or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adding Facebook features to iPhone OS 4 - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adding Facebook features to iPhone OS 4 - rumor

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPhone OS 4 could sport built-in integration with Facebook, including contact syncing and social connectivity to App Store software, according to a new report.

Citing a "plugged-in source in the mobile industry," Silicon Alley Insider reported Wednesday that the forthcoming iPhone software upgrade will "at least" allow direct syncing with Facebook contacts. The report said the feature could be unveiled as soon as June 7, at the keynote address at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

"We also hear that Apple could be integrating Facebook Connect directly into its software developers kit so programmers can more easily add Facebook 'social' features to their apps," author Dan Frommer wrote. "But we don't have details on how that might work."

He also speculated that Apple could build "some sort of Facebook messaging features" into the latest version of the iPhone OS, such as allowing messages to be sent via Facebook Chat in a manner as simple as sending a text message.

Integration with Facebook is already a prominent feature of Google's competing mobile operating system, Android 2.0, released last year. Microsoft has also planned strong Facebook connectivity with its forthcoming Windows Phone 7, due out later this year.

In early April, Apple introduced iPhone OS 4 with 100 new features, the largest of them multitasking support for the mobile operating system. Developers currently have access to preview builds of iPhone OS 4, but the software does not currently offer any integration with Facebook.
post #2 of 56
post #3 of 56
I'm not sure I buy this story either.

(Edit: the more i think about it, it's not so far fetched)
post #4 of 56
It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

I'm first

2002 called and they want their "first post" comment back.

Back to the topic at hand, this isn't terribly implausible. By baking in Facebook Connect support into the iPhone OS, that facilitates app developers in adding that functionality into their apps, much like Location Services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it

I don't see why it wouldn't be an optional feature. You can turn off almost everything else (e.g., Push Notifications). You don't even need to configure e-mail on your iPhone/iPod touch. You can be fairly anonymous.

Facebook Connect would be opt-in.
post #6 of 56
Four letter word starting with 'f' followed by 'no!' in all caps.

Facebook is a plague.
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it

It better be. I don't have Facebook and I don't want it. And I don't want to see traces of it all over OS 4.0
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by applezilla View Post

four letter word starting with 'f' followed by 'no!' in all caps.

Facebook is a plague.

+1,000,000
post #9 of 56
They have an app, leave it at that please. Facebook is like AOL....junk.

No need for integration into the OS.
post #10 of 56
Count WebOS as another OS that already has this feature...not that anyone cares. Who knows, now that HP is running the show maybe it will actually become a decent market player.
post #11 of 56
Facebook, the new AOL. Oops, just saw Technohermit's post. Anyway, I wonder if Zuckerberg is Steve Case's nephew.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

They have an app, leave it at that please. Facebook is like AOL....junk.

No need for integration into the OS.

I don't use Facebook myself, but if it helps sell oodles of iPhones, I'm okay with it.

That's my perspective as an AAPL shareholder.
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I don't use Facebook myself, but if it helps sell oodles of iPhones, I'm okay with it.

That's my perspective as an AAPL shareholder.

I agree with that aspect of it too. Especially with 400M accounts.

I'm surprised there aren't tons of Facebook branded feature phones.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #14 of 56
Yawn. One of these days, I should try this Facebook/social networking thing-y.

Yawn.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it

I'm sure it is considering not everyone has a Facebook account...
post #16 of 56
I thought that FaceBook fad was just about over?
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I thought that FaceBook fad was just about over?

Sadly, no.
post #18 of 56
I hate that this is even mentioned. Facebook sucks bahlz. 90% of people on it don't know how to keep private stuff private either. Might as well upload a map to their hidden key and post when they will be out of town and their alarm code too.

I don't see Apple selling their soul to Facebook. If they thought it was the greatest thing out there, they would create their own and make it not suck.
post #19 of 56
I can't see this as anything but an option and a bad one at that. What value does it give to have that crap on my iPhone - if they "add" it I hope it is done like iBooks - it is accessible but dump-ible cause I would prefer to have the space than have that. If it is an add-on then at least we can dump it.

I am not sure I buy adding it to the OS anyway. iPhone is much more about lean and powerful - and with OS4 why would it need to be part of the OS anyway if it has an API that is accessible?
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I can't see this as anything but an option and a bad one at that. What value does it give to have that crap on my iPhone - if they "add" it I hope it is done like iBooks - it is accessible but dump-ible cause I would prefer to have the space than have that. If it is an add-on then at least we can dump it.

It would be something like e-mail on the iPhone. You have to configure it. If you don't have it or don't want to use it, you would be free to basically turn it off.

Just like Location Services or WiFi.

Not a big deal.
post #21 of 56
So over facebook. Have now deleted my account. Keep it optional please.
post #22 of 56

deleted


Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 10:46am
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it

I must be only one of the few in this planet who does not feel so enthused with Facebook. I admit that most of my family are into Facebook and they have been encouraging me to join them there. But, after trying Facebook, I find it so intrusive. You basicaly do not have much privacy. All your moves within the system are tracked. Why should it broadcast that I visited such page or site?

I made a mistake of using an email address that another person happen to have gotten hold of. Now, I have been requested several times by Facebook to buddy with that person. I do not even know if the other person actually requested such a buddy requested. She would have told me if she did.

I read that Facebook has some more diabolical ways to invade people's privacy.

Not sure if it is as bad as Google's attempt on social networking.

I have not read of reports about Apple being too intrusive on people's privacy. I am sure Apple collects data but Apple so far has only sent me emails using the address I signed up in. No other types of mailings so far.

Thus, I hope Apple would not inadvertently expose its customers by making the "apps" of companies like Facebook as default features of any Apple product.

CGC
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I don't use Facebook myself, but if it helps sell oodles of iPhones, I'm okay with it.

That's my perspective as an AAPL shareholder.

Ugh, it won't be helping anyone. Facebook will be on all platforms and no one cares about this crap.

I'd wish that others would understand how much privacy they're losing with it and it would be nice if Apple came up with an alternative that allowed for more privacy. If not I'd suggest others and/or invest in Kickstart.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I don't see Apple selling their soul to Facebook. If they thought it was the greatest thing out there, they would create their own and make it not suck.

True, true. Which would piss off Zuckerberg, which would be a good thing. Because Zuckerberg's being a giant douche with user privacy.
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it

Agreed. Some of us don't need Facebook getting even more into our lives!
Besides, fb is hot now but it could en up like MySpace, who knows? There's always the 'next big thing'... Are they incorporating those too down the road?
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Ok, last count, Russians & other east european investors bought $200 million in Facebook stock...:

Someone I know who lives on FaceBook had her e-mail compromised, and everyone in her address book was sent an e-mail with a link re-directing to a Russian pharmacy/meds/viagra site. Coincidence???
post #28 of 56
facebook sucks.
post #29 of 56
Is there a middle school assignment "post your opinion on facebook?"
What is with the level of discourse here? OF COURSE any such integration would be optional. I know people overuse the word inconceivable, but some sort of mandatory fb connection is just that.

Sheesh. I'm all for a rational discussion of the privacy issues of social media sites, but the posts tonight have been cringe-worthy at best...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there a middle school assignment "post your opinion on facebook?"
What is with the level of discourse here? OF COURSE any such integration would be optional. I know people overuse the word inconceivable, but some sort of mandatory fb connection is just that.

Sheesh. I'm all for a rational discussion of the privacy issues of social media sites, but the posts tonight have been cringe-worthy at best...

Of course it will be optional. But it's also possible that every single app will have facebook elements to it, and you see them all the time, even if you don't use them. Like Facebook links, and menu items, and of course iAds. Creepy.
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there a middle school assignment "post your opinion on facebook?"
What is with the level of discourse here? OF COURSE any such integration would be optional. I know people overuse the word inconceivable, but some sort of mandatory fb connection is just that.

Sheesh. I'm all for a rational discussion of the privacy issues of social media sites, but the posts tonight have been cringe-worthy at best...

Perhaps this is because Facebook's stance on privacy is "cringe worthy". You don't have to read the tea leaves here to get the sense that there's backlash going on right now.

I've been on FB for a couple years now and frankly it's reached a point of saturation wrt how important it is and what it offers. Many of us don't want to see Apple spending too much effort to integrate FB functionality into the OS when it's not even clear if FB is going to keep a lot of their current customers.

FB isn't the end all be all of social networking. In fact it's becoming pretty annoying to me, and judging from the posts in this thread I'm not alone.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

I'm first

Bitch!
post #33 of 56
What's with this "it better be optional" talk? Of course it would be optional. Is it going to read your mind and get your login info or create an account for you if you don't have one?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Perhaps this is because Facebook's stance on privacy is "cringe worthy". You don't have to read the tea leaves here to get the sense that there's backlash going on right now.

Sure. And like I said, I am all for a rational discussion of privacy issues and facebook backlash. It just seemed that we were stuck at "facebook sucks" and "if this isn't optional I'm throwing my iPhone in the trash!" for too long...
Quote:
I've been on FB for a couple years now and frankly it's reached a point of saturation wrt how. important it is and what it offers. Many of us don't want to see Apple spending too much effort to integrate FB functionality into the OS when it's not even clear if FB is going to keep a lot of their current customers.

FB isn't the end all be all of social networking. In fact it's becoming pretty annoying to me, and judging from the posts in this thread I'm not alone.

Well it may not be the end all be all, but outside of twitter, who else is there, realistically?

I agree, fb's capricious behavior with respect to privacy is troubleing and may well bring them down. But, for what it does, I don't see any replacement, yet.

I am currently out of work recovering from surgery. Thanks to facebook, I am still linked in to social stuff that is happening at work; I had people bring food to me that was organized through fb; I have recieved get well wishes that were appreciated; and, finally, I was able to keep up with both facts and rumors about my boss going out on medical leave. None of this would be impossible without fb, but for a one week absence from work it is damn convienent...

So, I may turn against fb. I do share everybody's privacy concerns, but for now I find it usefull and I welcome Apple's possible efforts to make it work better for me.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What's with this "it better be optional" talk? Of course it would be optional. Is it going to read your mind and get your login info or create an account for you if you don't have one?


I could have saved a lot of digital ink if I just waited for your post! Brevity is the soul of wit...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Sheesh. I'm all for a rational discussion of the privacy issues of social media sites, but the posts tonight have been cringe-worthy at best...

Yeah, you know the bar is set really high when the first post is "I'm first."

This place is going to the dogs.

post #37 of 56
of course! it's optional. but that won't stop your friend from syncing his/her addressbook to facebook! and that includes your contact info if you happen to be in his/her addressbook.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...It just seemed that we were stuck at "facebook sucks" and "if this isn't optional I'm throwing my iPhone in the trash!" for too long...

Well it may not be the end all be all, but outside of twitter, who else is there, realistically?

"We" aren't stuck anywhere. There is no "we". I utterly despise Facebook and I will not upgrade to iPhone OS 4.0 if it includes built-in Facebook integration at the API level. It will mean apps can fish for information and transmit it to Facebook servers. Any bugs suddenly become much more problematic, since FB tends to default to "share everything with anybody" mode.

I am not going there, it's that simple.

As to who else is there, the alternatives to Facebook are simple too, like not having it and not needing it.

But if you MUST have it, then just get the Facebook app. It's not like you need to walk over hot coals to download it.
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

"We" aren't stuck anywhere. There is no "we". I utterly despise Facebook and I will not upgrade to iPhone OS 4.0 if it includes built-in Facebook integration at the API level. It will mean apps can fish for information and transmit it to Facebook servers. Any bugs suddenly become much more problematic, since FB tends to default to "share everything with anybody" mode.

I'm sure there will be the option of turning it off (just like Location Services), especially because not everyone has a Facebook account.

As I mentioned before, you don't even need to configure e-mail on your iPhone/iPod touch, you can block cookies on Safari, etc.

It's the same thing with today's apps with Facebook/Twitter/foursquare/etc. integration. You're not forced to use this stuff.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I must be only one of the few in this planet who does not feel so enthused with Facebook. I admit that most of my family are into Facebook and they have been encouraging me to join them there. But, after trying Facebook, I find it so intrusive. You basicaly do not have much privacy. All your moves within the system are tracked. Why should it broadcast that I visited such page or site?

I made a mistake of using an email address that another person happen to have gotten hold of. Now, I have been requested several times by Facebook to buddy with that person. I do not even know if the other person actually requested such a buddy requested. She would have told me if she did.

I read that Facebook has some more diabolical ways to invade people's privacy.

Not sure if it is as bad as Google's attempt on social networking.

I have not read of reports about Apple being too intrusive on people's privacy. I am sure Apple collects data but Apple so far has only sent me emails using the address I signed up in. No other types of mailings so far.

Thus, I hope Apple would not inadvertently expose its customers by making the "apps" of companies like Facebook as default features of any Apple product.

CGC

I honestly don't see what everyone is complaining about regarding Facebook. If you don't have any interest in what Facebook has to offer or are concerned with its privacy issues, then fine, you don't have to use it... but lets not demonize it.. especially coming from someone who for all we know may have only tried using it briefly (after your family kept urging you to) and gave up.

I operate on Facebook using one simple rule: DONT POST ANYTHING THAT YOU WOUDN'T CARE FOR ANYONE/EVERYONE TO SEE!. simple. its not like i've got a bunch of secrets i'm dying to post online but don't want anyone else to see them. I get to go to one place where a ton of people i know are all there, and interact with them. What i don't want them to know, they don't know because I don't write it/join it/install it/comment on it. Privacy maintained.

All your moves within the site are NOT tracked. Thats insane. And it doesn't broadcast when you visit a page or a site. Sure, if you "join" something or "post" on something it does.. but then again... see the above rule. You seem to be mixing your confusion over how Facebook actually works with ideas you've conjured up and pose as fact, but are untrue. So you're getting a friend request from someone you don't think you know.. maybe its that other person thinking they know you? That's hardly an invasion of privacy, just a simple mistake. Maybe you DID know them and you forgot you'd met them. That's plausible. But you can always ignore someone or block someone. So it's really not this big evil monster you make it out to be.

When you first join, all your settings are NOT set to show everyone everything... some are.. some aren't. And yes its up to you to manage those, but lets face it... Most people don't dig deep into their settings and manage them (like everyone should) and so Facebook errs on the more open side of the privacy settings for new accounts so people can actually make connections with you without having to know all your info. If you don't want this, change your settings or don't join.

And what are these "more diabolical ways" Facebook has that invade your privacy that you've read about? If they're so diabolical, then why not mention them instead of the examples you gave which weren't really invasions of privacy at all?

All i'm seeing on this thread is complaining about FB and how useless it is because YOU don't find use for it/have issues with it, when clearly thats not the case for the majority of people... particularly iPhone buyers. Besides, this feature that they list of syncing your contacts with your facebook friends in fact ALREADY EXISTS! the latest facebook app does this and of course you can turn that function on or off. Its been there for months. No large scale privacy snafus. Nothing.

Everyone's got their panties in a wad over what will ultimately be a non issue / an opt in thing for those who want it. Simma down people. Simma down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adding Facebook features to iPhone OS 4 - rumor