or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders

Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Don't know if these posted prices are officially from Apple. Apple France sells the base model for 499 euros not 479 euros as officially stated. I preordered mine before even noticing the figures. Apple France sucks!!
post #42 of 72
FWIW

The UK Apple Store went offline at 00.01. It went back up at 1am. I got my order in at 1.04am. The site was very sluggish, so I imagine that every other iPad freak was doing the same thing. Order confirmation, which is usually instant, took another 45 minutes to come through.
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
post #43 of 72
The 479 price given by AI is wrong for most countries accepting pre-orders in Europe.
In France, Italy and Germany the entry price for iPad is 499.
Apple store Spain says 479.
The most interesting price is to be found in Switzerland where the iPad is sold CHF 649 (429).

Fabrice
post #44 of 72
I finally managed to place my order last night at 1.45am UK time after numerous failed attempts. The servers clearly couldn't cope with demand suggesting we'll soon be seeing the sort of supply issues that the US has recently suffered.
I mean, what kind of lunatics would spend valuable sleeping time in the small hours of the morning trying to buy a gadget?
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

I finally managed to place my order last night at 1.45am UK time after numerous failed attempts. The servers clearly couldn't cope with demand suggesting we'll soon be seeing the sort of supply issues that the US has recently suffered.
I mean, what kind of lunatics would spend valuable sleeping time in the small hours of the morning trying to buy a gadget?

You were sensible to do this. I was lazy and did not place my order until 5.0am (on my phone at the airport). Order supposedly went through and I have an order number which I can look up on the website, but no confirmation email so I am assuming I was too late.
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

I have an order number which I can look up on the website, but no confirmation email so I am assuming I was too late.

If you have an order number I think you're OK. From my experience (see above) it seems that it's taking longer than usual for Apple to generate confirmation emails.
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

Well, yes, but it's a very nice gadget :-)
post #48 of 72
What is the reasoning behind accepting orders 18 days in advance? It is to give them some idea what to ship to each country?
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What is the reasoning behind accepting orders 18 days in advance? It is to give them some idea what to ship to each country?

Didn't they do the same in the US?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #50 of 72
1:11am, apparently. I'm assuming the 12:11 GMT time supplied by Apple on my order status has to be adjusted for DST... either that, or I travelled momentarily back in time to place my order.

Site was pretty speedy for me, went through first try, I even dilly dallied and threw out my plan to get a 32GB 3g in favour of a 16GB Wifi and £170 to spend on the next revision. I'll probably miss the GPS, a little, but I'm damned if I'm paying for yet another data contract- specially at those prices!

But, yes, I'm one of those lunatics who lost valuable sleeping time to pre-order an iPad ASAP. I then proceeded not to sleep for another 2 hours... just one of those nights. </lifestory>
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Didn't they do the same in the US?

I think his question can be more generalized: Why do pre-orders at all or so far in advance? I'd say the primary reasoning is to gauge the quantity you'll need prior to launch. I hope they will have finally ramped up production by the end of the month but judging by the demand in the US I have to think that won't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Delivers by May 28th" date will be pushed back another week or so, for new orders, by next week.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

jmmx

Seriously though, I am sure he was using America as a terse form of United States of America, which I find completely acceptable when referring to countries.

I don't. There are several dozens of countries NOT the USA, that are also in America, it really drives me nuts the way people form the USA claim total ownership of the continent.

In addition to Canada, all the way from the Rio Grande to Patagonia are America, and Americans are all the people living there, not only those living in between the Great lakes and the Rio Grande...

\\Rant
post #53 of 72
APPLE BROKE A PROMISE

IPAD SIMLOCKED IN JAPAN.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...Japanese_iPads

What is wrong with Apple and how they work here in Japan? This is insane and was announced this afternoon, after orders were being taken.

post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post

Two years ago, I got up at 4 am and line up outside a Fido store to buy an iphone. I was second in line, but they refused to sell one to me because I was an existing Fido customer. I had to wait nearly a month to get my iphone and I had no choice because Rogers and Fido (which is owned by Rogers) were the only suppliers in Canada. I raised hell and got nowhere, although they claimed I was moved up the list I still had a long wait to get my iphone.

This experience reminds me of that. For sure when I get my iphone 4g it will be with Bell and I will let fido know why I'm canceling. I have a long memory when it comes to bad service. Apple has already made us wait a month. This is like the bad old days when Apple computers weren't available in Canada until months after their introduction date. Once again, I have no choice but to wait, but I won't forget this.

Bull shit.

I bought my first Mac in 84 and dozens more since. Never had to wait. In fact, I used to go to Cupertino routinely and our Apple resellers were more advanced than the store there.

BTW Rogers announced their data plan early the morning which somebody has already posted on MacDailyNews, i.e.,

Rogers, Canada has announced their plan:

• 250MB/Month = $15 CDN
• 5 GB/Month = $35 CDN

• Add iPad to your existing Rogers Data Plan = $20

Great for me [too]. I also have an iPhone 6GB/Month for less than $30 a month and I hardly use more than 200MBs monthly.

MORE NEWS:
Apple Canada today began taking pre-orders for the iPad that include a unique data sharing plan for 3G units. In addition to discrete plans, Rogers is offering a $20 extension plan: the service adds the iPad and uses the bandwidth from an existing plan to get online. The plan potentially saves money for those that already have large plans and don't significantly tax them with an iPhone or other smartphone.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...xtension.plan/
http://www.electronista.com/articles...e.single.plan/
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

If you have an order number I think you're OK. From my experience (see above) it seems that it's taking longer than usual for Apple to generate confirmation emails.

I think you are right. Order sent at 5.0am and Email received at 2.0pm. I would love to know the store by store data. Which countries getting what pre orders in what space of time
post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Bull shit.

I bought my first Mac in 84 and dozens more since. Never had to wait. In fact, I used to go to Cupertino routinely and our Apple resellers were more advanced than the store there.

BTW Rogers announced their data plan early the morning which somebody has already posted on MacDailyNews, i.e.,

Rogers, Canada has announced their plan:

• 250MB/Month = $15 CDN
• 5 GB/Month = $35 CDN

Add iPad to your existing Rogers Data Plan = $20

Great for me [too]. I also have an iPhone 6GB/Month for less than $30 a month and I hardly use more than 200MBs monthly.

MORE NEWS:
Apple Canada today began taking pre-orders for the iPad that include a unique data sharing plan for 3G units. In addition to discrete plans, Rogers is offering a $20 extension plan: the service adds the iPad and uses the bandwidth from an existing plan to get online. The plan potentially saves money for those that already have large plans and don't significantly tax them with an iPhone or other smartphone.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...xtension.plan/
http://www.electronista.com/articles...e.single.plan/

Hee hee, something else to piss off AT&T customers (along with Canadian carriers allowing tethering). Now if only Bell and Telus would announce their plans. Not that I expect them to be actually competitive.
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What planet are you from?

Canada is widely recognised as one of the most civilised and nicest places to live on earth. Even in the US, Canadian cities regularly win those "most liveable" contests, and Canada is generally thought of as an excellent safe, civilised vacation destination. It's basically the same as the USA but without the guns.

There are no draconian laws taking away your "freedom," and we have a constitution and bill of rights that gives you more rights and freedoms than the average US citizen does. The government doesn't tell people what to watch or buy, nor do they take any of your tax dollars to support TV stations. CBC pays it's own way (which is why it has so much crap shows but that's another issue entirely).

I have to wonder what country you are from. They say that people get the governments they deserve, and I suppose your ignorance of the issues is reflective of many Canadian voters. The CBC is in fact heavily subsidized by the government. As well the CRTC determines which stations get broadcast or other distribution licenses and includes restrictions on their content. Added to that is the Broadcasting Act that prohibits Canadians from receiving foreign satellite signals, we in fact have a system that is more restrictive than all but a few other countries (North Korea, China, like the company we keep?).

Then you mention guns. The right to bear arms is one of the great accomplishments of American democracy and it is sadly lacking in Canada. Other draconian laws? In Ontario the government tells you what kind of dog you can have and will take your pet away and kill it if you choose one that they don't approve of.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:

I think his question can be more generalized: Why do pre-orders at all or so far in advance? I'd say the primary reasoning is to gauge the quantity you'll need prior to launch. I hope they will have finally ramped up production by the end of the month but judging by the demand in the US I have to think that won't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Delivers by May 28th" date will be pushed back another week or so, for new orders, by next week.

Definitely Apple is going for maximum ass-coverage here by at least setting a reasonable deadline to ship iPads and set production targets, etc.

Bottom line is demand internationally is still huge, everybody wants a bloody iPad, no competitors have even a whiff of what is going on, and more chaos will ensue.
post #59 of 72
Quote:

I tend to agree. My initial response was a bit short. There are plenty of things going on over here that are keeping me occupied, not to mention work.

It would also help in initial distribution; some areas will have higher demand than others which might be difficult to predict.

post #60 of 72
Quote:

Really? I think that your attitude is reprehensible. People have a right to choose not to be American. They have a right to choose to buy Canadian books and watch Canadian TV and movies. That's their right. Where are my rights? I don't want to have my tax dollars used to subsidize bad TV, bad movies and bad books. I only want to pay for what I choose, but the government forces me to pay taxes to support things I don't want to buy and then makes it illegal for me to buy alternatives. That isn't independence, that's fascism.

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for your healthcare.
post #61 of 72
Quote:

Then you mention guns. The right to bear arms is one of the great accomplishments of American democracy and it is sadly lacking in Canada. Other draconian laws? In Ontario the government tells you what kind of dog you can have and will take your pet away and kill it if you choose one that they don't approve of.

This is alarming. I can only hope this is a joke. Otherwise, we have free psychiatry here. Please, take advantage.
post #62 of 72
Quote:

Isn't it strange that Apple doesn't provide an app for buying from the Apple Store? Since I have to get up at 3 am to order my iPad, it would be so much more convenient to turn to my iphone that I keep by my bedside rather than getting up to order from my iMac.

I mean we don't even know for sure that ordering will be available at 3 am and yet I have to get up and go to my computer just to check for it? Why on earth hasn't Apple thought to come out with an app for their own store?

You can use the internet from your phone and order from the web site.
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

You can use the internet from your phone and order from the web site.

This is exactly what I did. Worked perfectly
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

I don't. There are several dozens of countries NOT the USA, that are also in America, it really drives me nuts the way people form the USA claim total ownership of the continent.

In addition to Canada, all the way from the Rio Grande to Patagonia are America, and Americans are all the people living there, not only those living in between the Great lakes and the Rio Grande...

\\Rant

If you're referring to continents, but it's clear when you say "America' in reference to a country that it's simply an abbreviated short form of United Stares of America. What other country has America in that makes it confusing? I've heard of women being upset that terms like 'mankind' exclude when the terminology is quite clear. It's the same thing.

Here are some examples:
  1. I am from America
  2. I am from the United States of America
  3. I am from the Americas
  4. I am from South America
  5. I am from North America
  6. I am from Canada
  7. I am from Patagonia
  8. For all mankind and womankind.

It's really quite since only one country has America in the name and no other usage of that makes sense unless you put the qualifier "North" or "South" before it, otherwise it's "Americas" (plural).

Finally, I don't think it's a good argument that people go around stating they are from the whole of two continents without being more specific and saying I'm from "United" makes no sense. I'd say those who are offended by shorted term "America" are fine with "The States" yet the United States of America is not the only country with states. So I guess that is out, too.
post #65 of 72
Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Hee hee, something else to piss off AT&T customers (along with Canadian carriers allowing tethering). Now if only Bell and Telus would announce their plans. Not that I expect them to be actually competitive.

Turns out the $20 data share plan posted on Apple was a "mistake" and has been taken down.

Bastards. According to this http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/roge...pad-in-canada/ Many are cancelling their iPad order in frustration.
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Turns out the $20 data share plan posted on Apple was a "mistake" and has been taken down.

Bastards. According to this http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/roge...pad-in-canada/ Many are canceling their iPad order in frustration.

I just heard about this. I ordered a 3G+64G iPad because of that $20 share data plan with my iPhone. I can't believe they would just withdraw it, but I checked and it's no longer there. Without that option I will cancel the order. This is a nightmare. I can't imagine Apple putting that in the store without some kind of approval from Rogers.

The question is whether or not to cancel now or wait to see just what the situation is. If it's Apple's fault then that is truly unacceptable. If it's Rogers then they have just stepped beyond some line in the sand...

Talk about a mess...

philip
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

This is alarming. I can only hope this is a joke. Otherwise, we have free psychiatry here. Please, take advantage.

Certain breeds are no longer allowed in Ontario after some unfortunate dog attacks on children ( not necessarily only by those breeds). I don't know if it was the dogs or the owners who were more to blame. There is an issue of properly training a dog and this seems to be lacking. In any case, it's not completely a joke...

Parts of Ontario seem to have come out with some very strange laws with very little evidence. In Toronto you have to virtually have a pool surrounded by prion style security. It's no longer enough to have a fence and the back of your house acting as part of the fence. I guess they fear that people breaking into the house and escaping out the back might fall in a pool by accident. Next thing you know lakes will have to have fences.

I suppose it could be worse...we could begin constructing a fence along the border ( similar to the one that used to be in Germany and is now on part of the border between the US and Mexico. I didn't realize the fence companies had this much influence...

philip
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I don't want my tax dollars to pay for your healthcare.

He can take a few more $'s from my taxes provided he has proof that he doesn't smoke, exercises, rides a bike to work, does not eat fast foods, avoids deserts, etc....

philip
post #70 of 72
Malaysia Maxis MicroSIM details leaked:
http://twitpic.com/1muyp7

Internal document screenshot

"The MicroSim... and is specially manufactured for... Maxis is the first operator in Malaysia to offer this convenience... to customers who are looking forward to the best technologies and services compatible with the latest devices.

Customers are able to sign up for a Micro SIM at any of our 31 Maxis centres nationwide.

To start surfing on the Apple iPad 3G with the Maxis Micro SIM, customers may sign up either a Postpaid Mobile Data plan or a Maxis Broadband Plan:

Mobile Data
500MB RM 58 per month
1.5GB RM 78 per month
3.0GB RM 88 per month

Maxis Broadband
1.5GB RM 48 per month
3.0GB RM 68 per month
6.0GB RM 98 per month
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, all the other big players, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, whatever... They've had pretty much the whole year up till now to get their sh*t together. What have they done? Let's see. Half-assed nonsense vapourware at CES. Months and months since the iPad was actually demonstrated in full glory with all the details laid bare. It's almost June and everyone is still stuck trying to push netbooks, not a single major manufacturer/brand has EVEN TRIED to put out ANY KIND OF TABLET.

By the time competitors even get their act together (and no thanks to Microsoft for still thinking/ not offering an alternative to Windows 7 and/or Windows Mobile as something worthwhile for tablets) ... Hmm

I find this state of affairs interesting. It's the 3rd time we've seen this movie (or 4th, or 5th, depending how you want to count it...) Apple launches device, it gets derided, it gets hot, others try to trot out their device that goes nowhere, Apple dominates market share or mind share (either or both, being a product manager on the other side must be way disheartening).

Everyone knows the plot, so it seems they were getting a jump on it back in January, and I would have expected they'd release something by now. That they haven't is perplexing.

On the other hand, MSFT and HP both cancelled internal products recently. Maybe that's an indication of their growing sophistication in the consumer space that their standard efforts simply won't cut it. It's an awareness that they either have to do it right or not bother.
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNamesAreTaken View Post

I find this state of affairs interesting. It's the 3rd time we've seen this movie (or 4th, or 5th, depending how you want to count it...) Apple launches device, it gets derided, it gets hot, others try to trot out their device that goes nowhere, Apple dominates market share or mind share (either or both, being a product manager on the other side must be way disheartening).

Everyone knows the plot, so it seems they were getting a jump on it back in January, and I would have expected they'd release something by now. That they haven't is perplexing.

On the other hand, MSFT and HP both cancelled internal products recently. Maybe that's an indication of their growing sophistication in the consumer space that their standard efforts simply won't cut it. It's an awareness that they either have to do it right or not bother.

QFT. Well, yup, iPod, iPhone, now iPad. Agreed that competitors are fed up of trying to compete and getting their ass handed to them by Apple.

Pity the Mac, the original Apple "thing" has not got the runaway success of these other devices, though of course sales/ revenue/ etc. continue to be important.

Edit: Being a product manager for a crap product must not be too disheartening for some, for many the whole system and corporate structure is built around maintaining sales of conventional, mediocre products that people continue to buy because, it's a PC, it runs Windows, it's cheap.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders