with iPods and iPads, and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation. So all of this is not only putting pressure on you; it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy"

So...first thing he never said "iPads were a threat to Democracy".

Yet you think he did. Why?

I think the answer lies in what he is talking about:

information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment


The true information of what he is saying - bolded above - has passed you by. It was merely a distraction.

What you heard instead is that "iPads are a threat to Democracy".

You may have your own agenda and bias for thinking this but that is not the point. The point is that you bypassed the actual information.

Ie you were distracted from it.

You could could have quoted it correctly and parsed it correctly and THEN disagreed on the basis of what he actually said.

But you didn't do that.

I think that's what he's talking about and I think he's right.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #12 of 44
I partly agree with Obama on this. But only partly. I think his analysis isn't terribly deep here. Before going into that a couple of comments. First I would probably add a list of other things into what he's saying, things like Facebook, text messaging, Twitter and, maybe, the web in general.

There can be no doubt that these many new forms of interaction, information, entertainment, etc. are distractions that do put pressure on our republic. A viable and functioning and successful society requires an informed and educated and clear thinking people. While the flood of information enables us to have lots of data, I'm not sure it always helps us to be truly informed. The rate at which it comes appears to make this nearly impossible (or at least very difficult.) Some are able to absorb lots of data and facts but are incapable of properly sifting, analyzing, understanding and integrating it all into its proper place. This, to me, leads to what I think the deeper problem is: education and the ability to think clearly and logically.

In so many ways the ability to access and obtain such a vast amount of information more quickly and more directly is a great blessing. But it does put a burden on our minds. Each individual must become his own "editor" (vs. relying upon professional editors as in past times.) But this function requires a strong ability to think clearly and logically and objectively. These abilities seem to be on the decline. This, coupled with the flood of information and other distractions, I think, prompts people to revert to a much simpler form of "logical" thinking and filtering which amounts to "If I agree with it, I will accept it and hold onto it. If I don't I will reject it." No room (or time) is left for any deeper or more nuanced thinking. Things get sifted into black and white with no room for gray. We see this in politics quite clearly.

Finally, I agree with him to the extent that many forms of "entertainment" and distraction simply suck away time further diminishing a person's capacity to absorb and process the world around them in meaningful and thoughtful ways. We just have less time to do this the more time we spend on Facebook, XBox, Twitter, etc.

All of that said, I'd say he's barking up the wrong tree. The technology itself it fairly neutral. My iPod can be just as easily used for listening to useful and informative podcasts or audio books as it can in buzzing my mind into distraction with the latest pop star releases. My iPad can just as easily used for conveniently reading valuable books and websites or it can be used for playing games. Those I follow on Twitter could point me to link of things that help me in great ways, or to the latest stupid viral YouTube video of someone belching Beethoven's 5th symphony. Facebook...well...okay, maybe Facebook is evil. But, I think you get my point. It is the person and the brain on the receiving and using end of these technologies that makes the biggest difference and if that brain has been poorly equipped to think clearly and reason logically and is stuck in the more base mode of mere emotional and reactive responses to the information, entertainment and distractions around them...it doesn't much matter what the technology is.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Why is it absurd?

I tried to summarize my thoughts here in my prior post... however, to restate:

Obama's rationalization is absurd; i.e., his comment, "information becomes a distraction, a diversion" because such thinking assumes our electorate - our American public - is ill equipped to handle such information. That is absurd. An open and free press does a service to our citizenry and information is strength. What Obama is proposing here is to limit the flow of information though some government apparatus because he assumes Americans can't make decisions, or that our media of information is making such information a distraction; again, as I said, that is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Finally, I agree with him to the extent that many forms of "entertainment" and distraction simply suck away time further diminishing a person's capacity to absorb and process the world around them in meaningful and thoughtful ways. We just have less time to do this the more time we spend on Facebook, XBox, Twitter, etc.

Since Obama coordinated his entire campaign on his Blackberry, his comments here border on hypocrisy. Matter of fact, even middle schoolers can separate gaming (XBox) social media (FaceBook and Twitter) entertainment (iPod) with other forms of news information. The fact that Obama seems to have problems here is yet another handicap he seems to have a need to confess.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

I tried to summarize my thoughts here in my prior post...

Obama's rationalization is absurd here; i.e., his comment, "information becomes a distraction, a diversion" because such thinking assumes our electorate - our American public - is ill equipped to handle such information. That is absurd. An open and free press does a service to our citizenry and information is strength. What Obama is proposing here is to limit the flow of information though some government apparatus because he assumes Americans can't make decisions, or that our media of information is making such information a distraction; again, that is absurd.

He is not talking about News in the context of the media - he is talking about in terms of the context of iPads and XBoxes. I know you mentioned that but now you seem to be extrapolating from this context to the bigger Media canvas. He did not say 'News' as a whole - he said 'News' in the context of iPads etc and in direct relation to the demographic of young people, students etc.

So, knowing that, it follows that the way this News/Info is packaged is vastly different - and this is what he is referring to.

Btw, this is not a new idea - the whole concept of Infotainment has been around for decades.

Quote:
The label "infotainment" is emblematic of concern and criticism that journalism is devolving from a medium which conveys serious information about issues that affect the public interest, into a form of entertainment which happens to have fresh "facts" in the mix.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Obama's rationalization is absurd here; i.e., his comment, "information becomes a distraction, a diversion" because such thinking assumes our electorate - our American public - is ill equipped to handle such information. That is absurd.

Personally, I don't think it is so absurd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

An open and free press does a service to our citizenry and information is strength. What Obama is proposing here is to limit the flow of information though some government apparatus because he assumes Americans can't make decisions, or that our media of information is making such information a distraction; again, that is absurd.

Is he really proposing that? He may well think that. He may well be trying to setup the foundational thought work for such a thing, but right now I don't see that he's actually proposing it. I mean I frankly don't trust Obama any further than I could throw him and I think he and his administration are as big or possibly bigger threat to our republic than iPads and XBoxes. But I'm not sure I see him proposing what's your saying he's proposing.

That said, I do think this is Obama venting a little frustration about all sorts of things being out there that don't agree with his view of things and having to combat that. But to that I say "Welcome to the club!" There are things coming out of the White House that I thing are wrong and have a loose connection to the truth, but he is The President and he has the "bully pulpit" and he gives a good speech, so those who value the truth have all of that to combat.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #16 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

He is not talking about News in the context of the media - he is talking about in terms of the context of iPads and XBoxes. I know you mentioned that but now you seem to be extrapolating from this context to the bigger Media canvas. He did not say 'News' as a whole - he said 'News' in the context of iPads etc and in direct relation to the demographic of young people, students etc.

The youth that he appealed to in his campaign seemed to be reasonably well informed and they grew up in and among XBoxes, Playstations, iPods, and a host of what he himself calls "distractions" yet they were and are reasonably well informed. Matter of fact I dare say the current generation is exposed to more information than the one that preceded it. Again, Obama's point here is absurd, even if we point to his supporters in the last election.
post #17 of 44
I must admit that this part was funny though:

Quote:
Obama also lamented the spread of social media and blogs, through which "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction."

Like covering another 30 million people will cost the country less? Or like spending and borrowing will get us out of the mess that was caused, in part, by spending and borrowing? Or like immediately passing an $800 billion spending bill will reduce unemployment? Like those things?

I imagine he was thinking about other "crazy" claims.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

The youth that he appealed to in his campaign seemed to be reasonably well informed and they grew up in and among XBoxes, Playstations, iPods, and a host of what he himself calls "distractions" yet they were and are reasonably well informed. Matter of fact I dare say the current generation is exposed to more information than the one that preceded it. Again, Obama's point here is absurd, even if we point to his supporters in the last election.

That is actually an argument for my position though: the Obama campaign did NOT give the facts - it just presented things how Obama wanted them to appear.

That's why a lot of his supporters are now pissed off. They see his true colours.

The most you can accuse him of is being a hypocrite and a liar and using the very tools he denigrates to manipulate people. With which I would fully agree.

But he is still correct in what he says even if he himself is a hypocrite.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #19 of 44
the internet has empowered all of us.
obama, would like to have more of us looking at news, and him
we can now choose what we want to do, anywhere and everywhere.
i read the news from the internet, not on tv
he has to compete just like anyone else for our time
remember when leadership complained of us watching too much from the boobtube
now its youtube, and broadband has really helped.
tv's are now embedded with watching netflicks, wow, only a few years ago, we were still at some media moguls mercy
no more.

maybe we can convince obama of having all his speeches done in html5 and help kill flash

maybe he should ask why he isn't watched, let him compete
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #20 of 44

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

maybe we can convince obama of having all his speeches done in html5 and help kill flash

Yeah would be cool...as usual though IE doesn't support it....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #22 of 44
What I would find quite funny is if Obama's pontificating against and dissing the tools of the younger generation that supposedly supports him so much actually causes a sort of mental backlash against him because he starts sounding like their parent rather than their buddy...and messiah.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Yeah would be cool...as usual though IE doesn't support it....

Yet. But MS seems to be in the HTML5 camp. So sometime...in MS time (which can be measured in millenia I believe.)

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yet. But MS seems to be in the HTML5 camp. So sometime...in MS time (which can be measured in millenia I believe.)

I think it's pretty much ready though - I am switching to making sites in it now. You can make IE work with a sort of Javascript hack and Css 3 is mind-blowing.

I think what will really send it into orbit is the amount of App developers who are getting in on making apps in it as opposed to tying into the Apple Store (which you can port to anyway with PhoneGap which can port a web app to a native one).

Ooops, veering OT...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

The most you can accuse him of is being a hypocrite and a liar and using the very tools he denigrates to manipulate people. With which I would fully agree...

Okay he's a hypocrite and a liar; I'll rest with that!
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Okay he's a hypocrite and a liar; I'll rest with that!

And kind of an idiot. But we knew that even before this latest commencement speech.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Okay he's a hypocrite and a liar; I'll rest with that!

I'm with you man...

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think it's pretty much ready though - I am switching to making sites in it now. You can make IE work with a sort of Javascript hack and Css 3 is mind-blowing.

I think what will really send it into orbit is the amount of App developers who are getting in on making apps in it as opposed to tying into the Apple Store (which you can port to anyway with PhoneGap which can port a web app to a native one).

Ooops, veering OT...

Last OT post: I'm looking forward to HTML catching on fire and destroying Flash. I think it will happen, perhaps faster than expected. There are things aligning to kill off Flash in pieces. All of the video stuff switch over is a start. Designers switching to using even regular CSS2 and JavaScript to do some of the stupid simple things that Flash is used for is another leg to knock out.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #29 of 44
Camp David (and AppleInsider) makes the big time:

Quote:
"Since Obama coordinated his entire campaign on his Blackberry (sic), his comments here border on hypocrisy," writes a commenter called "Camp David" on an AppleInsider forum.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:

Oh....... My.......... God............

Could someone please bring me my revolver and a last gin and tonic on a silver platter.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Oh....... My.......... God............

Could someone please bring me my revolver and a last gin and tonic on a silver platter.

I had a similar reaction. Not quite so end of days though.

Now posting on a forum anonymously makes you a commentator worthy of a CNN news article? Do they not see they are proving the point the Obama is pushing with their article?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #32 of 44
Quote:

That's sic!

Aptly the hyperbole from Camp David's quote, which is common practice for him, is a perfect example of how useless and distracting falsities infect political discourse. Sadly, there are those who can and often do make more money riling up the public than informing them.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #33 of 44
I guess this is what happens when your teleprompter malfunctions?

What Obama doesn't like is he can't control blogging, Twitter, message boards, etc. That has to be quite a frustration when you already have NBC, CBS, ABC, and CNN in your back pocket as shills.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Your answer just proved Obama's contention.

Let's look at it in detail. This is what he said:



So...first thing he never said "iPads were a threat to Democracy".

Yet you think he did. Why?

I think the answer lies in what he is talking about:

information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment


The true information of what he is saying - bolded above - has passed you by. It was merely a distraction.

What you heard instead is that "iPads are a threat to Democracy".

You may have your own agenda and bias for thinking this but that is not the point. The point is that you bypassed the actual information.

Ie you were distracted from it.

You could could have quoted it correctly and parsed it correctly and THEN disagreed on the basis of what he actually said.

But you didn't do that.

I think that's what he's talking about and I think he's right.

Maybe you can find work in the White House as a spin doctor. But for that you'd have to actually have to be good at it.
post #35 of 44
Let's bring it back to the bottom line. The Obama administration and the Democrats on capitol have the mass media in their back pockets. It is almost embarassing to watch what the WH press corp is willing to endure at the hands of Robert Gibbs (http://michellemalkin.com/2010/05/05...orps-pit-bull/), and it was a total disgrace watching the President of the US play comedian at the Correspondents dinner (http://hotairpundit.blogspot.com/201...r-jabs-at.html). Obama's comments arise from the incredible frustration he feels at the freedom technology gives Americans to bypass the sad remnants of the American "free press". If only Obama and his Democratic cronies had been able to stage their presumptive nonmilitary coup ten years ago, before the advent of this information technology, we would already be the United Socialist States of America.
post #36 of 44
Who's the FNG?
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

The socialist is loosing his mind:

Obama: iPad, Xbox Turn Information Into A 'Distraction'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_569289.html
Obama said, the era of iPads and Xboxes had turned information into a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy.

Glad to hear the leader of the free world can't even operate an iPod!

Obama's Supermarket-Scanner Moment: I Don't Know How To Work an iPod
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-fi...#ixzz0nU28zsQA
With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work....

You're posting this after McCain didn't even know how to send a fucking email?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're posting this after McCain didn't even know how to send a fucking email?

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/1...-mccain-email/

Oh, and as I recall, Barack Obama made something of a deal about his relatively high tech-savvy-ness (compared to McCain) during the campaign. At this point it seems clear that Obama is just a fucking idiot. But he is smug and arrogant, so he has that going for him.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #39 of 44
pwned
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Oh....... My.......... God............

Could someone please bring me my revolver and a last gin and tonic on a silver platter.

I would volunteer to do so but since you've only implied you would use it on yourself , I can't be sure you wouldn't use it on me so no go.

Of course even if you didn't shoot me with it, watching you shoot someone else, and then claim you were left wing, but became right wing when shooting the other person, and then reverted back to left wing again would probably cause my death due to my head exploding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I had a similar reaction. Not quite so end of days though.

Now posting on a forum anonymously makes you a commentator worthy of a CNN news article? Do they not see they are proving the point the Obama is pushing with their article?

How is this any different than any other "man on the street" commentary most articles provide aka "vox pops"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're posting this after McCain didn't even know how to send a fucking email?

That may have been the spin, but he was shown to know how to use these items but prefer voice due to his war injuries. That said, like most things Democrats piss and moan about, they brought it up first, brought it up worst, used it to judge, and now don't like the same criteria being applied in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/1...-mccain-email/

Oh, and as I recall, Barack Obama made something of a deal about his relatively high tech-savvy-ness (compared to McCain) during the campaign. At this point it seems clear that Obama is just a fucking idiot. But he is smug and arrogant, so he has that going for him.



Don't forget he can also get away with name calling, and slurs of his fellow Americans with no concern that the media will analyze his "tone" and "intent."

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama: iPad, Xbox Threat to Democracy