or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor

Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor

post #1 of 87
Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed to The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that his company is working with Google to create a tablet device to compete with the iPad.

"What do we think the next big wave of opportunities are?" McAdam said during an interview with the paper. "We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."

The chief executive declined, however, to discuss details on the hardware, such as who might manufacture it or when it would be released. Android has played a significant role in Verizon's efforts to combat the iPhone, and McAdam portrayed the collaborative tablet effort with Google in the same light as their existing handset efforts.

When Verizon and Google announced their partnership last October, they even went as far as to specifically highlight the ability of Android phones to utilize the Google Voice service -- something Apple has famously prohibited from software on its App Store.

Years ago, Verizon passed on the iPhone, and AT&T instead signed a longterm exclusive contract with Apple for the touchscreen device. The iPhone has helped AT&T to close the gap with Verizon, which is the largest wireless carrier in the U.S.

McAdam told the Journal that Verizon now must catch up with AT&T in the mobile data business, as AT&T is the exclusive carrier for Apple's iPhone, and offers the only 3G data plans in the U.S. for the iPad. He noted that Verizon's CDMA network has held it back, but revealed that the carrier will show new 4G-capable devices in early 2011, when its new high-speed network is in place. The current plan is to have the network operational in 25 to 30 cities by the end of 2010.

McAdam said he believes the new network will usher in tiered data plans for his network, noting that "the old model of one price plan per device is going to fall away." He acknowledged that users who buy devices that run on next-generation networks will likely pay more to access than customers do on current 3G networks.

For its part, AT&T has repeatedly denied that it will move towards tiered data plans for mobile customers. But AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson raised eyebrows in March when he said he believes the industry will move towards "variable pricing." The exclusive carrier of the iPhone currently offers unlimited plans for Apple's handset, as well as the iPad.

"For the industry, we will progressively move towards more of what I call variable pricing," Stephenson said in March. "The heavy consumers will pay different than the lower consumers."
post #2 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam...

Verizon Wireless CEO to clarify (Verizon's "chief" CEO is Ivan Seidenberg)

Check out my own prediction!
post #3 of 87
I am at the Boylston Apple Store in Boston right now and they are out of stock of all iPads -- wifi and 3Gs.

It's already 830 pm, and still lots of people. The competition has to really work hard and be very innovative and very imaginative to come up with something that will compare with the iPad.

Using the iPad 3G of course, but cannot test the 3G feature.

CGC
post #4 of 87
Quote:

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed to The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that his company is working with Google to create a tablet device to compete with the iPad.

"What do we think the next big wave of opportunities are?" McAdam said during an interview with the paper. "We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."

Yeah, put them all in. That's the ticket.
post #5 of 87
Well this should put to rest any ideas of a Verison iPhone now, right?
post #6 of 87
Is Apple the gold standard now? I bet Verizon regrets passing on the iPhone.
post #7 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Reason: Does anyone read this?

Nope.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 87
Quote:

I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.

Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.

I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #9 of 87
So long as Verizon keeps its mouth shut and stays out of the way, this could just catch on!

</sarcasm>
post #10 of 87
Quote:

More of a confusing mish-mash of confusing mish-mash than a prediction IMO.

Your main argument, (that the iPad is too heavy), is not supported by the very comparisons you yourself make with other current products.
post #11 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.

Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.

It's certainly a sad state of affairs that after all this time, the rest of the industry has now delegated themselves to the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of innovation. They have to do minimal R&D work now since they essentially wait for what Apple comes out with and then get the copy machines fired-up.

Of course, there will be those folks that will say that Apple was not the first to create a tablet. However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!
post #12 of 87
Quote:

We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?

Video conferencing, possibly camera.... what else?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?

You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?

/sarcasm
post #14 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

...However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!

Unless you count the Newton as a tablet...
(I admit it's debatable)
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #15 of 87
Quote:

This post says it all.

We will deconstruct this phenomenon for years to come....... I don't think it (iPad+iPhone+iPod) can be matched -- even by Apple -- in the future.
post #16 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

/sarcasm

post #17 of 87
Quote:

oooo dont forget the built in USB port and SD card reader.

And im not talking about the kind you can plug into the 30 pin connector... what are we, in the ice ages?? </sc>

/rant on

It is actually quite a sad day because all google is going to do now is release some iPad clone that is not quite as good in any areas, BUT is a lot cheaper.

This then results in all the google fan boys saying that the new googlepad is better thanks to it having higher market share etc etc. Lets not also mention the amount of those fanboys that will upgrade multiple times a year due to wanting the latest and greatest. (Hell at least apple give us about a 2 year upgrade cycle - ie from the 3G you could skip the 3GS and go to the 4G/HD without missing too much)

reality is, using the iphone as an example here.
How many models of the iphone have been released in total? 3 by my count not including memory differences.
How many Android phones have flooded the market in the past 12 months?

If the android product was THAT good it would not need to release 20 different iterations of the same thing. It would (to coin a phrase) "just work". 1 release a year would be all that would be needed. The issue with this is that each of these manufacturers want to one up the other and so the battle of "what you have a 3.2mp camera? well mine has a 12mp one" "what your phone has an app store? thats nothing mine can create dreams from unicorn tears"
Its basically the old one upsmanship of the old mobile race. As soon as people stop accepting the fact that cheaper is not alway better we may actually start getting some innovation from people other than apple.

/rant off
post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's certainly a sad state of affairs that after all this time, the rest of the industry has now delegated themselves to the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of innovation. They have to do minimal R&D work now since they essentially wait for what Apple comes out with and then get the copy machines fired-up.

Of course, there will be those folks that will say that Apple was not the first to create a tablet. However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!

Right on!
post #19 of 87
If they take Paul Thurrott's advice and make the overall dimensions 16:9 i'll laugh my azz off.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #20 of 87
Google/verizon will release a 'Free' (2yr contract) iPad 3g clone. It will be crap but sell millions!

'Give the razor/camera away and sell the sh*t out of razor blades/film."

It's an old tried and true business model! All Google wants is mobile market share to sell the advertising! They will give all hardware away for this reason alone!

I remember the first 'digital' LED calculators back in the 80's selling for big bucks. the next thing you know they're hanging them on mail boxes as promotions for Real Estate agents. Or anyone remember the Casio LED 'calculator' watches...I was a navigator in the Navy in 1979 and loved that watch ($80 in 1979 dollars, now $1.99 or free).

Tech is going this way (netbooks, laptops, cameras, etc., etc.,) ...Apple is doing an amazing job of keeping itself above the fray and letting everybody else eat their own arms and legs...think Dell, Palm, HP, Sony, Nokia, Symbian, Nintendo and on and on! All they are doing is wearing out the manufacturing machines to chase single digit (or less) profit margins!
post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

The competition has to really work hard and be very innovative and very imaginative to come up with something that will compare with the iPad.

Not really. Similar hardware to what is found in the iPad along with a copy of Android. It might not be innovative or imaginative but it would provide strong competitor to the iPad.
post #22 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If they take Paul Thurrott's advice and make the overall dimensions 16:9 i'll laugh my azz off.

And if they don't make it 16:9 I'll laugh my ass off.
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Not really. Similar hardware to what is found in the iPad along with a copy of Android. It might not be innovative or imaginative but it would provide strong competitor to the iPad.

Exactly...just like Windows OS or RIM BB it just has to be a poor copy and cheap and it will sell! MS, Google, and RIM are ripping off Apple and becoming the 'knock-off' con-artists they most abhor for taking their own IP!

See my post above!
post #24 of 87
<insert product>, another iPad killer
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #25 of 87
Quote:

/sarcasm

That is a false dichotomy.

The iPad is missing several features, including Flash, including video conferencing, including full-featured multi-tasking, including AMOLED screen, including higher-resolution screen, including running ABC shows over 3g.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #26 of 87
Can't wait to hear GOOG's explanation as to why this open source device is locked down to VZ only service. And which company is going to provide email only support?
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #27 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPad is missing several features, including Flash, including video conferencing, including full-featured multi-tasking, including AMOLED screen, including higher-resolution screen, including running ABC shows over 3g.

Wow - all those things?

I had no idea that the iPad was so limited, why hasn't anyone pointed this out before?

EDIT: - what about those million or so people that have bought an iPad, do they know how 'ham-strung' it is?
post #28 of 87
Quote:

But the funny thing is that they'll STILL mess it up. They're already talking about what features they can add.

I guess they never go the message that it's not about how many features you can add, it's about usability - and sometimes more features get in the way. (not to mention adding weight and cost, and reducing battery life).

Quote:

You forgot:
- at least 3 USB ports, no, make it 4
- SD card reader
- CF card reader
- ExpressCard slot
- eSata port
-SCSI port
- Parallel port
- Serial port
- Modem
- ADB port
- Make sure you have at least 4 cameras - one for landscape and one for portrait orientation facing in each direction
- HDMI port
- Optical audio port
- At least 10 hour battery (even if the device has to weigh 20 pounds)
- 16:9 screen, at least 15"
- WIndows 7 Ultimate, preferably the server version

And probably a few I've forgotten. If you add all of that, it will be sure to be a hit - none of the Apple bashers can possibly complain about missing features.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 87
Quote:

490 posts in this forum (as of the time of writing) and you still have no clue, do you?

Amazing. I guess it takes all types.
post #30 of 87
Quote:

/sarcasm

Of course not. But Google will want to up the ante and respond to the whiners.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Quote:

Wow - all those things?

I had no idea that the iPad was so limited, why hasn't anyone pointed this out before?

Don't worry, Ballmer showed us that amazing HP Slate that has *everything* g3pro wants. Since it was unveiled before the iPad I'm sure it will be out any day now and sell bajillions!

Apple is

(wait for it)

doomed! TM
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #32 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It would be good if there would be viable competition for the iPad and other products of Apple. Competition will force Apple to be vigilant and keep on innovating. I may even get some features or much improved Apps sooner. It may even drive the proce down, a bit.

It would be very boring though if the competitors would simply copy the iPad in design and features.

Why not come up with something original also?

For example, the "cancelled" Courier (?) design by Microsoft would be uniquely different from the iPad. Before the current iPad came out actually, someone proposed a similar clamshell design. Although, from a technical point of view, it is likely that the middle would be a weak point, just like those of books, folders, etc.

CGC
post #33 of 87
If anyone thinks Apple's going to release the iPhone on Verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.
post #34 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

if anyone thinks apple's going to release the iphone on verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.

good logic !! Truer words never spoken
post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If anyone thinks Apple's going to release the iPhone on Verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.

I do not know when but eventually it is good strategy for Apple to release an iPhone for Verizon, especially after it has "saturated" the key target GSM (???) carriers worldwide.

For one, Apple cannot cede such a huge market in the US. The main concern should be whether such forking would not also fragment the iTune and more specially the Apps. I do not know the engineering that differentiates the communication systems, but if the iPhone OS can work with the system for Verizon, then creating an iPhone, and even iPad for Verizon should not be an issue.

In fact. I would be very interested to witness a head-to-head competition between RIMM, iPhone OS and Android within Verizon, and other carriers.

Note that Apple is also still in talk with the other carriers in China. It is unlikely that the main telecome in China would change its "communication system" (a modified version of CDMA??? modified specifically for China) just to accommodate the existing iPhone.

If you look at the history of Apple, it is not always the case that Steve Jobs will make a business decision simply because he was slighted. If memory serves me, Steve Jobs also had issues with Intel because he was snobbed or something by Intel when Steve Jobs sought Intel's help. And yet, Steve Jobs eventually embraced Intel when IBM/Motorola overpriced the chips and I think they could not develop fast enough to suit SJs standards.

Similarly, Steve Jobs is not a fan of anything Microsoft, and yet Apple/SJ realized that the OS of Wintel PCs is the predominant OS worldwide -- the outcome, iTunes that work in Wintel PCs. Also, while the work was initiated outside of Apple, Apple allows the Wintel OS to work within a Mac.

I like to think that Apple and Steve Jobs do not let their bias or past hurts to rule their decision making.

CGC
post #36 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly...just like Windows OS or RIM BB it just has to be a poor copy and cheap and it will sell! MS, Google, and RIM are ripping off Apple and becoming the 'knock-off' con-artists they most abhor for taking their own IP!

See my post above!

This reply has nothing to do with your post. Just thought you should know that the "]" after html5 in your signature link to youtube screws up the link.
post #37 of 87
Quote:

If someone would come up with a tablet that can do half as much as a netbook you might be right.
post #38 of 87
[QUOTE=christopher126;1630496]Google/verizon will release a 'Free' (2yr contract) iPad 3g clone. It will be crap but sell millions!

Why not all the big smoking guns (Dell, Palm, HP, Sony, Nokia, Symbian, Nintendo and on and on!) join arms and legs to create this mutant gPoogle pDevice/Endriod OS. If they are any smarter! Sharks! How bad these guys can be when they are not even announcing a game changing iPoogle or pDevice to compete......
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #39 of 87
Quote:

Flash..?

I know number of people - basically most ladies between 20 and 40 I know - who would like to play darn Facebook games on tablet (well away from computer in any case).

I would like Flash for other reasons - it just happened couple of sites I'm frequenting recently are useless without Flash support.

I would also like DivX playback...
post #40 of 87
Verizon and Google have Apple envy, bigtime.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor