or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New international Apple iPad preorders now ship by June 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New international Apple iPad preorders now ship by June 7

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Apple this week updated its online stores across the globe to reflect a new estimated shipping date of June 7 for those who did not initially preorder an iPad overseas.

The update suggests that Apple has completely sold out of its initial launch run of iPads in both the Wi-Fi and 3G model. Both are scheduled to launch on May 28, and those who were among the first to secure preorders should see the device on launch date.

The change came quickly, as Apple only began accepting preorders from the nine international launch countries this week. Updates to Apple's online stores in the U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Spain and Italy on Tuesday now all reflect a new ship date of June 7 for the latest preorders. That's all nine countries where the iPad will launch on May 28.

The international launch of the iPad was originally scheduled for late April, but Apple delayed it by a month due to stronger than expected demand of the device in the U.S.

Late preorders in the U.S. also had a short wait, as those who ordered toward the end of March didn't receive the hardware until April 12. The iPad formally launched in the U.S. on April 3, and Apple sold more than 300,000 on the first day.



Nearly a month later, Apple launched the iPad 3G in the U.S., and the first day of availability was enough to push total hardware sales over a million. Since the launch of the iPad 3G just a few weeks ago, Apple's retail stores have struggled to keep the item in stock, with many remaining sold out.

In the face of short supply, Apple has staggered the international launch of the iPad, beginning with the nine countries on May 28. Nine more countries -- Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore -- will enter the fray in July. Apple has said that dates for nine additional countries will be announced at a later date.
post #2 of 35
HELLO - I think you dingalings forgot Australia?

OR - maybe not

when can we buy one, PLEASE?
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #3 of 35
Mmm... the US Store is now 7-10 business days on all models... up from 5-7 bds.


I guess the coming VerGooglePad is eating up all the critical parts and mfg facilities.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

HELLO - I think you dingalings forgot Australia?

OR - maybe not

when can we buy one, PLEASE?

Who can forget Australia?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #5 of 35
10 million iPads sold in calendar year 2010 is looking about right.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Who can forget Australia?

.

What's an Australia?

(Just kidding, just kidding...... )
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an Australia?

(Just kidding, just kidding...... )

It's a typo. He means Austria, which is a small country in Europe
post #8 of 35
Maybe by the time it shows up at my door they'll have the WiFi issues fixed...
post #9 of 35
I am glad I got my order for a 32GB WiFi model in yesterday afternoon, so I have a confirmation of May 28th delivery in Canada. Also glad I work from home on Friday's so I can work and get my iPad too.

I suspect we will see a 2 million sold announcement soon - and hear that Apple's suppliers are building new factories. They must be working 24*7 on new iPhones, iPad's and those new MacBook Airs that are rumoured to land soon.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Who can forget Australia?

.

Save me some strudel.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

10 million iPads sold in calendar year 2010 is looking about right.

10 million doesn't seem realistic, no matter how you slice it. But 4-5 million sold in 2010, yes.
And that would be a bloody fantastic result for a new category product like the iPad!
post #12 of 35
The USA is still having supply issues. [The Boylston Apple Store in Boston was also sold out.] Now, just a few days after, the estimated orders abroad (for the countries) also exceeded Apple's estimate.

If I have to guess, apart from factory ramping, the large screen may be the other bottleneck. They already sought a second supplier..

Three million for the quarter may even be conservative now - 3-6M maybe? It is behaving more towards the iPod sales than those of the iPhone or Mac computer sales.

CGC
post #13 of 35
Popular item. I wonder why people like this so much when tablet laptops have been overall rejected. I think it's because people like to be loved/understood by something beautiful, and it is beautiful and it has an intuitive GUI that makes you feel understood. Oh, and also the App Store isn't bad
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... the US Store is now 7-10 business days on all models... up from 5-7 bds.


I guess the coming VerGooglePad is eating up all the critical parts and mfg facilities.

.

I hope the VGP is as successful as the Nexus One.
post #15 of 35
I want an iPad, but the combined price of an iPad and likely an unsubsidized iPhone may be too much. I guess this gives me more time to think about it.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

10 million iPads sold in calendar year 2010 is looking about right.

That was my high prediction too but even that may\\ be conservative. Consider the back to school and then the Christmas holiday surge.

Last night at past 800pm, there was a group of older guys (still in business suit) examining the iPad, together. Then one of them stated. "It's settled then." I left the store at around 845pm. They were talking downstairs, near the entrance to the guy I was referred to who dealt as the business liaison for the Boylston branch. Companies must be picking interest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

I hope the VGP is as successful as the Nexus One.

Competition is good. I hope they do a good job much better than the attempt with Nexus One -- shunned by Verizon and it seems even Sprint is having a second thought or at least reconsidering. These companies have a competition though with HP-Palm and others.

I hope one or two of them could develop strong alternatives to the iPad. This will keep Apple on its toes to accelerate their innovation, and perhaps even lower the price. Everyone benefits -- even those who would buy the alternatives to the iPad.

The beauty here is that everyone else are still on planning or early stages leaving the territory to Apple for many months.

In the long run, prejudices aside, it will the Apps and ease of purchase that will be critical deciding factors for the buyers. Again, this is where Apple has a headstart and a growing ecosystem, together with the iPhone and iPad Touch.

CGC
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

The USA is still having supply issues. [The Boylston Apple Store in Bostom was also sold out.] Now, just a few days after, the estimated orders abroad (for the countries) also exceeded Apple's estimate.

If I have to guess, apart from factory ramping, the large screen may be the other bottleneck. They already sought a second supplier..

Three million for the quarter may even be conservative now - 3-6M maybe? It is behaving more towards the iPod sales than those of the iPhone or Mac computer sales.

CGC

Apple is Doomed.


It looks like demand is immense. Apple's shipments (at least for the next few months) are going to be limited by how many they can produce, not the number of available customers. Fortunately, Apple's pretty good at ramping up production.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #18 of 35
Damn my indecision!

is 64 gb overkill! I must decide before shipping gets pushed back until Christmas
post #19 of 35
Pre-ordering became available in the UK sometime close to midnight on 10th May, 2010. We ordered ours at 2 am :-)

Hoping we get one by the original launch date.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple is Doomed.


It looks like demand is immense. Apple's shipments (at least for the next few months) are going to be limited by how many they can produce, not the number of available customers. Fortunately, Apple's pretty good at ramping up production.

Indeed, and the potential worldwide would more than likely dwarf the potential in the US market. Unlike the total cost of owning the iPhone, the iPad Wifi would be more affordable, and the iPad 3G may look attractive with its unlocked feature.

The use of VOIP and other internet telephony is also more widespread in other parts of the world. The iPad Wifi may be another way to expand the use of VOIP and other internet telephony.

In China for example, China Unicom is doing well, and is trying harder to improve its phone business, and attract a greater percentage of the more well-off Chinese by enticing them with better subsidies of the iPhone:

China Unicom ups iPhone subsidies to boost sales


China Unicom would be a reliable partner of Apple in its bid to increase its presence in China not only for the iPhone but more than likely the iPad. Just like the iPhone before it reached China, there is a brisk market also for imported iPads.

China Mobile, the largest phone company in China may have learned its lesson in its prior attempt to impose too many restriction to Apple before it will consider the iPhone. [This is not too different from Verizon's deal with Apple for the iPhone when iPhone was still just a concept product.]

China Mobile has renewed talks with Apple to bring a revised CDMA iPhone in China because it finally realized it is losing the elite Chinese following the success of the smaller China Unicom in attracting customers. Now China Mobile is not only interested to have the iPhone but also interested in the iPad:

China Mobile interested in bringing Apple iPad to China


If a deal is made with China Mobile, this development is significant in a number of ways:
  1. The vast potential market that China Mobile provides Apple products.
  2. The manufacture of another type of iPhone, in this case, a revised CDMA
  3. This may also mean that Apple is not aversed to manufacture iPhone that will cater to the specific needs of companies like Verizon. In fact, while the total base of China Mobile, more than likely there would be more likely that will be more Verizon customers who could switch to the iPhone, based on recent surveys.

My only hope is that such fragmentation of the types of iPhone, iPad will not have any impact on the iPhone OS and more important that it will not lead into fragmentation of the Apps component of the ecosystem. I do not know the technical aspect but my feeling is that there would be some needed changes, just like how an iTunes was created specifically to be more compatible with Wintel PCs.

CGC
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week updated its online stores across the globe to reflect a new estimated shipping date of June 7 for those who did not initially preorder an iPad overseas.

I am so, so glad I pre-ordered on Monday, my order is still scheduled for the 28th

Quote:
Late preorders in the U.S. also had a short wait, as those who ordered toward the end of March didn't receive the hardware until April 12. The iPad formally launched in the U.S. on April 3, and Apple sold more than 300,000 on the first day.

And that was a few weeks after they started accepting pre-orders, right? Seems like Apple severely underestimated European demand, to have to push back the ship date after a mere two days (I mean, who would pre-order two weeks in advance, knowing that they're going to get it a week or so AFTER launch?). My guess is that the Germans love it, as they have immense buying power and not quite as much national debt as some of us. I'd cautiously suggest there may be 2-3 million iPads sold outside the US within a month of the 28th May launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

That [10 million in 2010] was my high prediction too but even that may be conservative. Consider the back to school and then the Christmas holiday surge.

I'd expect a fair surge in August-September for the BTS season, but I don't know, buyers might be inclined to get something more "serious" and traditional and so tend to go more for netbooks. Xmas (November-December) is I think going to be a very strong time for sales, since it's an obvious desirable product and the kind of thing that family members can buy for others but use themselves I expect that the various respective launches will be very comparable to the xmas rush, since it's likely to still be constrained by supply at that time. Good for Apple: it seems that the iPad metaphorically prints money.

Quote:
I hope one or two of them could develop strong alternatives to the iPad. This will keep Apple on its toes to accelerate their innovation, and perhaps even lower the price. Everyone benefits -- even those who would buy the alternatives to the iPad.

I totally agree. Competition gets similar products into more hands and stimulates the market in the right places to move existing product lines closer to buyers' ideals. With the iPhone, I know it took a while to get convincing competition, but with current Android phones being really good at what they do, smartphones are far ahead (in price and features) of what you could have expected a few years ago.
post #22 of 35
The iPad really is a new adventure in corporate purchasing here... After having placed a pre-order with our Apple rep within a week after the keynote, they still can't even estimate a date when corporate orders can be handled at all...

Since Monday I was trying to get staff members to order a total of 100 pieces privately and sell them to us. What an exercise... More than half of the staff refused to do it, as they wanted to order at least one for themselves and were afraid of exceeding their "lifetime allowance". After three days of dealing with nothing else than iPad orders, I now have my 100 iPads ordered. This now involves employees, almost everybody in my family, my girlfriends family, three neighbors of mine, my landlord and even the owner of the restaurant where I have lunch every day... truly a communication device :-)
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The iPad really is a new adventure in corporate purchasing here... After having placed a pre-order with our Apple rep within a week after the keynote, they still can't even estimate a date when corporate orders can be handled at all...

Since Monday I was trying to get staff members to order a total of 100 pieces privately and sell them to us. What an exercise... More than half of the staff refused to do it, as they wanted to order at least one for themselves and were afraid of exceeding their "lifetime allowance". After three days of dealing with nothing else than iPad orders, I now have my 100 iPads ordered. This now involves employees, almost everybody in my family, my girlfriends family, three neighbors of mine, my landlord and even the owner of the restaurant where I have lunch every day... truly a communication device :-)

HAHA! This is an awesome story! Apple needs to make an ad out of it!
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrumble View Post

... I am so, so glad I pre-ordered on Monday, my order is still scheduled for the 28th ....

Me too, and mine is still showing the 28th.

I also got word my MBP has shipped. Happy days ahead
post #25 of 35
We will be waiting in Ireland for a while I'm afraid. Thing is, I was in Miami and bought an iPad last month but I can't get any apps as the iPad irish app store is not opening until July!! Can't access the US app store, Apple develops an international portable device that travels, however if you live in a small island called Ireland on the west coast of europe, you are left with a device that is useless.
post #26 of 35
...but beware the volcano!

I've seen the satellite ash-drift patterns from that whatchamacallit volcano in Iceland, and it seems simply evil in its attempt to block all flight paths across the Atlantic, or over the icecaps. Maybe they need to fly in iPad shipments into Turkey and truck it the rest of the way.

Just sayin'.


All those guys ordering at 2a.m. on the day of availability had me chuckling -- but 2 days later and supply is gone means those guys had an idea they needed to move fast. I was curious how the iPad would play internationally (I typically live in one tech-gulch or another in the US, so I expect the world is different 10 miles outside my zone...)

_________________
Anyway, can't those Icelanders get that thing under control? Where's the volcano management? Hawaii has had an eruption going since 1967 (or whatever) and you never hear about these issues there.
post #27 of 35
Apple needs to get there shit together, for goodness sake they've already added a month to their original ship date for the rest of the planet, now they are only releasing in 9 other countries and managing to cock that up.

When will Apple management wake up, realise millions of people want this and so make deals with manufacturers and get things pumping!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymcgoo View Post

We will be waiting in Ireland for a while I'm afraid. Thing is, I was in Miami and bought an iPad last month but I can't get any apps as the iPad irish app store is not opening until July!! Can't access the US app store, Apple develops an international portable device that travels, however if you live in a small island called Ireland on the west coast of europe, you are left with a device that is useless.

Maybe you should have purchased a US iTunes gift card while you were there? Or maybe in two weeks you can get a UK iTunes giftcare when the iPad is release there?
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Damn my indecision!

is 64 gb overkill! I must decide before shipping gets pushed back until Christmas

How do you expect anyone to tell you how much storage you need? Look at the size for the items you plan to store on the iPad.

I have 30 GB of music, 20 GB of movies, 5 or 6 GB of apps, a few books and the OS, so my 64 GB system is looking pretty full (although it would be easy for me to load only part of my music collection or just a few of the movies at a time). YMMV.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 35
I am truly sorry for what follows:

Clearly Apple only made a couple thousand units available worldwide to insure they would sell out quickly. It is the oldest trick in the book. Notice how there are no actual figures to assess. It is much more valuable to Apple to have the headline than to have the sale. Also, this makes the iPad look like it is in demand when the true worldwide interest is very low. When the real numbers come out, we will see that Apple has been masterfully manipulating the media.

Additionally, I have seen articles that speculate that the iPad interest in the UK is really quite low. There are also no numbers showing the, no doubt, massive number of returns in the US. ebay is full of unwanted iPads. That shows that quite a few people who bought them, use them for a few days and just cant wait to get rid of them.

So, between Apple iPadding the Numbers, and a hand full of iTards, this thing is clearly not long for this world.

Apple is doomed!

Again, I apologize. It is just that others who are more skilled at this sort of thing have all but dropped the ball in this thread. (I think I'm going to be sick...)
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #31 of 35
Perhaps, this is the only time I'm really angry with Apple. Yes, maybe it was my indecision on storage capacity or maybe I need the money for something else first but seriously, how many children do you need to increase the productions? Eh? 10 days + 2 weeks + a month? Sheeeeeet!
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I am truly sorry for what follows:

Clearly Apple only made a couple thousand units available worldwide to insure they would sell out quickly. It is the oldest trick in the book. Notice how there are no actual figures to assess. It is much more valuable to Apple to have the headline than to have the sale. Also, this makes the iPad look like it is in demand when the true worldwide interest is very low. When the real numbers come out, we will see that Apple has been masterfully manipulating the media.

Additionally, I have seen articles that speculate that the iPad interest in the UK is really quite low. There are also no numbers showing the, no doubt, massive number of returns in the US. ebay is full of unwanted iPads. That shows that quite a few people who bought them, use them for a few days and just cant wait to get rid of them.

So, between Apple iPadding the Numbers, and a hand full of iTards, this thing is clearly not long for this world.

Apple is doomed!

Again, I apologize. It is just that others who are more skilled at this sort of thing have all but dropped the ball in this thread. (I think I'm going to be sick...)

What a load of twaddle!
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Perhaps, this is the only time I'm really angry with Apple. Yes, maybe it was my indecision on storage capacity or maybe I need the money for something else first but seriously, how many children do you need to increase the productions? Eh? 10 days + 2 weeks + a month? Sheeeeeet!

And the parts and the actual production line time, sheesh!
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

What a load of twaddle!

You do recognize that the entire post was sarcasm, yes? You must be new around here. Welcome to the family.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Perhaps, this is the only time I'm really angry with Apple. Yes, maybe it was my indecision on storage capacity or maybe I need the money for something else first but seriously, how many children do you need to increase the productions? Eh? 10 days + 2 weeks + a month? Sheeeeeet!

Well, if all the factories are running full out (as they likely are):

1) How long it takes build a new factory or

2) How long it takes to convert another production line to iPads (likely reducing production of something else)

or

3) They have to wait until their suppliers can upgrade/increase their production capacity.
Maybe the Apple production is held back by lack of flash memory or large touch screens?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New international Apple iPad preorders now ship by June 7