or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Foxconn to ship 24M next-gen iPhones with improved displays in 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foxconn to ship 24M next-gen iPhones with improved displays in 2010

post #1 of 102
Thread Starter 
Foxconn, the manufacturer of Apple's fourth-generation iPhone, will ship 24 million units in 2010, with new LCD displays that include IPS and FFS technology for improved e-book reading capabilities, according to component makers.

Industry sources shared the information with Ming-Chi Kuo, analyst with Digitimes. The Taiwanese industry publication reported Monday that Apple's next-generation iPhone will adopt the same in-plane switching (IPS) technology for superior viewing angles on its LCD display as the iPad. The new iPhone display will also reportedly include fringe-field switching, or FFS, technology.

"By incorporating FFS technology, which enables a wider viewing angle and clearer visual quality under in sunlight, Apple is aiming to improve the handset's e-book reader functions and promote its iBooks store," the report said. "HTC's Hero smartphone has already adopted this technology."

Foxconn is expected to ship 4.5 million next-generation handsets in June alone. The report also reconfirmed that the next iPhone will have a 960x640 pixel double-resolution display. Screens will reportedly be supplied by LG Display and Prime View International.

But the report also claimed that the next-generation iPhone will include 512MB of RAM from Samsung. That specifically contradicts the markings on a leaked iPhone prototype from Vietnam that was dismantled and pictured last week. The labels on that phone's A4 processor indicated that it included 256MB of system RAM -- the same amount found in the recently released iPad.

Finally, Kuo said suppliers indicated the new iPhone's display panel is 33 percent thinner than previous generation devices, which will allow more space within the handset for larger battery modules, supplied by Simplo Technology and Dynapack International Technology. The larger battery was confirmed in Gizmodo's teardown of an obtained iPhone prototype, which found a battery 19 percent larger than the current iPhone's power supply.
post #2 of 102
Yowza!!!
post #3 of 102
Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.
post #4 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.

OLED is NOT better, it is useless outside.
post #5 of 102
Quote:
aiming to improve teh handset's

Yet another AI post with an obvious typo. I love this site, but these guys really need to have their worked proofed before they post. I agree, however, that "just because everyone is doing it" doesn't mean OLED is better. It's just like cramming more pixels into a camera - most manufacturers did it because ignorant consumers "knew" that more is better...
post #6 of 102
OLED would not be better for all of the uses.

It may be better inside in the right light, but the technology being mentioned here will be a much better compromise, if it even is a compromise, than putting in an OLED screen.

This is great news for the iPhone.

I only wish that it had a 4.x inch screen like so many are getting now. 3.5 inch seems a tad small these days.
post #7 of 102
awesome. 512MB of RAM??

I wouldn't buy if the 4G had a OLED screen.
post #8 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.

Take it outside. Literally and figuratively.
post #9 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

OLED would not be better for all of the uses.

It may be better inside in the right light, but the technology being mentioned here will be a much better compromise, if it even is a compromise, than putting in an OLED screen.

This is great news for the iPhone.

I only wish that it had a 4.x inch screen like so many are getting now. 3.5 inch seems a tad small these days.

I'm not letting myself become to excited about the new iPhone. Because, I don't think I can get the upgrade price from At&t. I purchased a refurbished 3G iPhone last July. I read the ai article about At&t allowing early upgrades... However - I checked my account and I am not permitted until 04/4/2011. Which doesn't make sense because I thought you get upgrade pricing per year? That would be 21 months with the same phone. Grrr...


From my account:

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 04/04/2011"

An iPhone 3GS would cost $399.00 right now.

Edit: Does this mean I get a small reduced price right now? I am so confused...
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
Reply
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
Reply
post #10 of 102
The new iPhone needs 512 MB RAM if it is to play in the "great specs" arena with many other new phones. But considering that the iPad has only 256 MB and does a decent job, it may just come with only 256 MB and be okay.

Frankly, I don't know why the iPad didn't come with 512 MB.

There's no doubt in my mind that the next iPad "refresh" will have 512 MB at least.

Here's hoping the iPhone does have 512 MB.
post #11 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimitrott View Post

Yes, Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Nexus One? What's that?

The handset that Google is running away from?
post #12 of 102
It might be possible that we will meet a second version of Apple A4 processor:

- Apple A4 with 256MB DRAM in lowest cost, 16GB, version of iPhone 4G as well as in iPad
- Apple A4 with 512MB DRAM in higher end iPhone 4G, with 32GB and, possibly, 64GB FLASH models

Multitasking and competition from Android...
post #13 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the report also claimed that the next-generation iPhone will include 512MB of RAM from Samsung. That specifically contradicts the markings on a leaked iPhone prototype from Vietnam that was dismantled and pictured last week. The labels on that phone's A4 processor indicated that it included 256MB of system RAM -- the same amount found in the recently released iPad.

Just because the stolen iPhone had the A4 with 256MB RAM does not mean that there are not other versions out there. I have seen prototype Macs in the wild with varying components right before shipping. They can get great value stress testing with all available models even if they do not match exactly the final specs. Remember that the unfortunate fellow that had his iPhone STOLEN was working on the radio.
post #14 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

The new iPhone needs 512 MB RAM if it is to play in the "great specs" arena with many other new phones. But considering that the iPad has only 256 MB and does a decent job, it may just come with only 256 MB and be okay.

Frankly, I don't know why the iPad didn't come with 512 MB.

There's no doubt in my mind that the next iPad "refresh" will have 512 MB at least.

Here's hoping the iPhone does have 512 MB.

I think the value of spec-comparison is vastly over rated. Why not speak in terms of what you want in terms of a result, as opposed to a means?

I understand if someone says "I hope the next revision of this device runs faster," but who cares how much RAM it has? Who is to say RAM is even the limiting factor? These are just conclusory statements that fail to articulate any real objective.
post #15 of 102
Lol I love when the RAM question comes up. Everyone weighs in with the, "If they don't double it this time, the phone will suck"

What geniuses and engineers we have! Good grief, go crawl in a hole, pls.

This iPhone will have 256 mb of RAM on the A4, because the iPad does. Plain and simple. No exception, no possibility of exception. Sorry, but it's truth.
post #16 of 102
FFS , For *&% Sake Technology ......... Will there be LOL or ROFL tech as well?

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #17 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.

Apple are shipping nearly 30m devices with this display, and presumably a load of iPod Touches too.

OLED is okay for devices that ship a few million, but they can't be made in the necessary quantities.

In addition it isn't the miracle technology that it is hailed as, although it is very neat and has some real benefits.

I wonder if this is a real 640x960 display (real as in all R,G,B sub-pixels present in each pixel) - if so, that's a major improvement and incredible DPI.
post #18 of 102
Very happy to hear about IPS and FFS but I am not sure how much of this can be believed. I don't see IPS on a phone as important as it is on a tablet which is more likely to be viewed by others at varying angles. Plus, even on a small screen I think IPS would take up more power which is still the limiting factor of smartphones. Hopefully the 16.4% larger battery and specialized A4 and tighter silicon will substantially add to the battery life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The larger battery was confirmed in Gizmodo's teardown of an obtained iPhone prototype, which found a battery 19 percent larger than the current iPhone's power supply.

How are sites getting 19%? My calculations come out to 16.4% increase.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Take it outside. Literally and figuratively.

First funny of the day. Good way to start the week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

I only wish that it had a 4.x inch screen like so many are getting now. 3.5 inch seems a tad small these days.

Of course it's small, it's a phone. I want something that fits in my hand and pocket comfortably. I think 3.5" was well thought out before they went with it. They could have gone with 4.x" from the start and had a lot more room for more HW and bigger battery, but they didn't. I don't expect that to change until they can make the screen bigger without making the footprint remain the same.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.

OLED is a joke. It doesn't use a backlit system. It relies on the material and that sh** doesn't last very long. ISP display with double resolution. Get out of town!
It will blow OLED away!!!!!!
post #20 of 102
The Nexus One display is better than the current iPhone but it may not be as good as a new 960 x 480 LCD from Apple. The Nexus resoltuion is limited by the pixel technology to Quote Wikipeadia

Quote:
The Nexus One has a 3.7 inch AMOLED screen with PenTile matrix pixel arrangement.[36] The raster resolution is 800x480 pixels, however each pixel in the PenTile RGBG display has only two subpixels (red and green, or blue and green alternately),[37] rather than the three found in most displays. This gives it a total effective subpixel resolution of a 392x653 RBG display.[37]

The LCD display may also provide advantages in average power usage, thickness, oil resistance, day time use, touch layer sensitivity etc. and cost. We won't really know until it ships.

As far as update prices go, If I remember from last time AT&T gives you some price relief on a early upgrade but not as much as a two year or 18-month turnover. So instead of getting the new iPhone for $199 plus 2 yr contract, it may have been $299 plus 2 yr contract ( or even $399) but less then paying off the old contract or paying retail for the new phone.
post #21 of 102
RAM = Ridiculous Argument Maker
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's son View Post

I'm not letting myself become to excited about the new iPhone. Because, I don't think I can get the upgrade price from At&t. I purchased a refurbished 3G iPhone last July. I read the ai article about At&t allowing early upgrades... However - I checked my account and I am not permitted until 04/4/2011. Which doesn't make sense because I thought you get upgrade pricing per year? That would be 21 months with the same phone. Grrr...


From my account:

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 04/04/2011"

An iPhone 3GS would cost $399.00 right now.

Edit: Does this mean I get a small reduced price right now? I am so confused...

$399 is a small reduced price, or whatever you want to call it. There's no secret here. You qualify for a full discount on 4/4/11.

AT&T must offer you a full discount every 24 months or sooner. I have an extremely high bill due to the number of lines on my plan, so I personally am offered an upgrade every 12 months, but that's the best you can get, and you need to spend over $200 monthly.
post #23 of 102
I'm curious about this 33% thinner display tech. I hope that it's bright or brighter than the current backlit system. The iPad is noticeably less bright than the iPhone.

Wasn't their a patent for including the touch matrix into the LCD to further reduce the size? With the iPhone HD being dramatically thinner their seems to be many things at work here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I wonder if this is a real 640x960 display (real as in all R,G,B sub-pixels present in each pixel) - if so, that's a major improvement and incredible DPI.

I'm sure we'll know the day they hit the stores.

I expected a stepping stone resolution not something that is 4x the number of pixels as the 3GS. Since this is a dense ppi and they kept with the same ppi for 3 years I have to think this will be the norm for at least another 3 years.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I think the value of spec-comparison is vastly over rated. Why not speak in terms of what you want in terms of a result, as opposed to a means?

I understand if someone says "I hope the next revision of this device runs faster," but who cares how much RAM it has? Who is to say RAM is even the limiting factor? These are just conclusory statements that fail to articulate any real objective.

Well for one some web pages have tons of pictures on them and on my 3G there will be a ton of blue blocks. It may be bad web design but it doesn't stop this issue. While I don't have a 3GS, I have heard this same issue exists with the iPad.

More RAM could also allow to keep more pages in memory instead of having 7 tabs open and having to refresh every time you switch.

I'd also believe that 512MB would be nice because Apple only has annual updates. While specs aren't everything, an advantage of Android is that they are on a ton of phones and will be continually updating hardware throughout the year. I think it's too early in mobile tech to say that specs don't matter. You could say that in the desktop space.
post #25 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This iPhone will have 256 mb of RAM on the A4, because the iPad does. Plain and simple. No exception, no possibility of exception. Sorry, but it's truth.

Why be sorry? Anyone remember the days when memory was limited? I would say that software back in those days were better than todays in many ways. Not in all aspects, but one thing todays software developers developing for mobile phones has to re-learn is to handle limited resources.

And they should on behalf of the users - because then the software will be faster and less resource consuming. And they will fit in more hardware configurations. And battery will be preserved. And the hardware may eventually come down to more reasonable prices compared to what you get. Maybe we are back to real time application thinking again!

Everybody demanding faster chip, more memory and all these things - time to re-think!
post #26 of 102
11/4/2010 (4/11/2010 US) I became eligible for upgrade, one of those new iPhones has my name on it.

I hope Australia gets it first day like the 3G, not staggered like the 3GS then we'll have it before America due to the dateline.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #27 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I think the value of spec-comparison is vastly over rated. Why not speak in terms of what you want in terms of a result, as opposed to a means?



I want to run a lot of programs in the background and still have some RAM headroom.
post #28 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimitrott View Post

Yes, Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.

Have you used OLED? If so, you must not get out much...in that they are near useless outside. Consumers that buy something because the hear a new buzzword, like OLED, even though it is inferior in many ways, are the easiest marks for sale people. They see you coming a mile away.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #29 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Just because the stolen iPhone had the A4 with 256MB RAM does not mean that there are not other versions out there. I have seen prototype Macs in the wild with varying components right before shipping. They can get great value stress testing with all available models even if they do not match exactly the final specs. Remember that the unfortunate fellow that had his iPhone STOLEN was working on the radio.

Different phone. The article mentions the phone from Vietnam not the one in the bar.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #30 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I expected a stepping stone resolution not something that is 4x the number of pixels as the 3GS.

I'm sure it all comes down to application compatibility. It's trivial to scale graphics up by 2x. A stepping stone resolution would have meant a UI re-write for most applications.
post #31 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Have you used OLED? If so, you must not get out much...in that they are near useless outside.

It depends on where in the world you live. OLED is the perfect technology already for cloudy London. Probably less so for California.
post #32 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Lol I love when the RAM question comes up. Everyone weighs in with the, "If they don't double it this time, the phone will suck"

What geniuses and engineers we have! Good grief, go crawl in a hole, pls.

This iPhone will have 256 mb of RAM on the A4, because the iPad does. Plain and simple. No exception, no possibility of exception. Sorry, but it's truth.

Why is this the 'the truth'. That is the same argument people made before the iPod Touch came out that it wouldn't exceed the storage of the iPhone. Yet the iPhone maxes out at 32GB while the iPod ships with up to 64GB.

I am not saying you are wrong. It makes sense that the iPhone wouldn't have more memory than the iPad. That doesn't mean that won't be the case, however. Likely, but not a certainty.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #33 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It depends on where in the world you live. OLED is the perfect technology already for cloudy London. Probably less so for California.

Ok, for vampires and Londoners, it is great. For the rest of us that are not in London and not part of the Twilight cast, it is not a great solution. Perhaps jimitrott and kotatsu were speaking as Twilight fans

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #34 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Why is the 'the truth'. That is the same argument people made before the iPod Touch came out that it wouldn't exceed the storage of the iPhone. Yet the iPhone maxes out at 32Gb while the iPod ships with up to 64GB.

I am not saying you are wrong. It makes sense that the iPhone wouldn't have more memory than the iPad. That doesn't mean that won't be the case, however. Likely, but not a certainty.

While you're right in that there is no certainty here, the iPhone and Touch capacity is very different from the iPhone and iPAd RAM capacity situation. The Touch is an iPod so it makes sense for it to have more NAND. It's always been high for the same generation. The iPad, however, NEEDS more RAM than the iPhone. The GPU needs more due to the higher pixel count and the apps need more because they do a lot more on that 10" display than they feasibly can do on a display 1/8th the area.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 102
I can't believe that they can fit 614,400 pixels on that small screen. Awesome.
post #36 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd68k View Post

It might be possible that we will meet a second version of Apple A4 processor:

- Apple A4 with 256MB DRAM in lowest cost, 16GB, version of iPhone 4G as well as in iPad
- Apple A4 with 512MB DRAM in higher end iPhone 4G, with 32GB and, possibly, 64GB FLASH models

The Gizmodo leak suggested the A4 in the iPhone had a smaller die size and they just guessed from similar markings that it had 256MB RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz

This iPhone will have 256 mb of RAM on the A4, because the iPad does. Plain and simple. No exception, no possibility of exception. Sorry, but it's truth.

Not necessarily. The iPhone will have a video chat camera unlike the iPad. The iPhone will ship with OS 4 unlike the iPad. The iPhone is a 4th gen product and the iPad is 1st gen. They are going to leave things out on the iPad so that people have a reason to upgrade next year.

I'm glad to hear about the IPS tech, I think that this version is shaping up to be the version that will need no further improvement.
post #37 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While you're right in that there is no certainty here, the iPhone and Touch capacity is very different from the iPhone and iPAd RAM capacity situation. The Touch is an iPod so it makes sense for it to have more NAND. It's always been high for the same generation. The iPad, however, NEEDS more RAM than the iPhone. The GPU needs more due to the higher pixel count and the apps need more because they do a lot more on that 10" display than they feasibly can do on a display 1/8th the area.

yes, absolutely, storage is used as a differentiator between product lines. And currently it would make more sense for the iPad to have more memory than the iPhone, though that is not static as both could be argued to benefit from more memory. Another case might be product cycles. Though the iPad and the new iPhone are likely too close together in launch to make a difference, in some case where there is a large gap, the 'smaller' device might end up with more at launch, simply because it launch significantly later and market conditions made using more memory make sense.

I don't think the iPhone will have more memory than the iPad, just that the iPad being the big brother doesn't guarantee it won't have less.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #38 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Yet another AI post with an obvious typo. I love this site, but these guys really need to have their worked proofed before they post.

Oh dear - I really hate when this happens, but did YOU proof your "worked"?

Yeah - I know - but you are not being paid for your comments.

Good naturedly submitted.
post #39 of 102
The real question is what does 24 million units suggest? Is that enough units to satisfy just AT&T consumers or does 24 million suggest a greater supply than usual because Apple is going to need more units when it breaks exclusivity?
post #40 of 102
"Foxconn is expected to ship 4.5 million next-generation handsets in June alone."

That would seem like a lot - but with the need for channel fill, it probably is not. They expect to sell 20 M iPhones in the in the second half of the year? Wow, pretty darn good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Foxconn to ship 24M next-gen iPhones with improved displays in 2010