or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad 3G is SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile network in Japan

iPad 3G is SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile network in Japan - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I'm not sure who is worse? The people complaining or the people complaining about the people complaining, or me the person complaining about the person complaining about the people complaining? or, oh I don't know.

A nice note to end on.

Good night to all and may Tuesday bring us some more great Apple products.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashimi View Post

1. a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.
2. you cannot buy a unit only
3. you cannot buy a simcard
4. prepaid units are also carrier locked

1. true.
2. false. Nokia had been selling their devices in their B&M stores unlocked prior to pulling out. Their Vertu brand also currently sells units unlocked with no service.
3. false. It is common practice for foreigners to bring phones from overseas and use a local service.
4. true.

I understand the rationale behind protecting consumers and service providers from network abuse/fraud/etc. At the same time I also find that the Japanese government often needlessly regulates certain business practices in order to conveniently keep foreign competition out.

I agree with government regulation in booming industries (think Toyota), but I often wish METI and the likes would simply have some strategic foresight and give up on dying industries like that of the Japanese cell phone industry.

I also strongly hope that every mobile computer manufacturer here in Japan gets their collective asses kicked by the iPad. I sincerely hope that they learn a little something called innovation and putting Drucker into practice.
post #43 of 87
So, I just wonder...

Do you think I could take my U.S. iPad to Japan and sign on to Softbank for one month at $40?
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is it too much for you to understand that Apple is not the one requiring locked phones in Japan?

At the time of the keynote, Apple believed that it would be true that the devices would be unlocked. Since then, something happened and they are not able to offer unlocked devices in Japan. Perhaps NO ONE in Japan would support unlocked devices. How is that Apple's fault?

So what should Apple do? Refuse to sell it in Japan? How is that better for consumers than allowing it to be sold locked?

Geez. Some people will attack Apple for the stupidest reasons.

I am criticizing Apple's business strategy of having exclusive deals with telecom carriers.

Now you seem to imply that this Japan situation is not a business decision on Apple's part, but a consequence of doing business in Japan. That it only coincidentally resembles Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T on the iPad and iPhone.
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I am criticizing Apple's business strategy of having exclusive deals with telecom carriers.

Now you seem to imply that this Japan situation is not a business decision on Apple's part, but a consequence of doing business in Japan. That it only coincidentally resembles Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T on the iPad and iPhone.

Apple's business strategy has been extremely effective over the past 10 years. What evidence can you provide that you know more about business strategy than Apple?

Not to mention that it's apparently a requirement of doing business in Japan (see below). So Apple's choice was:
a. Sell iPads via the mechanism allowed by law in Japan, even though it requires that they be locked
or
B. Don't sell iPads in Japan at all.

Please explain how 'B' is better for consumers.

Quote:

if you have lived in japan. you should know some policies regarding cellular services here:

- a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.
- you cannot buy a unit only
- you cannot buy a simcard
- prepaid units are also carrier locked

so this is not apple, softbank or japan's fault. this is how the system runs here. due to some cellular abused before, a law have been enacted to protect consumers. i hope i clear something here.

Thank you for the clarification. So it's clearly not something Apple can control.

Given that it's the law there, then Jobs should not have said that they''d be selling iPads unlocked in all countries, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #46 of 87
Are Apple being deliberately and nefariously restrictive, or not?
post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

We decided they are not.
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple in Japan... pathetic. If I didn't absolutely love their devices, they would have lost me as a customer years ago for the way they operate here.

yes but is it Apple that made the choice or was it forced on them in order to get the needed clearance to import the ipad into the country. Like China did (or at least tried) with Wifi on the phones.

Quote:

Actually it's both: Apple signed a contract with SoftBank that lets them market the iPad in a certain way. Sure, it is SoftBank making the plans, but I would have thought (hoped) Apple could have pulled a little more.

so is it Softbank or Apple that you work for. since you are privy to the contracts that have been signed. Or is it standard in Japan for all contracts to be published in the local paper so everyone is an authority.
If this kind of openness is par for the course it is a wonder that Apple has any thing to do with Japan what with Job's "cult of secrecy"
post #49 of 87
Quote:

Apple in Japan... pathetic. If I didn't absolutely love their devices, they would have lost me as a customer years ago for the way they operate here.

I certainly see your frustration, but I think blaming Apple is silly. They have 7 stores in the entire country so it seems that if they want a physical presence they have to partner up. If they want to sell the 3G version they need carrier. I can't see Apple saying "we want to lock it in Japan and we don't care what SoftBank wants, this is how it's going to be".

Surely this was SoftBank's doing. Maybe Apple fought hard against it or maybe they didn't, it's irrelevant because the bottom line is Apple creating products you love specifically to make a profit so why begrudge a company that has a limitation in your country for that same reason to make a profit. Their whole purpose is to make a profit. Satisfying your needs is simply a means to that end. In this locking issue it's to satisfy SoftBank, also their customer.

Quote:

Presumably, at the time that he made the announcement, Jobs believed it to be true. Something happened in the next 3 months to change that. $hit happens.

And it is and was true. Apple wasn't speaking for the entire world's telcos on that stage in January. He was speaking about AT&T, the one carrier they had inked deals with.

The real kicker, I think the great (for US) pricing and no 1700MHz band for T-Mobile despite beiig unlocked is a strong indicator that the iPhone HD will only be usable on AT&T in the US. I'm fine with that, but I do hope it's also unlocked like the iPad as the only option in the US would be T-Mobile on EDGE, so AT&T would be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkaholik View Post

iPad in Japan:

All Models:
- Free WiFi access to Softbank Mobile's Hotspots(mostly McDonalds) for the first 24 months.

WiFi Models:
- Can be bought from the Apple Online store
- Above-mentioned free WiFi Access

WiFi + 3G Models:
- Can't be reserved online, only at stores
- Sim-Locked to Softbank Mobile
- Data Plan Prices:
-> Roughly $30 on a 2 year contract (Unlimited data plan);
-> Roughly $40 a la carte (30 days or 1GB of data, whichever comes first)
=========================---

Reserved the WiFi only model, then I'm planning on applying for the WiMax Mobile Internet Service at roughly $40 per month a la carte. Same price as the 3G but faster. Service areas are pretty limited but if you live in major/ key cities then there's no problem. The [free access to wifi hotspots serivce] for all models is pretty sweet though.

You get free WiFi through Japan, even on the WiFi model and without a contract for the life of the device?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #50 of 87
Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?
post #51 of 87
Quote:

Thanks for the insult.

I stand by my opinion that Apple Japan could be greatly improved and that that would help Apple do better business in this country. Whether it would have helped with SIMS specifically, I'm not entirely sure, but as a general opinion, yeah, I'll stand by it.

Why?

Quote:
As defined: Ignorance is where someone or something is uninformed. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same. The word "Ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware.

Any suggestion that Apple is sitting idly by and hasn't been attempting to address the business strategies as it applies to Japan in ludicrous. Japan has one of the most restrictive trade practices in the world. It is something that foreign interests have been confronting for centuries. And in the scheme of things not very well, and for a thousand and one reasons, a thousand and one tips on how to succeed and a thousand and one individuals to tell you how.
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The iPad is unlocked in the US so your argument is already flawed (there is no exclusive deal for the iPad). There just are no other service providers that offer the same 3G technology. It will work on t mobile over EDGE, their 3G frequencies are not supported on the iPad.

In Canada you can use the iPad on 3 (or 4 depending on how you count) national carriers, and it appears that it will be unlocked in every country except Japan. Why do you insist on the illogical conclusion that Apple somehow wanted to lock it in Japan and only Japan?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And it is and was true. Apple wasn't speaking for the entire world's telcos on that stage in January. He was speaking about AT&T, the one carrier they had inked deals with.

That was my original thought, too, but I checked the transcript and he did say that it would be unlocked around the world.

Either it was a mistake or something changed.

I personally don't think it's fair to crucify him even if it was a mistake. After all, there are hundreds of countries and Apple is trying to make generalizations so that people can understand the advice. If one country out of 200 requires locked phones, i's a little harsh to attack him for that one exception.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #54 of 87
Quote:

Why is it that people have to come out on attack as soon as there's ANY news about Apple?

Presumably, at the time that he made the announcement, Jobs believed it to be true. Something happened in the next 3 months to change that. $hit happens.

How come some people defend him no matter what he does?
post #55 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?

Are you sure it is Flash? Check the source code. You will probably not find Flash.
post #56 of 87
Quote:

That was my original thought, too, but I checked the transcript and he did say that it would be unlocked around the world.

Either it was a mistake or something changed.

I personally don't think it's fair to crucify him even if it was a mistake. After all, there are hundreds of countries and Apple is trying to make generalizations so that people can understand the advice. If one country out of 200 requires locked phones, i's a little harsh to attack him for that one exception.

You're right. At 1h:14m:45s into the video he said that "All of iPad 3G models are unlocked" and he said this right after mentioning the International deals. He clearly implied that they'd all be unlocked, however, just prior to that he also stated that they "hope to have international deals in place in the June-July timeframe" then followed by, "and we're going to start on that tomorrow."

More wishful thinking than a statement of fact as it would be impossible to know what other carriers would require worldwide when you haven't even started shopping for carriers outside the US. Would have been best if he said that they we're trying to get all iPad 3Gs to be unlocked everywhere, but overall it's not a big deal.

PS: Bergermeister, if you want an unlocked iPad 3G just send me the money+tax+shipping and I'll send you one. No charge for my time.
post #57 of 87
It does appear that softbank is subsidizing the ipad somewhat --- in terms of eating the 2 year interest payment.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/25169/
post #58 of 87
I am an Apple customer since my first computer ever -PowerBook 165c when it was launched- and I have since bought a Mac a year in average, I have bought countless iPods as gifts and for personal use since they hit the stores and I have always recommended Macs to lots of people, I say this because I want to make sure that you understand that I am not an Apple hater.
I was disappointed that the iPhone was locked to SoftBank but well... WTH... I can live with that, but the iPad also being locked to SoftBank is like if a MacBook would require you to sing a contract with ATT to be bought.
We want competition, we want better quality service and better pricing for internet access!

Quote:

if you have lived in japan. you should know some policies regarding cellular services here:

- a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.
- you cannot buy a unit only
- you cannot buy a simcard
- prepaid units are also carrier locked

Even if all of this was true -which is not- why is not available in other carriers -au, docomo, willcom"-?

SoftBank will not sell MicroSIMs alone to enable imported iPads, an all 3G iPads sold in Japan will have their SIMs.
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Ah, you bring up a sad truth (and a dirty little secret)! Shhhhhh......
post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post

SoftBank will not sell MicroSIMs alone to enable imported iPads, an all 3G iPads sold in Japan will have their SIMs.

Why is that a problem?
post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Why?

Any suggestion that Apple is sitting idly by and hasn't been attempting to address the business strategies as it applies to Japan in ludicrous. Japan has one of the most restrictive trade practices in the world. It is something that foreign interests have been confronting for centuries. And in the scheme of things not very well, and for a thousand and one reasons, a thousand and one tips on how to succeed and a thousand and one individuals to tell you how.

Thanks again for your input, but I stand by my opinion that Apple could have done a lot more with their own systems (apple Japan, for example) that would have created a better environment over here for them. You can call me ignorant, my ideas ludicrous. I just know that if you call the Call Center about iPhone OS and they ask if that is an Apple product, they have a serious problem. If the Call Center can only manage to read the online help that Macs come pre-installed with and not provide any further assistance, they have a problem. When the call center refuse to accept a machine to be checked because nobody else has had the same problem, they have a problem. If you try to give feedback online, there is a checklist that lists up to an iTunes version 1 or 2 full version points ahead of what is current; there is a problem. When AJ was told of such a problem with their homepage and still haven't fixed it two years later, they have a problem. When they then repeat the same problem again on other feedback pages, they have a problem. When a customer places and order at an electronics shop and receives info from the shop that Apple got the order and will ship on a certain day and then suddenly Apple cancels the order and cuts ties with the shop, they have a serious problem. When retailers cringe at the thought of calling the repair center, they have a problem. When the B&M stores here that are run by A-USA say there is a problem with the call center, they have a serious problem. When the manager of the call center says she will have customer relations call a customer immediately and that call still hasn't come after two years, they have a serious problem. When a sales rep was told of the unreceived call and said he would have them call and the the call still hasn't come, they have a serious problem. When they decline some service option for a machine that is built to order as is recommended on their own online store site, they have a problem. When they suddenly tell a shop that they are installing a special counter and to make space for it, only to yank it a little over a year later at less than a week's notice, they have a problem. When they suddenly withdraw from almost all retailers very suddenly without providing reasons and without helping with floor stock, leaving them unable to explain to their customers what happened, they have a serious problem. When they inspect a computer at their repair center and certify it as OK only to have the customer decline to accept it because the screen is badly tilted, they have a problem. When they have never fixed the original iPod nano that has its titled screen, they have a problem. When four out of seven machines a single customer ordered in the past few years have needed replacement, they have a quality control problem. When a customer writes a request for help listing five questions regarding a possible security situation with iTunes and the iPhone systems here in Japan after having seen stories about bogus billing on the news and receives a rambling answer to one, they have a problem. Need I go on? I could give more example, but that should be enough.

Most of these are relatively simple things to fix internally. Yes, I base my opinion on experience. No, I don't work for them never have never will. No, I don't own stock and never will. I simply am a dissatisfied and frustrated customer who simply wants service on par with what I receive from every other maker I use here in Japan, and I think they have had plenty of time to fix a few of the internal problems they have.

post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOFIA111 View Post

2. false. Nokia had been selling their devices in their B&M stores unlocked prior to pulling out. Their Vertu brand also currently sells units unlocked with no service.

no. vertu have their own network from which they buy wholesale from other carriers to service their customers. they cannot sell units without cellular service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOFIA111 View Post

3. false. It is common practice for foreigners to bring phones from overseas and use a local service.

no again. prepaid kits are not available for purchase to non-residents of japan. maybe you are talking about rental prepaid kits, which are only available in narita and kansai airport. you can ditch the phone and use the simcard to your non-japanese phone, but they won't offer support to configure its settings. you are on your own.

regards,
post #63 of 87
As late as April 28th, DoCoMo was supposed to provide the miniSIMs for the iPad in Japan (Mainichi Shimbun), so talks either broke down in early May, or Softbank made Apple an offer it couldn't refuse. In either case, users will be paying the tab for whatever lucrative option Softbank padded their contract with.

But again, could this be a way to prevent Japanese sales of the 3G model so to bolster international availability? Almost all the online tech sites/blogs/mags are recommending that people go with the WiFi model plus WiMax and avoid Softbank (and the 3G model) altogether...
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

As late as April 28th, DoCoMo was supposed to provide the miniSIMs for the iPad in Japan (Mainichi Shimbun), so talks either broke down in early May, or Softbank made Apple an offer it couldn't refuse. In either case, users will be paying the tab for whatever lucrative option Softbank padded their contract with.

Mini SIM is the standard SIM card for phones right now. Micro SIM is what the iPad uses. This change in the SIM card plastic does not, in any way, make the iPad locked, that is done on the internal cellular HW.

Furthermore, mobile carriers not supplying Micro SIMs does not in anyway affect the ability for the iPad to take the typical Mini SIM. All you have to do is grab a pair of scissor and trim to the right size. Takes just a moment to do.

Quote:
But again, could this be a way to prevent Japanese sales of the 3G model so to bolster international availability?

Hurting sales in one country to increase sales in another country does not affect Apple's bottom line and could hurt them in the public eye. This is the SoftBank requiring the lock, not Apple.
post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We decided they are not.

Urm... Who's "We"?
post #66 of 87
Quote:

...I do hope [the iPhone 4G is] also unlocked like the iPad as the only option in the US would be T-Mobile on EDGE, so AT&T would be safe.

Heh. Good bl**dy luck with that mate.
post #67 of 87
Quote:

PS: Bergermeister, if you want an unlocked iPad 3G just send me the money+tax+shipping and I'll send you one. No charge for my time.

Hmm.. the problem is getting a MicroSIM. Did we even debate here why MicroSIMs are used instead of regular SIMs? To prevent use in countries where the iPad is not launched? It is clearly not a design decision. I'm sure this has been discussed to death on other threads, so I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: From user rcfa in another thread:

@nvidia2008: microSIMs are just like regular SIM cards, just smaller. You can cut down your existing SIM card and put it into an adapter to put it back into a phone. It's important to remember that not that long ago SIM cards were the size of credit cards... The chip and contact surfaces however have not changed in all that time, just the empty plastic surrounding it.

Very interesting...
post #68 of 87
Went to a SoftBank shop in the city today about a couple of things and got some interesting info.

A SoftBank employee told me:

- SIM locking is NOT required by law, but is standard practice by the cell companies. The government in April said that the practice should be banned and they will work towards that. The problem is DoCoMo has iMode, SoftBank has its system and so on, so that while the phones might work for speech on other systems, some bigger functionality might be lost. The companies are considering how to change this. He added that it would have been best for both companies had they presented the locked situation before launch.

- SoftBank last week sent out mailings to its shops that contained basic info for them regarding the iPad; most shops won't carry it but they need to know how to handle customers. The prices listed in the mailings changed at least four times in under a week; the staff said that the shops were confused and also that it was odd that even with the extra month due to Apple's delay, SB's home office still hadn't solidified its program. He said the same thing happened with the original iPhone and the 3GS, so it is a regular thing for Apple devices, though he wasn't happy with it. He didn't know if it was changes on the part of SB, Apple or both.

- SB has a call center for the iPhone, as does Apple Japan. He said that often when a customer called the AJ center, they (the AJ CC) would call the SB center for help as the AJ CC, for some unknown reason, wasn't able to provide assistance.

- He couldn't understand the decision for SB to import the WiFi only models in addition to the 3G. He thought perhaps it was a channeling issue to simplify matters.

---

So, the law here doesn't require locking and there is movement to end the practice altogether. Apple could have been in a good position to pressure SB on this, but quite possibly they were given a firm no. From his comments about the AJ CC, it is clear that SB doesn't have a great impression of AJ's abilities, thus reaffirming my belief that Apple Japan has weakened Apple's ability to leverage deals in Japan.

post #69 of 87
Quote:

Thanks for the offer but I ordered a WiFi model as that is basically all I need (for now). I will consider the 3G in the future if my wife decides she wants an iPad, too.

post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

But again, could this be a way to prevent Japanese sales of the 3G model so to bolster international availability? Almost all the online tech sites/blogs/mags are recommending that people go with the WiFi model plus WiMax and avoid Softbank (and the 3G model) altogether...

I don't think anybody is actively trying to limit sales here, but I certainly don't get the impression that all parties involved are trying hard to increase sales. With a little effort, Apple sales here could be through the roof, i-devices and Mac.

post #71 of 87
Malaysia Maxis MicroSIM details leaked:
http://twitpic.com/1muyp7

Internal document screenshot

"The MicroSim... and is specially manufactured for... Maxis is the first operator in Malaysia to offer this convenience... to customers who are looking forward to the best technologies and services compatible with the latest devices.

Customers are able to sign up for a Micro SIM at any of our 31 Maxis centres nationwide.

To start surfing on the Apple iPad 3G with the Maxis Micro SIM, customers may sign up either a Postpaid Mobile Data plan or a Maxis Broadband Plan:

Mobile Data
500MB RM 58 per month
1.5GB RM 78 per month
3.0GB RM 88 per month

Maxis Broadband
1.5GB RM 48 per month
3.0GB RM 68 per month
6.0GB RM 98 per month
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Apple clearly hasn't sought out exclusivity in any other market.

I think this should be a warning to anyone outside of Canada and the US. This is complete bullshitt. I'm faking pissed.

Regular internet here (Hikari Flets etc) is about $60 per month. There's $30 ADSL but that's slow so that doesn't count. Then there is your wonderful SoftBank mobile phone bill of about $90 per month. There are a couple of Wi-Fi plans you can buy for example SoftBank/YahooBB HotSpot service or NTT's service. Any of them will set you back $30-$40 per month. **Note This WiFi absolutely sucks balls. It's basically only major areas like airports, train stations and some cafes. Unless you're in the core of Tokyo you'll probably have to do some good hunting. Even in Osaka it's slim pickin's.

So basically you have to pay for regular internet, city Wi-Fi, iPhone and iPad bills? Are you kidding me? These companies here in Japan need to die a fast death. They ALL suck gonads.
post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I think this should be a warning to anyone outside of Canada and the US. This is complete bullshitt. I'm faking pissed.

Regular internet here (Hikari Flets etc) is about $60 per month. There's $30 ADSL but that's slow so that doesn't count. Then there is your wonderful SoftBank mobile phone bill of about $90 per month. There are a couple of Wi-Fi plans you can buy for example SoftBank/YahooBB HotSpot service or NTT's service. Any of them will set you back $30-$40 per month. **Note This WiFi absolutely sucks balls. It's basically only major areas like airports, train stations and some cafes. Unless you're in the core of Tokyo you'll probably have to do some good hunting. Even in Osaka it's slim pickin's.

So basically you have to pay for regular internet, city Wi-Fi, iPhone and iPad bills? Are you kidding me? These companies here in Japan need to die a fast death. They ALL suck gonads.

That's not significantly different than anywhere else in the world. Few places (if any) have universal WiFi coverage, much less free universal WiFi coverage.

I pay for regular Internet (Cable). I pay for a home phone bill. I pay for a mobile phone bill. I have a separate fee for data usage on my mobile phone. I pay for WiFi service. and I pay for data on my iPad 3G.

Some carriers in the US offer combined plans, but ultimately, you pay for what you use. That's no different than Japan - other than it apparently being illegal to sell unlocked phones in Japan if what someone else posted is true.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #74 of 87
Quote:

Some carriers in the US offer combined plans, but ultimately, you pay for what you use. That's no different than Japan - other than it apparently being illegal to sell unlocked phones in Japan if what someone else posted is true.

According to a SoftBank rep I spoke to yesterday, there is no law requiring phones to be locked. It is the carriers that decide to do this. The government in April said it will start moving to ban locking.

So, as far as I can discern, it is legal to sell unlocked phones, but the companies prefer not to.

---

On the issue of rates here, SB lowered its rate for the iPhone a while back and then lowered it again, making things cheaper than they were. The iPad 3G data plans could be a little lower but seem about right to me. As in the US, it would have been great if Apple had been able to negotiate an awesome deal like the sign up as you need it with no contract that they got in the US. To get a decent rate here, you must sign a two year contract. The as you go contract is pricey. Again, I just don't think Apple was in a good bargaining position to obtain a better plan, otherwise they could have actually brought about change in the mobile market here.

post #75 of 87
The company I used to work for was developing iPhone/mobile apps (flash Lite, Java). A while ago they bought an Android phone from abroad (there were no Androids yet in Japan) for development in advance of launch. I remember they would feed it one of the iPhones' SIM to make it work, so I guess the SIM lock is in the device, not the card.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The company I used to work for was developing iPhone/mobile apps (flash Lite, Java). A while ago they bought an Android phone from abroad (there were no Androids yet in Japan) for development in advance of launch. I remember they would feed it one of the iPhones' SIM to make it work, so I guess the SIM lock is in the device, not the card.

My friend @ Kyocera here in Japan said the same thing. They always buy lots of different phones for developing.
post #77 of 87
I think the SIM lock is on the iPad, too, just makes more sense that way. My 2 cents.
post #78 of 87
Seriously. I sent him an email about it and got one of his famous one-line replies this evening as follows:

Actually, the version of iPad sold in Japan does accept international SIMs.

doug

p.s. Sorry - don't know how to edit the title. I meant iPad not iPhone.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglerner View Post

Seriously. I sent him an email about it and got one of his famous one-line replies this evening as follows:

Actually, the version of iPad sold in Japan does accept international SIMs.

doug

p.s. Sorry - don't know how to edit the title. I meant iPad not iPhone.

Submit the email with MIME info to AI as a story.
post #80 of 87
The author of this article concludes Apple had promised to provide SIM-unlocked iPads to all carriers all over the world before it decided to provide SIM-locked ones to SoftBank in Japan as an exception. But that's not the case.

You can make sure in Apple's Web sites of the 9 countries where the iPads will debut in 28-May that 3G carriers are limited in every country. In some countries the same carriers provide 3G connections to both iPhone and iPad, but in others the different set of carriers divide the two domains. This suggests that iPads mostly are SIM-locked to specific carriers and Apple doesn't assure iPad will be available for all 3G mobile carriers operating in every country.

Considering such actual situation, the author should have concluded Japan isn't an exception in the Apple's world marketing strategy.

I've read an interview article with a member of the management of Apple (I've forgotten his name) in which he described Apple's world market strategy for iPhones that the company have decided collaboration with partner carriers they choosed based on the situation in each area. I don't think any change occurred in this policy. It seems unlikely that Apple changes the policy and supplies the magical devices by unlocking SIMs even to carriers not demanding it.

It is undoubted that SoftBank loves Apple but Docomo doesnt.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad 3G is SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile network in Japan