or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

post #1 of 104
Following a refresh of its MacBook Pro line of notebooks in April, Apple could update its lightweight MacBook Air this week, with a new model expected to arrive on Tuesday.

In April, the Australian Macworld correctly reported the arrival of new MacBook Pros. The same source has come again to the Aussie publication, this time to send word of a MacBook Air refresh allegedly set to happen Tuesday.

The source said a new product will arrive Tuesday with the model MC516LL/A K87 BETTER BTR-USA. The "better" distinction reportedly means it is likely to be a Mac product, leading the tipster to suggest the refresh is a MacBook Air.

The report noted that there is "some potential" the listing could instead refer to a new 27-inch Cinema Display. But the source said there are several thousand of the product headed to Australia, "which suggests a major new product." In March, AppleInsider reported that Apple was working on a larger version of its LED Cinema Display, with a new 27-inch screen known by the identifier "K59" expected to arrive by June.

Further evidence for the MacBook Air refresh was provided by the Australian Macworld, with "whisperings" that the current model is "difficult to come by." However, the lightweight notebook, starting at $1,499 U.S., still ships within 24 hours from Apple's online store.

In January, it was suggested that the MacBook Air refresh might have seen a delay due to limited availability of Intel's Core i5 ultramobile processors. Those reports suggested Apple could adopt the ultra-thin 18W TDP processor. The Core i5-520UM has a maximum processor speed of 1.86GHz, and an integrated GPU with 500MHz of processing power. The 32nm dual-core chip also includes 3MB of L3 cache.

Apple last updated the MacBook Air in June 2009, dropping its entry price to $1,499 for a 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-based system. Apple's full line of MacBook Pros are also based on the Core 2 Duo processor.

In April, Apple updated its MacBook Pro line of notebook computers, with the high-end systems receiving Intel's latest Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors and new automated graphics switching technology.
post #2 of 104
My hopes are for a better battery, much lower heat, and maybe a design tweak? Been a long time since they pioneered the unibody design.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #3 of 104
A new mini with an HDMI out????
post #4 of 104
I wonder if they will change the bezel to black this time, so it matches the MBP line. And a little price-drop would be cool too.

Nice tho, product updates are always nice. Especially Apple ones.
post #5 of 104
does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?
post #6 of 104
Will it get the one button mouse and 4gb of ram ... maybe it doesn't need that much.
I read the L2 Cache might be 3MB on the possible update, isn't the current an L2 6MB ?
post #7 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Yes.

I own an Air and ordered an iPad today. They are different beasts.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #8 of 104
Could you imagine. Touch screen?

I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.
post #9 of 104
Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

@Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...
post #10 of 104
The air has been surprisingly stale for me. Now that we have an iPad I see less and less reason for it. Macbooks are more powerful and have the same 13 inch screen, one more usb port and cost less. I'm sure air has its fans, but I think it might be killed off by the iPad.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #11 of 104
Thinking about it ... this could be Apple's BEST built Macbook Air, assuming all the experience they've gathered throughout the years of selling it .. product updates = A+ ! (I am a student)
post #12 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

@Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...

Actually you can transfer pictures from a camera to an ipad using the camera connection kit. Apple demonstrated this.
post #13 of 104
Quote:

Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

You mean the iPad Camera Connector kit doesn't actually exist? It's the same one as the iPod Camera Connector Kit that has been around for ages. I know what you mean though, frankly, I find the 13" MacBook Pro to fit the needs that the MacBook Air filled for a period of time. If anything kills off the Air it would be the 13" Pro, it is more durable, has more connectivity, it's faster, more powerful, less expensive and has a battery that lasts twice as long as configured currently. The MacBook Air has a lighter weight and that's about it, I think it is just one of those "Gee Whiz" designs that Steve Jobs wants to hold onto for a while like the Cube was. The 13" frankly is just as easy to haul around, it has a slightly smaller footprint really.
post #14 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The air has been surprisingly stale for me. Now that we have an iPad I see less and less reason for it. Macbooks are more powerful and have the same 13 inch screen, one more usb port and cost less. I'm sure air has its fans, but I think it might be killed off by the iPad.

I sold my MBA to buy my iPad.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #15 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yes.

I own an Air and ordered an iPad today. They are different beasts.

I own both. Like each. But you really can use the Macbook Air as an everyday machine. Ipad is nice, but not so much.

I have a new imac as well at work to compare with the MBA.

The only downsides of the macbook air for me are an (a) small hard drive (pain for moving thing on and off an external drive, especially if you have a lot of movies, music, pics), (b) overheating/slowdown problems on my particular machine and (c) processor is slower - only notice when using handbrake.

I have the external optical drive, which I've used twice.

So presuming its not that much slower than the new MBPs and has a bigger hard drive options, I'll probably buy it. Have no idea what performance will be like.

But curious how it will stack up against the base 13inch mbp. Hopefully its not slower and just a bit lighter.
post #16 of 104
Quote:

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #17 of 104
Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long, but those are not that important for majority of people.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #18 of 104
Quote:

Actually apple sells the dongle that allows you to tranfer the photos directly to ipad via usb.
post #19 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long, but those are not that important for majority of people.

I have an Air, a MBP 13" and a MBP 15". The Air is the most used of the three. The 15" has become a virtual paperweight; it's still here just in case.

Don't want a super drive, have never needed a second USB port; I want light and compact. Can carry an Air with a Wacom tablet and still have less weight in my bag than just the 13".

Oh, the MBP's batteries last longer.

post #20 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long

The battery on the 13" MBP last twice as long as on the MBA (10 h vs 5 h), though I expect any MBA refresh to up the battery life there also (but maybe only to 7 or 8 hours).
post #21 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?
post #22 of 104
It will be interesting from a technical standpoint to see what CPU it uses, since it is so thin.

Isn't the Mac Pro also due for an update? And the Mac Mini could do with that new NVidia integrated GPU they launched with the Macbook Pros.
post #23 of 104
Quote:

If it can be sold at a profit by Apple, it makes perfect sense.
post #24 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Could you imagine. Touch screen?

I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.

Could you imagine holding out your arms every time in order to touch the screen?
post #25 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Could you imagine holding out your arms every time in order to touch the screen?

I think a redone trackpad is in order, one that allows greater space and more gestures. A screen would be awesome, but would likely be too heavy.

post #26 of 104
Quote:

This is what I am talking about. I bought the ipad (which my family has taken over). My old macbook pro finally crapped out on me and I looked at the 13" vs the macbook Air and I thought, I have the ipad for the super portability, why not just go with the macbook pro for the laptop.
post #27 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

If it can be sold at a profit by Apple, it makes perfect sense.

true, but with the ipad coming out it will be interesting to see what those sales will me in the future.
post #28 of 104
I think the Air will hold its ground. It's a great machine (though certainly not designed for everybody) and it has its fan base. I love mine and when it comes time to upgrade it I will probably look at another Air.

post #29 of 104
Netbooks are crap.
iPads are not full Computers.
MBP 13" is a little too big for lots of people.
Give us a skinny 11" MB_.

11" screen
64-128GB SSD
no optical drive
4GB ram

and most importantly... Give us a docking solution.
post #30 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I think the Air will hold its ground. It's a great machine (though certainly not designed for everybody) and it has its fan base. I love mine and when it comes time to upgrade it I will probably look at another Air.

You may be correct here, just wondering. If I traveled with a laptop more, I would probably get the air for the weight reason alone ... especially if they get more battery life in the new model, which I think they will. The 13" I just bought is fantastic ... I can't get the battery to drain in a day.

The big question for me is will the ipad become a traveling machine. If it does, I think the Air will lose some luster. I'm very impressed so far with the ipad as a POTENTIAL traveling machine, especially with apples iWork software. I'm already used to not having the keyboard and mouse and I love it. The screen keyboard is very tricky at first.
post #31 of 104
Quote:

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out.

Not true. Is it really too much trouble to get the facts before launching into your anti-iPad whining.

Quote:

How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...

You plug the iPhone into the wall socket?

Quote:

Whether you like it or not, there is a place for the MBA. A true road warrior is probably not going to be satisfied with the iPad, even with a bluetooth keyboard. And the 13" MBP isn't significantly more functional. The only thing it has going for it is an optical drive - which is a problem for some people but not for all.

In fact, since using my iPad with LogMeIn, I'm more likely to buy an MBA for my next laptop, rather than less likely. I have all my files on my home server which I can access all the time, so there's no need for all the much processing power on my laptop.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It will be interesting from a technical standpoint to see what CPU it uses, since it is so thin.

Well, there was this via the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...ops-83924.html
post #33 of 104
I hope it's upgrade of the iMac.

I really want to buy a new iMac so I starting to hold my breath.

Gettin blue now, bluer and bluer
post #34 of 104
The MBA sucks.
post #35 of 104
Quote:

I see them continuing to consolidate the laptops until the MacBook Air can be made to be on par with the MacBook Pro (in terms of power and speed).

As an iPad owner, I can say it has certainly eliminated the use of my laptop for many of my day to day tasks. Add one or two more features and I won't need to pull out my laptop for anything other than "heavy lifting".
post #36 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, there was this via the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...ops-83924.html

If they really are releasing so soon I doubt it will have more than 2 cores. Remember the brand new 13" only has 2 cores.
post #37 of 104
I don't understand this need to have one 'appliance' be everything to all people!

Is there overlap? Of course.

I enjoy my iMac with a large screen, wireless keyboard and the new 'touch' mouse.

I enjoy my MacBook b/c it does 99% of what my iMac does but I can do it at a restaurant sitting by the lake, (ie., create reports, update my website, etc.)

I enjoy my 3Gs iPhone b/c it does 85% of what my MacBook does as far staying connected and therefore I don't have to carry my MacBook everywhere I go!

I will enjoy my iPad 3Gs because it will allow me to show clients reports, website, etc., and I can 'view' media by that lake or in my living room, books, magazines, etc.

If business is good and my 4 year old MacBook gives up the ghost, I will most likely buy a new upgraded Air. Thinner, lighter, no superdrive and better battery pwr, 'instant on' SSD...far superior to my MacBook!

If my 4 year old intel iMac dies, I will replace it with a 27" iMac.

I will upgrade my iPhone to the 4th gen, too. If it is smaller, thinner, lighter, faster and has better battery life than my 3Gs.

It's all about productivity and ease of use! Hard to put a price on that!

Best
post #38 of 104
Hey - here's a what-if for ya.

What if the MBA was to become the larger iPad Pro? Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Brian
post #39 of 104
Quote:

Actually, now that I am using my iPad constantly, but still unable to leave my 13" MBP at home, the idea of an MBA is more appealing to me. (I guess I should also add that I recently sold my Nikon D3 as I am not actively doing photography anymore, so I don't really need the MBP horsepower.)

I would need a 10 hr battery in the MBA for it to be tempting to me, though. If they release a refresh that has the glass touchpad, black bezel, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HD, I think I would want one.

Fan or not, you have to admit that having TWO computers for a total of around 4 lbs. that can both run all day without being plugged in would be pretty remarkable!
post #40 of 104
Quote:

If they really are releasing so soon I doubt it will have more than 2 cores. Remember the brand new 13" only has 2 cores.

Supposedly new chips designed for ultra-thin laptops, which would not have been available for the 13" MBP. But, given the timing, it's probably not that likely, unless Apple got chips ahead of everyone else. But, I didn't look up the specs on these, so they might not be suitable.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday