or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam - Page 4

post #121 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

Apple doen't handle international cases like in the US. Don't be surprised if he "commits suicide" though.
post #122 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I find it interesting that the seams could provide an electrical break in the case between both sides of the device. Grab the phone, you close the gap.

So.... anyone know why it might be beneficial to have a phone that "knows" when it's being held?

Very good thinking. The seams could be a manufacturing necessity but that's a great observation. Another button, or two.
post #123 of 184
This design is so great - I will definitely be upgrading 4 lines on my account from the 3GS to this.

Can anyone break down exactly what changed in between the Gizmodo version and this one?
post #124 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I haven't seen it crash though so I guess I'm jumping the gun at my judgement.

Got vids of the crashes?

ON THE ANDROID FLASH DEMO AT FLASHCAMP*SEATTLE

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2010/may/0...hcamp-seattle/

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

Found footage: Android tablet prototype running (and crashing) Flash
http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/05/found-f...nd-crashing-f/

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.
post #125 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

But so is the display...

No doubt! But the original poster seemed to be implying a switch to A4 by itself would grant iPad like battery life. It may--I hope it does!--but I don't think it is a slam dunk...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #126 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

For the love of God someone get that guy some nail clippers!

Perhaps they also study flamenco guitar?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #127 of 184
It sure looks amazing, but I'm disappointed that they apparently put the A4 in there. It's based on the Cortex A8-design, which is last year's technology. Get with the times, Apple, and put multi-core A9s in there.
post #128 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

The only "California police" I know of is the California Highway Patrol.

Last time I checked, they did not get much involved in breaking down doors to recover good stolen from a bar. Unless, of course, the bar was sitting in the middle of a highway.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #129 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Any reason why the video did not show the phone running at all? And what were those vertical tic marks at the bottom of the screen--some sort of progress indicator?

Probably because it is not real ..just a fake phone IMHO

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #130 of 184
I am sorry the lines in this are just to lame. The fit and finish is not anything like a MBP or the current iPhone. Look at the terrible seem. I count 3 of these. This is at best a concept. The final product better look better.

Again I think this is just working concept. EVERY APPLE product looks sharp with clean lines. The lines here suck. Give SJ a call and ask him what he thinks.
post #131 of 184
Does this mean the specs will include a 1Ghz processor?

How does that compare to the 3G and S?
post #132 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Perhaps they also study flamingo guitar?

Why ... is it pink? Or, do you mean flamenco?
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #133 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

ON THE ANDROID FLASH DEMO AT FLASHCAMP*SEATTLE

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2010/may/0...hcamp-seattle/

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

Found footage: Android tablet prototype running (and crashing) Flash
http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/05/found-f...nd-crashing-f/

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.

Ok wait, go back and look at your first link. The video at the bottom is the one I saw, and the update says it's based on a newer version of Flash mobile than what you saw crash.

so in other words, it's coming along.

Look, I guess we can only wait and see how this thing turns out. If 2.2 comes out and swarms of users are reporting crashes, then we can judge it to be garbage.

Basically, judging software in beta phases is like judging a sculpture in the middle of the artist's progress. It's not done! lol

Edit:

THE TABLET DIDN'T CRASH!!!

Look what the reviewer had to say:
*Update: Just wanted to clarify, flash didn’t crash here, I just accidentally hit the “home” button while I was really trying to hit the “back” button. Android users know that you get an error message if an app crashes, I know because I have a Nexus One. There’s hidden home,back, and power buttons (on the side of the prototype) u do not see in the videos/photos, sorry if that confused any readers.


So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is FILLED with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. Facepalm indeed

HILARIOUS.
post #134 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

The 2x feature in the iPad os
I don't think that they developed this feature for iPad only, but that they had a change in the screen res of the iPhone in mind, so that they would be able to smoothly change the res, without making the existing iPhone/iPod Touch apps look weird.

This would be a non-issue if Apple had intelligent screen resizing. They are just doing straight pixel doubling right now. That is fine for games, but text-heavy applications look terrible. A perfect example is Flixster. You could conceivably just alter the XML properties of the app to support iPad and it would show full screen with the correct text formatting. Apple chose the easy way out.

On the topic of thievery in Gizmodo case:

The real issue is going to be harm. Not only is Apple losing 3GS sales because people are now waiting for this new phone (as many of you state), their competitors now also have an advantage to catch up and deliver an equivalent or better phone. Honestly I woudn't be surprised if this ended up being a multi-million dollar civil case. Gizmodo may consider themselves to be journalists, but they purchased stolen property and revealed damaging trade secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if they get sued into oblivion.

And yea, it sounds like moving the phone out of the country may be a way out (or just intercepting it from where it is being manufactured). I'm not sure if Interpol or any other organization has enough jurisdiction, or if any international law will take precedent here.
post #135 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

ON THE ANDROID FLASH DEMO AT FLASHCAMP*SEATTLE

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2010/may/0...hcamp-seattle/

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

Found footage: Android tablet prototype running (and crashing) Flash
http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/05/found-f...nd-crashing-f/

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.

Apparently the crashes were because it's in beta.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19612...r_android.html

They have gotten Flash and up running on Android:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...exus-one-vide/
post #136 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

No doubt! But the original poster seemed to be implying a switch to A4 by itself would grant iPad like battery life. It may--I hope it does!--but I don't think it is a slam dunk...

If I remember correctly, someone asked about audio battery life on the iPad and Jobs said something like it could go for days with the screen off as the A4 chip hardly uses any power at all. The battery on the new iPhone will also have a higher capacity than the current 3GS if the Gizmodo teardown is any indication.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #137 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.

I agree 100%. I'd hope that if AI got ahold of a prototype iPhone (or iPad or iAnything), that they'd publish it outright without asking Apple if it was OK first. But after using the words Gizmodo was "exploiting" the prototype bit, I just don't know. Definitely effected my opinion of the site's point of view, and the stock price in the upper right corner I now see in another context.

That said, AI does great in-depth Apple stories that are beyond what anyone else does (or possibly can do), so AI definitely holds some value to me.

On the A4 chip:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was under-clocked for the iPhone 4G. Still super fast, but the phone literally has half the batteries, so I doubt you could run that thing at full power and expect the results you'd get on the iPad. Plus there's the further argument that the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, which this would validate. I still want both, but will probably wait until the iPad second gen, hoping for an iChat camera.
post #138 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why not? You are saying that asking is ruder? Because it was a request, not a demand.

I don't post English onto non-English sites, because I do think it is rude to do that.

I saw someone post something in Italian, and I decided to respond to them in Italian. I figured their comment would probably not get any other responses (other than maybe the odd angry response in English), and so out of courtesy, I responded to them in the language they used because I can.

Our exchange ended, it wasn't very deep. They said that they didn't like the design and they hoped that these leaked photos didn't represent the final design for the next iPhone, and I responded saying that these almost certainly represent the final design, considering images of both prototypes have been released so close to the date of the WWDC.

Just my opinion, but I think English speakers who don't post on Non-English sites are probably not posting because they don't understand what they're reading (and probably don't visit non-English sites to begin with). Also, again just my opinion, but the fact that I responded to them in their language of choice and that I just took the time to translate our exchange, was kind, not rude.

Sorry for continuing this non-sequitur, I hope it's done now. I'm really looking forward to the new iPhone (or as we call it in Québec "le nouveau téléphone cellulaire de la compagnie de la pomme"), I haven't owned one yet and this one looks absolutely great, although what I would like most is a price-drop.
post #139 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

They have gotten Flash and up running on Android:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...exus-one-vide/

Cool- maybe SJ will get with the program and give us more free movies and games now- at least give us a choice to drain our non-removable battery faster if we so desire.
post #140 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

ON THE ANDROID FLASH DEMO AT FLASHCAMP*SEATTLE

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2010/may/0...hcamp-seattle/

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

Found footage: Android tablet prototype running (and crashing) Flash
http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/05/found-f...nd-crashing-f/

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIl1k7wX7Fk

As you can see, EcoZoo is one of the first things he runs and it turns out just fine.

Flashmobileblog did two tests for battery time and found that for playing a 17 minute video, the battery only drained 6%. They claim this equals roughly 4 hours of playing straight videos and 5 hours of Flash games.

http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2010/...-on-nexus-one/

Take it for what it's worth at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is failed with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. All along the dude just hit the home button.

HILARIOUS.

People are quick to judge at face value when it's a result that they want to see.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #141 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzerain View Post

Ha, but to play devil's advocate, the current iPhone looks like a cheap piece of plastic with fake chrome around the edge, which personally reminds me of the dashboard inside that 1970's econobox car.

It's all down to personal preference, but I am stoked about the new design. I think it fits in much better with the cold, minimalistic metallic approach they've taken with the MacBooks and iPads.


As usual, I think different. I like the smooth curved plastic back of the 3GS, but I agree that the plated chrome bezel is tacky.

I question the flat back of the new iPhone, and IMO, it is not as techno-lustworthy as the current design. It looks VERY thin tho.
post #142 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

..... the difference is that they were not in possession of or fencing stolen (by statute) goods.

You know that how?
post #143 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

Our exchange ended, it wasn't very deep. They said that they didn't like the design and they hoped that these leaked photos didn't represent the final design for the next iPhone, and I responded saying that these almost certainly represent the final design, considering images of both prototypes have been released so close to the date of the WWDC.


Anyone can copy and paste into Google language tools which is what the original poster could have done. I tried it it and it came out acceptable. If you do decide to respond in a foreign language maybe you should provide the translation of the original post and the response as a courtesy to the other English speakers on the forum.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #144 of 184
Lost = stolen? Since when?
post #145 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

I saw someone post something in Italian, and I decided to respond to them in Italian. I figured their comment would probably not get any other responses (other than maybe the odd angry response in English), and so out of courtesy, I responded to them in the language they used because I can.

I hope you don't mean my response, there wasn't meant to be anything angry in it, just a request not to start off into a discussion in italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

Just my opinion, but I think English speakers who don't post on Non-English sites are probably not posting because they don't understand what they're reading (and probably don't visit non-English sites to begin with). Also, again just my opinion, but the fact that I responded to them in their language of choice and that I just took the time to translate our exchange, was kind, not rude.

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't consider your response rude, and appreciate that you took the time to translate. (Though I had figured it out by myself, I'm happy to see I was right with the translation )

In general I think that people don't post on sites when they don't understand the language, why would they? But if you understand something, and want to add your opinion, why change the language? Either try to do it in the language used on that site, or find a site in a language you can use, or am I completely of the track?
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #146 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So, is the new iPhone going to be offered in 16/32/64GB variants or will it be 16/32GB with an 8GB 3G(S) at the bottom of the pile?

I have a feeling Apple will offer the new iPhone in 16/32 flavors with a 16GB 3GS as the $99 entry iPhone. The added features of the new iPhone would be enough for Apple to justify the higher price tag without having to double the GB footprint.

So my prediction is:

$99 16GB 3GS
$199 16GB 2010 iPhone
$299 32GB 2010 iPhone
post #147 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

I wonder if Adobe is secretly still working on Flash for jail broken iPhones. That would certainly gauge the public desire for Flash if they had to jail break. Personally as much as I like programming and designing in Flash I can totally live without it on my iPhone. In fact without Flash blockers it would be a nightmare.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #148 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Lost = stolen? Since when?

When you don't make a reasonable attempt to determine the owner and return it.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #149 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why not? You are saying that asking is ruder? Because it was a request, not a demand.

I don't post English onto non-English sites, because I do think it is rude to do that.

I didn't mean to start anything, or in fact be rude myself, but yeah, it's ruder to say (or imply) "this is an English only site" or words to that affect than it is to inadvertently or innocently post something in your own language.

So what if someone says something in Italian or Chinese or Hindi?

I don't see any giant signs saying "English only." If they were carrying on a long conversation or something that would be rude, but a simple post or even a post and reply is no big deal IMO.

This site is based in the USA which is rather infamous lately for language intolerance in some areas and it could easily come across as rude to tell people that "we only speak English here" or words to that effect. I get now that the original poster probably didn't mean anything like that and we are all decent folks etc., but yeah, it seemed like an unnecessary (and therefore rude) comment to me.

My apologies for being rude by saying that something seemed rude? I guess?
post #150 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

When you don't make a reasonable attempt to determine the owner and return it.

Say what? I'm walking down the street and find $100. I have to try to find out who the owner of it was- otherwise I've stolen it? Yeah-right.
What Utopian society do you live in?
The idiot who lost it should never have lost it in the first place- and yes he should have been fired.
post #151 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

This response was predicted. Kudos to the guy who predicted it!

This leak is the fault of Gizmodo.

Funny.

But you are twisting what I said of course. Also, consider that predicting something that's true or obvious or even a logical suggested possibility (that last thing is what I actually said), is a rather easy thing to do.

For instance I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.
post #152 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Say what? I'm walking down the street and find $100. I have to try to find out who the owner of it was- otherwise I've stolen it? Yeah-right.
What Utopian society do you live in?
The idiot who lost it should never have lost it in the first place- and yes - he should have been fired.

he is right. The lost property statutes state that if you find some thing, then if you choose to take possession of it you take on the responsibility to return it to the owner. If you do not, then it is considered theft. Taking it does not immediately amount to theft. What you do or do not do with it afterwards determines that. There are allowances that, if you follow the requirements, which include turning it into the police if/when you are unable to determine the owner or return it, then after a period of time, ownership will become yours legally. I think it is 90 days after the police post a public notice in California. Responsibilities and timeframes might be different elsewhere.

Found money might be a different matter. It could be considered unreasonable that you would be able to identify the rightful owner.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #153 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


For instance I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.

Yes, but you are just being an optimist.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #154 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

More pics here:

http://www.tinhte.com/threads/406545...83#post4388583

Thanks for the pics. Better quality and show the iPhone to be slimmer....My 3Gs all of a sudden looks 'round and pudgy!'

I want one!
post #155 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Found money might be a different matter. It could be considered unreasonable that you would be able to identify the rightful owner.

Like when I lost my money clip with a few hundred dollars in a bar. I came back the next day to inquire about it. They returned the money clip but not surprisingly minus the cash.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #156 of 184
Funny how there are still a few people that think these are fakes, rather than prototypes or such. Can you imagine what it would take to fake this? If they are fakes, then Apple needs to get on a plane and hire these people immediately.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #157 of 184
I hope this boxy thing is a new trend for Apple's mobile devices. A big problem with the iPad IMO is the curvy back. Makes it impossible to put on the table and type. But they've got to get some rubber pads on the bottom.
post #158 of 184
anyone else notice they were playing the beegees: 'How deep is your love' in the background? Maybe that'll turn into how deep are your pockets?
post #159 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Ok wait, go back and look at your first link. The video at the bottom is the one I saw, and the update says it's based on a newer version of Flash mobile than what you saw crash.

so in other words, it's coming along.

Look, I guess we can only wait and see how this thing turns out. If 2.2 comes out and swarms of users are reporting crashes, then we can judge it to be garbage.

Basically, judging software in beta phases is like judging a sculpture in the middle of the artist's progress. It's not done! lol

Edit:

THE TABLET DIDN'T CRASH!!!

Look what the reviewer had to say:
*Update: Just wanted to clarify, flash didn’t crash here, I just accidentally hit the “home” button while I was really trying to hit the “back” button. Android users know that you get an error message if an app crashes, I know because I have a Nexus One. There’s hidden home,back, and power buttons (on the side of the prototype) u do not see in the videos/photos, sorry if that confused any readers.


So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is FILLED with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. Facepalm indeed

HILARIOUS.

As to your very first paragraph, I don't have to prove anything. Everyone already knows that as good as Flash is with animations, it's also good at crashing the browser.

BTW he didn't hit the home button. Watch carefully again. His thumbs are not even touching the device. Also you don't say 'Whoops" just for kicks when hitting the home button.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIl1k7wX7Fk

As you can see, EcoZoo is one of the first things he runs and it turns out just fine.

It did run pretty well this time but again we really have no idea how this will perform. What you are citing is coming from Adobe. From controlled tests they it seems to run fine but every time they're is a live event, where there is no control, it crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Flashmobileblog did two tests for battery time and found that for playing a 17 minute video, the battery only drained 6%. They claim this equals roughly 4 hours of playing straight videos and 5 hours of Flash games.

http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2010/...-on-nexus-one/

Take it for what it's worth at the moment...



People are quick to judge at face value when it's a result that they want to see.

I'm not going to believe whatever the Flash Mobile Blog says about battery life. It would be like basing my purchase of a Mac based off of solely reading reviews from Mac websites. The main video I saw off Vimeo had the battery life dwindling as 10 minutes went buy. This isn't a unique experience since I had the same experience on my MBP. Also, from a 2009 MBP of Anandtech (amended):

Eight, freakin, hours. I couldn't believe it. In my lightest test, the new 15-inch MacBook Pro lasted eight hours and eight minutes.

I threw together another test just to make sure. The key flaw in my initial wireless web browsing test is that it none of web pages have any Flash on them.

I strung together 8 reviews on AnandTech and put them each on a single page, images and all. I then scoured the web for big, animated Flash ads and added anywhere from 1 - 4 ads per page; all Flash. Each page is designed to forward to the next after 10 seconds and the loop continues indefinitely. On each machine I opened three Safari windows and pointed them at the first page in the sequence. In the background, once more, I had iTunes playing MP3s.

Six and a half hours, out of a 5.5 lbs notebook. For comparison, the older MacBook Pro could only manage 3 hours and 17 minutes in the same test.

-------
In this review, based on just loading Flash ads, it sucked up 2 hrs. of battery life.

This is the same issue for the Joojoo that Engadget reviewed. It decreased battery life by 40% in Joojoo's estimates just watching video with Flash. Adobe said that they were not working with Joojoo which means you have to be working closely with them just to get Flash working properly.

Here is the problem:

-Flash will only work on smartphones with an 800 MHz or higher which basically means any phone from the Nexus One until today

-Since Flash is just a container for h.264 (at it's most efficient) it will no doubt take up more battery life than just playing the h.264 file

-Flash has now got to support 3 desktop platforms and 5 mobile OSs. There will be a platform that suffers because of preferential treatment. This is what essentially happened to the Mac and Linux against Windows. How successful will they be by adding another 5 OSs?

Maybe Flash may work on Android will work but I haven't seen it happen yet outside of a controlled environment.
post #160 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I didn't mean to start anything, or in fact be rude myself, but yeah, it's ruder to say (or imply) "this is an English only site" or words to that affect than it is to inadvertently or innocently post something in your own language.

So what if someone says something in Italian or Chinese or Hindi?

I don't see any giant signs saying "English only." If they were carrying on a long conversation or something that would be rude, but a simple post or even a post and reply is no big deal IMO.

This site is based in the USA which is rather infamous lately for language intolerance in some areas and it could easily come across as rude to tell people that "we only speak English here" or words to that effect. I get now that the original poster probably didn't mean anything like that and we are all decent folks etc., but yeah, it seemed like an unnecessary (and therefore rude) comment to me.

My apologies for being rude by saying that something seemed rude? I guess?

I can see and understand your point. It just disturbed me that the person wrote a post in italian as if it was most natural to do so, and that everybody would/could/should understand.

Anyway, I changed the post and hope nobody feels offended anymore.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam