or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › GQ magazine iPad sales start slow, but publisher has high hopes

GQ magazine iPad sales start slow, but publisher has high hopes - Page 3

post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

I am not buying a single magazine on the iPad.

what good is a magazine when I can load up hundreds of thousands of news websites, blogs, special interest sites, etc, all of them for free? In addition, all of them navigate and look great on the iPad.

I confess I wonder about their business model. I am happy with iPad friendly web sites that update as new information comes in. The idea of a monthly product is so 'print thinking'. Hopefully with new HTML5 design tools coming (hint hint) web sites for iPad can be exciting and dynamic.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #82 of 82
Looks like there are plenty of uninformed opinions, though.

I don't have an iPad yet, but I wanted to see what GQ was going to do about formatting their mag for the iPhone.

Not bad at all, actually. If you're in portrait mode, it's like an e-book with navigation-based pages and a table view table of contents. Each article is smoothly scrolling size-adjustable text with a popup menu for the media.

Flipping to landscape, you get a more realistic mag layout and two-page spreads with embedded media. There is a slider revealing a see-through page number 1 167 as you scroll. Though you can't zoom in far enough in landscape to read the text on the spreads, when you flip back to portrait, you're in the appropriate article. There are also page flip arrows on both sides in landscape.

There is a "subscribe" page on which you can buy 12 issues for $1 each.

I think they did a good job on the technical end of things. I'm not a GQ-kind of guy, but I applaud Conde Nast for this initial effort. I think a lot of people will come around and find magazine reading on Apple devices pleasurable if not preferrable.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › GQ magazine iPad sales start slow, but publisher has high hopes