or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Problems with gaming/video streaming being choppy and slow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problems with gaming/video streaming being choppy and slow.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have a 2010 MBP C2D 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, 250gb x5400 RPM HD. I have TimeWarner Cable's Roadrunner cable modem, basic service, running through a Linksys wireless router. I am having issues with video streaming/online gaming.

My basic problem is that video (Netflix, Youtube) and gaming (Eve) is slow and choppy, both video and sound. I just signed up for Eve and I was going through the main introduction video and it simply did not work at all.

I just did a speed test at speedtest.net and my download speed is 8mb/s, with an upload of .35mb/s. I have no idea if that is good or not. What I am confused about is the fact that while streaming through Netflix on my Xbox 360, everything works great. No choppiness, no problems. So is it my internet connection or is there something I'm missing with the MBP?

Any other Eve players that could shed light on settings I'm missing? Anything? It is really irritating to have a new laptop that won't play a game that I have friends with 3 year old computers that play it fine.
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
So I just tried the same things on my wife's SAME MBP and it is working with no problem. What in the world gives? We have the same amount of free memory, same specs and same EVERYTHING.

Argh.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomasa View Post

So I just tried the same things on my wife's SAME MBP and it is working with no problem. What in the world gives? We have the same amount of free memory, same specs and same EVERYTHING.

Argh.

You must have installed something that hogs CPU cycles.... something that is not present on your wife's computer.

Have a peek in the task manager and see what that may be...



Dan
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
How do you mean CPU cycles? I'm sorry I'm not the most fluent in tech talk yet.

I checked the activity monitor and there is nothing significant whatsoever. The only add-ons that I installed are Glims and SIMBL agent, and they are taking up minimal memory.

Also to add: The situation is changed a bit, I did a few restarts in a row and now my computer will stream fine from Netflix and Youtube. It is only having problems with Eve now. They aren't as bad as they were but this indicates to me that the internet connection isn't as good as it needs to be for gaming. Is this correct?
post #5 of 9
Several people I know in the MidWest have Road Runner/Time Warner. All hate it, as it throttles down after the 1st 10MB of data. FIOS is great, but generally not available in markets where RR/Time Warner operate. Check to see if you can get AT&T U-verse.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomasa View Post

How do you mean CPU cycles? I'm sorry I'm not the most fluent in tech talk yet.

That's just a term for processor usage units. When your computer is idling, an idle process takes up all the free cycles. When something needs to use more power, the idle process gives back some of the available cycles.

I think the term comes from the fact that every processor has its clock rate, i.e 500mhz, 2.53 Ghz, etc.. which means that every split second that corresponds to its clock rate, something has to happen, in some cases that something is nothing.

A fluorescent bulb operates at 60Hz, which is 60 blips/flashes a second...a CPU's clock speed is waaay faster than that, which allows it to display video fluidly and what not...but when it is busy with something else, thru cooperative multitasking it has to skip frames, and the video becomes jerky....

But i think the guy above that's replied about your broadband service has a good explanation. I'm on AT&T and it's great, except for when the cable gets wet under the house



Dan
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Several people I know in the MidWest have Road Runner/Time Warner. All hate it, as it throttles down after the 1st 10MB of data. FIOS is great, but generally not available in markets where RR/Time Warner operate. Check to see if you can get AT&T U-verse.

That makes perfect sense, as the game and videos are perfect for the first minute or two and then the choppiness begins. Thanks!

BTW, is there a way to test the speed over a longer period of time so I can see exactly how bad it throttles down?
post #8 of 9
The FCC rules prohibiting ISP throttling has been overturned in Federal court.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomasa View Post

That makes perfect sense, as the game and videos are perfect for the first minute or two and then the choppiness begins. Thanks!

BTW, is there a way to test the speed over a longer period of time so I can see exactly how bad it throttles down?

There's probably a program that can do that, but I don't know any offhand.
If you have a RapidShare account, download a file over 10MB, and watch the download window to see how much the speed changes after the 10MB mark.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Problems with gaming/video streaming being choppy and slow.