or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch with 2MP camera spotted in yet another Vietnam leak

iPod touch with 2MP camera spotted in yet another Vietnam leak

post #1 of 63
Pictures of a new iPod touch sporting a new 2 megapixel camera have surfaced in Vietnam, though it's unknown whether the device was a scrapped 2009 prototype or a forthcoming product release.

Vietnamese site Tinhte once again has the scoop, with photos and video of the hardware running software diagnostics rather than the iPhone OS. The hardware has a camera centered on its back, much like the iPod touch model Apple was expected to announce last September, until the camera addition was quietly scrapped.

A sticker on the back of the device reveals the camera, part OV2665-6s, manufactured by Omnivision. That's the same company that provides the 3.2 megapixel camera for Apple's iPhone 3GS.

The device also sports 64GB of capacity (it reads '64G' and the iPod touch relies on a pair of 32GB Samsung NAND flash modules), and has a serial number identical to the September 2009 model, making it unclear whether the device is a 2009 prototype (some of which previously leaked into the wild), or a new, upcoming product from Apple.

Last year, AppleInsider first reported that technical issues caused Apple to remove the camera from the latest iPod touch revision, even though numerous third-party cases made it clear the product was in Apple's pipeline. A teardown of the third-generation iPod touch post-release revealed that the device contains space for a camera inside its hardware. People familiar with the matter have maintained that a camera-equipped iPod touch remained in Apple's pipeline.

Tinhte has been the source of a number of major Apple-related leaks in recent weeks. A week ago, the website obtained a fourth-generation iPhone prototype, and tore down the hardware to reveal an Apple A4 processor inside. Then, over the weekend, they showed off a refresh of Apple's 13-inch MacBook, complete with retail packaging. That product was formally released on Tuesday.

post #2 of 63
Time for AI to set up a branch in Vietnam.
post #3 of 63
Love the Cheerios icon for the serial number.
post #4 of 63
If this turns out to be true, why would Apple use an antiquated 2MP camera?

Technology aside, Apple should put more pressure on their suppliers to avoid these leaks. If I were Apple, I would also take more direct legal action against the culprits, or even lodge a formal complaint to the Vietnamese government.

CGC
post #5 of 63
The 2nd ipod touch (on the right) runs OS4 (see the calculator icon, the folder icon, and the game center icon on the 2nd home page)
post #6 of 63
what's the small hole next to the camera ?
post #7 of 63
What is up with all the leaks lately? If I was apple, I'd be pretty pissed by now. But I'm not apple...I'm just a person...so I'm not that pissed.
post #8 of 63
Just pictures?

It'd be nice to know if the GSM support is the same old frequencies or additional ones. i.e. T-Mobile USA's 3G frequency.
post #9 of 63
Quote:
simply258 \t what's the small hole next to the camera ?

Probably a mic.
post #10 of 63
Doesn't this guy know about Apple Ninjas? He keeps showing his face off like he doesn't think anything will ever happen to him. If he dies of mysterious disease in a few weeks, he was asking for it.
post #11 of 63
While it might be nice for apps, a camera in the Touch no longer interests me, now that I've got my nice new phone.
post #12 of 63
Since the new iPhone appears to have a more boxy design and these photos show the old curved back design, I'd guess this is the model that wasn't released last year. I doubt Apple would maintain the old design for the touch after updating the iPhone design. Besides, it's pretty much a certainty that the reason for scrapping the camera was that the old design wasn't thick enough to accommodate a high enough quality camera module.
post #13 of 63
Serial number and what could be (or not...) owner's name appears on iTunes screen...
post #14 of 63
The UI graphics look so un-Apple like to me although I guess they could be ultra beta style.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The device also sports 64GB of capacity,

No it doesn't. Look at the sticker again....32GB.

post #16 of 63
*GPS
*Digital compass
*Digital camera
post #17 of 63
what was that MMI UI? i've never seen it before.
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The UI graphics look so un-Apple like to me although I guess they could be ultra beta style.

un-apple like is an understatement.
post #19 of 63
I think this is the last year's prototype. No design change on this thing (I'm not sure but I think even the resolution is the same though it might be because of the test software running). New touch should be at least a little bit different, otherwise it is getting pretty hard to tell one generation from another visually. And since they are rolling out a new OS, I would opt for a new design to make it instantly recognizable as something that will for sure support OS4.

PS. Of course having a camera could pass as a design difference. I am not sure what to think anymore.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Just pictures?

It'd be nice to know if the GSM support is the same old frequencies or additional ones. i.e. T-Mobile USA's 3G frequency.

The current iPod touch doesn't hold any GSM support, and I would assume Apple doesn't plan to implicate such a thing due to their other product the iPhone.

PS: Comments fail when you scim read!
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's probably just the software for the factory personel that tests the hardware, before the iPhone OS, region lock and other specifics are loaded onto the phone.
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pictures of a new iPod touch sporting a new 2 megapixel camera have surfaced in Vietnam, though it's unknown whether the device was a scrapped 2009 prototype or a forthcoming product release. ...

Is it really unknown? The article presents nothing other than the 64 GB capacity that would indicate it isn't a 2009 prototype, and if you look at the label closely, that's simply wrong, it's 32 GB.

All of these Vietnamese leaks strike me as simple theft of prototypes by someone in the supply chain in the far east. Such prototypes have always existed, but no one previously would think of breaking their NDA to show them. It need not have anything to do with Vietnam in than that they might just be the buyers of the merchandise or the lucky cousin/friend of the thief.

Perhaps after the Gizmodo fiasco, some of those people now see that they can not only get money for leaking, but that no one's going to get in any *real* trouble over it either. This is why it's good business practice to throw the book at people like Jason Chen, when they do get caught.
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I think this is the last year's prototype. No design change on this thing (I'm not sure but I think even the resolution is the same though it might be because of the test software running). New touch should be at least a little bit different, otherwise it is getting pretty hard to tell one generation from another visually. And since they are rolling out a new OS, I would opt for a new design to make it instantly recognizable as something that will for sure support OS4.

PS. Of course having a camera could pass as a design difference. I am not sure what to think anymore.

i would hope that this years iPod Touch is thinner because the iPhone prototype acquired by gizmodo is almost as thin as the current iPod touch and has higher res screen, camera, GSM, GPS etc.
post #24 of 63
I'd be amazed if this is a prototype of a new Touch. Apple's design language has changed significantly since that gloss chrome back, and become more consistent - see the similarities between the iPad and the prototype 4G iPhone.

I expect the new Touch to have a matt aluminium back, possibly curved in towards the edges similar to the iPad to maintain the feeling of extreme thinness. Alternatively, it might be squarer like the new iPhone - especially if this is needed to fit a camera module.
Antosh
Antosh
post #25 of 63
The iPod touch includes two NAND flash modules (2x32GB). The sticker reads '64G.' I've updated the original story to reflect this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

No it doesn't. Look at the sticker again....32GB.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If this turns out to be true, why would Apple use an antiquated 2MP camera?

Because that's all you need for 720p HD video?
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply258 View Post

what's the small hole next to the camera ?

My ZN5 has that too, can't find any documentation anywhere that explains its function, but it is definitely not the microphone, think it might have something to do with autofocus.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #28 of 63
I always thought the the iPod touch was identical in size to the iPhone. I guess I never looked that closely. When I am at the Apple store, I was never holding both in my hand at the same time (I don't know if you even can since they are tethered to the tables).

I obviously don't own either - just a nano for me (the fatty).
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It's probably just the software for the factory personel that tests the hardware, before the iPhone OS, region lock and other specifics are loaded onto the phone.

Hope so, it looks like a M$ UI
post #30 of 63
I thought the reason that they didn't include the camera in the iPod touch was to keep it below $200. I thought Steve even commented as much during or after the announcement of the new model iPod touch.
post #31 of 63
I suspect strongly that this is the 2009 iPod Touch prototype.

I'm expecting the update this year to reflect the new iPhone styling at the very least.
post #32 of 63
If true this will be a huge FAIL -- 2 megapixel, wtf is that!!!?? In these days of 5mp at bare minimum and many phones and devices now offering 8 or higher mp, to offer 2mp is horribly bad and very 2007-8 (yes, tech changes fast). For Apple's sake I hope this is wrong and maybe fake... they will be laughed out of the keynote if Steve Jobs says with a straight face, "and now it has a great 2 megapixel camera." How is that going to compete with the Flip?! \
post #33 of 63
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to WWDC we had to cancel the product launches because Vietnam got a fake memo telling them to release them all...

But there is one more thing.....

"Sorry"
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I suspect strongly that this is the 2009 iPod Touch prototype.

I'm expecting the update this year to reflect the new iPhone styling at the very least.

Sad thing is to me even if it is a 2009 prototype - 2mp would have been still sad and horrible last year, too. 2mp has not been acceptable for 2-3 years now (to me). There is no rationalization for offering such a low quality device in 09 or 2010. I hope this is wrong. Heck, my piece of junk Samsung clam-shell phone in 2004 had a 2mp cam, so this will be inexcusable if true.
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I always thought the the iPod touch was identical in size to the iPhone. I guess I never looked that closely. When I am at the Apple store, I was never holding both in my hand at the same time (I don't know if you even can since they are tethered to the tables).

They're the same height and width; the iPhone is considerably thicker and heavier. I'll leave it as a homework assignment to you to visit the Apple.com website and find the specs yourself.

The cabling is long enough for you to pick up the units at the Apple Store.
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

what was that MMI UI? i've never seen it before.

It's part of the design test suite. You'll never see it on a production unit.
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If true this will be a huge FAIL -- 2 megapixel, wtf is that!!!?? In these days of 5mp at bare minimum and many phones and devices now offering 8 or higher mp, to offer 2mp is horribly bad and very 2007-8 (yes, tech changes fast). For Apple's sake I hope this is wrong and maybe fake... they will be laughed out of the keynote if Steve Jobs says with a straight face, "and now it has a great 2 megapixel camera." How is that going to compete with the Flip?! \

The iPod touch is very thin, too thin to accommodate high-quality autofocus camera modules. Allegedly the camera part was scrapped at the last minute because of QA issues.

Let's face it: Apple cannot suspend the laws of physics or ignore the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing. Last year, they likely decided that the available camera modules were not of sufficient quality, so they struck the idea.
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Nah, this is an engineering sample, not a factory (PVT/Ramp) unit. It is unlikely that factory personnel would have installed the iPhone OS on this device (it would be Apple engineering staff).

Also, it's not a phone, it's an iPod.
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Just pictures?

It's an iPod touch, not a phone. No cellular circuitry.
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I thought the reason that they didn't include the camera in the iPod touch was to keep it below $200. I thought Steve even commented as much during or after the announcement of the new model iPod touch.

Steve did not discuss the absence of a camera. Generally speaking, Apple focuses on what their hardware can do, not what it can't.

The way they kept the price down was to sell the previous generation iPod touch as the entry-level model.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch with 2MP camera spotted in yet another Vietnam leak