or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday - Page 2

post #41 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I would need a 10 hr battery in the MBA for it to be tempting to me, though. If they release a refresh that has the glass touchpad, black bezel, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HD, I think I would want one.

Agreed! Well said....if the new MBA has the features you suggest, I think it could replace not only my MacBook but also my iMac as well. Perhaps I won't replace my iMac with another iMac after all. Just end up with an MBA, iPad and no desktop! Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

My daughter has only a MacBookPro and an iPhone for Med School. I offered to get her an iMac as well and she said no. She wants to keep things 'simple' and travel 'light!' Interesting.
post #42 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. Is it really too much trouble to get the facts before launching into your anti-iPad whining.

Sorry for being wrong about connecting a camera to it. I guess I should think a little longer before writing something. Anyway I just wanted to point out that the MBA and the iPad are two different things and I guess 80% of the people or more would agree with that.

Whether you prefer the MBA or the iPad depends on your needs.

I'm not anti-iPad! I'm just not a fan of it since I don't think it fits my needs. That's it.
post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

Does it sell well? Here in San Francisco, where you can't turn around without seeing a Macbook, I almost never see anyone with an Air. I think Apple keeps the Air around for image purposes and because of Jobs' obsession with thinness over function.
post #44 of 104
before the iPad I thought the future was the Air. Thin, light, 'instant on' SSD...I thought Apple would expand the line up to sit atop the MacBookPro line. A 10", 13", 15" and possibly a 17" Air.

Apple would then have two distinct 'pro' lines and people could decide which is the winner.

Granted the Air would have to have better battery life, lower cost, larger HD and more RAM than the current MBA. No small order!

Then the iPad came on the scene...for basic emailing, web browsing and viewing media it is truly a revolutionary product and may have put the kabash on the MBA expansion! If that was ever Apple's intention to expand the MBA lineup.

For Apple, these are 'good' problems to have!
post #45 of 104
The Macboook Air has a great screen that doesn't appear as glossy as the macbooks or pros. It can be used outdoors and the bezel gives it a clean, uniform look.

I just wish apple would drop its price, put i3/i5 in it and add more useful ports. If it had 3 usb ports and firewire or esata for $1500, I'd buy it.
post #46 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Does it sell well? Here in San Francisco, where you can't turn around without seeing a Macbook, I almost never see anyone with an Air. I think Apple keeps the Air around for image purposes and because of Jobs' obsession with thinness over function.

Then we must be living in different parts of San Francisco. I too live here and I do see people with MBA's. I see them quite a bit at SFO (Airport) and in downtown lounges in SF. I've owned my MBA for almost two years now. Fantastic machine. An iPad will never replace that simply because I use it to run VMware/XP on it and obviously, an iPad can't do that. What most people on this forum just truly, do not get - in even the least, is that the MBA does only a few things very well and that is it. Couple that with its weight / mobility (I commute by motorbike) and it without a doubt the most versatile BUSINESS-class machine around.

The only reason why folks never hear anything about the MBA is that most users are quite happy and don't feel the need to get on a forum and advertise it unlike the MBA haters that have used one for probably 2 minutes in an Apple store. Most MBA owners I know are professional, business-minded individuals and not the multi-USB-port, blu-ray, Crysis at 130fps type of crowd.
post #47 of 104
Yeah, when I lived in SF, I saw people with Macbook Airs (mostly in north beach). Not frequently, but enough to recognize they they were popular or trendy enough.
post #48 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I see them continuing to consolidate the laptops until the MacBook Air can be made to be on par with the MacBook Pro (in terms of power and speed).

As an iPad owner, I can say it has certainly eliminated the use of my laptop for many of my day to day tasks. Add one or two more features and I won't need to pull out my laptop for anything other than "heavy lifting".

I agree with this totally. It took me a while to get past that on-screen keyboard because i was taught to type properly, unlike my son, who was enjoying watching me struggle the first day we had the device

Now I see the potential of the ipad device and I like it better than I thought I would.
post #49 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

don't sweat it.

14 day return policy

take it back and tell them you're exchanging it for the new version. they should waive the restocking fee since it's under 14 days and replacing for a new model.

post #50 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?

honestly I don't think so. the Air never had the power to really do much of anything. and giving it that power would backtrack on the size factor cause of the need for batteries, fans etc. I really think they should just let it die

Quote:

Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

IF this update is real, they will allow you to return and upgrade or get the price difference as long as you do it rather quickly. like in the first couple of weeks. Also, since you used the first one there is technically a restock fee but if you are polite about it, often the managers will waive it since you are upgrading. Just make sure you back up the old guy cause they don't owe you a data transfer just cause. And I would verify the update and then wipe the old one yourself just to be safe. Who knows how long it will sit around the refurb center before someone does it.

Quote:
If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out.

Camera connection kit and a wifi link up.

As for charging, you always have the wall charger.

And you are right about one thing, the ipad is NOT a computer. Apple never claimed it was. This has always been positioned as a secondary piece to your 'complete solution'.

however you are wrong in the sense that the Air is fully featured. it is too slow for most of the things that an ipad can't do. Some of them will work but no where near as well as a Macbook/Pro. particularly given the huge price markup.

Quote:

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many

if you are going to make that statement you must have numbers to back it up. so give up the info.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #51 of 104
Here's a couple advertising angles to get rid of remaining stock of last year's model.

World's lightest, most expensive laptop, almost as powerful as a $500 netbook, but without the optical drive or standard connections.

or:

Twice as big as an iPad, 7 times more expensive, and 36% better performance! Plays Flash!
post #52 of 104
Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?
post #53 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.

I sold my MBA and bought a unibody MacBook about 18 months ago because 2GB of ram didn't suffice for me. I would much, much rather have a MacBook Air than a 13" MacBook Pro -- IF each has 4GB of ram. If the new MBA has 4GB of ram, I will order one immediately.

The only processors that I can imagine being offered are the i7-620LM and the i7-640LM.

I really hope that the MacBook Air follows the recent example of the 15" MBP and the not-so-recent example of the 17" MBP and comes with a 132dpi screen -- at least as an option.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #54 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if you are going to make that statement you must have numbers to back it up. so give up the info.

This article is about Apple possibly updating the Air. If it is indeed true, then Apple believes the market is still out there. So that is enough as far as I'm concerned.

In this particular case, for you to imply that it is not selling well, why don't you provide the numbers to back that up?
post #55 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?

Sure. If you need to run specific Mac applications, expect to be doing a good deal of content creation (including typing), etc., the Air would be a better fit than the iPad alone.

And if your needs are modest, and weight is a real issue, the Air might be better than a MB or 13" MBP.

Lots of people, lots of potential requirement differences.
post #56 of 104
Quote:

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA.

Been doing it for a couple weeks now. Not sending out masses of pictures, but in small batches through email, sure. It's better for showing collections to friends/potential clients.

Quite useful, actually.

Now, editing the pictures, that's something else entirely. For now.
post #57 of 104
Quote:

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

Only the successful ones.

{ ducks, scurries away }
post #58 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Here's a couple advertising angles to get rid of remaining stock of last year's model.

World's lightest, most expensive laptop,

Not even close to being the most expensive, even discounting high-end MBP models. Like a Sony Vaio TT (with an 11" screen, at that), or one of the upper model Alienware laptops.

Quote:
almost as powerful as a $500 netbook,

Right. Them Atoms being so powerful.

Wait.

Quote:
but without the optical drive or standard connections.

Ah yes, the netbooks with built-in optical drives. Kind of scarce on the ground, except for something like the Asus Eee PC 1004DN. With an Atom N280 processor, 10-inch display, and weighs 3.19 pounds. Which is .19 lbs heavier than an Air. Smaller display.

Kewl.

Not quite set for marketing, at least where truth in advertising laws apply.
post #59 of 104
I think this page is fairly definitive on what the new Macbook Air will focus on:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

If you look at the bottom, there's already an updated graphic linking to the Macbook Air page. It says "more storage, faster graphics".

I'll be interested to see what the whole thing looks like though, I've been thinking about getting a MacBook of some sort for a while now, and as I don't do anything that needs a powerful processor I thought i'd wait and see what the new Air offers before choosing one.

David
post #60 of 104
I am changing my MB soon and am waiting on a MBA refresh. Apart from the power increase and ram, one thing I really want are built in stereo speakers not the Mono speaker the MBA currently has.
Question to MBA users : is the MBA loud enough, I mean as loud as a 13" MBP?
post #61 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The MBA sucks.

Not really. It has a smaller targeted market, people who need light-weight notebook appreciate it.
Apple had me at scrolling
post #62 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Could you imagine. Touch screen?

I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.

What would it run? There's no Touch Screen Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Actually Flash is a pretty big enemy of Air. It heats it up to extreme temps.
post #63 of 104
Quote:

. . . almost as powerful as a $500 netbook . . . Twice as big as an iPad, 7 times more expensive, and 36% better performance!

What a stunning ignorance of the technical differences between the Nvidia9400/Core2Duo and the underpowered chips that you find in netbooks. The cramped, crappy keyboards and screens you find on netbooks simply cannot be compared to the LED screen and properly sized keyboard found on the MBA.

36% better performance than an iPad? Such a comment is even more ignorant than the other one.
post #64 of 104
The MBA is a brilliant machine. I have just about every Mac going and the MBA is by far and away my favourite. I don't miss the optical drive, I think I have only ever plugged the drive in twice since I have owned this machine. I think people here are obsessed with speed and performance but we have now reached the point where the most basic machine is fast enough for about 98% of the population.

I think there would be a market for a 10.6" MBA, it would be really popular with all sorts of people. The iPad will eventually go the same way as the Palm Pilot. Apple will sell millions but in fifteen years time we will still be buying laptops but doubt the iPad will still be on sale in 15 years.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #65 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by imawake View Post

I just wish apple would drop its price, put i3/i5 in it and add more useful ports. If it had 3 usb ports and firewire or esata for $1500, I'd buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The only processors that I can imagine being offered are the i7-620LM and the i7-640LM.

i3 - maybe - if they're willing to give up the discrete graphics. It may not matter for the MBA.

i7 or i5? Not a chance. Energy consumption is way too high.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #66 of 104
I'm not seeing a viable option in Intel's lineup for the MBA update. Could they be using another chip not yet released to the general public?

I hope it's updated, but with Intel HD IGP as the only option Arrandale seems unattractive. Also, the biggest failing of the MBA is the anemic battery life.

PS: The largest 1.8" HDD and SSD seem to both top out at 160GB but I think the HDD is a couple millimeters thicker. This year will bring with 50% more storage at the same price point. That tipping point is getting closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgarrett View Post

What if the MBA was to become the larger iPad Pro? Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Do you have an argument and scenario as to how that could possibly work? I can't think of any that make those a convergence device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

i3 - maybe - if they're willing to give up the discrete graphics. It may not matter for the MBA.

i7 or i5? Not a chance. Energy consumption is way too high.

The MBA currently uses an IGP, not a dGPU.

Core-i5 and i7 are the ONLY Arrandale options for the MBA. Core-i3 only offers 35W chips.

Core-i5 and i7 both have 18W chips. These are an extra 1W TDP over the current CULV C2Ds, but they more than makes up for it by integrating the Northbridge. The part mclaring got wrong is the model number, which end UM/UE, not LM.

Still, there are other issues than the power and heat requirements being okay. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #67 of 104
Quote:

Are you really asking this about a company whose hardware and software features change based on Steve Job's whim?
post #68 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuby View Post

I think this page is fairly definitive on what the new Macbook Air will focus on:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

If you look at the bottom, there's already an updated graphic linking to the Macbook Air page. It says "more storage, faster graphics".

I'll be interested to see what the whole thing looks like though, I've been thinking about getting a MacBook of some sort for a while now, and as I don't do anything that needs a powerful processor I thought i'd wait and see what the new Air offers before choosing one.

David

That is such an awesome find, especially seeing as that pic says NEW.

Hopefully storage includes RAM. As for faster graphics, I'm guessing that implies the same deal as the 13" MBP, C2D and 320 whatever GPU? All reports suggest that the solution would not be in any way faster if they went low wattage i7 or similar.
post #69 of 104
Big fan of the MBA. Bought one last year and I'm very satisfied with it. I'll probably skip this years model though. Don't need an upgrade quite yet. More memory & battery life would be on the top of my list. I think performance is fine for what it is. I actually hope they keep the visual style about the same. The silver border just looks better to me. Not a huge fan of the new glass trackpad either but I suppose that's inevitable. Would like to see a 10" model too.
post #70 of 104
Perhaps I am in the minority, but every time I open up my MacBook Pro I sigh when I look at all the space that the optical drive is wasting. I would much rather have that space occupied by more LiPo battery cells. As crazy as it sounds, after using the iPad since it came out, I frequently feel as though I am carrying around a notebook that is thicker than it has to be.
post #71 of 104
Quote:

.... 7 times more expensive......

Really don't know basic arithmetic, do you?
post #72 of 104
I have a first gen MBAir and think it's the best laptop I've ever used. Compared to a Dell or Sony laptop there is just no comparison. I do see Macbook Pro 13" as a better 'value' however, but I'm willing to pay a premium for the form factor.

There are a few things I would like it to have:

1. more memory
2. longer battery life
3. better ports - more accessible USB port since some USB devices can't connect directly since the space is so tight. This forces me to use a USB cable of some type, and to me is a fatal design flaw
4. stronger screen hinge
5. of course better performance

and...

6. a price drop

I don't think the above wishes are too much to expect. If they have all 6 I'll be the first to buy a new one.
post #73 of 104
Quote:

...you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't.

I must've fallen asleep and woken up on Opposite World.

When did one USB port = "fully featured" ? Wha?

Yikes!
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Are you really asking this about a company whose hardware and software features change based on Steve Job's whim?

Funny, those "whims" brought Apple back from the brink and turned it into a consistently profitable and influential company.

Success in the computer/personal electronics industry is not about placating the idealistic and vocal minority but creating value for as many of their customers as they can. Despite the whining and ranting that pollutes the blogosphere and forums, Apple has done a pretty good job overall at this.
post #75 of 104
Quote:

I'd love to know just how well the MacBook Air sells, and in particular, in comparison to the 13" MacBook Pro.

What do you reckon the ratio will be?

100:1?

500:1?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #76 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I'd love to know just how well the MacBook Air sells, and in particular, in comparison to the 13" MacBook Pro.

What do you reckon the ratio will be?

100:1?

500:1?

Don't have figures, but it's a start: Top Seller Lists for Mac:

US Apple Store #6
Japan Store #5

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #77 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Actually you can transfer pictures from a camera to an ipad using the camera connection kit. Apple demonstrated this.

But how do I get them from my iPad to an external hard drive?

I'm typing this on my iPad, but also have a MacBook with me to save files off of my cards to my hard drive
post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You mean the iPad Camera Connector kit doesn't actually exist? It's the same one as the iPod Camera Connector Kit that has been around for ages.

Actually it's not. I have the iPod connetor and it doesn't work on the iPad.

Quote:
If anything kills off the Air it would be the 13" Pro

I agree. I was hoping for a footprint like my PB G4 12" . The air was a disappointment in that regard. However if I was a frequent flyer and needed a capable machine, the air still has quite a bit of appeal.
post #79 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Yes, Apple continuously flys off the handle with half-assed decisions.

Bbecause that's how successful companies operate
post #80 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumbleGus View Post

Funny, those "whims" brought Apple back from the brink and turned it into a consistently profitable and influential company.

Success in the computer/personal electronics industry is not about placating the idealistic and vocal minority but creating value for as many of their customers as they can. Despite the whining and ranting that pollutes the blogosphere and forums, Apple has done a pretty good job overall at this.

Thank god apple pretty much ignores such idiocraty and continues to march to their own drummer. Laughing all the way to the bank...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday