or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC countersues Apple, claims infringement of five patents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC countersues Apple, claims infringement of five patents

post #1 of 105
Thread Starter 
Taiwanese smartphone company HTC has responded to Apple's patent suit with a lawsuit of its own, accusing the iPhone maker of violating five patents.

HTC announced the countersuit Wednesday. It was filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission, and asks for the importation of the iPhone, iPad and iPod into America to be halted.

"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible," said Jason Mackenzie, vice president of North America, HTC Corporation. "We are taking this action against Apple to protect our intellectual property, our industry partners, and most importantly our customers that use HTC phones."

The company noted in a press release that the company has built a portfolio of "the world's most advanced smartphones" over the last decade. Currently, there are 12 HTC phones available for customers in the U.S., including the HTC EVO 4G for Sprint, the Droid Incredible for Verizon, and the HTC HD2 for T-Mobile. It did not mention the specific patents involved in the suit.

Apple first sued HTC in early March, accusing the Taiwanese company of infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. In a statement, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said though competition is "healthy," competitors should not "steal" Apple's technology.

Though the suit was directed at HTC, the complaint specifically targeted a number of phones that run Google's Android mobile operating system, leading many to believe the real purpose of the complaint was to serve as a warning shot toward Google. The search giant came out in support of HTC, noting that it will "stand behind" partners who help to develop the Android operating system.

Last month, Microsoft and HTC revealed the two companies had struck a deal to license Microsoft's technology for use in HTC phones. The agreement, in which HTC will pay royalties to Microsoft, came about because officials with the Redmond, Wash., software giant believed Google's Android mobile operating system infringes on patented technology owned by Microsoft. Previously, a Microsoft official had publicly stated that Apple's suit against HTC was not necessarily bad, as it could help to sort out intellectual property issues in the mobile space.

In early April, the ITC announced it will investigate Apple's complaint against HTC, while the company has indicated it has no plans to back down.

The ITC has been very busy with Apple lawsuits lately. Last year, Finnish handset maker Nokia sued Apple, and the iPhone maker later countersued, with both companies accusing the other of patent violations. The ITC has also begun investigating claims made by Kodak against Apple, as well as a suit from Elan Microelectronics.
post #2 of 105
20 versus 5, I wonder who's gonna end up on top!
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #3 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

20 versus 5, I wonder who's gonna end up on top!

umm... it has nothing to do with the number of patents and everything to do with how important the patents are and how strong a case the plaintiff has. we don't know the answer yet on either count.
post #4 of 105
competition and innovation?

more like...apple's ideas that we're trying to catch up with

cannot wait to see the android tablet
post #5 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002

Windows Mobile Pocket PC... 2002... Couldn't have been THAT MUCH innovation!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #6 of 105
Live by the lawsuit, die by the lawsuit.
post #7 of 105
No surprise here.
post #8 of 105


Wonder what Newton Patents could HTC have violated?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #9 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post



Wonder what Newton Patents could HTC have violated?


Apple Newton MessagePad 1993...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #10 of 105
Oh my, what a shock!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #11 of 105
Wonder where HTC stole those patents from
post #12 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No surprise here.

Apart from the two month gap since Apple sued them.
post #13 of 105
Hey Apple, just let me get my evo before you shut HTC down
post #14 of 105
And now the whole system is tied up...

I foresee a settlement coming out of all of this and then it'll be business as usual.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #15 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Apart from the two month gap since Apple sued them.

Don't blame them. They didn't see it coming.
post #16 of 105
"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible,"

I had no idea HTC wrote that piece of garbage WinMo Phone Edition. Android of 2008 isn't much better. What made Android competitive was its use, starting in December 2009, of multitouch on a capacitive display--an Apple patented invention that Apple filed for in May 2004.

IANAL, but there's no legal requirement to sue immediately.

HTC had to expect some sort of involvement in a lawsuit after the multitouch upgrade was released in December. Perhaps they thought Google would be the direct target. Perhaps Google will be yet.
post #17 of 105
It appears the battle for mobile supremacy space will play out in courtroom.
post #18 of 105
Mutually Assured Distruction.

Wonder if the patent system will ever get reformed enough that a new entrant has a chance. System is so broken.
post #19 of 105
HTC sues Al Gore, claims violation of its internet patent.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #20 of 105
So where is Blackberry in all this?
post #21 of 105
"Last year, Finnish handset maker Nokia sued Apple, and the iPhone maker later countersued, with both companies accusing the other of patent violations."

And (correct me if I'm wrong, but) Nokia just filed another new lawsuit against Apple last week; right?
Ugh. Tedious.
post #22 of 105
Flash on mobile devices beats any HTML5 crud you'll have to wait for 5 years to even see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #23 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

competition and innovation?

more like...apple's ideas that we're trying to catch up with

cannot wait to see the android tablet

Don't forget the WebOS tablet by HP
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #24 of 105
HTC posted a video of its history on YouTube. Can't imagine this is anything less than a white glove slap across Apple's face in disguise...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yai2u3nVIN4
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #25 of 105
Who let the trolls out... who who who
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #26 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

cannot wait to see the android tablet

Why are you afraid of CHOICE? YOU may NOT like the Android tablet, but guess what - we share the planet with ~7billion others. Nobody's forcing you to buy the tablet. Some people like their tablets to have a USB port and a camera. And - they would like to surf the web with their tablet - something that is not possible with the iPad. Like it or not, Flash is on 90% of websites these days. And I don't want to have to go to a special version of each website I visit. That's ridiculous!
post #27 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

And now the whole system is tied up...

I foresee a settlement coming out of all of this and then it'll be business as usual.

Exactly. Everybody will posture, pontificate, bloviate, spin, point fingers, play the victim...and then sign cross licensing agreements to make it all go away. Everybody has patents that the other guy is probably violating. I would be surprised to see anyone (in this entire dog and pony show (Apple, HTC, Nokia, Nintendo, Google, Microsoft, et al)) win any advantage in court.
post #28 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible,"

I had no idea HTC wrote that piece of garbage WinMo Phone Edition. Android of 2008 isn't much better. What made Android competitive was its use, starting in December 2009, of multitouch on a capacitive display--an Apple patented invention that Apple filed for in May 2004.

IANAL, but there's no legal requirement to sue immediately.

HTC had to expect some sort of involvement in a lawsuit after the multitouch upgrade was released in December. Perhaps they thought Google would be the direct target. Perhaps Google will be yet.

Multitouch is a patent? Puuuuuuuhlese. While multitouch was patented for some reason, God knows why, that means that Palm could go after Apple for half of their products. I love the fact that the iPhone keyboard is a patent - the fact that the letters enlarge when you press each one. Apple should go ahead and patent the right for a touchscreen cell phone of any kind. Even better, they should patent the internet...they would if they could.

DROID INCREDIBLE
post #29 of 105
post #30 of 105
These are all ridiculous lawsuits. No one is making an exact copy of anyone elses phone, and all the cross-competition just makes all phones better. All these lawsuits do is divert money from R&D into legal and potential jack up prices for consumer and slow down new features from getting into phone. All those those patent troll companies in East Texas are bad enough but Apple, Microsoft, Nokia and HTC need to leave eachother alone and just focus on outdoing eachother with better features and better designs.
post #31 of 105

Absolutely ridiculous! HTC patented a flow-chart? I wonder who has the patent for flick switch -> light goes off . . . flick switch -> light goes on
post #32 of 105
who will win these lawsuits is moot. what is not questionable is that the taiwanese will get a lesson in juris prudence when they get into the usa court system, and that goes for the rest of the litigators.

apple has the best defense , by far. $40 billion in the bank!!
post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Taiwanese smartphone company HTC has responded to Apple's patent suit with a lawsuit of its own, accusing the iPhone maker of violating five patents.

What goes around comes around.
post #34 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

umm... it has nothing to do with the number of patents and everything to do with how important the patents are and how strong a case the plaintiff has. we don't know the answer yet on either count.

HTC? Innovation?

Oh, wait. They were serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Flash on mobile devices beats any HTML5 crud you'll have to wait for 5 years to even see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k

Is it Backwards Day already?

As it is, there is not currently ANY mobile device that run a full version of Flash. None.

As for html, people have been using html on mobile devices since the beginning. html 5 simply adds a few more commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

Multitouch is a patent? Puuuuuuuhlese. While multitouch was patented for some reason, God knows why, that means that Palm could go after Apple for half of their products. I love the fact that the iPhone keyboard is a patent - the fact that the letters enlarge when you press each one. Apple should go ahead and patent the right for a touchscreen cell phone of any kind. Even better, they should patent the internet...they would if they could.

I really wish people would make at least a modest effort to become educated on a subject before subjecting the world to their ignorance.

Apple didn't patent multitouch. Rather, the patents referred to as 'multitouch patents' cover very specific implementations - which is a legitimate use of the patent system.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #35 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As it is, there is not currently ANY mobile device that run a full version of Flash. None.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...nexus-one-vide

Android 2.2 in a week. And Flash 10.1 in June.

Currently? No. In a month? Completely different story.
post #36 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Absolutely ridiculous! HTC patented a flow-chart? I wonder who has the patent for flick switch -> light goes off . . . flick switch -> light goes on

I hope you're being funny.

If not, you do realize that the flow chart just describes a process. And Apple does use flow charts to describe processes in their own patents.
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...nexus-one-vide

Android 2.2 in a week. And Flash 10.1 in June.

Currently? No. In a month? Completely different story.

Damn, you beat me to it!

I would argue that the Nexus One does qualify as a mobile device that runs Flash 10.1. Froyo isn't released to the public yet, but the videos do show Flash running (as far as I can tell) perfectly fine. Games and videos.

jragosta, just give it up already.

Flash is coming to Android. It works. We'll be able to experience the good and the bad of Flash on the internet, but at least we have the choice. I'm sure there's going to be an option in the browser that allows us to disable loading of Flash objects.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #38 of 105
Engadget's Nilay Patel breaks it down:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/h...pple-examined/
post #39 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...nexus-one-vide

Android 2.2 in a week. And Flash 10.1 in June.

Currently? No. In a month? Completely different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Damn, you beat me to it!

I would argue that the Nexus One does qualify as a mobile device that runs Flash 10.1. Froyo isn't released to the public yet, but the videos do show Flash running (as far as I can tell) perfectly fine. Games and videos.

jragosta, just give it up already.

Flash is coming to Android. It works. We'll be able to experience the good and the bad of Flash on the internet, but at least we have the choice. I'm sure there's going to be an option in the browser that allows us to disable loading of Flash objects.

So we have TWO people who don't know the difference between a beta and a released product? I'm not surprised - as I said before - you Adobe shills are even worse than the Microsoft shills.

Even if Adobe does release 10.1 sometime this year, something like 1% of smart phones will have enough CPU power to handle it. I'm having a hard time understanding how that equates to 'Adobe was right and Flash is available for all mobile users" which is the BS that you shills have been spewing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #40 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

Why are you afraid of CHOICE? YOU may NOT like the Android tablet, but guess what - we share the planet with ~7billion others. Nobody's forcing you to buy the tablet. Some people like their tablets to have a USB port and a camera. And - they would like to surf the web with their tablet - something that is not possible with the iPad. Like it or not, Flash is on 90% of websites these days. And I don't want to have to go to a special version of each website I visit. That's ridiculous!

hmm, no

i'm not afraid of choice

but don't you agree that it would be more interesting if all competing tablets were different instead of the ipad against the ipad wannabees?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC countersues Apple, claims infringement of five patents